Overrated Characters?

Mukmuk

Hi all. As the the title indicates, this is about overrated characters, which in turn goes hand in hand with one of my other topics, that I won't link because I'm lazy, also I don't want to be promoting my stuff. May seem stupid, and it probably is, but whatever. 

Anyways, when looking at tier lists for FE games, the general consensus is that there are "good" and "bad" characters, and others in between or other outliers, etc. After I finish a FE game, I look at the tier lists to see if what the "pros" say match up to mine. And, it almost never does. In this case, overrated characters. 

A basic definition of an overrated character is one that is proclaimed good by many people, but you find him/her/it to be... Not what was on paper. A good example for me was Boyd in PoR (And please, disagree with me). He was too slow, easily outclassed by other mounted units (that, conveniently, also wielded axes), and all around not very useful. Yet, he consistently placed (on the tier lists I looked at) at a High A or low A, and I think it's BS. Oh well, that's me. 

Anyways, I have nothing more to say. I'm always interested to hear opinions on the fandom, so, what are your overrated characters? Have at it. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one that comes to mind was FE12 Sirius really and even then its not because Sirius is bad just kinda restrictive to use and generally performs worse for me than "whoever second string growth unit you pick that will back up Palla Catria Caeda in the late game as a Horseman" unit

I think I will pencil in Xander. Don't get me wrong, give him two of the following: a good speed backpack,  every speedwing in the game, a dedicated speed rally unit just for him, and/or a speed tonic and speed meal, and he is as good as everyone claims, but without a massive speed bonus from somewhere the guy is just subpar (at least on the higher difficulties).

Ryoma? I mean, as with Seth in Sacred Stones do you really need him in what's essentially Awakening 2.0?

31 minutes ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

Character wise or stat wise?

I think we're talking about stats (or gameplay).

Edited by henrymidfields

I feel this is definitely the time to bring up Nephenee. Everyone raves about her, but her performance is pretty mediocre in RD, and awful in PoR.

PoR doesn't need much explanation so I'll talk about RD. She barely damages enemies and contributes less than most units in part 2, with the only exceptions being Astrid and Lethe. Then in part 3, she's outclassed by most GMs. Her combat isn't good until tier 3, and that requires considerable effort to reach, especially when you have far better units who could use that experience, such as Boyd, Mia, etc. 

13 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I think I will pencil in Xander. Don't get me wrong, give him two of the following: a good speed backpack,  every speedwing in the game, a dedicated speed rally unit just for him, and/or a speed tonic and speed meal, and he is as good as everyone claims, but without a massive speed bonus from somewhere the guy is just subpar (at least on the higher difficulties).

😱

Blasphemy! Preposterous.

4 hours ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

CAMILLA

Nah! Her contributions to Chapter 10 and her DNA justify her. She is the mother of the Aryan race.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Alright subpar may be going a bit far, but without some source of extra speed he isn't a top tier unit like people hype.

😂

You do not have to convince me, mate. I have already spent many messages explaining why Xander is just another option. The hype actually comes from Siegfried. And from his dedicated +Speed pair-up “backpack”. And from all Speed Wings and Talismans. Oh!, and from Siegfried.

If anything, Xander is not bad because he can do what Silas can, but with worse Speed and Skill, worse availability and thus worse access to skills and supports bonuses, and a useless kid. (Seriously, if Ophelia’s rewards are added to Odin’s contributions, Siegbert’s mullet should deduct points from Xander. A lot of points.)

Mathilda: while she is one of the better units in Alm's route; she's not top tier material. What holds her back is being available at the half waypoint. That hurts her since at that point Alm's army has some hard hitters with shrine promotions. Later on, Zeke is giving her a run for his money.

Overrated

Clarine - Age old debate on Clarine vs. Cecilia, and I notice that there are more pro-Clarine people than pro-Cecilia. Clarine joins early but, she's really only useful as a healbot until you unlock Cecilia (even then, I'd rather healbot with Saul so I can promote him ASAP since he has higher Mag and staff rank, only joining 1 chapter later). Cecilia comes prepromoted with a meh staff rank but, she can at least hold her own with passable ish bases. Clarine's base magic, staff rank and low level doesn't make her worth using long term imo.

Barst (FE12) - Not really worth using but, is still a good unit. Speed is shaky and joins with a low Axe rank which isn't too great.

Midir - Almost always compared with Jamke, with Midir being called superior almost all the time. Honestly, both aren't worth using at all tbh. Midir has low bases and low growths, and he desperately needs either the Killer or Brave Bow to function well. He does have a horse which is pretty big over Jamke but, Jamke's combat will almost always outclass Midir's (not factoring Mov into the equation). 

Marcia (FE10) - Like Barst, she's definitely a good unit. Never found her too useful in Part 2 bar the prologue (I prefer getting the BEXP in Geoffrey's charge and she needs to maneuver around perfectly in part 2 final chapter due to the high amount of crossbow users) and she joins the Greil Mercs pretty late at a low level. Still good if you invest in her but, ehhhh

Ike (FE9) - Seen the fun old Kieran vs. Ike debate where having OVERKILL DAMAGE is better than having enough damage to KO enemies + a horse apparently. Anyways, Ike is good early due to the influx of Brigand/Axe enemy units but, once you start fighting Daein forces, tankier Lance wielding enemies (Cavs and Knights) become a lot more common. Being swordlocked is also a curse in this game on top of having a decently late promo, he really only becomes OP once he gets Ragnell/Wrath+Resolve which is pretty late in the game.

Boyd - Never been a fan of him tbh, I find him pretty overrated overall (moreso in RD). In PoR he's the best infantry unit but, that's not really saying much considering the game is mounted emblem + 1 mage + Ike. I find that if a unit has to monopolize every Speedwing and Secret Book in the game, maybe the unit probably isn't as good as they claim? He's definitely good in PoR but, I found his usefulness wane further into the game. Now RD is where I find him the most overrated, he's often seen as better than Nolan (looking at vanilla game, no transfers) but, Nolan has Tavros (which is better than Urvan, even then Urvan should go to Jill) and better speed. Boyd's base speed isn't that good, and it doesn't help that his speed growth isn't great either and speed is pretty huge in both Tellius games.

Nephenee (FE10) - I love my bbgirl but I mean, her join weapon weighs her down which is a preeetty big problem for a unit who's strength is in their speed stat. You either risk getting weighed down with great lances or use regular lances and risk having just a low str stat. In PoR she's just bad, having E lances is pretty terrible even though her bases are ok. Doesn't help Kieran joins at the same time as her, and Jill follows up soon enough and they are better candidates for just general exp (both kills and BEXP).

Florina (HHM) - She's gonna be broken if you did Lyn mode but, if you just did HHM I find her overrated. She's valued for being an early flier but, she needs a lot of investment and, there aren't too many opportunities to invest in her (chapter 16/18 have a lot of archers, chapter 16x has a lot of axe units, and chapter 17 she is in danger of random pegs if she wants to pick off the shamans), the only safe chapter to invest in her is her join chapter. And by chapter 18, I find Fiora a much better unit to invest in since she's more durable despite having less speed.

and while we're here...

Spoiler

Underrated

Sigrun - Overlooked in FE10. Her growths are sad but, her bases are pretty solid overall and she gets more bonus stats since she is close to promotion (joins at Level 19). Availability also sucks but, she's still going to be a great asset for your team (except maybe in the tower, unless you BEXP her speed to max)

Hanneman - Often called a bootleg Dorothea or a bad mage. His bases are pretty decent and he has a solid reason list. His utility is nonexistent (unless Rally Mag is important but, it's a free slot at least) but, he has good poke in Thoron/Meteor + high magic and can be a good filler unit for any mages that fall behind.

Saias - Let's be real, everyone chooses Ced because... it's Ced (also Saias aggravates me everytime he shows up with his hacked 10 leadership stars SMH). Definitely a must have for LTC/Speedruns since he joins with A staves (which means Warp) whereas Ced joins with only B staves but for casual play... maybe not?

Callil - Solid filler mage in PoR, imo the best mage in RD. In PoR she joins with Knives (lol) but she joins with solid bases and can use Meteor/Bolting right off the bat. In RD, imo she's better than Soren just because she has a better speed growth (despite a much lower mag) and focuses on Fire magic which I find better than Wind magic overall since it has more power. Availability blows which is unfort.

Isadora - Definitely overshadowed by the 4 cavs that join much earlier, she's still a solid filler unit, being able to double most enemies with her Silver Sword if you invest the body ring to her. 

Edited by Lunarly

You do not have to convince me, mate. I have already spent many messages explaining why Xander is just another option. The hype actually comes from Siegfried. And from his dedicated +Speed pair-up “backpack”. And from all Speed Wings and Talismans. Oh!, and from Siegfried.

Prf weapons are just another layer of weapon exclusivity; it's no different from Odin being able to use Nosferatu (or tomes in general) as an example.

Anyway, to answer the topic Boyd in FE9 comes to mind, but he's already been mentioned several times. I guess that means he's not that overrated? Soren is another character that used to be fairly high on tier lists when he shouldn't have been, but that's not exactly true anymore I think.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:06 AM, Fire Brand said:

I feel this is definitely the time to bring up Nephenee. Everyone raves about her, but her performance is pretty mediocre in RD, and awful in PoR.

PoR doesn't need much explanation so I'll talk about RD. She barely damages enemies and contributes less than most units in part 2, with the only exceptions being Astrid and Lethe. Then in part 3, she's outclassed by most GMs. Her combat isn't good until tier 3, and that requires considerable effort to reach, especially when you have far better units who could use that experience, such as Boyd, Mia, etc. 

Funny you mention Boyd, because I think he's overrated in RD. His base speed isn't that good, and his biorhythm wave is awful. It doesn't help matters that Titania and Gatrie outclass him hard from the word go, and Haar comes in shortly after. This means I have to jump through a lot of mental hoops to find a good reason for deploying him... and there are none.

Besides him, the only two coming to mind immediately are Lysithea and Mozu. The former gets Warp earlier than other units that can get it and hits hard, but I'm not convinced she's that much better than other mages (which a lot of comments on the 3H board will try to sell her as being), especially since Warlock boosts other mages' spell uses and attack power, which she doesn't benefit from because she uses dark magic exclusively. Warp is nice, but it only has one use in 3H, unless you're a Bishop or Gremory. The latter gets a lot of hype from people who think growths are the only thing that matter, and isn't that much better than other units anyhow. Said people also think that feeding most of her paralogue to her is a good idea; I say it's the very definition of absurdity and that those people are grasping at straws.

Edited by Shadow Mir

8 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Besides him, the only two coming to mind immediately are Lysithea and Mozu.

Warp is not the only reason she's liked, she also gets THREE effective spells (Dark Spikes vs cavalry, Seraphim vs monsters, Luna might as well be effective against high res units like mages or pegasi), and she also has multiple nukes to call upon (Hades and Abraxas). Plus Mastermind means she doesn't have to spend most of the game getting those ranks (only about half of it 🙂). She has her flaws (no 1-3 range without a staff, Warlock is useless to her, squishy as hell), but she IS one of the top mages in the game.

Reinhardt in heroes. Dance Ishtar is infinitely superior and is a dance unit. In general, reinhardt isn't that good. 

Eirika from SS. Nobody says she's great, but in one level up, seth gained more stats than Eirika did in 4 (seth gaining str, spd, skill, def, res, lck, eirika gaining 1 lck, 2 skl.)

Eir in heroes.

Legend Ike also in neroes.

Nephenee is probably the most overrated character consistently (Nino is pretty much considered a bad unit without a doubt) in the existence of Fire Emblem... She is so lame despite having a pretty cool skill, that skill can't carry her, she still needs to be carried, and she doesn't get anything from being an unique class gameplay wise (only fooling people into liking her).

Might be controversial, but Kent in HHM. I consistently see Kent described as one of the top units in FE7 and I can't help but disagree. His bases aren't very good when he joins if you don't play Lyn mode, and he just doesn't seem to have a place in the army, especially with the limited deployment slots. When compared with the other cavaliers, he doesn't really seem all that special: Sain is the powerhouse with great strength, Lowen is the tank with high HP and defense, Marcus excels at most things, but Kent is just kind of average at everything. He is sort of marketed as the speedy cavalier but only has +1 base speed and +5% growth over Sain. If you have problems with Forde you should have problems with Kent as well, since they suffer from pretty much the exact same thing.

Most mage girls. While many of them can become all-killing goddesses the key word is can and they take a lot of investment that's often not worth it.

3 hours ago, Benice said:

Reinhardt in heroes.

Eir in heroes.

Legend Ike also in neroes.

A big part of their hype is that they are free to play units. There are a lot of better units, but each of these have been offered for free (except Reinhardt, who is not 5 star exclusive and can easily gotten even F2P), and for the units considered F2P friendly they are amazingly good.

34 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

A big part of their hype is that they are free to play units. There are a lot of better units, but each of these have been offered for free (except Reinhardt, who is not 5 star exclusive and can easily gotten even F2P), and for the units considered F2P friendly they are amazingly good.

I guess, but I'm f2p and I find all of these people useless to a degree. Eir has mystic boost, Ike has innate distant counter and has good skills. No comment on  Reinhardt, though. I do see what you mean; I used Ike a lot before I got my halloween Kagero, and would have used eir if I had a need to, but had amassed a whole bunch of fliers already. Reinhardt is just overrated.