Homeless Outreach and the Drug Money Issue

Dr. C

So a couple of days ago, I had a guy trying to sell me his government fee phone for 10 bucks.

Not knowing whether or not it was a good deal I call a friend who points out that someone that pushy to get 10 bucks  is probably looking to get drugs and the thing that pushed it over the edge for me was government fraud risk as I am still a green card holder working on my dual and need to keep my record pristine until deportation risk is abated (And after that as citizenship is not a license for criminal activity but the stakes are certainly higher) 

So the same day there’s a woman holding up a cardboard sign that says “feed my family” on a median in the one of the most dangerous intersections in Southern California. 

As someone well versed in homeless outreach, I know that food is better than cash where such situations are concerned and try to get her to leave the median because endangering her life for her children isn’t worth it but she says she’s is 8 dollars short for a night at a motel and can’t leave until she’s knows her son hasn’t a roof over his head for the night.

I gave her the 8 bucks and she cones down and she is crying thanking me  for help and basically tells me she is starting a new job but has exhausted all her unemployment and is two days away from her first shift. She didn’t exactly fit the bill of homeless people I had met in the area so the lack of meth teeth and track marks certainly  lent credibility to the claim she’s Ian just someone down on their luck who has a child’s to consider. 

I told my friend this afterwards and got quite the earful over being taken advantage of. In the end the exchange ended with “You do you” but the sentiment was that I probably gave someone dope money.

Under the Overpass by Mike Yankoski has put homeless outreach near and dear to my heart so I wanted to ask...

Did I exercise good judgment or no?