FE7: Is it a bad idea to ignore Lyn and Eliwood completely?

hovah

Hey guys, currently on my first ever FE7 run and i just got to chapter 23 HHM, and i have gotten 3 chapters where eliwood and lyn are required to field. Will this keep recurring? i kept both barely touched since their growths got completely rng-destroyed (eliwood lvl 10 with 7 str and 15L 12D...) 

So my question is as the title suggests, is it possible to completely ignore Lyn and Eliwood in favour of other units, or will i get completely gutted in later chapters by doing this? (such as them being forced into combat by themselves etc.) 

There are a handful of maps where you have to field all three lords, but there is always enough room on the maps for you to put them in safe spots away from danger. Use them if you want, but you don't have to.

Chapter 24 Hector Mode oddly varies based on your three lords' combined levels. 49 or fewer levels between them sends you to map 50 levels total or more between the three sends you to a different fight. You'll be fine regardless of which you go to, even if I'd say one map is a little better than the other.

Eliwood is an interesting case because he actually promoted into a good unit with a mount in FE7 with the heaven seal, but he's pretty far back at the moment and unless you really wanted to feed him kills or something his stats will be meh. So if you feed him kills and use the first Heaven Seal he'll be find unit. With those offenses in 23, it would be hard to spoon feed him a kill.

You are completely fine ignoring them however, but you need to be a bit careful for like a few other maps like the endgame.

Edit: Wait this is a first playthrough AND Hector Hard Mode?

Edited by SubwayBossEmmett

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There are a handful of maps where you have to field all three lords, but there is always enough room on the maps for you to put them in safe spots away from danger. Use them if you want, but you don't have to.

Chapter 24 Hector Mode oddly varies based on your three lords' combined levels. 49 or fewer levels between them sends you to map 50 levels total or more between the three sends you to a different fight. You'll be fine regardless of which you go to, even if I'd say one map is a little better than the other.

Oh? how does that map work? im currently on Genesis and want to blow my brains out figuring out how to do it, my combined levels are 20+10+5 (H,E,L) atm so i guess that level 50 map is not in sight. What am i missing out on? 

32 minutes ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

Eliwood is an interesting case because he actually promoted into a good unit with a mount in FE7 with the heaven seal, but he's pretty far back at the moment and unless you really wanted to feed him kills or something his stats will be meh. So if you feed him kills and use the first Heaven Seal he'll be find unit. With those offenses in 23, it would be hard to spoon feed him a kill.

You are completely fine ignoring them however, but you need to be a bit careful for like a few other maps like the endgame.

Edit: Wait this is a first playthrough AND Hector Hard Mode?

Yupp i patched the rom so i can skip lyn, and do HMM on my first run! I like to challenge myself and also minmax as much as possible, so this was the only way to go personally, im relatively new to the franchise but done all the recent stuff on lunatic/maddening (awakening and up). 

Also i think i could feed eliwood if that is the case, since he is already really tanky, maybe he could work out as some sort of tank/chip damage dealer, if hes gonna be fielded anyways might as well. 

51 minutes ago, hovah said:

im currently on Genesis and want to blow my brains out figuring out how to do it

>currently on Genesis

bruh

Sorry that maps sucks, I hope you're not stuck on it too long regardless.

For the lord chapter thing, their total levels need to combined to 50 to send you to one map vs another. You can read it all here https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Four-Fanged_Offense

The map is Fog of War and the boss is pretty tricky and moves in HHM, but on the flipside you have to fight the other boss of the other map later on in one of the most frustrating maps in the game/series called Cog of Destiny. Oh god you don't even know the pain of Battle Before Dawn do you? I pray for you, and you should let everyone know how your experience on that map goes.

Oh and uh the unit in map with the lesser lord levels is a bad general and the other one is a solid Warrior but eh you don't need the Warrior either. Limited deployment slots mess with HHM's possible fun levels imo.

Oh and for recruiting a unit that actually matters, when you get to Pale Flower of Darkness look up how to recruit Harken. You get either Harken or Karel and Karel is bad while Harken has like the best offenses in the game bar one other guy.

Edited by SubwayBossEmmett

I've found on Hard mode in general, once a unit starts falling behind, it's very hard for them to catch up. If you have been ignoring Lyn and Eliwood to the point where they are much lower level than the regular enemies, you probably might as well just bench them as much as you can.

The only chapters where their deployment is forced (after Genesis) are Unfulfilled Heart (where they are in the middle of the map, and all of the enemy reinforcements come from the edges and corners), Sands of Time (where they start in an area that should remain safe, and if it isn't safe you'll likely lose anyway), and Light (see Unfulfilled Heart).

Oh and for recruiting a unit that actually matters, when you get to Pale Flower of Darkness look up how to recruit Harken. You get either Harken or Karel and Karel is bad while Harken has like the best offenses in the game bar one other guy.

Someone who is on HHM has most likely already beaten the game at least twice, and should therefore know about Pale Flower of Darkness. Nonetheless, this is good advice, to which I would add that I have found Harken to be much easier to get in Jerme's chapter than Kenneth's. You do need to have somebody from Eliwood's entourage (Lowen, Marcus, Isadora, or Eliwood himself) deployed in that chapter to talk to him though.

1 hour ago, Paper Jam said:

I've found on Hard mode in general, once a unit starts falling behind, it's very hard for them to catch up. If you have been ignoring Lyn and Eliwood to the point where they are much lower level than the regular enemies, you probably might as well just bench them as much as you can.

The only chapters where their deployment is forced (after Genesis) are Unfulfilled Heart (where they are in the middle of the map, and all of the enemy reinforcements come from the edges and corners), Sands of Time (where they start in an area that should remain safe, and if it isn't safe you'll likely lose anyway), and Light (see Unfulfilled Heart).

Someone who is on HHM has most likely already beaten the game at least twice, and should therefore know about Pale Flower of Darkness. Nonetheless, this is good advice, to which I would add that I have found Harken to be much easier to get in Jerme's chapter than Kenneth's. You do need to have somebody from Eliwood's entourage (Lowen, Marcus, Isadora, or Eliwood himself) deployed in that chapter to talk to him though.

Ill keep that in mind, ill see if i get anything from the next 2-3 levels or so, if those fail as well im dropping Eli. And as i told Subwaybossemmett, i patched my rom so i skip both LM and can do HHM on my first run.

6 hours ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

bruh

Sorry that maps sucks, I hope you're not stuck on it too long regardless.

For the lord chapter thing, their total levels need to combined to 50 to send you to one map vs another. You can read it all here https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Four-Fanged_Offense

The map is Fog of War and the boss is pretty tricky and moves in HHM, but on the flipside you have to fight the other boss of the other map later on in one of the most frustrating maps in the game/series called Cog of Destiny. Oh god you don't even know the pain of Battle Before Dawn do you? I pray for you, and you should let everyone know how your experience on that map goes.

Oh and uh the unit in map with the lesser lord levels is a bad general and the other one is a solid Warrior but eh you don't need the Warrior either. Limited deployment slots mess with HHM's possible fun levels imo.

Oh and for recruiting a unit that actually matters, when you get to Pale Flower of Darkness look up how to recruit Harken. You get either Harken or Karel and Karel is bad while Harken has like the best offenses in the game bar one other guy.

It has been very fun up until Genesis, took me a few hours to crack that one, watched a LTC video on it after i was done and man was that harder than it had to be.... Rath with bravebow+killer bow seems like it makes that map way less of a headache. Hawkeye and my super RNG lucky raven was my ticket out. 

(if anyone interested about my current deployment) Hector, Lowen,Legault, Lucius, Fiora, hawkeye, Raven, Marcus, Heath and maybe Eliwood now. (Units dropped a long the way for various reasons, but still used quite a bit: Oswin, Sain, Guy, Florina, Erk. Super sad to drop oswin and guy but just cant see where they would fit in the deployment, oswins movement feels like a pretty big detriment, and Guy has almost capped skill/speed but 10-11 str at lvl 12)

Just an update if anyone is curious, i decided to drop lyn completely, but use Eliwood. This is him on the last map and i gotta say i was really satisfied with him. Definitely one of the better characters by the end, decent bulk and pretty good avoid. Often ORKO / enemy RKO'd. (he was useless up until his promotion however.)

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 17.25.05.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 17.24.54.png