What's the point of training in multiple weapons?

oreudroc

Primarily class requirements, but also in order to unlock certain skills other than breaker skills. For instance, Sylvain, Ferdinand, and Seteth all learn Swift Strikes at A rank lances, so even if you want to make them Wyvern Lords which requires A Rank Axes and only C Rank Lances, it is still worth leveling the skill in order to get that Brave effect.

Additionally, because of how good bows are in Three Houses, I have given almost all of my combat units C Rank in bows in order to unlock Close Counter so they can retaliate to melee units on enemy phase. On harder difficulties, opponents can have skills like Axe breaker so it is worth your time to have at least one back up weapon

Piggy backing off @corey

Cyril brave art skill point blank volley comes at C+, even though I find him as a wyvern using axes and bows. But still would need to get to D+/C in Lance.

And Petra too, sometimes I rather have her curve shot for certain instances as a wyvern. Bows are really good

To meet class requirements.

But at first I would focus on one weapon type per unit first (which has a strength of the unit) to have the breaker skill and the best attributes of a weapon early on. If the unit reached A at least (S would be better), then secondary weapon types can be learned to meet class requirements. Byleth is the only one who should learn multiple breaker skills early on because she has no weaknesses, great growths all around and is all alone for a few chapters.  

A somewhat niche reason, but on some units that are mostly using lances you might want to train a second weapon skill to gain access to a weapon that deals magic damage, to deal with armour units with high DEF and low RES. Ingrid does very well for herself with Lúin and a Levin Sword, for instance (though she'll often be training swords anyway for access to Falcon Knight).

I actually find it very useful. I'm nowhere near done my first playthrough (I just got the game), I'm doing the Black Eagles route, and I find multiple weapons are useful on some of my units.

For example, I made my Petra a thief, and I alternate her from using a bow to using a sword quite frequently. Similarly, I have Caspar always have axes and gauntlets. One reason is that one of those axes is a mace (another being a hand axe). Another reason is that axes have more might, and sometimes that means more damage despite gauntlets attacking twice. 

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I actually find it very useful. I'm nowhere near done my first playthrough (I just got the game), I'm doing the Black Eagles route, and I find multiple weapons are useful on some of my units.

For example, I made my Petra a thief, and I alternate her from using a bow to using a sword quite frequently. Similarly, I have Caspar always have axes and gauntlets. One reason is that one of those axes is a mace (another being a hand axe). Another reason is that axes have more might, and sometimes that means more damage despite gauntlets attacking twice. 

Swords and lances are also more accurate than axes despite having lower might, plus breaker skills exist. I'd say this is another reason to use different weapon types - you basically exchange might for hit/avoid rate and this is amplified with breaker skills.

Edited by Fire Flower

8 hours ago, Fire Flower said:

Swords and lances are also more accurate than axes despite having lower might, plus breaker skills exist. I'd say this is another reason to use different weapon types - you basically exchange might for hit/avoid rate and this is amplified with breaker skills.

Indeed. I haven't gotten far enough in the game yet to unlock breaker skills, but trading might and hit rate is a good point. For instance, I'm training Ferdinand in lances and axes, and, despite his great stats, I often find him in positions where an iron lance will leave the opponent with 1 HP, he won't attack twice with the steel lance, but he will attack twice and KO the opponent with an iron axe. So, really, which weapon I use depends on whether I want him to beat the opponent or not, and, since he's my main tank unit (he has the highest defence), I often will choose to have him damage but not beat the opponent so someone like Bernadetta can get the KO. 

Edited by vanguard333