Black Eagles Route - Recruiting Lysithea

I finally got Three Houses! For my 1st playthrough, I'm doing the Black Eagles Route, and I'm only looking to recruit Lysithea and Ashe (I felt really bad for him after chapter 3). I heard that you can recruit Lysithea in part 2 of the Black Eagles route if you didn't recruit her in part 1. Should I try to recruit her in part 1, or should I wait until part 2?

I have a backup plan for getting two dark seals from the Death Knight for Hubert if I should wait for part 2 to get Lysithea

48 minutes ago, Fire Flower said:

Part 1, her stats/skills/classes in part 2 are very subpar compared to early recruitment in part 1.

44 minutes ago, Arachnofiend said:

In basically every instance it's better to recruit sooner than later for characters you intend to use. The only arguable exception I'm aware of is Ingrid, and that only if you were planning on making her a Falcon Knight already.

Thanks. I figured that. I was mostly just wondering if I was missing out on anything story-wise if I recruit her in part 1. 

She doesn't do anything extra in part 1 story wise, but if you recruit her in part 2 you do get extra conversations from fighting and then recruiting her. If you don't mind her being a lot weaker or something and want to experience that dynamic yourself, you can hold off on that I guess.

1 hour ago, Arachnofiend said:

In basically every instance it's better to recruit sooner than later for characters you intend to use. The only arguable exception I'm aware of is Ingrid, and that only if you were planning on making her a Falcon Knight already.

I've heard talk that for characters who don't immediately bring some sort of utility to the table (like Sylvain and Lysithea), holding off on recruiting them until before/after (forgot which one) the Battle of Eagle and Lion actually gives better stats? I'm not really sure on which is best, though. Is there some kind of consensus now?

15 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I've heard talk that for characters who don't immediately bring some sort of utility to the table (like Sylvain and Lysithea), holding off on recruiting them until before/after (forgot which one) the Battle of Eagle and Lion actually gives better stats? I'm not really sure on which is best, though. Is there some kind of consensus now?

As of Chapter 6, they promote from Beginner Classes to Intermediate Classes and retroactively reap the benefits of all the bonus growths.

More specifically, they promote into enemy Intermediate Classes, which usually have higher growths than their player counterparts.

1 minute ago, bethany81707 said:

As of Chapter 6, they promote from Beginner Classes to Intermediate Classes and retroactively reap the benefits of all the bonus growths.

More specifically, they promote into enemy Intermediate Classes, which usually have higher growths than their player counterparts.

So as long as they're not someone who really needs specific investment and is fine with just their natural skill (Leonie was an example I think) it's better to hold it off, right?

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

So as long as they're not someone who really needs specific investment and is fine with just their natural skill (Leonie was an example I think) it's better to hold it off, right?

While not under your command, they don't gain Authority, Movement Ranks or Mastery Skills. There aren't a lot of units where the extra stats are great enough to justify those, mainly Caspar if you're after the Scythe.

13 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

While not under your command, they don't gain Authority, Movement Ranks or Mastery Skills. There aren't a lot of units where the extra stats are great enough to justify those, mainly Caspar if you're after the Scythe.

Hm. I guess.

Definitely get her sooner than later, especially if you're interested in her supports with Edelgard and Linhardt (post-skip Lysithea will have much less time to build them up), and if you want to control what skills she grows in (I think she only joins with ranks up in Reason and Authority).

12 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Definitely get her sooner than later, especially if you're interested in her supports with Edelgard and Linhardt (post-skip Lysithea will have much less time to build them up), and if you want to control what skills she grows in (I think she only joins with ranks up in Reason and Authority).

Thanks. Yeah; I'm definitely interested in her supports with Edelgard and Linhardt. I'm also interested in her having B in reason before chapter 6 so that she has that anti-cavalry spell as a backup plan in case my current plan for beating the Death Knight and getting the Dark Seal doesn't work. 

So, yeah; thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to recruit her sooner. 

5 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

If you need a backup plan for the Dark Seal, I had a bunch of Curved Shot archers bumrush him through the wall.

Except that he can retaliate any non-gambit attack from any range thanks to that ability of his. 

50 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Except that he can retaliate any non-gambit attack from any range thanks to that ability of his. 

...I know that? As long as they're strong enough that they don't instantly die, I don't see the problem.

Edited by Sid Starkiller