Jump to content
DefyingFates

What are some clever details you noticed (Spoilers)?

Recommended Posts

Characters that have a weakness in Faith are foreigners to Fódlan (Petra, Dedue, Cyril, Shamir), questioners of the Church/their teachings (Edelgard, Hubert, Dorothea*) or both (Claude). Hilda's probably there more for laziness (or be like the retainers?), and maybe that disrespects the goddess. To show units are bad at magic but still faithful to the church/religion, they just have a weakness in Reason (Ashe, Catherine, Alois, etc.).  

Every house has someone with no weaknesses (Ferdinand, Ingrid, Leonie), one unit weak in swords (Bernadetta, Mercedes, Lysithea*), one unit weak in riding (Dorothea, Dedue, Raphael), 5 units with budding talents, and a main mage with Reason + Authority initial goals (Hubert, Annette, Lysithea). Ignatz is the only commoner with an Authority strength and not part of the 'Weapon + Authority initial goals' club that the main mages and lords are in. However, Golden Deer has 3 units with Authority strengths, and he's the one with the 3 rallies + A-rank Authority skill instead of Lysithea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offering Renown to the Saint Cethleann statue gives you extra points towards Lances and Faith. Guess what Flayn's strengths are. Also, character strengths and weaknesses tend to have to do with their personality and upbringing. For example, Petra is weak in both Reason and Faith; considering that she is still learning the language of Fodlan, it makes sense that a wordy subject would be her bane. Cyril has the same weaknesses, except it's because he's illiterate.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Offering Renown to the Saint Cethleann statue gives you extra points towards Lances and Faith. Guess what Flayn's strengths are.

When the Saints were introduced, you could notice Flayn being a little too excited to introduce the fourth Saint after Macuil, Indech, and Cichol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The character who have weaknesses in Authority have personalities that make them typically unfit for leadership:
- Caspar is too hot-headed and not one for strategy in the first place
- Felix is a loner
- Hilda is a lazy bum

Dimitri's death in Verdant Wind is reminiscent of how Yukimura Sanada (or Shingen Sanada, as his actual name was) died in the battle of Osaka Castle in 1615, rushing the enemy commander alone only to get killed while doing so.
Only less heroic (as Yukimura's "Leeroy Jenkins" moment is often depicted) and more pathetic, which I find fits greatly in the context of Dimitri's character at that point. But that's a discussion for another day.

26 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Offering Renown to the Saint Cethleann statue gives you extra points towards Lances and Faith. Guess what Flayn's strengths are. Also, character strengths and weaknesses tend to have to do with their personality and upbringing. For example, Petra is weak in both Reason and Faith; considering that she is still learning the language of Fodlan, it makes sense that a wordy subject would be her bane. Cyril has the same weaknesses, except it's because he's illiterate.

Adding to the list of people weak in Faith: Claude, because he doesn't believe in religion in the first place and is a pretty mistrusting individual in general.
Then, Annette's and Marianne's strengths in Axes and Swords respectively - despite being inclined more towards magic - make sense when you consider what their Crests' Relics are.

1 minute ago, Karimlan said:

When the Saints were introduced, you could notice Flayn being a little too excited to introduce the fourth Saint after Macuil, Indech, and Cichol.

Yup. Foreshadowing at its finest. At another point, Seteth tells you that he has "a particular fondness for Saint Cethleann", hinting at his connection to her.
I liked how Flayn asked you who your favorite of the four is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Yup. Foreshadowing at its finest. At another point, Seteth tells you that he has "a particular fondness for Saint Cethleann", hinting at his connection to her.
I liked how Flayn asked you who your favorite of the four is.

Another clever piece of foreshadowing is that Flayns birthday is on the official saint Cethlean day. I didn't think much of it in my first playthrough, but the clue seemed so obvious in retrospect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shepherd said:

Another clever piece of foreshadowing is that Flayns birthday is on the official saint Cethlean day. I didn't think much of it in my first playthrough, but the clue seemed so obvious in retrospect. 

The same whit Sethet. This was an outright spoiler for me when combined whit the ? Age. I tought "they are seriously so stupid to use their true birthday?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

The same whit Sethet. This was an outright spoiler for me when combined whit the ? Age. I tought "they are seriously so stupid to use their true birthday?"

And Rhea with Seiros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the Battle of the Eagle and Lion as BE, Ferdinand will invite Dorothea to tea. Every other time I played, she blows him off ("No thanks, Mr. Noble" etc.), but this time, I had already gotten their B support (where she just barely starts to not hate him), and she begrudgingly accepts.

EDIT: Also just noticed, while the rest of the class is celebrating, Mr. Gloomy Gus Retainer Guy isn't there. Figures he wouldn't be much for a party.

Edited by Sid Starkiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

I noticed after I played through the game once how when you replay it, the Flame Emperor's speech patterns sound like Edelgard's. It was something I didn't think about until after the reveal of the character's identity and I thought it was a neat subtle little hint.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before Flayn's disappearance, Edelgard will have a conversation with Byleth. After they leave, Hubert will question whether she revealed to much to the professor; Hubert will state that the risk was too dangerous and that he must take matters into his own hands. During the Flayn rescue mission, Hubert will suggest you take the nearest teleport pad which will bring you through a winding corridor where your infantry will be harassed by archers until you come upon an ambush in the teleport room where one of the soldiers will state "they've been waiting for you." On one hand I don't want to count it because all retainers will point out the portal as tutorial but on the other, the context is pretty clear Hubert is trying to kill you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something that I noticed is with the names of the four routes. The japanese name for three houses is 風花雪月 read as fuukasetsugetsu  which literally means wind flower snow moon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rhea can teach Brawling via Faculty Training. This would seem out of place to the average person... and indeed it probably is.

After their B support, which ends with them arguing, Annette and Mercedes have their dialogue for when they're sharing a meal together changed. It changes again at A rank (maybe to what it was before said support).

The "rocks" in the Sealed Forest... aren't rocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many characters' interactions with you will change depending on whether or not a support conversation was viewed during that playthrough. It's noticeable during exploration as you talk to others, as well as specific share a meal dialogues.

Most sets of characters with hidden Might bonuses in support combat are due to their relations or similarities to one another. Of note, Marianne/Bernadetta and Dorothea/Hilda also give Might in battle, despite neither having support conversations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this games attention to detail. One of my favorites is that in the reveal trailer we see the image below. After playing the game, it makes sense that the four dragons on the sides of the immaculate one are the four saints. Whats even cooler is that the dragon is clearly the Windcaller, which is Saint Macuil's true form that you fight in Claude's paralogue. To the left of him, there is a dragon that I'm assuming is the Immovable, but it's harder to say since he is in the background.

Image result for fire emblem windcaller"

 

One more thing I'm sure is a cool detail is that I think some supports change based on events that happen. I'm not sure if they actually changed, but there are a few post time skip supports that reference that Rhea is missing, and after she is rescued they talk about how she is at the monastery. I'm not sure if the supports were actually altered or if they were just locked until that point in the game. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I love this games attention to detail. One of my favorites is that in the reveal trailer we see the image below. After playing the game, it makes sense that the four dragons on the sides of the immaculate one are the four saints. Whats even cooler is that the dragon is clearly the Windcaller, which is Saint Macuil's true form that you fight in Claude's paralogue. To the left of him, there is a dragon that I'm assuming is the Immovable, but it's harder to say since he is in the background.

Also the star on the top clearly is Sirius (Sothis).

Come to think about it, if everything else on the mural is highly accurate ( Seiros, Immaculate One, Windcaller were all based on actual character), does that also mean Sothis as goddess being depicted here is also accurate form?

 

Quote

The "rocks" in the Sealed Forest... aren't rocks.

I am still wondering what Sealed Forest really was. There are tons of artifacts from both church and TWISTD scatter around there. Plus that magic ruin involved in the story. Maybe it's some kind TWISTD stronghold that was taken by force of Sothis in the ancient war? But why it would be so close to the church?

(Maybe before hostilities the two civilizations lived close by?)

Edited by Timlugia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think someone mentioned already how in Chapter 4, Seteth gives a sidequest to gather information about bandits gathering at a tower, and Chapter 5's story mission is fighting Miklan's bandits at Conand Tower. Well, in Chapter 8, Seteth gives a sidequest to gather information about missing students. Chapter 9's story mission? The missing students have been found, heading to the abandoned chapel and being transformed into Demonic Beasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some random instances of people lying that I noted on my second play through:

- On Chapter 1, Jeralt tels Rhea that Byleth was born "many years after the fire". Bullshit!

- On Chapter 4, one of the knights you can talk to tells a story about a war with Almyra many years ago (I think 200) and that the "archbishop at the time took measures to prevent the border from being taken". This makes me wonder how Rhea handled "succession". I wonder if, wherever that Knight read/heard that story, was the Archbishop not named?  If people can notice that Jeralt doesn't seem to age in 20 years, can't elderly people  today also notice that Rhea hasn't aged in the past 80, and did the grandfathers of these elderly people never tell any stories about archbishop Rhea and her apparent agelessness?

 

Also, the priests who tried to raid Seiros' coffin in chapter 4 deny being associated with the Western road to Rhea, yet Lord Arundel in the dialogue with the Flame Emperor calls them "Western Church Swine". Having only finished CF so far, I am not 100% sure who exactly hired them, so I am not sure whether it was not Those Who Slither or if Arundel is just full of bullshit as well in this dialogue.

Edited by rocanaan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 1:46 PM, Fire Flower said:

Most sets of characters with hidden Might bonuses in support combat are due to their relations or similarities to one another. Of note, Marianne/Bernadetta and Dorothea/Hilda also give Might in battle, despite neither having support conversations.

Bold: I dunno - I think that's false. I tried it, and I didn't see an attack boost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Bold: I dunno - I think that's false. I tried it, and I didn't see an attack boost.

I just checked the linked attacks and gambit boost page, and it lists those as "certain allies" - but then you also need at least a C-support in order to start gaining might bonuses. And since these can't even get to C-support it's pretty much useless lmao

I find the existence of this at all to be interesting, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fire Flower said:

I just checked the linked attacks and gambit boost page, and it lists those as "certain allies" - but then you also need at least a C-support in order to start gaining might bonuses. And since these can't even get to C-support it's pretty much useless lmao

I find the existence of this at all to be interesting, though.

Well that is curious. Maybe DLC supports? I'd say it's a possibility.

And it would continue the theme of Black Eagles and Blue Lions not having supports with each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rocanaan said:

Some random instances of people lying that I noted on my second play through:

- On Chapter 1, Jeralt tels Rhea that Byleth was born "many years after the fire". Bullshit!

- On Chapter 4, one of the knights you can talk to tells a story about a war with Almyra many years ago (I think 200) and that the "archbishop at the time took measures to prevent the border from being taken". This makes me wonder how Rhea handled "succession". I wonder if, wherever that Knight read/heard that story, was the Archbishop not named?  If people can notice that Jeralt doesn't seem to age in 20 years, can't elderly people  today also notice that Rhea hasn't aged in the past 80, and did the grandfathers of these elderly people never tell any stories about archbishop Rhea and her apparent agelessness?

 

Also, the priests who tried to raid Seiros' coffin in chapter 4 deny being associated with the Western road to Rhea, yet Lord Arundel in the dialogue with the Flame Emperor calls them "Western Church Swine". Having only finished CF so far, I am not 100% sure who exactly hired them, so I am not sure whether it was not Those Who Slither or if Arundel is just full of bullshit as well in this dialogue.

Consider Jeralt has worked for Rhea over 100 years, we know that Rhea has been in the current position at least longer than that. And Jeralt himself also never question what Rhea really is, at least on the surface. *

Since people with Crest lives longer than average human, and Rhea claims she had "Divine revelation from the goddess herself", she probably could maintain her cover much longer than average crest holder.

 

* Obviously, alternative theory is that Jeralt know exactly who Rhea is and kept his mouth quiet. There are several hints that Jeralt was more involved in the church business than just a knight captain, only we were never truly explained since he was killed before he could reveal his true knowledge.

 

For Western Church

Spoiler

They were hired by TWSITD/Thales indeed, but they were cheated just like Lornato. Flame Emperor was likely involved or at least acknowledged due to Death Knight's participation

The plan was incite Lornato to begin a rebellion, then pinned a false assassination plan to mislead Central Church defense so Western Church could raid the tomb.

Western Church probably thought they could get some Seiros relics to discredit Central Church and Rhea, but was never told the distraction was an assassination, so they were all killed when captured.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Timlugia said:

Consider Jeralt has worked for Rhea over 100 years, we know that Rhea has been in the current position at least longer than that. And Jeralt himself also never question what Rhea really is, at least on the surface. *

Since people with Crest lives longer than average human, and Rhea claims she had "Divine revelation from the goddess herself", she probably could maintain her cover much longer than average crest holder.

 

Thanks for the explanations (including re: Western Church). What rings weird to me is that, according to what the Knight says, official Church Lore would indicate that successions exist. It's weird that there is some record (or at least verbal stories) of a "past archbishop" doing something, but no records of who were these women and when did these transitions happen. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...