Famitsu Character Poll Results

9 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Haha, I have fan art of this game's top girl in Japan as my profile pic.

Really, though, I'm just glad to see Annette and Marianne somewhere on this list.  Never done a playthrough without them.

And I also take particular delight in the GameFAQs community having a conniption over Bernadetta's placement.

Take pride in that, my man. :)

And yeah I get a little delight myself in seeing the GameFAQ's trip over themselves. They circle-jerk Bernadetta so much. I mean, it's one thing to have legit critcism but they just whine about her more often than not.

And amen to that. Never do a playthrough without Annette and Marianne myself. Bernadetta and Annette are pretty much always my top priority recruits.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Everyone loves Gatekeeper.  (Ive been calling Nigel) He is a Good Boi(tm) and puts a smile on everyone's face!

Fair point, but I'm surprised he was even an option.

Honestly I'm surprised that Seteth and Dedue didn't made it top 20. I believe they are more popular in West but is there's any reason why they aren't so liked in Japan?

Despite being polarizing, Edelgard is also low for a very marketed female lord, and  Byleth is the first avatar that didn't made into top 5, even Corrin was more popular...

Edited by Mylady

13 minutes ago, Mylady said:

Byleth is the first avatar that didn't made into top 5, even Corrin was more popular... 

This puzzles me because Byleth is so much better done as a character than Corrin imo.

Edited by Anacybele

18 minutes ago, Mylady said:

Honestly I'm surprised that Seteth and Dedue didn't made it top 20. I believe they are more popular in West but is there's any reason why they aren't so liked in Japan?

Despite being polarizing, Edelgard is also low for a very marketed female lord, and  Byleth is the first avatar that didn't made into top 5, even Corrin was more popular...

Seteth is an older male character. I think Japan don't like older guys. That's also why Alois and Hanneman aren't high.

As for Dedue...well my guess would be that part of the reason he's not that liked is that Japan don't tend to like characters with darker skin color. That's of course just my speculation.

46 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Seteth is an older male character. I think Japan don't like older guys. That's also why Alois and Hanneman aren't high.

As for Dedue...well my guess would be that part of the reason he's not that liked is that Japan don't tend to like characters with darker skin color. That's of course just my speculation.

I think it makes sense considering that Petra and Catherine are so low and Claude is the only dark skinned character that ranked high but but he is a lord.

Seteth doesn't count as old to me, but I think Japan prefer the lolis and  teen looking guys. 

Edited by Mylady

34 minutes ago, Druplesnubb said:

I think people are overstating the significance of top 20 due to how much smaller this cast is compared to most games in the series. Alois only has 69 votes and Judith has 10.

If they're including characters like Judith or the Gatekeeper, then that's at least 60 characters in that poll (there are about 60 unique characters in the game, not including alter-egos apart from the two versions of Byleth; goes up to over 80 if you include every named character and alter-ego in the game).  Top third in popularity isn't terrible, especially for a franchise whose characters are held to high standards and a game which people would generally say has no "bad" characters (or at least not many).

Whatever the case, one thing I do find significant and interesting is the fact that various NPCs ended up placing in top 40 over Gilbert and Ignatz.  I don't know whether to be in awe at their ability to make NPCs that are compelling enough for people to actually vote for them as their favorite or to laugh at how they managed to make two playable characters unappealing to players.

Also a bit surprised Rhea didn't break top 20.  I figured with the role she had in the story, she'd garner a lot more attention than most other maiden figures (I at least think she's a thousand times more interesting than either Emmeryn or Mikoto).  I know it's a small sample size, but still.

19 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I guess those top few archetypes are locked in for the next FE instalment then. I don't feel great about that.

So we'll see... polite yet secretly vengeful prince with severe trauma, charming foreign prince who wants to end racism, and tsundere swordsman who claims to care only for fighting...

Well, I personally feel great about seeing more of those in the future, especially since we already see one of those things in basically every installment.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

Also a bit surprised Rhea didn't break top 20.  I figured with the role she had in the story, she'd garner a lot more attention than most other maiden figures (I at least think she's a thousand times more interesting than either Emmeryn or Mikoto).  I know it's a small sample size, but still.

I think that holds Rhea back from being more popular is being a not being a playable unit. On top of her involvement in the post-time skip where she is an extremist or irrelevant with no in-between. Which is a shame considering she is one of the most important characters in the story. 

Umm... S support with Sothis!?

I just have learned something new because I did not even know a support with her could be established. Guessing it is in Silver Snow since a support never ever triggered with her before. 

Seeing Bernadetta as first was quite a shocker to me, but ok. At least Lys has her (well deserved) fans as well. 

Usual warning that a Famitsu poll (like all such polls) is drawing from a specific fanbase with its own biases, and I'd urge caution about generalizing the results to "Japan".

Bernadetta is far from my favourite character (though I do like her), but it's still great to see her do so well. I can't stand the hate she gets on places like GameFAQs. I've had multiple friends with social anxiety tell me how relatable they think Bernadetta is and that alone gives me a fair bit of respect for the character.

In fact both the top female and top male have major social anxiety.

Dimitri being #1 is great, he deserves it. I like Edelgard about as much but I know it's harder to get votes when you do obviously bad things (see also: Rhea being lower than she deserves IMO).

All the Eagles women (sans Bernadetta) seem lower in this poll than they "should" be? Dorothea is the most deployed character in the game and obviously very popular overall, Petra has always seemed very popular too. I'd wonder if this voterbase just doesn't like more assertive women except that Hilda and Lysithea did really well, so I dunno! Interesting anyway. Eagles getting the least votes overall doesn't seem like it'll be broadly typical.

The game pushes the lord S-supports pretty hard (especially Edelgard and Dimitri) so I'm not surprised to see them finish in the top spots.

6 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Seteth is low, but...more for me! But honestly, he's stupid popular across the pond, probably due to his VA being a memelord p, and his character not being a pile of tropes. I have a feeling such a list would look rather different outside Japan. Claude is likely the most popular lord in the west, and people are gaga for Dorothea and Hilda. 

I highly doubt that. Didn't Dimitri win that Reddit character poll? Reddit, a western site which notoriously has more men than women, when Dimitri is obviously more relatively popular with women? Dimitri just seems to be a very well-received character in general.

While I can see that a lot of those results aren''t exactly reliable data because of the fact Famitsu has a very specific fanbase... but, it makes clear something after some many goddamn polls telling the same thing.

Dimitri is actually more popular than Claude, not matter where you're, (unless you're in a Anti-Dimitri cult or something like that).

Seeing Dimitri on #1 warms my heart. 

I personally thought the Black Eagles girls would have been higher up the list. What a shocker. Petra not even making in the list. Dorothea being so far down the pecking order. I don't have qualms with Bernadetta. I find her relatable. 

It put me in tears to see Annette being in there. She needs to be protected at all cost and she's my favorite character in three houses! 

1 hour ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

Umm... S support with Sothis!?

I just have learned something new because I did not even know a support with her could be established. Guessing it is in Silver Snow since a support never ever triggered with her before. 

Seeing Bernadetta as first was quite a shocker to me, but ok. At least Lys has her (well deserved) fans as well. 

Sothis is available in all routes. She's the "???" option you see at the bottom of the list when you make your choice.

5 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Not too surprised to me actually, not only she's being made unplayable for unknown reason

She's only S support in Silver Snow, yet previous polls all indicated a large percentile, as much as 50% players haven't even played Silver Snow.