What are some clever details you noticed (Spoilers)?

1 minute ago, DefyingFates said:

I think it comes down to two things:

• Cornelia dies before she can stage her coup in CF, so he isn't forced into exile and left alone with his thoughts for five years.
  • The Church throws their lot in with him, which means Rhea is around to keep him calm. We know that, despite her flaws, she's a very caring and tender person when she has to be, so it makes perfect sense that she'd be able to talk him through his mental hang-ups; Dimitri even admits that he would have turned out differently if he'd had his A Support with Mercedes - another deeply religious person - sooner.

But once Edelgard has him beat, his anger comes to the fore and he snaps, so she's forced to put him out of his misery.

And thanks for checking! Which fight are you on?

I left on the prep screen for Blood of the Eagle and Lion when I went to bed last night. Finished a few minutes ago, and no, there isn't. Sorry.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sid Starkiller said:

I'll check once I finish this fight. EDIT: Nope.

Speaking of CF Dimitri, maybe you guys have some detail I missed: what is up with his characterization? It's like they tried to blend the axe-crazy part with the calmer-after-Rodrigue's-death part, but it just comes off as waffling between them. Please tell me if I missed something here!

According to Dedue, crazy Dimitri was the way Dimitri actually always was. It's just that in Crimson Flower he never reaches the point of discarding the mask he wore during White Clouds. Instead he's more or less stuck in the state he was in during ch. 10-12, openly murderous towards Edelgard but trying to maintain some semblance of sanity for his friends sake. Like the other poster said, since Cornelia never did her coup, he never hit the low of no longer caring.

9 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

According to Dedue, crazy Dimitri was the way Dimitri actually always was. It's just that in Crimson Flower he never reaches the point of discarding the mask he wore during White Clouds. Instead he's more or less stuck in the state he was in during ch. 10-12, openly murderous towards Edelgard but trying to maintain some semblance of sanity for his friends sake. Like the other poster said, since Cornelia never did her coup, he never hit the low of no longer caring.

8 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Thanks. At least now I get it, even if it doesn't make me like any more.

??? Dedue never said that! He was talking about how Dimitri was always a very empathetic and caring person from the start, not the opposite.

Azure moon reveal that the true reason behind his blood-craving behaviour was because he believed it was his duty, and was afraid of being selfish (another problem with Faerghus concept of knighthood). The fact that he didn't want to that but did it anyway is exactly what broke his mind. And the fact he keeps referring to himself as a monster, even before the gronder incident shows he is aware that what he's doing is wrong and contrary to his own ideals.

Another evidence of that is in Heroes : he specifically state "killing is bad, no matter the reason".

Edited by Modirufa6317

12 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

I left on the prep screen for Blood of the Eagle and Lion when I went to bed last night. Finished a few minutes ago, and no, there isn't. Sorry.

No need to apologise! Thanks for checking!

12 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

According to Dedue, crazy Dimitri was the way Dimitri actually always was. It's just that in Crimson Flower he never reaches the point of discarding the mask he wore during White Clouds.

Yeah, that too.

2 hours ago, Modirufa6317 said:

??? Dedue never said that! He was talking about how Dimitri was always a very empathetic and caring person from the start, not the opposite.

Fair, but the way he says that vengeful!Dimitri was the true Dimitri without specifying his empathetic nature is a bit alarming, don't you think? I was always weirded out by that.

Speaking of Heroes, I also think it's pretty clever that Dimitri's Special there is Vengeance. I wonder how many people figured out the significance of that before TH released...

42 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Fair, but the way he says that vengeful!Dimitri was the true Dimitri without specifying his empathetic nature is a bit alarming, don't you think?

Again, he never said that : the dialogue is about peoples claiming that Dimitri finally turned nice, but Dedue counter by saying he has always been nice from the start.

Edited by Modirufa6317

9 hours ago, Modirufa6317 said:

Again, he never said that : the dialogue is about peoples claiming that Dimitri finally turned nice, but Dedue counter by saying he has always been nice from the start.

Huh. I'll have to hear that again the next time I play BL. Thanks!

Edit: Here's something hilarious/ creepy I found playing as F!Byleth:

During the mock battle in Chapter 1, I attacked Hanneman with her. When I next went to his office, I checked the analyser on the floor before talking to him and found...well, Byleth's hair. She's shocked and you're given the option to pull out a few more strands or "Say nothing and pick [the strands he already put there] up."

I'm hoping this just means some of her hair rubbed off on Hanneman's jacket during the battle and he just figured "waste not, want not" instead of...any of the alternatives, really. Has this happened to anyone else, and do you have any idea what could trigger this (also, can you get this as M!Byleth too)?

FWIW, pulling out more hair nets you Support points with Hanneman and I didn't get an option to donate some blood to him, so this seems to replace that particular "feature," though I'm pretty sure he asked for my blood the last time I played as F!Byleth...

Edited by DefyingFates

13 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Might be wrong here, but only on the Verdant Wind version of Gronder fields part 2. Dimitri doesn't have a mourning quote for Sylvain out of all the Blue Lions members. What he did to piss off  Dimitri?

Wait, he mourns the Blue Lions? Makes sense, but that's so sad...

To answer your question: Sylvain gets on everyone's nerves...maybe Dimitri had had enough of him too? Either that or something bugged out 😛

Edited by DefyingFates

8 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Huh. I'll have to hear that again the next time I play BL. Thanks!

Edit: Here's something hilarious/ creepy I found playing as F!Byleth:

During the mock battle in Chapter 1, I attacked Hanneman with her. When I next went to his office, I checked the analyser on the floor before talking to him and found...well, Byleth's hair. She's shocked and you're given the option to pull out a few more strands or "Say nothing and pick [the strands he already put there] up."

I'm hoping this just means some of her hair rubbed off on Hanneman's jacket during the battle and he just figured "waste not, want not" instead of...any of the alternatives, really. Has this happened to anyone else, and do you have any idea what could trigger this (also, can you get this as M!Byleth too)?

FWIW, pulling out more hair nets you Support points with Hanneman and I didn't get an option to donate some blood to him, so this seems to replace that particular "feature," though I'm pretty sure he asked for my blood the last time I played as F!Byleth...

It's the same with M!Byelth as well and Hanneman did ask for blood from either version of Byleth as well.

4 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Might be wrong here, but only on the Verdant Wind version of Gronder fields part 2. Dimitri doesn't have a mourning quote for Sylvain out of all the Blue Lions members. What he did to piss off  Dimitri?

Dimitri does mourn Sylvain in CF chapter 17 map. Idk, the narrative decisions between Dimitri/Sylvain are so weird - like childhood friends by a lot interconnected history, yet only B support? Their support chain itself is silly and fun but doesn't seem as deep as Dimitri's supports with Ingrid/Felix/Dedue (which are all introspective about the Duscur tragedy or about the way the kingdom's chivalry philosophy is upheld to an unhealthy degree), despite Sylvain's clear disdain for crests/nobility. 

Edited by MessengerIris

@omegaxis1 mentioned this in another thread, but Sylvain says this in Garreg Mach during CF Chapter 16:

Sylvain: Some people are so in awe of King Dimitri, they call him the Tempest King. After he wins, there won't be anything left. He'll be a storm, leaving nothing behind. He hates the Empire so much he's willing to do anything to bring it down. 

Byleth: He hates the Empire? 

Sylvain: Yeah, because of the role the Empire played in the Tragedy of Duscur. You know, even back at the Officers Academy, he never had much to do with anyone from the Empire.

Which is a neat way of explaining why he doesn't have any Supports with the Black Eagles. Does anyone mention why Edelgard might not Support with any of the Lions? Though that might explain why so many of the Lions appear as bosses in CF...

Edited by DefyingFates

I can't believe I just noticed this, but in CF there is a mission where you fight against Flayn and Seteth and if you have Manuela the next month the infirmary is closed, and if she's not there it's open to go into.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

On 11/19/2019 at 5:10 PM, DefyingFates said:

Also, if you reach Ingrid's B Support with Annette beforehand, she'll mention the latter teaching her about make-up when Dorothea complains about it to her in their B Support. I wasn't expecting that at all and I loved it!

Huh. Speaking of makeup, it seems that pretty much all the female students wear lipstick (at least after the timeskip).

15 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I can't believe I just noticed this, but in CF there is a mission where you fight against Flayn and Seteth and if you have Manuela the next month the infirmary is closed, and if she's not there it's open to go into.

That's amazing!! And so so sad!!! 😭

Edited by DefyingFates

17 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

That's amazing!! And so so sad!!! 😭

Ikr, I hadn't noticed it at first, but then I realised that was a thing.

Also for the whole month that Flayn is missing, Manuela is no where to be found in the monastery.  Byleth also actually starts emoting a bit more too, but that was just for story reasons and not gameplay.

7 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Ikr, I hadn't noticed it at first, but then I realised that was a thing.

Also for the whole month that Flayn is missing, Manuela is no where to be found in the monastery.  Byleth also actually starts emoting a bit more too, but that was just for story reasons and not gameplay.

Yep! In hindsight why she went missing is still a bit strange; was Jeritza keeping her hostage or something?

Edited by DefyingFates

I kinda feel like that's just an example of gameplay and story segregation: the plot assumes you're doing the whole quest and checking Jeritza's room in one sitting. It's similar to how in the various Part 2s you're marching all around the continent, fighting either for or against Adrestia, and yet you still keep returning to Garreg Mach for lessons, even though logically the characters wouldn't/aren't.

54 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

I kinda feel like that's just an example of gameplay and story segregation: the plot assumes you're doing the whole quest and checking Jeritza's room in one sitting.

Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks!

Might seem self evident but:

For non-crest Bearers, their physique correlates with their stats. Dedue and Raphael are the strongest, slowest characters without a crest and have the highest HP cap in the game. They are also the physically biggest. Ignatz is weak and frail, he is also of a slight build and small physically.

For crest bearers their capabilities follow what their crest is, with characters like Byleth and Edelgard having very balanced stats while Dimitri is a physical powerhouse, having high spd strength and hp. In fact, Dimitri is basically a spear wielding warmaster.

Secondly: Turns out the Adrestian nobles might be right that magic is more of a thing for nobles only. Note that all nobility are from crest bearing bloodlines even if they might not necessarily bear a crest themselves.

All pure crestless characters either lack strong capabilities in magic: having lower avg growths, final stats, bases, or a weakness in Faith or Reason, or just bad or limited spells.

Of the Crestless characters that are strong mages (Hubert, Dorothea) both come from noble lines, Dorothea being a bastard, and Hubert not only comes from Vestra; he is a dark mage. Furthermore, the Adrestian Empire which has the most crest bearers thanks to the very giving Cethleann, Cichol, ect. It is also the country with a noted specialty in mages in lore if not gameplay.

So it turns out humans might not have actually been all that great at magic and either developed Dark Magic to compensate or gained their capabilities from harvesting the Nabateans crests.

Edited by CyberNinja

On 11/29/2019 at 7:39 PM, CyberNinja said:

So it turns out humans might not have actually been all that great at magic and either developed Dark Magic to compensate or gained their capabilities from harvesting the Nabateans crests.

Pretty twisted, but makes sense...thanks!

12 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

A nice detail that’s overlooked is in Sylvain’s and Annette’s C support, he grasps a complicated magic formula very easily, which is nice little reference to Sylvain’s budding talent.

Yep! I had quite a surprise when I saw he could excel in Reason 😄