What setting should the next fe be

issysito

I was thinking about it in my head but should the next fe foucs on a specific culture(s) or just carry on with a european medival setting.

I would personally like and african based continent or maybe and iberean continent. Also i would like the next game whereever it takes place to link a previous world to it without the use of dlc ect.

what would you like the setting to be?

I would like an FE game with a very strong Celtic atmosphere to it. I think that would be very interesting to see.

The technology would still be Medieval, but there would be a lot of Celtic aesthetic as well as different features of different Celtic groups. It can have Champion Warfare and Clans. It could have druids return with nature-based magic in addition to dark magic; manipulating trees, growing thorns out of the ground, stuff like that. Maybe even involuntary shapeshifting. 

One idea I had was 3 kingdoms at least: one as a counterpart to Scotland, one as a counterpart to England, and one as a counterpart to France. The Scottish and French-based kingdoms would have an alliance built around repelling invasions by the England-based kingdom. 

Okay, let's go for modern-day Yaso-Inaba with mirages. Our pimp Yu-kun can have Robin, Yosuke can go for Gatrie, Chie and Yukiko gets Hana and Sakura, and Kanji takes Hector

Ahem, serious answer: Renaissance to early-Industrial with at least several European-inspired countries, and two Asian-inspired ones. Basically coming to terms with the winds of change, with countries that have seen better days (influenced from either China or any of the Southern European ones in the 18-19th Century) pitted against, ones that have been going strong for some time (France, UK, and Netherlands maybe?), and against emerging ones (Japan, USA, Germany in the 19th C).

Renaissance fantasy, please. An aesthetic similar to Divinity's Reach in Guild Wars 2 would be welcome. 

A world centered on the burgeoning arts and sciences rather than religious conflicts. Priests replaced by alchemists/doctors, at least for one of the factions.

The countries would be heavily based on Italy, Spain, and France.

Edited by Etheus

On 10/21/2019 at 2:03 PM, Etheus said:

Renaissance fantasy, please. An aesthetic similar to Divinity's Reach in Guild Wars 2 would be welcome. 

A world centered on the burgeoning arts and sciences rather than religious conflicts. Priests replaced by alchemists/doctors, at least for one of the factions.

The countries would be heavily based on Italy, Spain, and France.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:32 PM, henrymidfields said:

Okay, let's go for modern-day Yaso-Inaba with mirages. Our pimp Yu-kun can have Robin, Yosuke can go for Gatrie, Chie and Yukiko gets Hana and Sakura, and Kanji takes Hector

Ahem, serious answer: Renaissance to early-Industrial with at least several European-inspired countries, and two Asian-inspired ones. Basically coming to terms with the winds of change, with countries that have seen better days (influenced from either China or any of the Southern European ones in the 18-19th Century) pitted against, ones that have been going strong for some time (France, UK, and Netherlands maybe?), and against emerging ones (Japan, USA, Germany in the 19th C).

Reading these 2 i heavily agree with both of the ideas. I feel like  the main conflict in the 2 games would be about magic struggling to come to terms with it irrelvance or it could tackle issues of discimination against magic people or something (unlikey due to the fact newer games has tackled racism in some form). however in general the idea of technological progression in an FE game sounds inevitable but hopefully we get a game that revolves around a plauge or something to explain why it all happened.

On 10/21/2019 at 2:34 AM, vanguard333 said:

I would like an FE game with a very strong Celtic atmosphere to it. I think that would be very interesting to see.

The technology would still be Medieval, but there would be a lot of Celtic aesthetic as well as different features of different Celtic groups. It can have Champion Warfare and Clans. It could have druids return with nature-based magic in addition to dark magic; manipulating trees, growing thorns out of the ground, stuff like that. Maybe even involuntary shapeshifting. 

One idea I had was 3 kingdoms at least: one as a counterpart to Scotland, one as a counterpart to England, and one as a counterpart to France. The Scottish and French-based kingdoms would have an alliance built around repelling invasions by the England-based kingdom. 

I had an idea for a game based around celtic culture, but it was mostly just the plot of macbeth. It would be really cool if it didnt revolve around a king and was a revnge story of sorts set in the cold highlands

4 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

The mecha fire emblem i am design for fun is straight up magic vs science lol.

So... Code Geass, the game?

In all seriousness, a mecha Fire Emblem could be interesting; perhaps as a Fire Emblem x Xenoblade Crossover. 

4 minutes ago, issysito said:

I had an idea for a game based around celtic culture, but it was mostly just the plot of macbeth. It would be really cool if it didnt revolve around a king and was a revnge story of sorts set in the cold highlands

Funny how your Celtic game was based on a plot written by an Englishman...

Anyway, a story set in a version of the Highlands would be cool, and so would one that isn't about a king. There are three kinds of warrior-heroes that are very common in Celtic Folklore: kings, champions, and leaders of mercenary companies. Does that last one sound familiar?

4 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

So... Code Geass, the game?

In all seriousness, a mecha Fire Emblem could be interesting; perhaps as a Fire Emblem x Xenoblade Crossover. 

Not exactly, basically the overall concept is that himans and a laguz-like race fight for a special mineral that the former use to power mechas and the latter to create uber-beastones that allow them to turn into kaijus. Also gundam references.

Eastern Europe, particularly countries  based on Romania, Russia and Poland. Romania particularly has already the lore of a dragon that turns human, fitting the Manaketes perfectly. There's also the Iele, nymph-like women that dance in the forests that could fit a songstress/fairy like unit.  Fire Emblem has a game named Thracia that is the actual location of Romania and Bulgary, so why not have a proper continent based on the Balkans and it's culture? Also I want an unit dressed like this, based on the Romanian national costume: 

Spoiler

tumblr_ovc2gblQP61wp4itro1_1280.png

Witcher is a good example of a medieval fantasy with an Eastern European twist. Most Fire Emblem games focus mainly in Western Europe settings but there's more things beyond that.  Europe is much more than France, Germany, Italy, Greece and UK

Edited by Mylady

Why not stay in Three Houses world and use one of the nations described in there?

Almyra would be a very suitable setting for a new game. Not only is it related to a very successful Fire Emblem game but its also different from the usual sort of settings. The idea for an Arabian Nights themed Fire Emblem has been used before and Almyra seems very Arabian in its culture. They could even make it a mixture of cultures with one region being more typical Arabian while another region has a more Mongolian or Turkish design. 

Dagda is also possible though unlike Almyra we don't really know anything about it aside that it exists and has been at war with the Empire in the past. 

I hope they don't change the setting TOO much. I think one of the things which I love the most about FE is it's setting. I love the medieval dark fantasy theme a lot, and I would be upset if it were to change to something else. 

Not that I wouldn't given something new a chance though of course. 

I'm not sure if I'd trust IntSys to do something other than medieval Western Europe. They've had mixed results with portrayals of other cultures in past games.

In a perfect world where I can assume they'd do a great job with it though, it'd be cool to see a Persian Fire Emblem that takes some notes from Zoroastrianism. Similar themes to what Fire Emblem has always ran with but would make for a wildly different aesthetic.

21 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Why not stay in Three Houses world and use one of the nations described in there?

Almyra would be a very suitable setting for a new game. Not only is it related to a very successful Fire Emblem game but its also different from the usual sort of settings. The idea for an Arabian Nights themed Fire Emblem has been used before and Almyra seems very Arabian in its culture. They could even make it a mixture of cultures with one region being more typical Arabian while another region has a more Mongolian or Turkish design. 

Dagda is also possible though unlike Almyra we don't really know anything about it aside that it exists and has been at war with the Empire in the past. 

I don't see Arabian influences on Almyra. They seem to be Mongolian to me for a few reasons:

Olive skin.

An emphasis on mounted archers.

A culture that emphasizes conquest.

Repeated invasions of Fodlan (a western country) by Almyra (an eastern one). 

They seem to, as far as I'm aware, lack the religious emphasis of an Arabic nation. 

16 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I don't see Arabian influences on Almyra. They seem to be Mongolian to me for a few reasons:

Olive skin.

They seem to, as far as I'm aware, lack the religious emphasis of an Arabic nation. 

Mounted archers are a stapple of the Mongols but not unique to them. Another tribe of stepp nomads employing that style are the Turks who would be incorporated in various Islamic empires. They also shared that warrior culture which is why they replaced the typical Persian elites when they arrived. 

Repeated invasions the west by the east also isn't uniquely Mongollian. The various Caliphates all marched west and the Ottomans conquered large regions of Europe. Its true that they aren't religious but you can take the general aesthetic and ignore the controversial religious aspects.  

There are two things that shift the matter away from the Mongols and more to the Middle East. One is Claude who looks far more like an Arabian prince than an aspiring Khan. The other has to do with the ending of the Golden Deer. When the mural shows various leaders it shows a figure who very much looks like a sultan and who's given a prominent place at the exact moment the narrator mentions Almyra. 

There's potential the next game is a remake, probably FE6 or one of the Jugdral games if I had to guess, I think their remake projects for now will be focused on taking older games that were JP only and bringing them forward. And a lot of the mechanics that were brought in with 3H would fit both games, including some of the cut features like this trading mechanic that was in. Seemed like they wanted to up the management aspects of the war phase.

As for what comes after, anyone's guess. We were all over the place as to what we were getting next and got 3H. Something I dont think anyone was really guessing. What I think we will see though, is an improvement on features brought in with 3H. For one I dont see the customization we had over our units, and the freedom over weapon uses going away. Its a good system to allow the player to tweak their army how they want.

Combat arts and Battalions I dont see going anywhere either. Id like to see more animations attached to the Combat arts though. While it was a cool feature, I think they were rather boring to watch.

And finally, an improvement on the Monastery. There's a few ways they could handle this. The first is expanding it to multiple locations we get to explore on this level. Obviously more fitting of an on the move set up like SS, SoV, PoR, Thracia, FE7. Alternatively, they take the static one location, and add My Castle features to it to allow for customization on the player's part. Allow for upgrading of certain buildings, maybe even construction of certain areas, etc.

Setting wise....could be anything. I see our typical fantasy stuff staying tbh, but they have been expanding more on secondary locations. Id love to see something Norse oriented in a future title, and we kind of got that in some ways with Faerghus, but Id like to see them really dive in. Especially with how well Vinland Saga has been showing actual Norse culture and equipment. I could also see them diving into Japanese like cultures yet again?

I do think we wont see a branching story on the level 3H was with multiple paths and MCs though. At most maybe 2, maybe a set up like how SS was done. But I imagine the next will be a smaller scale game in some ways. Instead of branching by having multiple lords, maybe itll branch by a decision made early on, and you stay with the same group?

Edited by Tolvir

• 2 months later...

A golden age Pirate Fire Emblem would also be really unique setting. 

On 10/28/2019 at 10:11 AM, Etheus said:

Olive skin.

Claude/Almyra is neither Mongolian or Arab. It takes influences of various cultures. Anyway, a game set in unexplored countries of Fodlan like Dagda, Brigrid or even Almyra in the future would be very interesting . They would need to be careful to keep Three Houses events vague though. 

On 12/30/2019 at 5:46 PM, Mylady said:

A golden age Pirate Fire Emblem would also be really unique setting. 

Yeah; it could, though there'd probably have to be more emphasis on land warfare than navy & pirates just to maintain class variety. But I see a lot of potential here. There's a lot they could draw inspiration from in the 1650s-1730s. The ideas below are in spoiler tags for length, not story spoilers.

New Weapon Types & Changes to Old Weapon Types:

Spoiler

This was an age full of all kinds of swords: broadswords, smallswords, sabres, etc. 

The bow would fall out of use against infantry due to the rise of firearms, but it would still find relevance as an anti-flying weapon (as 17-18th century guns would be ill-suited to shooting flying enemies as they lost momentum quickly. 

Firearms would have high might, but ignore the strength stat and be unable to double-attack. Pistols would lack anti-armour, but heavier firearms would have anti-armour. 

Classes:

Spoiler

Warrior: Inspired by Scottish city guards, Russian Streltsy, etc. They would be armed with two-handed axes and muskets. 

Cuirassier: A replacement for Great Knight. Heavy Cavalry with armour modified for deflecting firearms. Armed with swords, axes and pistols. 

Artilleryman: A variation of Ballistician; basically a guy with a cannon. 

Grenadier: Infantry specialized in grenade-throwing. 

Byzantium.

Let the units go on Crusade.

The second-in-line for the throne commands a squadron of peasants and marches to a distant land to defend their cousins in the faith (odd though they seem) against rival crusaders of a different religion, each seeking to secure the Holy Land and by doing so please the high powers and assert the divine favor of their faith.

6 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Byzantium.

Let the units go on Crusade.

The second-in-line for the throne commands a squadron of peasants and marches to a distant land to defend their cousins in the faith (odd though they seem) against rival crusaders of a different religion, each seeking to secure the Holy Land and by doing so please the high powers and assert the divine favor of their faith.

Sequel idea: Fourth Crusade.

---

Anyway, I give the same answer I've given before: Colonial Latin America, during the Independence Period. The motherland has been occupied! Fight for the deposed crown or break off as your own nation? You decide!

If most of Echoes mechanics are reused again, I think a game being set in the Sengoku period of Japan would be interesting. Constant wars between clans in a bid to gain power could make use of the overhead map in a less linear fashion. Swords, lances, and bows were common while axes were less so, and they could even introduce firearms without it being out of place, as while they were definitely a gamechanger, it wasn't to the point that it rendered other weapons obsolete like guns did in Europe. The game could either be open-ended, with the player aiming to become a Daimyo and eventually reuniting Japan as Shogun and going about the process through honorable (wiping out bandits, defending the clans honor, conquering neighboring territories, etc.) or dishonorable (assassination, kidnappings, inciting rebellions, and so forth) means, or it could work with a more linear story. Despite being an April Fools day joke, Battle of Revolution had a simple yet interesting twist of Gaidens story taking place from Valbar's perspective, where a samurai avenges his fallen family and ends up getting involved in a much larger conflict, and that could be expanded upon exponentially. Granted, this is pretty much Sword of the Samurai with Fire Emblem mechanics, but considering the former is one of my favorite videogames, I would be down for that.

To the risk of sounding "original", how about a victorians setting ?

Why do I say "original" ? Cause I want those guns, pistols, rifles. And we all know what it is to bring a sword, or axe/lance, against a gun.
Mind you, they could do it like in Bloodborne.