New Heroes Approach: Zofia's Call (Oct. 21 ~)

Coolmanio

Nice to see B Tomebreaker and Witchy Wand in the summoning pool.

Sol Lance looks nice, although it feels kind of weak. I think they need to boost the healing to around 15 to 20 if they really want to make sustainability builds a viable option.

I wish they show the skills for Valbar.

3 hours ago, redlight said:

Python's kit is demote worthy, but then you look at the man's typing.

He is colored and being a colored is pretty undesirable. Mages have access to powerful Blade tomes to offset being colored. Archers have access to Brave Bow, which is not bad, but it is not great, and it definitely is not good enough to offset being colored.

For comparison, World of Thracia Olwen still outperforms Sue despite Sue having a significant stat advantage via having better A skill. Technically, I guess WOT!Olwen has the stat advantage once you factor in Blade tome's stupid high Atk boosts, but you get what I mean. I have also included Nina and Norne for comparison to show that just by being colored significantly devalues a unit's performance. Keep in mind that Brazen Atk/Spd is the strongest A skill available, so the performance gap between color and colorless only gets bigger as you use weaker and weaker A skills.

Challenger List: Against Hard List+10. Both sides got 6/6/6/6 bonus buffs. Challengers at 1 HP.

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Olwen (WT) (5*+10 +atk)  
Weapon: Thunderhead  
Special: Moonbow  
A: Swift Sparrow 2  
B: Desperation 3  
S: Brazen Atk Spd 3  

Olwen (WT) (5*+10 +atk)  
Weapon: Thunderhead  
Special: Moonbow  
A: Brazen Atk Spd 4  

Sue (5*+10 +atk)  
Weapon: Brave Bow+  
Special: Luna  

Nina (5*+10 +atk)  

Norne (5*+10 +atk)  

Edited by XRay

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Urvan requires you to either bring an AoE special to hit through it, or lots of raw firepower from mages since they still hit decently well through Ike's horrid Resistance.

Sol Lance can be beaten with Frederick, Bartre, Cherche, or anyone with a powerful Armor-killing build.
Forsyth's greatest foe though... anyone ranged if he doesn't have Distant Counter.

...point is, they're very different and not at all comparable. Urvan outright deletes most incoming damage, Sol Lance still requires Forsyth to hit to get back that 10 hp.

Thats exactly what i mean though? Sol lance in practice works very similarly to Urvan (they mitigate damage when you get hit) but Urvan is proactive, Sol is reactive - but i guess i should put in the extra mention that it seems noticably worse

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Sirius obviously does count as a Camus alt, but considering there's literally nothing different about Catria as a character in her Valentina appearance, I'm of the opinion that this in unnecessary. If we're going to do alts, why not something interesting, like a dread fighter variation on one of the mercenaries. Or even if it's Catria, we could bring in the harrier class and maker her a red mage. This means we'll probably get Palla and Est next time there's a SOV banner, hopefully they do something more interesting with them than just sword instead of lance and a different art asset. Hey we've just introduced duo characters, why not Catria and Palla together under a searching for Est theme?

Oh they're definitely going to pull the "Harrier card" eventually... I'm curious which character will be the "lucky one" to get that treatment 😛

2 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Thats exactly what i mean though? Sol lance in practice works very similarly to Urvan (they mitigate damage when you get hit) but Urvan is proactive, Sol is reactive - but i guess i should put in the extra mention that it seems noticably worse

I think you're wording it wrong, because Urvan actively lowers damage even if Ike initiates combat (believe me, I tried...), while Sol Lance still requires Forsyth to land hits to recover HP without actually lowering the amount of damage taken. The most it does is help keep him in range for skills like Vengeful Fighter, it's not possible to rely on it to maintain Forsyth's bulk and, more importantly, he can still be OHKOed.

VALBAAAR!!!

Finally, it's time to make my dream team with Leon and him (wish Kamui was here too, but that can wait). And he is also 3*-4*? Is it my birthday today, or what?

Seriously though, I'm insanely happy about the new SoV banner, even if the characters we got now aren't my favourites. I like Forsyth's lance, Python will be demoted, Silque is finally here, and Catria is Catria. Really, I'm the most hyped about Valbar. It was about time he got in.

Edited by coldhand25

VALBAR! I'm really liking the fact that they're adding characters directly to the 3-4-star pool.

Catria's art is pretty. However, since none of the characters on this banner are a must-have for merging, I'll probably only go for one copy of each.

41 minutes ago, XRay said:

Sol Lance looks nice, although it feels kind of weak. I think they need to boost the healing to around 15 to 20 if they really want to make sustainability builds a viable option.

It's on an armor. 10 HP is perfectly fine for a player-phase armor.

49 minutes ago, XRay said:

He is colored and being a colored is pretty undesirable. Mages have access to powerful Blade tomes to offset being colored. Archers have access to Brave Bow, which is not bad, but it is not great, and it definitely is not good enough to offset being colored.

The entire point of being colored is that the unit is more specialized, giving up match-ups against one color for better match-ups against another. By pure match-up numbers you're usually going to lose more wins than you gain, but your wins at advantage are going to be by better margins.

14 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Based on the wording in both JP and EN, Astra Sword actually isn't going to do true damage... Which may or may not be terrible.

A free Glimmer proc on every attack is kind of impossible to be terrible.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I guess it's basically just a free damage boost that's almost permanent, but I'm wondering how Catria's Atk stat will look like. It's definitely not as unfair as true damage, of course, not being able to just punch through people boosting over your offense.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I guess it is okay on a Player Phase armor, but I still think it should be higher so it is significant enough for Enemy Phase armors to benefit too.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The entire point of being colored is that the unit is more specialized, giving up match-ups against one color for better match-ups against another. By pure match-up numbers you're usually going to lose more wins than you gain, but your wins at advantage are going to be by better margins.

I think consistency is more important than specializing, especially for archers since they can just Firesweep enemies, which is already specialized against any annoying Enemy Phase builds except for Null C-Disrupt.

34 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

VALBAR! I'm really liking the fact that they're adding characters directly to the 3-4-star pool.

Catria's art is pretty. However, since none of the characters on this banner are a must-have for merging, I'll probably only go for one copy of each.

If i got my "math" right Catria weapon is basically along the same power lines as Alm and Eliwood right? 

Alm - 25% def cut assuming 45 def, this means +11

Eliwood - +10

Catria: Glimmer, which requires 20 damage to break even. Assuming 45 def you need like 65 ATK which is fairly high i guess

....kinda funny to put Eliwood of all things in the middle of those monsters showing how much base stats matters rip

EDIT: come to think of it would Catria's weapon interact with Luna? and consequently didn't interact with Dragon Fang

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

Glad I haven't started a blue armor merge.  This one has Valbar's name all over it.

Also want Forsyth, but will be happy with anyone on this banner.  As long as they're not -Atk.

27 minutes ago, XRay said:

I guess it is okay on a Player Phase armor, but I still think it should be higher so it is significant enough for Enemy Phase armors to benefit too.

It's not inheritable. It doesn't need to benefit enemy-phase armors.

27 minutes ago, XRay said:

I think consistency is more important than specializing, especially for archers since they can just Firesweep enemies, which is already specialized against any annoying Enemy Phase builds except for Null C-Disrupt.

Not everyone has a mountain of spare Fayes.

13 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

EDIT: come to think of it would Catria's weapon interact with Luna? and consequently didn't interact with Dragon Fang

Based on the description and example round of combat, it wouldn't interact with either.

The weapon's effect appears to add the Glimmer damage to the damage displayed in the combat forecast and the numbers at the top of the screen during combat, and that value likely remains fixed for the entire round of combat.

Furthermore, based on how Luna (and all other skills with similar effects) interacts with other skills, Luna actually deals damage equal to 50% of the opponent's Def/Res rather than actually reducing their Def/Res temporarily, meaning Astra Blade's effect makes no difference. And Dragon Fang adds damage based on your Atk stat, which is unaffected by Astra Blade's effect.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Silque, Python and Forsyth?! Time to start lying to Nintendo about where I live and reinstall Heroes. I thought those two would never make it in, nevermind Valbar (finally). Now all I need is Kamui, Luthier and Mycen, and I wouldn't mind if that banner was carried by Palla and Est alts if the art is that much better than what they currently have (well, Palla's alright, but Est looks ten), or a Mae alt since she deserves good art too.

And petty as it is, I'm glad Conrad is a GHB

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Based on the description and example round of combat, it wouldn't interact with either.

The weapon's effect appears to add the Glimmer damage to the damage displayed in the combat forecast and the numbers at the top of the screen during combat, and that value likely remains fixed for the entire round of combat.

Furthermore, based on how Luna (and all other skills with similar effects) interacts with other skills, Luna actually deals damage equal to 50% of the opponent's Def/Res rather than actually reducing their Def/Res temporarily, meaning Astra Blade's effect makes no difference. And Dragon Fang adds damage based on your Atk stat, which is unaffected by Astra Blade's effect.

....wait Luna actually IS a "deal damage based on defense"? Like not even "technically does that"" case?

FINALLY I CAN PULL WITCHY WAND WITHOUT HAVING TO RELY ON AN ANNUAL SEASONAL UNIT! I still want Witch Mia but her priority just dropped quite a bit.

• I want Forsyth on the merit of that lance alone. It looks so unbelievably fun.
  • Silique is there for her staff. Staff EXP is an odd choice but it's probably just an excuse to give her a full kit to justify *5 exclusivity. As if her staff and B skill didn't already do that.
  • Python is the clear demote. Blue Tomebreaker is a dead giveaway. If they keep him *5 because he's a green bow cav then that's just dumb. Give us something new.
  • Catria's the clear star of the banner. She's got a new Bond 4 skill, Harsh Command+ and a nifty sword. I suppose she'll be strong but Elincia gives her tough competition.
  • Ok look Valbar. Vengeance is a pretty terrible special. Hopefully his base kit has something of value. We still don't have Close DEF 3 in the *4 pool, tha'd be cool.

All in all this banner is a pretty easy skip. Catria is an easy pass since I don't really use sword fliers and if I did I have a +ATK Elincia. SPD Tactic is great fodder but it falls under "nice to have" for me right now and I have no mental application for ATK/SPD Bond 4. Python is an easy skip cause demote and/or terrible kit. Forsyth looks fun but not a high enough priority (especially when I have Brave Hector). Silique is the most appealing since I want that staff if we're being totally honest.

Going to pull Blue/Colorless for the tickets and I'm out. Red if I have no other choice. Melancholy+ aside, the most exciting thing about this banner is the fact that there will probably be a Sol Sword in the future which sounds like oodles of fun. I hope it's on a unit worth something.

2 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

....wait Luna actually IS a "deal damage based on defense"? Like not even "technically does that"" case?

If you ignore all of the skill descriptions and only look at how it functionally behaves, yes.

Legendary Eirika with 13×2 damage forecast against Nephenee with 35 Def landing Aether ("−50% Def") + Lunar Brace ("+ damage equal to 50% of enemy Def") deals 47 damage.

The additional damage from both Aether and Lunar Brace is 34 damage, which is 17 + 17 (50% of 35 is 17.5).

3 minutes ago, Zeo said:

the most exciting thing about this banner is the fact that there will probably be a Sol Sword in the future which sounds like oodles of fun. I hope it's on a unit worth something.

Sol Lance, Lunar Arc, and Astra Blade are a set from Echoes, and we now have the full set. Sol Sword originates from Awakening and is part of a different set, so the existence of the Echoes weapons have no bearing on whether or not we'll see a Sol Sword.

That said, we now at least have a precedent for adding Nosferatu/Resire.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Yeah, I meant his Enemy Phase build. I guess this is technically stronger than Barrier Lance and Vanguard Lance since it is essentially Def/Res+10 assuming the unit gets doubled, does not die, and doubles back, but Barrier Lance and Vanguard Lance directly reduces damage so the unit runs less risk of dying in one round of combat.

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

If cost is a factor, most players should have a mountain of Gronnblades to counter anything blue.

24 minutes ago, XRay said:

If cost is a factor, most players should have a mountain of Gronnblades to counter anything blue.

Which is completely sidestepping the question of colorless consistency v. colored specialization.

18 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Which is completely sidestepping the question of colorless consistency v. colored specialization.

Archers already have an answer to specializing against obnoxious builds in the form of Firesweep Bow. If a player wants to specialize against something but does not have the resources to afford Firesweep Bow, Blade mages are a better answer for that since they are cheap and players probably already has a few built up since everyone needs raw damage nukes.

Edited by XRay

PYTHON!

Honestly... I am happy with Python being green. If he demotes, he will be perfect to my Cavalry Team, since I don't have a fixed green cavalry unit in my team yet. I thought he would be blue, but green works, at least for me. weird that he has the same type and weapon as Sue...

Despite Catria being pretty cool, this is a skip for me. Maybe I use my tickets on green or colorless, but only tickets.

Valbar? Meh, never used him.

And Conrad as GHB surprised me... I always thought he would be a banner unit or TT unit. Looks like he has a Barrier Lance? Kinda sad it's not a prf weapon. Also, he can become a 2nd Berkut in the grails shop. At least I hope for good stats or a good skill.

Screenshot_20191018-0718053.png

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

FINALLY I CAN PULL WITCHY WAND WITHOUT HAVING TO RELY ON AN ANNUAL SEASONAL UNIT! I still want Witch Mia but her priority just dropped quite a bit.

Funny how Silque's staff came at the perfect time for those who don't have Mia yet

But banner...YAY ECHOES! YAY SILQUE AND PYTHON!!! AND FREE CONRAD!!!

Love the fact Python is a likely demote, since I'm low on orbs now and I shouldn't really prioritise a New heroes banner right now. Great art, too. Strange he's not blue (or at least red bow so we have someone red, but I understand him being green to bring B Tomebreaker in the pool (finally!).

Silque should be the smarter target because more Witchy Wand+ staffs would be nice for AA. Plus I love her design and voice. 

I'm a bit meh on Forsythe as a character but his weapon looks fun. Glad to see Catria have better art but not really targeting her.

Free Conrad is nice, although it's a shame he has no prf. Hope he at least gets good stats and Barrier Lance kind of sadly makes sense since I remember Conrad for his Res. At least get good skills, but I feel sorry for the fans who wanted him as Farfetch'd (RIP Mask accessory dreams).