Famitsu Character Poll Results

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's worth remembering that these polls are not indicative of the average fan; they're indicative of the most active minority in Japanese fandom. Whatever other qualities these characters may have, Bernadetta appeals and Dorothea does not for... very clear reasons.

Certainly, the fact that the Bernadetta traits these guys like so much are things that were tortured into her is an irony that would be lost on the average otaku.

I don’t really pay attention to that stuff but it is nice to see that Dimitri and Felix are in the top 5 in the males polls. Today is gonna be a great day.

I don’t really have much to say about the female side other than yay for Hilda and Ingrid...but a shame that Dorothea is ranked so low.

I usually don't care much about polls for other franchises but IS takes FE polls very seriously. Top scoring characters always get the most attention and IS might be using this information for deciding future FEH alts/SR Cipher cards/official merch and so on. Who knows, maybe they will take risk and announce Dimitri and/ or Claude figures.

https://www.frontlinejp.net/2019/10/18/fire-emblem-three-houses-player-survey-results/

Further information about the survey results.

Favourite combat arts:

3: Healing Focus – 165 votes
2: Deadeye – 206
1: Curved Shot – 287

No swift strikes?

Playthrough count

1149 surveyees were on their fourth or subsequent playthrough, while 1081 were on their second playthrough, 827 were on their third, and 418 were still on their first.

Good amount of people played the game several times.

Favourite advanced job class:

12: Warrior – 33 votes
11: Bishop – 64
10: Hero – 89
9: Grappler – 108
8: Fortress – 116
7: Dark Bishop – 117
6: Warlock – 136
5: Paladin – 205
4: Assassin – 533
3: Swordmaster -539
2: Sniper – 569
1: Wyvern Rider – 781

Wyvern Rider for the win.

Of course, the flying classes all dominate the job class polls. Mortal Savant being second behind Wyvern Lord was a surprise, but at the same time it's also an easy master class to get into.

What doesn't make sense, though, is Mage being so far down, yet Fiendish Blow is the number one class ability? But don't you need to master Mage to obtain Fiendish Blow in the first place?

Canto is also second favorite, but quite a bit of riding classes are far down the list, particularly Dark Knight.

Also I don't think I've ever used Deadeye lmao

Overall, interesting poll results!

I'm amused by the fact that such an overwhelming majority of players did Crimson Flower as their first route compared to Silver Snow. Even while making it possible to miss CF people side with Edelgard when they go in blind - that's supported by the fact that she's somehow the only lord to show up on "Most Deployed" rankings in-game (if it was anywhere close to even distribution then Edelgard would be the least likely to make it on that list, Crimson Flower being a half of a third of the possible decisions).

Just goes to show that it wasn't necessary to make a coward's route after all.

16 hours ago, Arachnofiend said:

Yeah, it's worth remembering that these polls are not indicative of the average fan; they're indicative of the most active minority in Japanese fandom. Whatever other qualities these characters may have, Bernadetta appeals and Dorothea does not for... very clear reasons.

Certainly, the fact that the Bernadetta traits these guys like so much are things that were tortured into her is an irony that would be lost on the average otaku.

I guess, as a Bernadetta fan (and someone who suffers from a degree of social anxiety myself), I have some basic questions for you:

1) Does the fact that Bernadetta's traits stem from abuse make her any less deserving of love or friendship? Bearing in mind that such character traits are neither her fault nor likely to change without help.

2) Is there anything wrong with the protective instinct or empathy that would drive one to feel positively towards this character?

3) Is there any reason why an "Otaku" should feel morally guilty for liking this character? If so, repeat questions 1 and 2 for perspective.

As I see it, I genuinely like and sympathize with the type of person Bernadetta is. Similar personality traits would be more in line with myself and more attractive to me in a real person. And knowing that these personality traits stem from abuse does not (and in my opinion should not) drive me to feel guilty for that attraction or agreeability; all that knowledge does is add on a layer of empathy and compassion.

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I guess, as a Bernadetta fan (and someone who suffers from a degree of social anxiety myself), I have some basic questions for you:

1) Does the fact that Bernadetta's traits stem from abuse make her any less deserving of love or friendship? Bearing in mind that such character traits are neither her fault nor likely to change without help.

2) Is there anything wrong with the protective instinct or empathy that would drive one to feel positively towards this character?

3) Is there any reason why an "Otaku" should feel morally guilty for liking this character? If so, repeat questions 1 and 2 for perspective.

As I see it, I genuinely like and sympathize with the type of person Bernadetta is. Similar personality traits would be more in line with myself and more attractive to me in a real person. And knowing that these personality traits stem from abuse does not (and in my opinion should not) drive me to feel guilty for that attraction or agreeability; all that knowledge does is add on a layer of empathy and compassion.

I guess I didn't make this clear enough in my original post: there are a lot of legitimate reasons to like Bernadetta. I am personally kind of iffy on her, mostly because of the way her trauma is treated as a gag in every C support, but I don't think she's a truly bad character and am not at all surprised to know that perfectly reasonable people have a different opinion on her.

Buuuuut I am deep enough into the anime community to have a pretty cynical view on the minority in Japanese fandom that buys all the merchandise. You can just look at the way idols are treated and how having a relationship can completely ruin your career in that industry because it upsets the otakus so much for this celebrity to no longer be their perfect virginal waifu. And the sad fact is that if you strip out and ignore all the nuance in Bernadetta's character she looks very much like the ideal woman for this type of guy.

13 minutes ago, Arachnofiend said:

I guess I didn't make this clear enough in my original post: there are a lot of legitimate reasons to like Bernadetta. I am personally kind of iffy on her, mostly because of the way her trauma is treated as a gag in every C support, but I don't think she's a truly bad character and am not at all surprised to know that perfectly reasonable people have a different opinion on her.

Buuuuut I am deep enough into the anime community to have a pretty cynical view on the minority in Japanese fandom that buys all the merchandise. You can just look at the way idols are treated and how having a relationship can completely ruin your career in that industry because it upsets the otakus so much for this celebrity to no longer be their perfect virginal waifu. And the sad fact is that if you strip out and ignore all the nuance in Bernadetta's character she looks very much like the ideal woman for this type of guy.

Counterpoint, from personal experience. To someone incapable of understanding someone with social anxiety, such awkward personalities DO often come across as humorous. I can't even begin to count the number of times in highschool in which I unintentionally or obliviously made myself a laughingstock and felt a great deal of pain for it.

It's a case of reality is cruel, and I think it might actually contribute to the accuracy of her depiction. And I think it's worthy of note that those who seem to understand (or at least not make light of) Bernadetta best are Byleth (the neutral guidance counselor/professor) and Linhardt (the socially inept, but genuinely caring scholar). Ferdinand also makes genuine leaps to help, but his own lack of trauma makes that initially difficult.

Now if the game attempted to portray the womanizing Sylvain as a healthy match for her, that would be a problem. That would come across as someone carelessly taking advantage of a damaged person.

Edited by Etheus

9 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Counterpoint, from personal experience. To someone incapable of understanding someone with social anxiety, such awkward personalities DO often come across as humorous. I can't even begin to count the number of times in highschool in which I unintentionally or obliviously made myself a laughingstock and felt a great deal of pain for it.

It's a case of reality is cruel, and I think it might actually contribute to the accuracy of her depiction. 

That's a fair point, and an angle I hadn't considered. I've had my own struggles with anxiety and it seems like the difference here is that the two of just react differently to the way Bernadetta is portrayed; we both relate and empathize, but for me the empathy is overtaken to a degree by how uncomfortable these scenes make me. It's a mild difference in opinion born from a mild difference in perspective.

I tend to favor characters that react to stress and trauma by digging in their heels because that's the kind of person I wish I was, which is why I tend to prefer characters like Edelgard and Dorothea, but as I said before I definitely see why someone would look at Bernadetta's character as a whole and decide she's their favorite. You are not the kind of person I'm disparaging in my points about this poll. 😛

Edited by Arachnofiend

14 minutes ago, Etheus said:

It's a case of reality is cruel, and I think it might actually contribute to the accuracy of her depiction. And I think it's worthy of note that those who seem to understand (or at least not make light of) Bernadetta best are Byleth (the neutral guidance counselor/professor) and Linhardt (the socially inept, but genuinely caring scholar). Ferdinand also makes genuine leaps to help, but his own lack of trauma makes that initially difficult.

Now if the game attempted to portray the womanizing Sylvain as a healthy match for her, that would be a problem.

I will admit that Bernadetta could have been better handled. Not making her paranoia the basis of almost all her C-ranks and perhaps giving her anxiety a little more respect.

I mean, none of these flaws are crippling. Bernadetta is still by far my favorite female in the game. It's just that I do think they could have done a little better in some areas.

I've also had some issues with social anxiety in the past, to the point that three years ago or so I had to make sure not to walk to close to other people in the supermarket because I would get far too nervous and I've also had some bad experiences thanks to it in school even before that. Now I'm doing a lot better since I've gotten a job.

That being said, I don't think the developers did a good job with the social anxiety part. I mean for starters Bernie has a ton of supports where they play the "comedic ost" in regards to her social anxiety which is telling of what the developers wanted to do with her. Secondly, characters like Bernie (hikikomori) tend to get fetischized and...well just look at her S-support picture.

Yeah, interesting poll results indeed! Happy to see the Peg knight line is loved! Though sad that Great Knight is hated. I don't get why it's hated when it's basically an armor with actual movement and higher Spd when it seems like most people's issue with armors is their low movement and being super slow (GKs aren't especially fast, but they're not nearly as slow as armors). Is it that Great Knights are weak to both horse-slaying weapons and armor-slaying weapons? I personally find that their physical tankiness offsets that somewhat though. And the class always looks cool (even in Awakening it looked pretty decent imo, except on females, and in Frederick's case, he looks awesome).

Also, Great Knight Sylvain has been a big help in my playthroughs, he becomes so good.

Edited by Anacybele

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, interesting poll results indeed! Happy to see the Peg knight line is loved! Though sad that Great Knight is hated. I don't get why it's hated when it's basically an armor with actual movement and higher Spd when it seems like most people's issue with armors is their low movement and being super slow (GKs aren't especially fast, but they're not nearly as slow as armors). Is it that Great Knights are weak to both horse-slaying weapons and armor-slaying weapons? I personally find that their physical tankiness offsets that somewhat though. And the class always looks cool (even in Awakening it looked pretty decent imo, except on females, and in Frederick's case, he looks awesome).

Also, Great Knight Sylvain has been a big help in my playthroughs, he becomes so good.

It's not the comparison to Fortress Knights that matters.

Think of it this way. Keeping Sylvain as a paladin allows him more Mov, more speed, and more resistance. It also has 5% more dex growth and 10% more res growth compared to GK with NO penalties.

It also has very low skill rank requirements (compared to Great Knight having THE highest requirements in the game). This frees up a ton of training time to train authority, obtain Mov +1 from Riding faster, and potentially reach S or S+ lances. And because Sylvain will be specializing in lances, he won't have a wasted class skill slot on axefaire. Rather he gets the situationally useful terrain resistance (a big help on Crimson Flower's final map). And with that specialization, he also has very flexible ability slots. Slot lance mastery, lance crit +10, swordbreaker, and mov +1, and still have room for something else.

And yes, no double weakness on top of that.

Edited by Etheus

@Anacybele These are the reasons I can think of for why people would riff on Great Knight.

• If you look at this chart, you'll see that Great Knight is the only Master class that contains a negative speed modifier.  In fact, it's the only Master Class with a negative modifier at all.
  • The other ideal physical mounted combat classes all have 8 movement, while Great Knight only has 7.
  • The two main Master Classes that are favored for physical combatants are Bow Knight and Wyvern Lord (some would also say Falcon Knight is good) - these two classes have one main advantage each, those respectively being extended bow range (+2 range means you'll basically outrange every enemy that isn't another Bow Knight) and flight, and Great Knight has neither of these.
  • On top of all of this, Great Knight easily has the most stringent requirements, not only with the fact that all of the requirements are B+'s and an A (while most others either have at least one C or only two skill requirements), but also with the fact that two of those requirements aren't weapons/magic, meaning you have to dedicate most of your unit's study time to learning skills that overall won't help them all that much in actual combat.  It's a lot of work for little pay-off, basically.

25 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

A lot of armor fans I know don't like Great Knights because they don't feel like armored units, like in their animation, uniform and characters.

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

@Anacybele These are the reasons I can think of for why people would riff on Great Knight.

• If you look at this chart, you'll see that Great Knight is the only Master class that contains a negative speed modifier.  In fact, it's the only Master Class with a negative modifier at all.
  • The other ideal physical mounted combat classes all have 8 movement, while Great Knight only has 7.
  • The two main Master Classes that are favored for physical combatants are Bow Knight and Wyvern Lord (some would also say Falcon Knight is good) - these two classes have one main advantage each, those respectively being extended bow range (+2 range means you'll basically outrange every enemy that isn't another Bow Knight) and flight, and Great Knight has neither of these.
  • On top of all of this, Great Knight easily has the most stringent requirements, not only with the fact that all of the requirements are B+'s and an A (while most others either have at least one C or only two skill requirements), but also with the fact that two of those requirements aren't weapons/magic, meaning you have to dedicate most of your unit's study time to learning skills that overall won't help them all that much in actual combat.  It's a lot of work for little pay-off, basically.

Also most characters who specialize in armor like Dedue and Raphael have terrible horse riding skills.

Sidenote, Fortress Knight should be called General and have an authority bonus.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

I find the votes on gameplay elements very interesting. I didn't think many people even used Deadeye that often because of those Hit penalties. I'm assuming most of the Mortal Savant class votes is because of how cool it looks; it's certainly not because it's a great class, and the same applies to Swordmaster being so high. Character placements all seem fairly accurate, though (totally not biased towards Dimitri, btw). I wonder how different the list would look if the poll had participants give them all rankings and use that as a point system. 

24 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Actually, most Master classes have a negative speed growth. Namely, all of the cavalry classes, and (inexplicably) the Mortal Savant.

Just now, Etheus said:

Actually, most Master classes have a negative speed growth. Namely, all of the cavalry classes, and (inexplicably) the Mortal Savant.

True, but they have the advantages mentioned.

I might make a topic about it later, but if they do another game in the Three Houses style, they really need to figure out what to do with armor rank.