The Tactician in chapter 11 of Hector's Tale

Paper Jam

One quirk of Hector's Tale is that the player character is conspicuously absent from the early chapters until you meet up with Eliwood again. I wondered how it would change things to have the Tactician accompany Hector from the beginning. To that end, here is some dialogue that I guess you could call mini-fanfic.

The Tactician in chapter 11H:

(scene as officially written)

Uther: “Peace, Oswin. Let him go. There’s no reasoning with him when he gets like this.”

Oswin: “…”

(Hector leaves)

(If the Tactician is present)

Uther: “Mark! Attend me!”

Oswin: “...”

Uther: “Mark, despite your youth, Matthew has spoken highly of your tactical prowess, which I believe that Hector will need now more than I will. Your orders are to ensure that he comes to no harm on his journey to Pherae. Meet Matthew at the rear gate for further instructions, and be wary; I suspect that some villainy is afoot even here.

Uther: One more thing, Mark... I entrust you with the future of Ostia itself. If anything happens to my brother, I will personally see to it that the same happens to you.”

(Another room in Castle Ostia)

Hector: “Matthew! Matthew! Blast it! Where could he be?”

(scene continues as written until the chapter begins)

(Start of battle)

If the Tactician is present:

Matthew: “Mark, excellent timing! Milord Uther told me that you would be joining Hector and myself on this journey. We need to fight our way through those blackguards to the gate so that we can rendezvous with Lord Oswin and Lady Serra outside.”

Hector: “Mark? What is the youngest of my brother's advisors doing here?”

Matthew: “I requested his tactical assistance, which milord Uther granted. Guide us well, Mark.”

Of course, this changes everything about the final scene of chapter 12, which I have also "edited" thus:

Hector: “Hmm…That is troubling. Actually, a captain of the guard was watching the fight when we arrived. He was a knight of Santaruz, and yet he just stood there and let a lord be attacked. I think he was planning on seeing you die.”

(If tactician is present)

Hector: “So, Mark. What do you think? … Indeed. Lord Helman is probably in danger too. Let's go! To Santaruz!”

Eliwood: “Hector, who is this?”

Hector: “This is Mark. My brother insisted that I would need tactical advice, and…”

Eliwood: “Ah, Mark! You helped Lyndis during Caelin's succession war last year, did you not? I am pleased to hear that you have found work in Lord Uther's court; I have no doubt that you will guide Hector and me well.”

Hector: “Mark is the youngest of my brother's military advisors, but… Lord Uther and his best agents have vouched for (him/her), and (he/she) has guided me well so far. I had some difficulty even leaving Castle Ostia, and I may not have succeeded if it weren't for (him/her).”

Eliwood: “It sounds like your tactical prowess is as keen as I remember from last year. It is good to see you again, Mark.”

(If Dorcas is alive)

Dorcas: “Good to see you again, Mark. Natalie and I have moved to Pherae since you last saw us, and Eliwood has hired me to accompany him in search of his father. Lead us well!”

Edited by Paper Jam