Famitsu Character Poll Results

On 10/24/2019 at 9:18 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Agreed there. Bernadetta's supports are funny. It's not that the player is laughing at Bernadetta (I'd give anyone who was the ol' side-eye), but the gap between the conclusions she jumps to and the reality lends itself to absurd situations.

My view is that the hilarity angle is justifiable in that while anxiety can be highly debilitating, those feelings are absurd in nature. The feelings can be real, and the cause can be quite understandable. But the logical content of anxiety is, while very serious while experiencing it, from an objective standpoint not rational. People almost always aren't hostile towards you, and more likely thinking of all sorts of things that have nothing to do with the relatively tiny things that concern the mind of someone feeling anxious, and while it might appear to be insulting to seemingly trivialize it by playing it for laughs, I personally think it is healthy for people who suffer thoughts that trouble them to not cut out the ability to laugh at it, considering humor is often used to cope with things that are otherwise quite harrowing, and thus all the more fitting not despite of such concerns but precisely because of them.

Those that take offense, in my opinion, further allow what is already a burden to only become heavier. This is coming from someone, like others broaching this subject, who can have bouts of dissociation, dread, or nausea born purely from social interactions or simply the anticipation of them.

Edited by Holder of the Heel

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Moltz23 said:

The thing about that is Edelgard is just now dropping from the list,  almost 3 months after the game's release. It's likely most people with NSO are finally trying other routes instead (that, and the fact she's the 2nd most S ranked character in Famitsu's poll gives me the feeling very little people actually went with Silver Snow at first). 

She started dropping within a few weeks of the game's release, not from "just now". From what I recall, Bernadetta overtook her within that time, which showed that people were going to Silver Snow/recruiting Bernadetta in the other paths. This remained steady all the way until now where Edelgard is now in eighth place (likely will drop from the top eight in the next few weeks), and shows that Black Eagles was the most selected path. Don't forget that not everyone is going to chug through two routes back to back, let alone three or four.

On 10/22/2019 at 9:26 PM, Jingle Jangle said:

Speaking of polls, Nintendo Dream did another one.

Gee Dimitri! How come You get to be number 1 in all the polls?

Sylvain still popular here too, and actually is even higher than the initially posted poll placed him! Top 5! 😄 I'm glad I keep seeing this kind of result for him! ❤️

And Claude at no. 2 as well, YEAH! My favs are both loved and it's amazing. I'm just so unused to seeing my favs actually get a lot of love for once it really excites me! Previously I could only get that kind of feeling with Ike.

It makes my day to see Dimitri doing so well in polls. You just have no idea, I adore Dimitri's character. The funny thing is I expected to like him the least of the three before the game came out and I suppose I was expecting other people to do the same? So it makes me so happy to see Dimitri topping polls! Claude is great too but Felix doing so well is also really exciting to me!

2 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

It makes my day to see Dimitri doing so well in polls. You just have no idea, I adore Dimitri's character. The funny thing is I expected to like him the least of the three before the game came out and I suppose I was expecting other people to do the same? So it makes me so happy to see Dimitri topping polls! Claude is great too but Felix doing so well is also really exciting to me!

I had similar feelings about Dimitri situation except for the fact I don't personally get the love for him (I understand it, but I can't feel it... I wonder if playing BL in my own will do it), I guess I got a bit sick of people loving Dimitri and having such strong opinions about a character I was able to personally connect.

But anyway I'm happy Dimitri is more interesting than how it was originally presented. Who the only interesting thing about him was his "shadow" and his noodle hair.

Edited by Troykv

2 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Even more than Micaiah? 

On 10/25/2019 at 4:18 AM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Agreed there. Bernadetta's supports are funny. It's not that the player is laughing at Bernadetta (I'd give anyone who was the ol' side-eye), but the gap between the conclusions she jumps to and the reality lends itself to absurd situations.

But the reason she makes those conclusions is because of her traumatic experiences.

59 minutes ago, Strallumia said:

But the reason she makes those conclusions is because of her traumatic experiences.

And? Doesn’t stop the conclusions or situations from being any less absurd. When you laugh you’re not laughing at Bernie, you’re laughing at the absurdity of the situation and that absurdity does not in anyway detract from her actual character or the trauma she’s been through at least in my opinion. I mean just look at characters like Owain or Noire. Owain acts the way he does out of some deep seated trauma and inferiority complex due to seeing people dying around him on a constant basis yet we still laugh at the absurdness of his supports. Noire is similar. She was, like Bernie, also physically abused by her parent which is the reason she’s so meek yet we still laugh at the absurdity of the situations her supports lend themselves towards. Like I’m just saying here people. The supports are inherently funny and that fact does not in any way detract from the trauma the character has gone through cause that’s not what we’re laughing at. We’re laughing at the absurdity it all

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

And? Doesn’t stop the conclusions or situations from being any less absurd. When you laugh you’re not laughing at Bernie, you’re laughing at the absurdity of the situation and that absurdity does not in anyway detract from her actual character or the trauma she’s been through at least in my opinion. I mean just look at characters like Owain or Noire. Owain acts the way he does out of some deep seated trauma and inferiority complex due to seeing people dying around him on a constant basis yet we still laugh at the absurdness of his supports. Noire is similar. She was, like Bernie, also physically abused by her parent which is the reason she’s so meek yet we still laugh at the absurdity of the situations her supports lend themselves towards. Like I’m just saying here people. The supports are inherently funny and that fact does not in any way detract from the trauma the character has gone through cause that’s not what we’re laughing at. We’re laughing at the absurdity it all

I disagree.

Never laughed at Noire. Just like Bernie desperately needed some therapy.

Owain acts very chuuni but overall can act like an adult.

Bernie straight up needs help and she's portrayed as someone with very severe social issues. These kind of portrayals don't need any funny music or silly moments, they should be taken seriously. I've seen how some people perceive Bernie and when I see people talk about her and say "GOTTA PROTECC" like she's some object instead of a very troubled individual I stand by my opinion that IS failed in handling her more troubled parts well.

3 hours ago, Strallumia said:

Bernie straight up needs help and she's portrayed as someone with very severe social issues. These kind of portrayals don't need any funny music or silly moments, they should be taken seriously. I've seen how some people perceive Bernie and when I see people talk about her and say "GOTTA PROTECC" like she's some object instead of a very troubled individual I stand by my opinion that IS failed in handling her more troubled parts well.

I think the "GOTTA PROTECC" reaction can definitely be a bit problematic (you see it with Marianne as well), though it's also kinda human; heck, Dimitri himself definitely has a version of it which is part of why he's so popular. Some people may like Bernadetta for reasons that make me a touch squeamish, but a lot of people also like her for reasons I strongly agree with, and we shouldn't downplay that.

Otherwise, I disagree with you overall. Most players have no trouble taking Bernadetta seriously, and I feel that the game wants you to as well, or she wouldn't have had supports detailing her trauma, and supports in which she tries to learn to cope with it as best she can. The music, again, is because the situations are worth laughing at, even if Bernadetta herself deserves our understanding.

23 hours ago, Troykv said:

I had similar feelings about Dimitri situation except for the fact I don't personally get the love for him (I understand it, but I can't feel it... I wonder if playing BL in my own will do it), I guess I got a bit sick of people loving Dimitri and having such strong opinions about a character I was able to personally connect.

But anyway I'm happy Dimitri is more interesting than how it was originally presented. Who the only interesting thing about him was his "shadow" and his noodle hair.

I think a lot of people were surprised at how much depth there was to him after the pre-release trailers showed him as being kind of the "standard FE lord". He does sort of start out that way, a noble character with high ideals of justice, but the direction they took him in was interesting to me. Also people tend to love characters with eyepatches and trauma. That's part of it too.

22 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Even more than Micaiah? 

Heheh, don't get me wrong, I adore Micaiah. I must say I like them both about equally, just in different ways. If I had to quantify it, Micaiah is my favorite female and Dimitri is my favorite male and they're tied with each other overall.

7 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

heck, Dimitri himself definitely has a version of it which is part of why he's so popular. Some people may like Bernadetta for reasons that make me a touch squeamish, but a lot of people also like her for reasons I strongly agree with, and we shouldn't downplay that.

This is true. A lot of Dimitri's popularity comes from people wanting to help him and protect him, heck I have the same feelings regarding him. I think a big difference is that Bernadetta tends to hit some people really sour in her first supports and first impressions are important you know? She definitely did me, though I found myself liking her later supports a lot more, specifically her A supports. They weren't enough to make her personally my favorite of the girls, the jury is still out about who that might be, but her A supports did move her from rock bottom least favorite character to middle of the pack.