My third try for a first complete Awakening run / questions

mampfoid

Hi everybody, 

I'm giving Awakening a second try and will do a new hard/classic run! 

Here some background:

Spoiler

I learned 2017 of the FE series trying Heroes on my phone. Still playing heroes a lot, but in the meantime I had some contact with the main titles: 

• Awakening: Started and aborted at chapter 19 (hard/classic), see my topic
  • Blazing Blade: Started and aborted at chapter 27. 
  • Shadows of Valentia: Started, aborted and resumed several times. Finally finished my first run last week.
  • Fates: Ordered Conquest, not sure when I will have time to play. Thanks to @daisy jane and @Diovani Bressan helping me with the decision. 
  • Three Houses: Perhaps I'll buy a Switch in winter time. 

I stopped playing Awakening the first time mostly because I didn't have time to finish the run and I wasn't sure anymore whom to develop/deploy. Blazing Blade was fun until the maps grew too big. 

Ok, so while the last time I had a male Robin, this time I went with a female one with SPD boon and HP bane (it's not too late to start all over if that wasn't optimal). I'll try to enjoy the story (still don't know the end of the story yet, even if Heroes spoils a lot) and not bug myself trying to solve every side-quest. But I want to focus on Galeforce and give this skill to many units. If it's not too much grinding, 4-6 units should be doable. 

I still have the golden package DLC (to level up second row units), but I hope I won't have to use that map much. I'm not planning to buy additional DLC now, but I remember some were recommended (Lost Bloodlines, Future Past). 

Even if I'm not totally new to Awakening, I still have some open questions: 

1. Marriage / Children:
    One point that made me always feel I missed something in my first run, so I should plan this early. 
    1. Are there some must-have couples/children? 
    2. I like to build (strong) Galeforce units, who are the best couples for GF babies? Do the mothers have to be Dark Fliers? 
    3. First ideas (WIP), need to prioritize ~4-6 GF units:
      1. Galeforce Morgan and GF Lucina from Chrom + Robin
        or better Chrom + Olivia? I would need to start over again if i want to marry Chrom to her
      2. GF Severa from Cordelia and Lon'qu
      3. GF Mage Owain from Lissa (Dark Flier) + Ricken (?)
      4. GF Kjelle from Sully + Donnel OR
      5. GF Nah from Nowi + Donnel. Btw: Can Nah Galeforce in dragon form? 
      6. GF Brady from Maribelle and ?
      7. GF Cynthia from Sumia and Henry
      8. GF Inigo from Olivia and ? 
      9. GF Laurent from Miriel and ? 
      10. GF Noire from Tharja and ? 
      11. Yarne from Panne and ?
      12. Gerome from Cherche and ?
      13. Did I forget someone? 
    4. Donnel passes down Galeforce as the only (?) male unit. Should I use him with Sully, Cherche, Panne or Nowi? 
    5. Are there any must-have skills that I should inherit to my child units?
    6. Do I need to use second seals on the parents? 
    7. As far as I understood, parents pass down skills they learned until the moment their child joins the team, right?  
    8. Is there are child unit that I should prioritize because he/she is hilariously funny? 

2. Getting skills /second seal
    1. Which skills are must-have (at least on one unit of the team)? 
    2. How should I class my Galeforce users? Any visits into other classes
      recommended? 

3. Weapons / Items:
    1. What are the most important weapons/items for each class? I remember Killer and Brave weapons were good, also Javelins and Hand Axes, especially early in the game. Is it worth looking into spotpass for these? 
    2. I remember Nosferatu and Excalibur were useful tomes. Any other stuff that can make my mages kill easier? I remember them dying fast. 
    3. Teleporting: Is there any other way to teleport than the rescue staff?

4. Healers:
    1. They heal and use rescue. What else should I let them do?
    2. How does a really good healer look like, what do I have to do to make him/her good? 

Some things I remember from my first run: 

1. Dragon stones running low fast. 
  2. Plan couples beforehand. 

Thanks to everyone who helps me out. I'll try to read and respond 2-3 times a week, depending on my progress in the game. 

Edited by mampfoid

I've done quite a few runs of Awakening (one with a full GF team) so I think I can help a bit.

Awakening is flexible enough that you can get by with whatever pairings you like so there's no issues even if you go for stuff like Miriel/Vaike and the like. However for optimal setups and the highest distribution of GF possible you'd have something like this:

• Chrom+Olivia/Sumia. I personally prefer Olivia because she offers Swordfaire on top of GF and Henry!Cynthia is too good to pass up. You already went the Chrom+F!Robin route so no worries, Lucina and Morgan are going to be extremely good.
  • Cordelia does fine with almost any father but I think the best pairing non M!Robin pairing she has is Stahl. He offers the Myrmidon line just like Lon'qu but on top of that he gives Severa access to the Cavalier line to get Luna and Aegis from it. Regardless, Cordy can do well with almost anyone. 
  • For Lissa I think it's between Libra/Ricken/Henry. It'll depend on how much you wish to min-max him. If you want to go full magic then Ricken, if you need Ricken somewhere else then Libra. Henry offers a more balanced spread which helps if you want to keep Owain as a Swordmaster. I personally prefer Libra because his hair is almost the same color as Lissa's which makes Owain look almost like in the official art. 
  • As for the 3 possible GF girls (Kjelle, Nah, Noire) you'll have to sacrifice one of them. The males that pass down the Pegasus line to girls are M!Robin, Gaius and Donnel. Because you're going with F!Robin that already leaves one kid without access to GF so you'll have to choose. How you go about the pairings depends on where your priorities lie. Donnel gives both GF and Armsthrift which lets the kid use their weapons without consuming uses while Gaius offers a very high Spd modifier. I'd recommend Donnel+Nowi so you don't have to worry about Dragonstone uses and Tharja+Gaius because Noire is a beast with GF+Forged Nosferatu. Kjelle is not that great statwise but she makes for a fine support if you pair Sully with Vaike. 
  • Yarne,Gerome and Laurent are fully support units so it's better to focus on min-maxing them as much as possible. For Yarne and Gerome get a father that has access to the Brigand line so they can end as a Berserker (offer +10 Atk when used as Pair Up fodder) while Laurent will prefer a father that can bring his mag to the max (Ricken). 
  • Inigo will do fine with any parent because Olivia alone already gives him anything he needs. If you wish to min-max give him a parent with access to the Cavalier line so he gets Luna and Aegis.

4. As a reminder, Gaius and Donnel don't pass GF by themselves. They pass the Pegasus line if they have daughters so they only benefit Noire/Kjelle/Nah. 

5. For skill inheritance there's nothing that's a must have (outside of GF for the boys that can get it, of course). I'd say it's between convinient stuff like Armsthrift or a proc skill like Luna to avoid reclassing into Mercenary or Great Knight. Only GF is semi-mandatory. 

6. Olivia/Lissa/Maribelle/F!Robin need to use Second Seals if you want them to pass GF to their children. As for others, you'll be using Chrom the whole game so it doesn't hurt to make him go through the Great Knight and Paladin classes to get some nice skills. Donnel absolutely needs to use one to get out of the Villager line. Depending on how much you're willing to grind it's how many Second Seals the other Gen 1 units will need. 

7. Skill inheritance works like this. The parents will pass the last skill they have equipped before entering the paralogue (the skill in the middle if I recall correctly). They only pass one skill so you have to be careful about which skill is in the last slot before entering the kid's paralogue. The exception to this is Chrom because he's always going to give Aether to his daughters and Rightful King to his sons even if he hasn't learned those skills yet so no need to worry about what he has equipped. 

8. Character wise I'm biased towards Severa because she's best tsun daughter but people like Owain/Cynthia/Inigo the most. You can give yourself an idea of how their personalities are because most of them are in Heroes. Laurent is basically Miriel 2.0. 

Skills:

Galeforce is the closest thing to a must have skill. In my opinion the best skillset for a unit would be something like this: 

Galeforce+Lifetaker+Proc.Skill+Armsthrift+xFaire+Aegis/Pavise/Dual x. If the unit doesn't have access to Galeforce then having a second Dual x+ skill or a second Breaker can come in handy. Lifetaker can be replaced with Renewal if you don't have access to the Mage/Dark Mage line but have access to the Priest line. Armsthrift is not necessary by any means but it saves you some gold and is very fun when combined with Legendary weapons. The Faire skills are extra Atk which is always a good thing and Pavise/Aegis help against unexpected reinforcements if your Skl is high enough. 

Galeforce users love high mobility classes so any flier or cavalry class will be the best fit for them. If you want there's always the option of giving Boots (I think you get them from some spotpass stuff) to a child and then you'll be able to keep them in an infantry class. 

Weapons:

Forged Brave weapons is the most broken thing in Awakening thanks to how Pair Up works. However, it is very expensive and those weapons wear out fast. Not to mention that they require pretty high Weapon Ranks so you won't be using them until late game. For early-mid game dual ranged weapons and Nosferatu will be your best friends. Normal Mages and Sword users can get by with normal weapons. Killers are great to kill stuff fast but they have low durability just like Brave weapons so a good strat is to kill one mook with a Killer, proc. GF and then switch to a 1-2 range weapon to tank during EP. 

For Mages it's either Nosferatu or Celica's Gale (you get this from Spotpass Celica, although it's quite expensive and has low durability). Normal mages aren't all that useful in this game so I'd refrain from using them as combat units. Instead focus on Dark Mages because Nosferatanking is OP. 

Healers: 

And this is where normal mages shine. The Sage class has access to staves and when coupled with their huge Magic they'll outheal every other class in the game. 

The best Rescue users are Falcon Knights because they have the mobility to bring your units across the map with ease. A good strat is to kill something, proc. GF and then use Rescue to bring another GF pair into the fray. I think this is a common strategy for low turning maps (except the GF part because getting it tends to take too long). 

It has been a while since I did a run of Awakening but uh...let's see what I can help with.

1. Marriage/Children: Personally I have never bother much with children units after my second playthrough since you don't really need them to beat the main campaign (though you will need them if you plan on doing the Future Past and Apotheosis DLC maps). I think it is easy enough to beat Hard/Classic with just gen 1 units if you just focus on building 10-12 of them (though I suppose if you did that your only good Galeforce users would be Sumia, Cordelia, F!Robin and potentially Lucina).
    1. I don't think there really is any must have children/marriages outside of things like Chrom being paired with F!Robin, Sumia, Olivia or Maribelle if you want Lucina to have access to Galeforce. Same for Nah, Kjelle and Noire if you want them to have Galeforce their moms will have to marry M!Robin, Gaius or Donnel so the Pegasus Knight classline gets passed down to them.
    2. Yes, mothers have to at least have access to the Dark Flier class to learn Galeforce since they learn the skill at level 15 in that class. If you want the child unit to have access to Galeforce right away without having to go through Dark Flier themselves you have to make sure before you start their Paralogue chapter that Galeforce is equipped to the mother at the bottom of the list since children units inherits whatever skill is equipped on the bottom of their parent's equipped skills (and male child units like Owain and Brady can only get Galeforce through inheritance this way).
    3. I recommend Robin/Chrom since Lucina will have access to almost every class this way and Morgan will can get Rightful King (won't get Aether sadly). Yes, Nah can still activate Galeforce while as a Manakete. I mentioned it already but I if you want another Galeforce user I recommend pairing Gauis with Tharja or Sully since the class line he usually passes down (Fighter/Berserker/Hero) gets changed to the Pegasus class line for Noire and Kjelle. The rest can probably be paired up however you wish.
    4. I personally recommend Donnel/Nowi since Nah will gain access to Galeforce, Armsthrift (to help conserve Dragonstone usage) and Sol (to help tank better). Also, (sorry if I said this too much) Gaius can also allow Nah/Kjelle/Noire to learn Galeforce. I recommend Gaius marries Tharja so Noire has a better max stats mod. Also, Yarne, Laurent and Gerome can never get access to Galeforce (despite Yarne having the skill naturally in Heroes).
    5. You absolutely want to pass Aptitude down to whoever Donnel's kid is for the increased stat growths. Males with the Fighter or Barbarian class lines (like Vaike) can pass Axefaire, Rally Strength and Counter to their daughters
    6. Errr...I would say at least once to reset you character's level so they can continue to level up and gain stats. Also, if you want more skills you will have to change classes especially if you want your children units to learn specific skills. Example: If you want Owain (or even Lissa herself) to get Galeforce Lissa will have to reclass to Dark Flier at some point and get to level 15 to learn the skill.
    7. When you start a child unit's paralogue chapter they will inherit whatever skill is currently equipped on the bottom of their parent's equipped skill. So if you want them to have a specific skill you have to make sure to switch the parent's skills around to make sure the skill you want the child unit to have is on the bottom before starting the chapter (and I forget all the time so I am constantly exiting the chapter and reorganizing the skills around). For Lucina you have to make sure her mother has the right skill equipped on the bottom before Ch.13 (Lucina always inherits Aether from Chrom even if he hasn't learned it yet).
  2. Skills/Second Seals
    1. Honestly, just Galeforce, Armsthrift (to help conserve weapon usage), Lifetaker (for your offensive or Galeforce units) and Sol/Renewal (for your tanking units). Maybe a proc skill like Astra and Luna would also be nice to have. Any other skill would just be nice to have if you happen to come across it while playing naturally. Having a powerful skillset only really matter if you are doing something like the Apotheosis DLC map.
  3. Weapons/Items
    1. Personally I get by just fine with Iron/Steel/Silver along with Javelins/Hand Axes and effective weapons like Hammers/Horseslayers and the like since things like Brave weapons can only be easily gotten late game and stronger 1-2 range weapons like Short Axe and Tomahawk are hard to come by without summoning the legacy spotpass characters teams to the overworld.
    2. Personally I think every mage who is not Robin ends up weak in this game unless you reclass them to Dark Mages so they can use weapons like Nosferatsu, Mire and Waste or use a broken setup like Nosferatsu/Vengeance/Vantage/Wrath.
    3. I don't remember if the Warp staff is in this game but I don't think it is so sadly no.
  4. Healers
    1. If they are in the Trickster class they can be great utility units and open doors and lockpick chests without the need for keys.
    2. Personally I like my healing units to be in classes with good movement like Valkyrie for Maribelle or reclassed Lissa or Trickster for characters like Anna. Having a high magic stat is also important since the range for those staves like Physic and Rescue are determined by their Magic stat divided by two.

Anyways, I hope this helps and you have fun playing the game.

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:
  1. Marriage / Children:
    One point that made me always feel I missed something in my first run, so I should plan this early. 
    1. Are there some must-have couples/children? 
    2. I like to build (strong) Galeforce units, who are the best couples for GF babies? Do the mothers have to be Dark Fliers? 
    3. First ideas (WIP), need to prioritize ~4-6 GF units:
      1. Galeforce Morgan and GF Lucina from Chrom + Robin
        or better Chrom + Olivia? I would need to start over again if i want to marry Chrom to her
      2. GF Severa from Cordelia and Lon'qu
      3. GF Mage Owain from Lissa (Dark Flier) + Ricken (?)
      4. GF Kjelle from Sully + Donnel OR
      5. GF Nah from Nowi + Donnel. Btw: Can Nah Galeforce in dragon form? 
      6. GF Brady from Maribelle and ?
      7. GF Cynthia from Sumia and Henry
      8. GF Inigo from Olivia and ? 
      9. GF Laurent from Miriel and ? 
      10. GF Noire from Tharja and ? 
      11. Yarne from Panne and ?
      12. Gerome from Cherche and ?
      13. Did I forget someone? 
    4. Donnel passes down Galeforce as the only (?) male unit. Should I use him with Sully, Cherche, Panne or Nowi? 
    5. Are there any must-have skills that I should inherit to my child units?
    6. Do I need to use second seals on the parents? 
    7. As far as I understood, parents pass down skills they learned until the moment their child joins the team, right?  
    8. Is there are child unit that I should prioritize because he/she is hilariously funny? 

2. Getting skills /second seal
    1. Which skills are must-have (at least on one unit of the team)? 
    2. How should I class my Galeforce users? Any visits into other classes
      recommended? 

3. Weapons / Items:
    1. What are the most important weapons/items for each class? I remember Killer and Brave weapons were good, also Javelins and Hand Axes, especially early in the game. Is it worth looking into spotpass for these? 
    2. I remember Nosferatu and Excalibur were useful tomes. Any other stuff that can make my mages kill easier? I remember them dying fast. 
    3. Teleporting: Is there any other way to teleport than the rescue staff?

4. Healers:
    1. They heal and use rescue. What else should I let them do?
    2.  How does a really good healer look like, what do I have to do to make him/her good? 

1. Marriage/Children

1. I can't really say, other than the fact that you cannot marry Chrom to Sully if you want Lucina to have Galeforce.
2. The mothers must be able to access Dark Flier, because Galeforce is learned at level 15. However, male units can only get it through inheritance (which means Laurent is out of luck because his mother doesn't have access to the Pegasus Knight class tree).
3. I would recommend Chrom/Sumia mostly because it's convenient and easy to work on. Chrom/Olivia in comparison is too much wait for too little profit, especially since Chrom must marry after the chapter she joins in, and honestly isn't worth the hassle. That said, if you're hellbent on marrying Chrom, that's fine too. For the others...

1. Owain, despite his ramblings about his sword hand, is best built as a mage thanks to Lissa's being magically inclined.
  2. Brady is also best as a mage for the same reason (his mother is magically inclined too).

...And that's the best I can give you. Sorry for not being more help.

4. Gaius and Robin, the latter of whom passes down every class accessible (gender restrictions factored in), also allow female units that normally cannot access Galeforce (those being Kjelle, Noire, and Nah) to get it. That said, though, Donnel is not that good a father, even with Galeforce access factored in.
5. Galeforce aside, the only other noteworthy female-exclusive skill is Dual Support+, which is also a level 15 skill. As for male-exclusive skills, there's pretty much nothing of note to pass down.
6. Like stated, you'll need to use second seals to reset your units' levels or if you want more skills, which is especially true if you want the children to inherit specific skills.
7. Basically, the moment you start the paralogue, the last skill the parents have on them is passed down to the child unit. You'll want to be careful about what skill is last in the queue. The sole exception is Chrom - he always passes down Aether to daughters and Rightful King to sons (coincidentally, Chrom's best pairing results in two daughters).

2. Skills

Galeforce aside, noteworthy skills include -faires, a proc skill (except for Sol and Lethality), and Renewal.

3. Weapons/Items

1.I tend to get by just fine with Iron/Steel/Silver weapons and occasional use of effective weapons (Brave weapons are great, but they aren't available until very late in the game, as in right before the final chapter late; coincidentally, how good they were in this game is why they were nerfed in Fates. Stronger throwing weapons are also hard to get a hold of).
2. Nosferatu is good, but the dark mages have issues. Aside from that, you have Celica's Gale (randomly obtained from sparkling tiles; I would mention Waste, but it's not only buyable late, it's also drearily inaccurate at only 45 hit, and only usable by dark mages and sorcerers), Katarina's Bolt (also obtained from sparkling tiles), Mire (long range tome used by dark mages and sorcerers; this one is also hard to get a hold of normally),
3. No.

4. Healers

1. Tricksters can also open doors and chests (keys are limited in this game and not buyable, unlike in previous games).
2. Good classes for healers are the high mobility ones, like Falcon Knight and Valkyrie for females. Male units are stuck on foot for staff classes, unfortunately.

Hope this helps, and have fun! 

Big thanks for all the useful answers, I think I'm getting an image of what I want to do and also how Skill Inheritance works. I compiled most information of how to build my team into a sheet:

Spoiler

Unit Starting Class Skills 2. Class Skills 3. Class Skills
F!Robin Tactican -> ?   PK -> Dark Flier Galeforce    
Chrom Lord -> Great Lord Aether/RK ?      
Lucina Lord -> Great Lord   ?      
M!Morgan Tactican -> Grandmaster   ?      
Cordelia PK -> Dark Flier Galeforce        
Stahl Cavalier -> Great Knight Luna        
Severa Mercenary   Myrmidon -> Swordmaster   Cavalier -> Bow Knight ?  
Lissa Cleric   PK -> Dark Flier Galeforce PK -> Falcon Knight?  
Ricken Mage -> Dark Knight Lifetaker        
Owain Myrmidon -> Swordmaster?   Mage -> Sage      
Olivia Dancer   PK -> Dark Flier Galeforce    
Frederick Great Knight Luna? Myrmidon -> SM ? Swordfair    
Inigo Mercenary -> Hero   ?      
Sumia PK -> Dark Flier Galeforce ?      
Henry Dark Mage -> Dark Knight Lifetaker        
Cynthia PK -> Falcon Knight          
Nowi Manakete   ? ?    
Donnel Villager Aptitude ?      
Nah Manakete   PK -> Dark Flier Galeforce Manateke ?  
Tharja Dark Mage -> Dark Knight Lifetaker        
Gaius Thief -> Assasin Lethality        
Noire Archer   PK -> Dark Flier      
Maribelle Troubadour   PK -> Dark Flier Galeforce    
?            
Brady Cleric   Mage -> Sage      
Sully Cavalier          
Vaike Barbarian          
Kjelle Knight   Bararian -> Berserker      
Miriel Mage          
?            
Laurent Mage          
Panne Taguel          
?            
Yarne Taguel          
Cherche Wyvern Rider          
?            
Gerome Wyvern Rider          

Priority is from top to bottom, don't know yet what to do with Laurent, Yarne and Gerome. As you can see, there are still a lot of white spots ("?") and open questions:

1. Until when does Robin need to learn Galeforce to pass it to Lucina (there is no paralogue)? Or does she get the full Pegasus Knight / Dark Flier tree from Robin?
  2. I'm not sure when a mother passes a class tree or only a skill. Does Olivia need to become a swordmaster to let Inigo learn Swordfair? Or would he get it (or the tree) from Frederick? 
  3. Where do I get all those necessary Second Seals? I looks like I need to make a time sheet ... 
  4. I don't want to grind all the time. When would be a good level to use a second seal on a child unit like Owain, Severa, Brady and Morgan?
  5. Who should become my utility (trickster and ?) unit?
19 hours ago, Alexmender said:

Yarne,Gerome and Laurent are fully support units so it's better to focus on min-maxing them as much as possible. For Yarne and Gerome get a father that has access to the Brigand line so they can end as a Berserker (offer +10 Atk when used as Pair Up fodder) while Laurent will prefer a father that can bring his mag to the max (Ricken). 

How would such a support unit look like? Beserker + what skills? 

18 hours ago, Alexmender said:

and Henry!Cynthia is too good to pass up.

Why is it so good? How do I have to build the family? My idea was a Dark Flier with Lifetaker and Lethality. 

18 hours ago, Alexmender said:

I've done quite a few runs of Awakening (one with a full GF team) so I think I can help a bit.

Wow, that sounds cool! But I think I'll go the middle route between yours and @NSSKG151's approach. 

19 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

Personally I think every mage who is not Robin ends up weak in this game unless you reclass them to Dark Mages so they can use weapons like Nosferatsu, Mire and Waste or use a broken setup like Nosferatsu/Vengeance/Vantage/Wrath.

Ooh, I want to build one of those. Who would be the perfect candidate? Noire? 

• If they are in the Trickster class they can be great utility units and open doors and lockpick chests without the need for keys.

Who would be a good trickster with the ability to deal damage as well? 

Anyways, I hope this helps and you have fun playing the game.

Big help, thanks! I'm looking forward to it. First the planning part though. 

18 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

...And that's the best I can give you. Sorry for not being more help.

You've all been a big help so far, thank you! 

18 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

5. Galeforce aside, the only other noteworthy female-exclusive skill is Dual Support+, which is also a level 15 skill. As for male-exclusive skills, there's pretty much nothing of note to pass down.

Wouldn't that be a skill for a support unit like Yarne or Laurent? 

10 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Big thanks for all the useful answers, I think I'm getting an image of what I want to do and also how Skill Inheritance works. I compiled most information of how to build my team into a sheet:

Reveal hidden contents

F!Robin Tactican -> ?   PK -> Dark Flier Galeforce    
Lucina Lord -> Great Lord   ?      
M!Morgan Tactican -> Grandmaster   ?      
Nowi Manakete   ? ?    
Gaius Thief -> Assasin Lethality        
?            
Sully Cavalier          
Vaike Barbarian          
Kjelle Knight   Bararian -> Berserker      
Miriel Mage          
?            
Laurent Mage          
Panne Taguel          
?            
Yarne Taguel          
Cherche Wyvern Rider          
?            
Gerome Wyvern Rider          

Priority is from top to bottom, don't know yet what to do with Laurent, Yarne and Gerome. As you can see, there are still a lot of white spots ("?") and open questions:

1. Until when does Robin need to learn Galeforce to pass it to Lucina (there is no paralogue)? Or does she get the full Pegasus Knight / Dark Flier tree from Robin?
  2. I'm not sure when a mother passes a class tree or only a skill. Does Olivia need to become a swordmaster to let Inigo learn Swordfair? Or would he get it (or the tree) from Frederick? 
  3. Where do I get all those necessary Second Seals? I looks like I need to make a time sheet ... 
  4. I don't want to grind all the time. When would be a good level to use a second seal on a child unit like Owain, Severa, Brady and Morgan?

How would such a support unit look like? Beserker + what skills? 

Why is it so good? How do I have to build the family? My idea was a Dark Flier with Lifetaker and Lethality. 

Wow, that sounds cool! But I think I'll go the middle route between yours and @NSSKG151's approach. 

Class inheritance works like this: The kid unit will get every class that their parent has as long as it's not genderlock. For genderlock classes (and Wyvern Rider with Panne despite it not being a genderlocked class) it depends on the parent so it's a little hard to list them but this page has all the info you need for that stuff: https://serenesforest.net/awakening/characters/children/

This means that you are only forced to get GF from F!Robin/Olivia/Lissa/Maribelle before recruiting their children. For the others you can get them whenever. Note that F!Robin needs GF for M!Morgan, Lucina can get it whenever she wants.

You can get Second seals from random Anna's that pop-up around the map every now and then but the reliable way to get them is after chapter 16 (or earlier if you do Severa's paralogue as soon as it unlocks. Although that one is kinda tough so I wouldn't recommend it unless you grind a bit). 

For Second seal usage the best time is after the unit learns all the available skills they get from their class. Granted, not every class offers good skills so it'll be mostly up to you to see how you want things to go. 

For utility you can use practically anyone you want, but you get better usage from anyone that can go though the thief class and learn Locktouch (open chests without keys). That's the double edge nature of Awakening, it can get overwhelming if you try to min max everything first try but it also has all the flexibility in the world so you can fool around with anyone and still come with pretty good results. 

About the min-maxed pair up bot kids. It only matters for the Apotheosis DLC because during normal gameplay you won't get a lot of value considering the amount of time it takes to grind. But to answer your question, a min-maxed support needs high modifiers in their main stat (Atk for Berserkers and Mag for Sages) and their skillset will be something along the lines of: Dual Guard+, Dual Support+ (only Gerome can get this from Cherche), Str/Mag+2, the last 2 slots are free to let you use whatever you want but in a min-maxed setting you'd use something like Limit Breaker and Aggressor but those two are DLC skills so using Axefaire/Tomefaire and a filler is good enough. 

Keep in mind that proc skills don't activate if the unit is in the back of the pair up so you get nothing from giving pair up bots skills like Luna/Astra/Lethality/etc. 

The beauty of Henry!Cynthia is that she becomes stellar at both offense and support. Henry gives Cynthia access to the troubadour line which lets learn the skill Dual Support+. What this skill does is that it increases all the bonuses granted by pair up (Avoid, Crit, etc, etc) which can get pretty ridiculous when she's married. She also gets access to the dark mage line for Lifetaker or Nosferatanking strats (although she doesn't really need Lifetaker because she can get Renewal thanks to Sumia's access to the Cleric line). Henry's balanced spread also works in Cynthia's favor because it grants her the flexibility to go for either physical classes or magical classes.

For a nice build she'd be a Dark Flier with GF, Dual Support+, Lifetaker/Renewal, Luna and Lancefaire/Tomefaire depending on whether you want her to focus on physical or magical damage.

6 hours ago, mampfoid said:

1. You will get Lucina at the end of Chapter 13. Robin probably won't get Galeforce by then without some grinding for it but Lucina will have access to every class (besides male exclusive classes) so you can just have Lucina become a Dark Flier and learn Galeforce herself. I recommend just having Robin pass down Veteran so Lucina can gain levels faster.
  2. Might I recommend this page from Sereneforest? It provides charts for all children and show what classes they inherit from their parents and what skills they can only get through inheritance.
  3. You can buy second seals from the Chapter 16 shop after completing it. Before then you only get a few from enemies or villages or get lucky to buy one from random Anna merchants
  4. I would change classes as soon as you get all the skills you want out of them. Unlike other Fire Emblem games you can level up almost infinitely in this game so there really isn't any reason to level a class up to 20 before changing classes. Just know that you must reach at least level 10 in a class before changing to another one.

Ooh, I want to build one of those. Who would be the perfect candidate? Noire? 

I think there are only a few units who can use that setup since you need Vengeance from Sorcerer, Wrath from Berserker and Vantage from Myrmidon. The only characters who can gain access to all those classes are Inigo and Owain if Olivia/Lissa marries Libra or Henry. M!Morgan is also a strong candidate because he will have access to all three classes regardless of who his father is.

I personally just use Anna as my Trickster on all my playthroughs since she comes ready as a Trickster and can hold her own especially when using Levin Swords. Late game I usually switch her over to Sage so she is basically a 'Mage Trickster' since I am usually out of Levin Swords by then and her magic stat will probably be much higher than her strength. However, the disadvantages to using Anna is that while she is good at dodging most attacks she has poor HP and Def so she can't take too many hits when an attack does land through. She also doesn't really have many good support options so she doesn't really get to benefit much from pair up and support bonuses.

Other than her I reckon Owain, Inigo and Severa would probably be better Tricksters late game if you are not planning on using them as galeforce powerhouses since they will start with a C rank in swords so they will be able to use Steel/Levin Swords right away. They will need Henry, Gaius, Lonqu, Kellam or Vaike as a father to get access to the Trickster class. I suppose M!Morgan and Lucina would also be good Tricksters but you would probably want to use them as your main offensive units over a utility role.

11 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Wouldn't that be a skill for a support unit like Yarne or Laurent

Ayup. 

Until when does Robin need to learn Galeforce to pass it to Lucina (there is no paralogue)? Or does she get the full Pegasus Knight / Dark Flier tree from Robin?

Chapter 13. That said, Lucina gets the Pegasus Knight class tree (and everything else) from Robin, so there's no need for Robin to get it herself.

I'm not sure when a mother passes a class tree or only a skill. Does Olivia need to become a swordmaster to let Inigo learn Swordfair? Or would he get it (or the tree) from Frederick? 

The child inherits all the class trees their parents have, except in the case of gender locked classes (and Panne's Wyvern Rider class, for some reason).

Where do I get all those necessary Second Seals? I looks like I need to make a time sheet ..

You either need to clear chapter 16 or clear one of Severa, Nah, or Inigo's paralogues (the former is likely to happen first).

19 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I don't want to grind all the time. When would be a good level to use a second seal on a child unit like Owain, Severa, Brady and Morgan?

in general, it's best to reclass early (note you must be level 10 first).

Anna. However, I must note Levin Swords aren't exactly common; you get one from Gangrel, and after that, there are only two others short of random merchants (and one of those is in the second to last chapter).

Pairing up Robin increases their experience gain by 50%!  Healers can be good for baiting mages.  Their high resistance can tank magic hits and bring threats into range.  Pair up and the lunge skill, are like 1 square teleports!

Thanks to all of you again. Here my slightly modified plan (WIP):

Spoiler

F!Robin Tactican -> ? Veteran PK -> Dark Flier Galeforce    
Lucina Lord   PK -> Dark Flier   ?  
M!Morgan Tactican. Myrmidon   Babarian -> Berserker   Mage -> Sorcerer  
Nowi Manakete   ? ?    
Gaius Thief -> Assasin Lethality   Locktouch?    
Lon'qu            
Sully Cavalier          

Kjelle Knight          
Miriel Mage          
?            
Laurent Mage          
Panne Taguel          
?            
Yarne Taguel          
Cherche Wyvern Rider Dual Support+        
Vaike Barbarian          
Gerome Wyvern Rider   Babarian -> Berserker      
  1. One big question will be who the child units should marry. Still have time to solve that though. 
  2. Noticed I didn't marry Lon'qu yet (in my plans) to anyone. Would Maribelle be a good partner? 
7 hours ago, Alexmender said:

Class inheritance works like this: The kid unit will get every class that their parent has as long as it's not genderlock. For genderlock classes (and Wyvern Rider with Panne despite it not being a genderlocked class) it depends on the parent so it's a little hard to list them but this page has all the info you need for that stuff: https://serenesforest.net/awakening/characters/children/

[...]

For Second seal usage the best time is after the unit learns all the available skills they get from their class. Granted, not every class offers good skills so it'll be mostly up to you to see how you want things to go. 

8 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:
8 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

The child inherits all the class trees their parents have, except in the case of gender locked classes (and Panne's Wyvern Rider class, for some reason).

Ok, I think I got it now, thanks!

7 hours ago, Alexmender said:

You can get Second seals from random Anna's that pop-up around the map every now and then but the reliable way to get them is after chapter 16 (or earlier if you do Severa's paralogue as soon as it unlocks. Although that one is kinda tough so I wouldn't recommend it unless you grind a bit). 

I liked Severa's map when I played my first run (interesting setup, needed a couple of tries), Nah's map was more annoying. 

8 hours ago, Alexmender said:

For utility you can use practically anyone you want, but you get better usage from anyone that can go though the thief class and learn Locktouch (open chests without keys). That's the double edge nature of Awakening, it can get overwhelming if you try to min max everything first try but it also has all the flexibility in the world so you can fool around with anyone and still come with pretty good results. 

Yeah, I won't optimize everything, but it's better to plan a little bit ahead. 

Cool! Locktouch is a thief level 1 skill. It should be easy to have someone around with that skill. Perhaps I could pass it to Noire, or would I waste some good skill Gaius could pass? I can think only of Lethality. 

About the min-maxed pair up bot kids. It only matters for the Apotheosis DLC because during normal gameplay you won't get a lot of value considering the amount of time it takes to grind. But to answer your question, a min-maxed support needs high modifiers in their main stat (Atk for Berserkers and Mag for Sages) and their skillset will be something along the lines of: Dual Guard+, Dual Support+ (only Gerome can get this from Cherche), Str/Mag+2, the last 2 slots are free to let you use whatever you want but in a min-maxed setting you'd use something like Limit Breaker and Aggressor but those two are DLC skills so using Axefaire/Tomefaire and a filler is good enough. 

It's low priority, but perhaps I'll still try it with Gerome. Should I pair Cherche with Vaike to pass the Barbarian line? 

Keep in mind that proc skills don't activate if the unit is in the back of the pair up so you get nothing from giving pair up bots skills like Luna/Astra/Lethality/etc. 

Never noticed that, good to know! 

The beauty of Henry!Cynthia is that she becomes stellar at both offense and support. Henry gives Cynthia access to the troubadour line which lets learn the skill Dual Support+. What this skill does is that it increases all the bonuses granted by pair up (Avoid, Crit, etc, etc) which can get pretty ridiculous when she's married. She also gets access to the dark mage line for Lifetaker or Nosferatanking strats (although she doesn't really need Lifetaker because she can get Renewal thanks to Sumia's access to the Cleric line). Henry's balanced spread also works in Cynthia's favor because it grants her the flexibility to go for either physical classes or magical classes.

For a nice build she'd be a Dark Flier with GF, Dual Support+, Lifetaker/Renewal, Luna and Lancefaire/Tomefaire depending on whether you want her to focus on physical or magical damage.

Hmm, my plan for her looked like this (see sheet above):

Sumia PK -> Dark Flier Galeforce

If I made her a Dark Flier, I'd need another candidate for a Falcon Knight.

Do Falcon Knights need Lifetaker anyway? 

• You will get Lucina at the end of Chapter 13. Robin probably won't get Galeforce by then without some grinding for it but Lucina will have access to every class (besides male exclusive classes) so you can just have Lucina become a Dark Flier and learn Galeforce herself. I recommend just having Robin pass down Veteran so Lucina can gain levels faster.

Oh Veteran is a nice idea ... then she'd need to become a Dark Flier, no idea what should be her final class. 

1. I would change classes as soon as you get all the skills you want out of them. Unlike other Fire Emblem games you can level up almost infinitely in this game so there really isn't any reason to level a class up to 20 before changing classes. Just know that you must reach at least level 10 in a class before changing to another one.

Ok, so I need to get a unit to thief 10 before switching class to get the Locktouch skill. 

9 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

I think there are only a few units who can use that setup since you need Vengeance from Sorcerer, Wrath from Berserker and Vantage from Myrmidon. The only characters who can gain access to all those classes are Inigo and Owain if Olivia/Lissa marries Libra or Henry. M!Morgan is also a strong candidate because he will have access to all three classes regardless of who his father is.

I'll build Morgan, since I didn't have a plan for him anyway, he can't fly and veteran will help with all the class changes. Should look like this, right? :

Tactican (lv 10), Myrmidon (lv10), Babarian -> Berserker (lv 15), Mage -> Sorcerer

Other than her I reckon Owain, Inigo and Severa would probably be better Tricksters late game if you are not planning on using them as galeforce powerhouses since they will start with a C rank in swords so they will be able to use Steel/Levin Swords right away. They will need Henry, Gaius, Lonqu, Kellam or Vaike as a father to get access to the Trickster class. I suppose M!Morgan and Lucina would also be good Tricksters but you would probably want to use them as your main offensive units over a utility role.

9 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Anna. However, I must note Levin Swords aren't exactly common; you get one from Gangrel, and after that, there are only two others short of random merchants (and one of those is in the second to last chapter).

Why would I need a trickster anyway? Locktouch is avalable from thief lv1 and Acrobat seems pointless when I have a lot of fliers. 

1. I would change classes as soon as you get all the skills you want out of them. Unlike other Fire Emblem games you can level up almost infinitely in this game so there really isn't any reason to level a class up to 20 before changing classes. Just know that you must reach at least level 10 in a class before changing to another one.
8 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

in general, it's best to reclass early (note you must be level 10 first).

Good to know, thanks! 

9 hours ago, kremelover said:

Pairing up Robin increases their experience gain by 50%!  Healers can be good for baiting mages.  Their high resistance can tank magic hits and bring threats into range.  Pair up and the lunge skill, are like 1 square teleports!

Veteran helps also leveling the support partner? That's good to know, thanks! 

Which class do I need for Lunge? Couldn't find it. 

4 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Veteran helps also leveling the support partner? That's good to know, thanks! 

Which class do I need for Lunge? Couldn't find it. 

I don't think it does - the effect is only for Robin, as far as I know.

Lunge is not a skill in this game - it is a skill associated with the Wyvern Rider class in Fates.

4 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't think it does - the effect is only for Robin, as far as I know.

Too bad, that would have made my planned grinding easier. 

4 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Lunge is not a skill in this game - it is a skill associated with the Wyvern Rider class in Fates.

I don't think 1 square would have mattered anyway. I'm using it in Heroes for one-turn clears often though. There maps are smaller and 1 square matters. 

Thanks for clarifying! 

20 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I don't think 1 square would have mattered anyway. I'm using it in Heroes for one-turn clears often though. There maps are smaller and 1 square matters. 

I would imagine.

I don't know if you know this already, but enemies will have forged weapons later on (you can tell they're forged if their names are blue). Forged enemy weapons don't follow the normal rules; they have two tiers - normal forges (+4 Mt and +10 hit) and illegal forges (+8 might and +20 hit).

7 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Oh Veteran is a nice idea ... then she'd need to become a Dark Flier, no idea what should be her final class. 

I guess that depends on whether you want Lucina to use Parallel Falchion and Rapiers since she can use Parallel Falchion in any class that lets you use swords but Rapiers can only be used by Lords/Great Lords. I usually have her end in Great Lord (even if it just for the unique class aesthetics) or Paladin.

7 hours ago, mampfoid said:

I'll build Morgan, since I didn't have a plan for him anyway, he can't fly and veteran will help with all the class changes. Should look like this, right? :

Tactican (lv 10), Myrmidon (lv10), Babarian -> Berserker (lv 15), Mage -> Sorcerer

Looks right except you can just use a Second Seal to go from Berserker to Sorcerer without having to go back down to Dark Mage and wasting another Master Seal.

Edited by NSSKG151

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't know if you know this already, but enemies will have forged weapons later on (you can tell they're forged if their names are blue). Forged enemy weapons don't follow the normal rules; they have two tiers - normal forges (+4 Mt and +10 hit) and illegal forges (+8 might and +20 hit).

Didn't know that. Can I loot them after defeating them? 

Just now, mampfoid said:

Didn't know that. Can I loot them after defeating them? 

No. Enemies that drop weapons would have a normal version of the weapon that they drop when defeated.

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

No. Enemies that drop weapons would have a normal version of the weapon that they drop when defeated.

Too bad, then I think I won't look much after the illegal blue name. 

2 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

I guess that depends on whether you want Lucina to use Parallel Falchion and Rapiers since she can use Parallel Falchion in any class that lets you use swords but Rapiers can only be used by Lords/Great Lords. I usually have her end in Great Lord (even if it just for the unique class aesthetics) or Paladin 

Never tried paladin, last time I liked her original outfit better. 

Are Rapiers necessary somewhere? Don't armors better die to magic? 

5 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Looks right except you can just use a Second Seal to go from Berserker to Sorcerer without having to go back down to Dark Mage and wasting another Master Seal.

Oh really? I thought only Donnel could go directly to promoted classes (after getting Villager level 30). 

Never tried paladin, last time I liked her original outfit better. 

Are Rapiers necessary somewhere? Don't armors better die to magic? 

You can always swing a Rapier at a horse unit since Rapier are strong against cavalry and armors but yeah in later chapters its better to fight armors with magic due to their high defense and lower res.

Oh really? I thought only Donnel could go directly to promoted classes (after getting Villager level 30). 

Yeah, special classes like Villager and Manaketes can go straight into promoted classes at level 30 (though I wouldn't wait until level 30 to change Donnel into another class because that is just wasted weapon experience since Donnel doesn't use lances in any of his other available classes) but also any unit that is at least level 10 in a promoted class can second seal into another promoted class. If you try to use a second seal on a promoted class that is below level 10 you are stuck with non-promoted classes as options. It's kind of similar to non-promoted classes needing to be on level 10 to use a Master Seal except for promoted classes they need to be at least level 10 so they can use Second Seals to go to other promoted classes though it is better to wait until level 15 in promoted classes to pick up the skill and then change to another class.

8 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Yeah, special classes like Villager and Manaketes can go straight into promoted classes at level 30 (though I wouldn't wait until level 30 to change Donnel into another class because that is just wasted weapon experience since Donnel doesn't use lances in any of his other available classes) but also any unit that is at least level 10 in a promoted class can second seal into another promoted class. If you try to use a second seal on a promoted class that is below level 10 you are stuck with non-promoted classes as options. It's kind of similar to non-promoted classes needing to be on level 10 to use a Master Seal except for promoted classes they need to be at least level 10 so they can use Second Seals to go to other promoted classes though it is better to wait until level 15 in promoted classes to pick up the skill and then change to another class.

Ok, that will save me some time. Didn't consider weapon levels though. 

Do you think Lon'qu would be a good father to Brady? 

3 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Ok, that will save me some time. Didn't consider weapon levels though. 

Do you think Lon'qu would be a good father to Brady? 

Yeah, I believe Lonqu is one of the better fathers for Brady since it helps fix his low speed growth. I think I remember having Lonqu as Brady's father in one of my previous playthroughs and Brady ended up being a good Sage

tl;dr: RIP my Awakening run. 

Ok, so far I really enjoyed this Awakening run. I got some units to ~150 might. Donnel and Robin got the first Second seals, Stahl and Cordelia married, as well as Donnel/Nowi and Ricken/Lissa. I just got Libra, Tharja and Anna. ... but:

Today I lost my 2DS and the Awakening Cartridge in the park ... 😞 

Thanks for everyone who helped

8 hours ago, mampfoid said:

tl;dr: RIP my Awakening run. 

Ok, so far I really enjoyed this Awakening run. I got some units to ~150 might. Donnel and Robin got the first Second seals, Stahl and Cordelia married, as well as Donnel/Nowi and Ricken/Lissa. I just got Libra, Tharja and Anna. ... but:

Today I lost my 2DS and the Awakening Cartridge in the park ... 😞 

Thanks for everyone who helped

Sorry to hear about that. That really sucks. I'm guessing you never found it?