Famitsu Character Poll Results

13 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

True, but they have the advantages mentioned.

I might make a topic about it later, but if they do another game in the Three Houses style, they really need to figure out what to do with armor rank.

There's a lot they need to do with the class system. It feels unfinished and ill thought out. So many gaps and dead ends.

As for armor, well, if this game had any real Defense maps (my favorite objective), perhaps they'd have more use. But this game really isn't interested in defending or turtling at all. Even when it has a defense objective, it really isn't.

Edited by Etheus

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The closest thing to a proper defend map is the Ashe/Catherine paralogue... which is a fog of war map in a wide open area, meaning that there are zero choke points a Fortress Knight could potentially cover. Trying to tank with an armor on that map just means you're gonna get OHK'd by a mage from the fog.

11 minutes ago, Etheus said:

There's a lot they need to do with the class system. It feels unfinished and ill thought out. So many gaps and dead ends.

As for armor, well, if this game had any real Defense maps (my favorite objective), perhaps they'd have more use. But this game really isn't interested in defending or turtling at all. Even when it has a defense objective, it really isn't.

Basically while there are a lot of powerful flying and cavalry classes, Armor rank is just access to three classes, none of which are any good. If Armor is to remain either more armored classes need to be added(Baron, perhaps) and/or they need to expand their definition of "Armored" class.

Not gaining any movement upon promotion is a real deal breaker for Fortress Knight, there's a reason Kaga permanently left that behind after FE4 as did IS before Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. You'd think Fortress Knight, AKA General, would have good authority and skills at least.

4 minutes ago, Arachnofiend said:

The closest thing to a proper defend map is the Ashe/Catherine paralogue... which is a fog of war map in a wide open area, meaning that there are zero choke points a Fortress Knight could potentially cover. Trying to tank with an armor on that map just means you're gonna get OHK'd by a mage from the fog.

Yeah. I don't count a map with no choke points as a legitimate defense map. Plus, most people will just Rout it anyway.

Actually, the only time I felt like I was legitimately defending in this game was the Lorenz paralogue, and even that was for only about 2-3 turns until the herd thinned out enough to advance.

Edited by Etheus

I’m just glad Hilda is one of the top girls. She seemed to get off to a slow start but now is noticeably popular. Kinda disappointed Rhea and Seteth did lukewarm in comparison though.

26 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Actually, most Master classes have a negative speed growth. Namely, all of the cavalry classes, and (inexplicably) the Mortal Savant.

I wasn't referring to growth rates, I was referring to stat modifiers.

Just now, Silverly said:

I’m just glad Hilda is one of the top girls. She seemed to get off to a slow start but now is noticeably popular. Kinda disappointed Rhea and Seteth did lukewarm in comparison though.

I blame the voice actor for Seteth, in both directions. His English VA is so much better than the Japanese it's really no surprise he's a more popular character over here.

3 minutes ago, Silverly said:

Honestly, I don't think we can take this as a true indication of Rhea's popularity. Playable characters get more notoriety of which she is not. Plus, she's absent for all of Azure Moon and most of Verdant Wind and Silver Snow. And then of course there's Crimson Flower where she's insane.

I think she's more popular than this poll might indicate.

25 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Honestly, I don't think we can take this as a true indication of Rhea's popularity. Playable characters get more notoriety of which she is not. Plus, she's absent for all of Azure Moon and most of Verdant Wind and Silver Snow. And then of course there's Crimson Flower where she's insane. 

I think she's more popular than this poll might indicate. 

NPCs have rarely done that well on character polls, even relatively popular ones like Lyon and Zelgius. People just like playable characters more. Rhea is reasonably high on my own personal list, as I think she's a well-developed character and (along with a certain someone else one from this game) one of the better antagonists in the series when she plays that role, but that sort of character has never ranked near the top of general popularity.

Also, Mortal Savant being a popular class makes perfect sense to me. People like swords (see also: assassin, swordmaster) and magic, and the class lets you use both! While having the highest move of any infantry! (People like infantry.) Sure they're not very min-maxed, and they have some secret downsides like the nonsensical speed growth penalty, but I get why people would like the class. (I'm obviously not claiming it's good.)

20 minutes ago, Arachnofiend said:

I blame the voice actor for Seteth, in both directions. His English VA is so much better than the Japanese it's really no surprise he's a more popular character over here.

How would you go wrong with the voice of Dio Brando, though?

22 minutes ago, Silverly said:

She seemed to get off to a slow start but now is noticeably popular.

Hilda's just a slow starter.

On 10/16/2019 at 2:32 PM, Jingle Jangle said:
  • Dimitri/Bernadetta
  • Claude/Lysithea
  • Felix/Hilda
  • Sylvain/Edelgard

Absolute top tier taste for male/female

• Ferdinand/Ingrid
  • M!Byleth/Mercedes
  • Lorenz/F!Byleth

Male taste going strong, female taste getting to blips on the radar but Mercedes still a top tier.

• Hubert/Shamir
  • Ashe/Marianne
  • Linhardt/Annette
  • Caspar/Flayn
  • Raphael/Petra
  • Dedue/Dorothea
  • Seteth/Sothis

Honestly its hard because the males are so exceptional so I'll have to give them a pass, its a crime that Ingrid and Byleth are beating these ladies though and Annette being this far down is a guaranteed sign of terrible taste.

• Gatekeeper/Leonie
  • Geralt/Rhea
  • Rodrigue/Manuela
  • Cyril/Catherine
  • Hanneman/Kronya
  • Alois/Judith

Gatekeeper gloriously has found his way onto the poll, soon he'll find his rightful place at the top (heroes when?) Followed by the dads. Man, sucks to be Judith, below even Kronya the Piere two. I do agree, these are all trash tier waifus though Leonie's a cute,

• Dimitri
  • Edelgard
  • Claude
  • Sothis
  • Lysithea
  • Bernadetta

It's almost insulting how non-contrarian my first S-ranks turned out to be. Unsurprising though, Bernie and Lys were a treat. Still love El but the only SS rank we'll have is Silver Snow.

• Dorothea
  • Mercedes
  • Ingrid

It truly is shocking that such bad taste can exist. Ok, I kid, only Ingrid belongs with Glenn.

A bit surprised to see some of the results with both Byleth placement.

I mean, not really? If you look at the majority of S ranks, its basically all Female Byleth options barring Ingrid, Bernadetta, and Lysithea. So its clear that most played Female Byleth to get the aforementioned romance options; this would spike her popularity dramatically. What is surprising is that Male Byleth ranked as high as he did.

I love Dimitri, he might be my favorite overall, but Dedue, Cyril, Seteth, Petra and Rhea getting lowish kinda sucks tbh. I've beaten the game several times, all routes, even maddening/classic, so I've grown on these more obscure characters a lot more than other players. I even like Alois a lot and feel he got done dirty.

Though I totally agree with Judith and her pathetic 10 votes, waste of space and annoying character. 

On 10/17/2019 at 4:07 PM, DefyingFates said:

Same, and I'm happy for him if so. Gatekeeper's definitely getting into the top 20 too. I mean, if the Brigand Boss is an option in CYL...

That's just a shame.

I hate to say it, but @Water Mage has a point about that sort of thing; it happens to a ton of idols/ singers in Japan. Heck, Haruhi's JPN VA went through hell because she "dared" to have a boyfriend a few years ago. Fanboys also have a problem with their "waifus" simply not being submissive; I've also heard of a few idols getting death threats for saying they supported feminism...

I am pretty sure Haruhi/Lucy(Fairy Tail) VA got shit because she had an sex scandle with her band back in 2009 or 2010.

Dorothea has a disrespect for sources of authority, a trait that won't do her any favors here. Ignatz is an insecure male nerd, automatically making him bottom tier as far as husbando material goes. The handsome, dark, and brooding male with a hidden soft side is always a popular archetype  The respondents were split 1564/1928, male and female voters respectively. 

4 hours ago, basedcarousel said:

Ignatz is an insecure male nerd, automatically making him bottom tier as far as husbando material goes.

I'm not so sure about that. The softer male characters have a sizable niche thanks to the whole ''must protect'' thing and in that Ignatz has a lot of traits that probably made Ashe do fairly well. 

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm not so sure about that. The softer male characters have a sizable niche thanks to the whole ''must protect'' thing and in that Ignatz has a lot of traits that probably made Ashe do fairly well. 

Honestly I think Ignatz did so bad because he is not good looking, he looks like Harry Potter 😑😑 Ashe is fairly attractive ,at least as far anime "attractiveness" go, cause few, if any, of the playable characters would be considered ugly in real life 

I think it's a pity though cause characters goes beyond being husbando or waifu material 

Edited by Mylady

4 minutes ago, Mylady said:

Honestly I think Ignatz did so bad because he is not good looking, he looks like Harry Potter 😑😑 Ashe is fairly attractive ,at least as far anime "attractiveness" go, cause few, if any, of the playable characters would be considered ugly in real life 

I think it's a pity though cause characters goes beyond being husbando or waifu material 

I agree -- I like Ashe more than Ignatz due to that xD

And that's being unfair on Harry Potter who at least has sensible hair.

EDIT: And post-timeskip Ignatz only matches pre-timeskip Harry Potter, heh.

Edited by Humanoid

On 10/18/2019 at 5:55 PM, Etheus said:

Counterpoint, from personal experience. To someone incapable of understanding someone with social anxiety, such awkward personalities DO often come across as humorous. I can't even begin to count the number of times in highschool in which I unintentionally or obliviously made myself a laughingstock and felt a great deal of pain for it.

It's a case of reality is cruel, and I think it might actually contribute to the accuracy of her depiction. And I think it's worthy of note that those who seem to understand (or at least not make light of) Bernadetta best are Byleth (the neutral guidance counselor/professor) and Linhardt (the socially inept, but genuinely caring scholar). Ferdinand also makes genuine leaps to help, but his own lack of trauma makes that initially difficult.

Now if the game attempted to portray the womanizing Sylvain as a healthy match for her, that would be a problem. That would come across as someone carelessly taking advantage of a damaged person.

oh my god yes. this just all of this. I agree with everything here. Cause the thing about Bernedetta's C-supports is that the situations are inherently funny because of her absurd reactions to fairly harmless questions and scenarios. In that way it's supposed to be cute and funny. It's basically the same idea behind Sumia in a way. Y'know the whole "clumsy is sexy" thing. You're not laughing at her ineptitude. You're laughing because it's kind of cute in a way kind of like teasing a tsundere when they get all flustered and start blushing all over the place. I dunno how to describe it honestly. Hell even in-game the characters don't laugh at her. They're just left confused just as the player is y'know without proper context anyway. They're supposed to be the straight man in this scenario(Or in capsar's case both of them play the straight man). 

Even with the proper context to her situation, you can't blame the characters because they lack the proper context. They just wanna help just like the player and the added context only helps to emphasize that desire at least that's how I see it. The joke comes out of the conflict of Bernedetta not understanding and just jumping to absurd conclusions due to her anxiety. The comedy comes from the absurdness of it all(again I bring up nichijou). Like we just wanna help you Bernie why you gotta misunderstand me?

Im not getting how people think Bernie is being portrayed as a tropey ass joke, cuz thats not whats going on. The only support that is really painting her anxiety as funny, is hers with Hubert. Even then, he tries not to scare her, leading to an adorable A support that shows her making something for him. 

Many of Bernie's supports have her discussing her trauma. Her support with Dorothea reveals she wasn't allowed to be friends with commoners and particularly heart wrenching story about a childhood friend being beaten. Her supports are sad more than funny. Id say shes handled rather well. 

9 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Im not getting how people think Bernie is being portrayed as a tropey ass joke, cuz thats not whats going on. The only support that is really painting her anxiety as funny, is hers with Hubert. Even then, he tries not to scare her, leading to an adorable A support that shows her making something for him. 

Many of Bernie's supports have her discussing her trauma. Her support with Dorothea reveals she wasn't allowed to be friends with commoners and particularly heart wrenching story about a childhood friend being beaten. Her supports are sad more than funny. Id say shes handled rather well. 

Yeah I feel like a lot of people are just turned off from the comedic C or sometimes even B supports from Bernadetta with others, but it's really A's where most of the full development happens and she kinda gets over it. So in my opinion I think it's fine, though I think there's a bit too many comedic C supports with her still, but at least they get developed on later which was severely lacking in some OTHER fire emblem games 😏

Edited by Dinar87

These results are pretty valid and I feel like they accurately represent the western fandom too. I can't agree with Bernie being so high and the same goes for Felix but.. I guess a lot of people really resonated with them so I'm happy for them at least. Wish more people would appreciate Ferdinand but he's still relatively up there so I'm glad. Absolutely hilarious that Gatekeeper made the list too! Gatekeeper DLC when? Also very funny to me that Leonie is the lowest student. I guess that's what happens when your personality revolves around wanting to screw someone's DILF.

17 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Bernadetta is treated as a gag, complete with goofy music, in every C support. YMMV on if the more serious B and A supports help with that, but in my case having to sit through basically the same cringey C support a dozen times makes it difficult to respect IS's attempt to treat her more seriously in later conversations.

On 10/20/2019 at 6:28 PM, Ottservia said:

Even with the proper context to her situation, you can't blame the characters because they lack the proper context. They just wanna help just like the player and the added context only helps to emphasize that desire at least that's how I see it.

This is true. I think playing the comedy music over so many of her C Supports hurts though; it makes it feel like she's just being played for laughs until you get to her B and A Supports with everyone. I think removing that music would lessen that impression quite a bit.

Edited by DefyingFates