Famitsu Character Poll Results

9 hours ago, Hekselka said:

Seteth is an older male character. I think Japan don't like older guys. That's also why Alois and Hanneman aren't high.

As for Dedue...well my guess would be that part of the reason he's not that liked is that Japan don't tend to like characters with darker skin color. That's of course just my speculation.

So japan don't like black people. well damn majority of anime fans are black.. well were I live anyways lol

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dmitri and bernadetta won 1st place!! They're co-incidentally two of my favorite characters in three houses, and I like their backstory and sense of character development from the school phase to the war phase, like how bernadetta gains more confidence in her supports with the avatar after the timeskip in the A support.

However, I honestly thought characters like edelgard or claud would win...not two of my favorite characters I actually cared about!

Some people are worried that this means those character tropes will return in future games, but I have more faith in IS in general after Three Houses...they easily could've just made a fates 2.0 with extra dating students in the school phase, and the game still would've reviewed well and sold great mostly as it's on switch...but IS knew some of the hardcore fans were getting tired of that stuff and so they went back to their storytelling roots with this game, and it paid off I'd say!

Not everyone enjoyed the game, but coming from somebody who still to this day doesn't really enjoy fates and awakening and was worried IS was heading in a direction I wouldn't enjoy anymore, I can safely say I LOVED Three Houses!!

Edited by Dinar87

Really happy to Dimitri and Felix so high up. They are both great characters who deserve the attention.

Not surprised to see Edelgard where she is. They really should have commited on making her big bad/villain protagonist or super waifu instead of trying to have their cake and eat it too. 

I am not fond of seeing Bernadetta so high. As someone with anxiety myself, I really don't like how they portrayed her as either a moe blob or a joke character ("Look at her flail and shriek while happy music is playing. Hilarious! Isn't she so wacky and cute? Don't you want to heal her pain with your player love."). I don't want to imply people can't like her or relate to her, but personally I am put off.

I am mostly happy with the rest of the placements, though I feel Dorothea should be higher.

14 minutes ago, Nanima said:

I am not fond of seeing Bernadetta so high. As someone with anxiety myself, I really don't like how they portrayed her as either a moe blob or a joke character ("Look at her flail and shriek while happy music is playing. Hilarious! Isn't she so wacky and cute? Don't you want to heal her pain with your player love."). I don't want to imply people can't like her or relate to her, but personally I am put off.

I agree that her character is played as a joke way too much, but have you read her B supports or higher btw? They made me like her a lot more than I thought I would at first glance of her.

Does Gatekeeper have Hanae Natsuki as his VA or something? That's how Gatekeeper became such a huge meme with Kyle McCarley.

Surprised Koyasu wasn't able to carry Seteth.

I'm not surprised at this point if Dimitri wins the number 1 spot of CYL4. He's been so well received by large portions of the community as well as the people not into FE too much.

20 minutes ago, Dinar87 said:

I agree that her character is played as a joke way too much, but have you read her B supports or higher btw? They made me like her a lot more than I thought I would at first glance of her.

With Byleth? I thought the A support was okay (excluding S, because Byleth is too much of a wall to make any of those work), but her tragic backstory in B only highlighted how schizophrenic her characterization is. You get this really extreme tale of abuse and afterwards you can immediately go do a support with another character where the game tells you to laugh at her again. It makes it hard for me take her seriously. It's primarily the fault of the support system, but since Bernadetta isn't a main character, that's where most of her character is developed.

And I am also, again, not fond of how much the game pushes the "be the one to heal her pain" angle. 

1 hour ago, Nanima said:

And I am also, again, not fond of how much the game pushes the "be the one to heal her pain" angle. 

Feel like that kind of logic can be applied to may other characters in the game. Edelgard and Dimitri especially.

9 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Feel like that kind of logic can be applied to may other characters in the game. Edelgard and Dimitri especially.

Agreed, though I feel Dimitri at least had enough meaningful connections with other characters throughout his route, so it didn't feel like a complete Byleth show. Still salty that they had to be the one to give him the final push to regaining his senses. 

20 hours ago, De Geso said:

Surprised to see Edelgard so low. Perhaps it's because of what happened with Crimson Flower.

Given she's locked out of 3/4 routes

Spoiler

and is a villain in 3 of them,

I'd say #4 in popularity and #2 in first S-rank is a pretty strong showing. 

Edited by MoralityGames

I think the reason why Dorothea and Seteth ranked so low is because they had relationships with other people before which hurts their waifu/husbando potential. Dorothea’s low placement in particular doesn’t surprise me at all because japanese fanboys has an obsession with girls being “pure virgins”, so Dorothea hitting on other men is a big turn off for them. Kinda like the Love Live/Granblue controversy. 

Ironically womanizer characters like Sylvain, Inigo and Sain are popular with the female crowd.

Edited by Water Mage

45 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I think the reason why Dorothea and Seteth ranked so low is because they had relationships with other people before which hurts their waifu/husbando potential. Dorothea’s low placement in particular doesn’t surprise me at all because japanese fanboys has an obsession with girls being “pure virgins”, so Dorothea hitting on other men is a big turn off for them. Kinda like the Love Live/Granblue controversy. 

Ironically womanizer characters like Sylvain, Inigo and Sain are popular with the female crowd.

I mean it might be that or just this specific group of people are just not that enthusiastic for other reasons. There might be a myriad of reasons. Heck, maybe there was a limit to who you could vote for and someone else popped into mind first

21 hours ago, Crysta said:

I have a feeling if they changed his haircut and removed his glasses, Ignatz would be much more popular in these things lol

I have a feeling you right  ignatz is a huge sweetie, and it pains me that this wee almond isnt loved more.

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm surprised Seteth wasn't able to carry Seteth. He's one of the better characters out there and while old its hard to claim he's not very handsome. His low placement puzzles me a bit. 

B i g 

M o o d

but i am glad hes got popularity everywhere else. 

8 hours ago, redlight said:

I'm not surprised at this point if Dimitri wins the number 1 spot of CYL4

Same, and I'm happy for him if so. Gatekeeper's definitely getting into the top 20 too. I mean, if the Brigand Boss is an option in CYL...

2 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Dorothea’s low placement in particular doesn’t surprise me at all because japanese fanboys has an obsession with girls being “pure virgins”

That's just a shame.

1 hour ago, redlight said:

I mean it might be that or just this specific group of people are just not that enthusiastic for other reasons.

I hate to say it, but @Water Mage has a point about that sort of thing; it happens to a ton of idols/ singers in Japan. Heck, Haruhi's JPN VA went through hell because she "dared" to have a boyfriend a few years ago. Fanboys also have a problem with their "waifus" simply not being submissive; I've also heard of a few idols getting death threats for saying they supported feminism...

8 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

I have a feeling you right  ignatz is a huge sweetie, and it pains me that this wee almond isnt loved more.

I think gender plays a significant part in it, too, tbh.

Bernie possesses the same character flaws but dialed up to 1000. The traumatic background helps explain it but...

8 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I've also heard of a few idols getting death threats for saying they supported feminism...

I wonder what exactly the idols did when they supported feminism.

Anyway... I wonder if this has anything to do with the females at the top; Lysithea has great respect and admiration to Byleth, and you can't get more submissive and cute than Bernadetta in this game. In fact I think the way this character was designed she would literally go to whatever route without feeling too weird, because she wants to be with Byleth after she gets to know them.

Edited by Troykv

24 minutes ago, Troykv said:

I wonder what exactly the idols did when they supported feminism.

One of them literally just tweeted that they read a book about feminism. That's it. Cue the swarm of death threats until she removed the tweet and apologised for it.

1 minute ago, DefyingFates said:

One of them literally just tweeted that they read a book about feminism. That's it. Cue the swarm of death threats until she removed the tweet and apologised for it.

Oh, that is harsh. Poor girl.

46 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I hate to say it, but @Water Mage has a point about that sort of thing; it happens to a ton of idols/ singers in Japan. Heck, Haruhi's JPN VA went through hell because she "dared" to have a boyfriend a few years ago. Fanboys also have a problem with their "waifus" simply not being submissive; I've also heard of a few idols getting death threats for saying they supported feminism...

That's just a minority that lashed out became they're huge pricks. There are definitely those kinds of people that exist, but regular fans sometimes are just lumped together with the bad eggs. I don't think a couple dozen of people from a group of thousands are representative of said majority.

If you draw in several people chances are that a few of them will be nasty.

Edited by redlight

I'm pretty sure the reason Sothis is so high as first S-support is that she's available on every route as either gender, and is the only character that takes basically nothing to unlock, so if someone was so unfortunate as to not even reach A-support with anyone by the end of the game, they're stuck with Sothis.

10 minutes ago, redlight said:

That's just a minority that lashed out became they're huge pricks. There are definitely those kinds of people that exist, but regular fans sometimes are just lumped together with the bad eggs. I don't think a couple dozen of people from a group of thousands are representative of said majority.

If you draw in several people chances are that a few of them will be nasty.

Well, the fact Bernadetta won this poll definitely supports that narrative even if unintentionally, sadly, (unlike polls from previous games where the main female characters always won)

Edited by Troykv

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

hate to say it, but @Water Mage has a point about that sort of thing; it happens to a ton of idols/ singers in Japan. Heck, Haruhi's JPN VA went through hell because she "dared" to have a boyfriend a few years ago. Fanboys also have a problem with their "waifus" simply not being submissive; I've also heard of a few idols getting death threats for saying they supported feminism...

Oh the Japanese otaku such a disgusting lot. They’re basically the equivalent of an incel except worse. Seriously I may be a degenerate but even I can say these people are just utterly disgusting sexist pieces of filth. Idol and anime Otaku are probably the worst of them all because of the reasons you listed. The reason japanese idols aren’t allowed to date or anything is because it sort of ruins the fantasy of a “perfect and pure” girlfriend to these people. Like Idols are characters marketed to satisfy the fantasy of their fans cause they’re supposed to be “exclusive” to them. It’s gross and I don’t like it but whatever. If you ever want to complain about why there is so much fan service and such in anime and video games you can blame them cause as Miyazaki said himself “there are too many Otaku in the industry”

3 hours ago, Troykv said:

Well, the fact Bernadetta won this poll definitely supports that narrative even if unintentionally, sadly, (unlike polls from previous games where the main female characters always won)

Maybe it's more of a preference or a desire to protect. Most dudes, gals or other do have a inner white knight in them. Even if it's a preference, it doesn't mean that anything that doesn't fit one's preference is necessarily bad or repulsive.

But if were talking about pissed off turbo virgins then there's a different crowd altogether in the sleazy and disturbing idol industry or any kind of media culture that's centered around an IRL idol of affection. Much different from say a character from a VG that literally any one could virtually marry. Otherwise all the degenerate smegma breaths would be foaming at the mouth right now and proceed to stalk or whatever the recent trend of despicable crimes are right now in Japan that such brainlets would be engaging in.

Also, fun fact. In recent JP stalker news I've learned that you can scan someone's fingerprint from an image so avoid showing your fingers near a camera.

Edited by redlight