I made clam chowder and I ate it.

XRay

I am bored, so I am going to write about how I made clam chowder.

I opened 12 cans of minced clams and dumped them into a large pot.
I opened 2 cans of cream of potato and 2 cans of cream of celery and dumped them into the pot.
I also threw in a can of crab meat that I opened two days ago. I thought it would be chunks of crab meat, but the meat is finely minced or grounded, so kind of like a pate. It is not as good as it looks. It does not taste bad, but the texture feels a bit rough and papery so it is not exactly pleasant.
I turned on the stove and stirred the soup around.
The soup seemed a bit too liquidy, so I poured in instant mash potato gradually to thicken the soup up.
I forgot to throw in some frozen shrimp and butter before hand, so I threw them in at this point.
Once the shrimp is cooked, I threw in four handfuls of frozen mixed vegetables.
When it is done, I threw in a can of condensed milk to cool the soup down a bit and poured the rest of my instant mash potatoes to thicken the soup.

Once the clam chowder is done, I laddled it into my bowl. I garnished with lots of black pepper. Since I did not want to keep garnishing my bowl, I garnished the pot with lots of black pepper. Then I got seconds. And thirds. I felt satisfied after my third bowl of soup.

Edited by XRay

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Huh, shrimp in clam chowder? I don't think I've actually ever had that.

Usually there is not any shrimp in clam chowder, nor ground crab meat either. I was trying to clean out my fridge, so I added in whatever seafood that needs to be eaten.

39 minutes ago, coldhand25 said:

How was it? I worked in the States this whole summer, and I had the chance to taste it, but didn't really like it. It was too a bit too thick for me, and it really isn't something you would come across often here at home. 

It was great, at least I liked it. My mom likes it too, although she probably does not like it as much as I do. I love soups and stews in general, especially the thicker and more filling ones.

Yeah, clam chowder is an American thing, so I do not expect to easily find it outside of the States. It is pretty easy to make though. If you are lazy, all you really need is canned clams, some kind of liquid dairy product (cream, milk, etc.), some thickener (flour, cornstarch, instant mash potatoes, etc.), and potatoes. I skipped potatoes for mine since I am trying to reduce my starch intake, but I did add instant mash potatoes for that potatoey flavor and to thicken the soup.

Edited by XRay

The first (and only time) I had clam chowder was when I was a kid and I wanted to order it just to prove that I could eat it.

I threw up later that night.

13 minutes ago, XRay said:

It was great, at least I liked it. My mom likes it too, although she probably does not like it as much as I do. I love soups and stews in general, especially the thicker and more filling ones.

Yeah, clam chowder is an American thing, so I do not expect to easily find it outside of the States. It is pretty easy to make though. If you are lazy, all you really need is canned clams, some kind of liquid dairy product (cream, milk, etc.), some thickener (flour, cornstarch, instant mash potatoes, etc.), and potatoes. I skipped potatoes for mine since I am trying to reduce my starch intake, but I did add instant mash potatoes for that potatoey flavor and to thicken the soup.

I love soups as well, but mostly the not so thick ones. Fun fact, in Hungary we have soup-like food, the only difference is they are super-thick. Kind of like the clam-chowder, if we had this here, it would be considered that. We tried to figure out how it would be called in other countries, but with the other hungarians, polish and americans we came to the conclusion that there really isn't a word for it. We call it "főzelék", and it can be made from literally any vegetable. Peas, beans, potatoes just to name a few.

I might actually give clam-chowder another shot this coming week, see if I'll like it more if I make it.

34 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Cream of celery?  Just what do you keep in that pantry of yours?!

I cooked clam chowder at a friend's house the other day. She did not have much at home since she recently moved in to her apartment, so I went to a grocery store to buy ingredients for clam chowder. Her pot is really small, so I only used about half the ingredients I bought. I took the rest of the ingredients home and bought more today.

In my pantry, I like to keep a variety of stuff, so let me see:
I have a huge collection of spices and herbs.
I like to have a box of instant mash potatoes since they are so versatile; use them to thicken stuff up, coat things like breading, or just pour hot water and milk and eat them as mash potatoes.
I also like to have a few cans of milk and coconut milk since they do not go bad and are packaged in just the right amount I need.
I have also bought a lot of canned beans lately since my military recruiters told me to cut starchy foods like pasta and potatoes, but they said bananas and beans were okay, so I eat bananas and beans whenever I crave carbs.
I also have a few cans of chilli and a ton of canned soup; a lot of canned soups were on sale, so I bought some today.
I have a few cans of taco meat, but I seem to ran out of taco shells; yeah, canned taco meat is a thing, I did not know they existed until I saw it.
I have some dried anchovies and shrimp; I use them as a garnish or to flavor certain dishes.
I have some canned fruits for smoothies.

47 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

The first (and only time) I had clam chowder was when I was a kid and I wanted to order it just to prove that I could eat it.

I threw up later that night.

46 minutes ago, coldhand25 said:

I might actually give clam-chowder another shot this coming week, see if I'll like it more if I make it.

I did not expect clam chowder to be an acquired taste, although disliking seafood seems rather common.