October's Legendary Hero Approaches! Leif: Unifier of Thracia (October 29~)

Coolmanio

mmmm here comed the auto-win unit! Galeforce on a ranged unit, with a brave weapon for both phases and wary Fighter and an excellent stat spread. You can demolish entire AR Defense Teams with Leif and Vantage sweep the rest. Especially when paired with another Galeforce unit. Its especially easy because  ranged means you have to worry less about positioning.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Bunny Palla is totally useful, what are you people talking about? She's super helpful in AR because she disables traps and her dagger is armor-effective so she can take out annoying Surtrs and Dumas and stuff. I always do best in AR when I can use her.

This is a contradiction to itself, considering you appearantly seem to struggle with AR

I think the point is more that in terms of SI, there are only 10 candidates for Pegasus Carrot+ since there are only 11 total coloured dagger units in the game, including Palla herself. Requiring WTA to be effective means it's pretty much useless for all grey dagger units, reducing the appeal of pulling for her on this banner.

Incidentally, 11 is about double the number I would have guessed myself, didn't realise we'd gotten to double digit coloured daggers given that we don't even have a red bow yet.

Edited by Humanoid

On 7/25/2019 at 6:40 PM, Kaden said:

And I am also wondering if they would or when they will introduce a dragon or ranged unit with a personal Galeforce as their exclusive skill and a 4 cooldown Galeforce as a personal skill. And cue that happening for a colorless flying archer Reinhardt alt with a Dire Bow because why not. And then he gets demoted. 

Well, that happened and on two counts: a ranged unit with Galeforce and a lower than 5 cooldown Galeforce through legendary Leif. Three if you want to joke about legendary Leif's Meisterbogen and stats making him a colorless, bow cavalry Reinhardt.

Njorun's Zeal being a 3 cooldown Galeforce with a movement restriction is interesting. Legendary Leif kept his S Drink which more or less is like having Quickened Pulse for a B passive and was given a personal Brave Bow means on turn 1, Leif just needs to shoot someone and not kill them in one shot to activate Njorun's Zeal. As a cavalry unit, forest tiles will impede his movement, but I think the 3 movement and the decision for it to be a 3 cooldown Galeforce instead of 4 or 5 was why it has the can only move 1 space restriction. S Drink and the bow choice further adds to the reasoning. We have 3 movement Galeforce units through Naesala and Tibarn, but they need to be transformed and run Heavy Blade if they want to charge it quickly. They're also not ranged units and 3 movement ones at that. Had Njorun's Zeal been a 5 cooldown special, I could see it not having a movement restriction and 4 cooldown would be pushing it. Had legendary Leif been an infantry or maybe flier or he had a different bow or weapon altogether, then 3 cooldown could work too. Armor wouldn't really matter since they're either going to have 1 or 2 movement if they have Armor Boots or have a Armor March buff. Sure, he'd have access to Bold Fighter, but at that point, for pure damage, Bold Fighter and a damage special would have been better for him.

Regardless, we have our first Galeforce ranged unit. Now I wonder when we'll have our first Galeforce dragon. Also, first unit with two tier 4 skills is another thing.

Stats discussion in the spoiler.

Spoiler

From the screenshot, 40 HP, 38 Atk, 22 Spd, 29 Def, and 27 Res gives legendary Leif 156 BST. He's +Atk LA Roy with a personal Brave Bow, Galeforce, and his S Drink. Compared to LA Roy, +6 HP, +3 Atk, +3 Spd, +2 Def, and -3 Res. As noted before, Reinhardt is comparable, especially a +Atk, -Def Meisterhardt; Meisterhardt's 40 HP, 35 Atk, 23 Spd, 31 Def, and 28 Res where +Atk, -Def gives him 38 Atk and 28 Def.

Fuck me! Leif: Unifier of Thracia got Galeforce and Meisterbow! UOT!Leif has a pretty decent Atk stat too. His Galeforce is kind of nerfed though. I think he could be an okay Counter-Vantage unit, and especially effective against flier balls, but I do not think he that great for it since his Atk is on the low side for that role. Neutral Keaton got 52 Atk while neutral UOT!Leif only got 47 Atk.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Bunny Palla is totally useful, what are you people talking about? She's super helpful in AR because she disables traps and her dagger is armor-effective so she can take out annoying Surtrs and Dumas and stuff. I always do best in AR when I can use her.

Giving up your B slot just to disable traps is not worth it, and most players do not need to disable Traps. Player Phase players want to trigger Bolt Traps to get into HP range for their skills, so disabling Bolt Traps is extremely counter productive for those teams. Heavy Traps are a hassle, but they are not a big deal in most cases since the movement debuff can be easily Danced/Sung off with 2 Dancers/Singers. For Enemy Phase teams, stepping on a Heavy Trap does really do anything, and Bolt Traps are pretty easy to avoid.

Unless the defense team really knows what they are doing, armors are generally pretty crap. Armors may have high bulk, but a lot of them are not high enough to be prevent being killed in one shot by nukes. Nukes in this game hit really, really hard. Blade mages can easily shred most armor units. While Regal Rabbits Palla can counter armor units, Caeda and Clair can also do that and double as Galeforce units and are easier to merge too.

Edited by XRay

58 minutes ago, Hilda said:

This is a contradiction to itself, considering you appearantly seem to struggle with AR

I do, but I struggle a bit less when I can use Bunny Palla.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

Giving up your B slot just to disable traps is not worth it, and most players do not need to disable Traps. Player Phase players want to trigger Bolt Traps to get into HP range for their skills, so disabling Bolt Traps is extremely counter productive for those teams. Heavy Traps are a hassle, but they are not a big deal in most cases since the movement debuff can be easily Danced/Sung off with 2 Dancers/Singers. For Enemy Phase teams, stepping on a Heavy Trap does really do anything, and Bolt Traps are pretty easy to avoid.

Unless the defense team really knows what they are doing, armors are generally pretty crap. Armors may have high bulk, but a lot of them are not high enough to be prevent being killed in one shot by nukes. Nukes in this game hit really, really hard. Blade mages can easily shred most armor units. While Regal Rabbits Palla can counter armor units, Caeda and Clair can also do that and double as Galeforce units and are easier to merge too.

Strange, disabling traps was the biggest help I ever got in AR. I often struggle because of traps or running out of turns. Having someone to disable traps solves the former issue for me. And I also struggled against Surtr until I got Palla.

Funny how Leif does not want to activate his special. Nice to see the three charge, since after his firt attack, he will be at 1 charge(if not being countered) and still have his movement.

leif wants to attack units with guard or special fighter, since activating his special hurts him, whereas not activating is just gives him Galeforce.

I expect to see him in his bonus weeks in AR, and on AR defense teams that carry dance and restore+/harsh command+.

on offense he is useless after his first initiation since he won’t be able to get out unless he is carrying ER. 

Thematically great btw, good use of implementing the fatigue mechanic.

Edited by Vicious Sal

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I do, but I struggle a bit less when I can use Bunny Palla.

Strange, disabling traps was the biggest help I ever got in AR. I often struggle because of traps or running out of turns. Having someone to disable traps solves the former issue for me. And I also struggled against Surtr until I got Palla.

Instead of seeing Traps as a detriment, players need to learn how to utilize and play around them.

Player Phase teams honestly would not be nearly as effective if it were not for Bolt Traps.

5 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

Funny how Leif does not want to activate his special. Nice to see the three charge, since after his firt attack, he will be at 1 charge(if not being countered) and still have his movement.

leif wants to attack units with guard or special fighter, since activating his special hurts him, whereas not activating is just gives him Galeforce.

I expect to see him in his bonus weeks in AR, and on AR defense teams that carry dance and restore+/harsh command+.

on offense he is useless after his first initiation since he won’t be able to get out unless he is carrying ER. 

With S Drink, he will have Njörun's Zeal fully charged after his first round of combat, so he can retreat closer to the Dancer/Singer before Dance/Sing-Reposition away.

7 minutes ago, XRay said:

Instead of seeing Traps as a detriment, players need to learn how to utilize and play around them.

Player Phase teams honestly would not be nearly as effective if it were not for Bolt Traps.

With S Drink, he will have Njörun's Zeal fully charged after his first round of combat, so he can retreat closer to the Dancer/Singer before Dance/Sing-Reposition away.

The wording seemed to imply that he activates his Galeforce regardless of activating his special. And the special activation would be his movement impairing. 

But that will probably not be the case. Anyway, I don’t think he will be a great Offense unit. And defense he might see some use on a cav line, but the movement restriction is pretty harsh.

13 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah, I don't know how to play around them. It's easier for me to just disable them. xP

10 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

The wording seemed to imply that he activates his Galeforce regardless of activating his special. And the special activation would be his movement impairing. 

But that will probably not be the case. Anyway, I don’t think he will be a great Offense unit. And defense he might see some use on a cav line, but the movement restriction is pretty harsh.

Hm... Now that I read it again, that does seem like the implication, so S Drink should be replaced. The Galeforce part is before the Special activation part, so maybe the Galeforce is not part of the Special activation. If Njörun's Zeal's Galeforce is always active, then that is super broken. Either way, I do not think the movement impairment is a huge deal since Dance/Sing-Reposition fixes that movement penalty anyways. Attack twice and Dance/Sing Reposition back with a ranged unit is pretty insane.

@Ice Dragon, does the Japanese text also imply that Galeforce is always active?

Edited by XRay

AW SHIT BEST LORD IS HERE

He's here as a colourless bow cav (So close to finally being Red) with Water pairup. He's got Meisterbogen (Meisterswert but also kills fliers foes can't follow up when he initiates while the player uses him), Njorun's Zeal (Galeforce, but can only move one space after it triggers), Atk/Res Push (So he'll have Res I see, it's also like Atk/Spd Push), S Drink (Wamp Wamp) and Def Smoke, so he could be better but I assume he'll have massive attack. They also paired him with Nanna, cute.

As for who he's with, Red has Kinyoma, Panny and VA!Ike (I would take any of thee now that I think about it, even if two are for merging), Blue has Bowcina, L!Azura and Bunnisa (Have none, only would rather not see Marisa and the other two are new legendaries if I can get them), Green has L!Hector, Ranulf and Piclicia (I'll more than gladly take all three, Hector's nature sucked before, Piclicia's Special fighter would be nice for some others and Ranulf is best cat) and Colourless has L!Alm and Fane!Tiki (Merges for both are going to be very nice, Alm needs it in particular). Not gonna lie, I was expecting this to be a wash on the non-legendary units too, but Anyways Colourless > Green > Blue > Red, but it's pretty close this time.

Edit: Nintendo apparently do videos for the legendaries, looked at Leif's. It seems to suggest Njorun's Zeal only activates when triggered

Edited by Dayni

@Vicious Sal and @XRay, the Galeforce part of Njorun's Zeal is the exact same as, well, Galeforce's description: "If unit initiates combat, grants unit another action after combat. (Once per turn.)" Galeforce is triggered after combat when it's charged and if the unit fulfills its requirements of initiating combat. The second part of Njorun's Zeal: "When Special triggers, inflicts 'restricts movement to 1 space' on unit and Pair Up cohort through their next action", would imply that after Galeforce triggers, after the Special triggers, legendary Leif's movement is restricted to 1 movement. Otherwise, what Special would there be to trigger?

There is no Special in the game that triggers without being charged. The closest things are the Miracle effects of Hel's Scythe and refined Tyrfing and those come with a catch; Hel's Scythe does not work on magic and staffs while refined Tyrfing works when Seliph's HP is >= 50%. There's also Astra Blade and Luna Arc, but we don't have Specials that deal damage, instead, they boost damage.

Edited by Kaden

2 minutes ago, Kaden said:

@Vicious Sal and @XRay, the Galeforce part of Njorun's Zeal is the exact same as, well, Galeforce's description: "If unit initiates combat, grants unit another action after combat. (Once per turn.)" Galeforce is triggered after combat when it's charged and if the unit fulfills its requirements of initiating combat. The second part of Njorun's Zeal: "When Special triggers, inflicts 'restricts movement to 1 space' on unit and Pair Up cohort through their next action", would imply that after Galeforce triggers, after the Special triggers, legendary Leif's movement is restricted to 1 movement. Otherwise, what Special would there be to trigger?

Ah, okay. Good to know. Always active Galeforce would be pretty bonkers.

We thought for a moment that the movement slowing is the Special triggering, so it is a Special that you do not want to trigger.

So, colorless is a must then is Blue and that's it for me. I need Alm and Tiki merges, also the new Leif is interesting but I am not so sure. Blue is pretty good with Lucina and Azura and Marisa is bad but flier formation could help Camila activate book of dreams easily. 

Now Leif, his bow is very good, but I am not sure about his special, what's the point of having another action if you can't move to kill someone else, or escape a tricky situation? What's the point of this limited Galeforce effect if you can just dance him and be more efficient? 

4 hours ago, Jave said:

Colorless looks pretty good so I'll probably used my saved orbs for that.

Also @mampfoid might want to check out Legendary Leif, his special is pretty much a buffed Galeforce.

Thanks for the tag! I'm a bit low on orbs currently and I hoped for Bride Fjorm to be on this banner, but I'll definitely try for Leif! 

His OG Version is haunting me (4 copies without ever having pulled for him actively), so he should come easily ... haha. 

His skills are looking good, too bad he is so slow. 

49 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

Now Leif, his bow is very good, but I am not sure about his special, what's the point of having another action if you can't move to kill someone else, or escape a tricky situation? What's the point of this limited Galeforce effect if you can just dance him and be more efficient? 

Moonbow-Heavy Blade is not as consistent as just Sturdy Blow since you cannot Guard against Sturdy Blow, so that frees up your Special for Njörun's Zeal. A limited movement Galeforce is still very powerful; being able to retreat even one space back makes Dance/Sing-Reposition even more effective and safer. And oftentimes, you just need to move 1 space to kill a second unit nearby.

You basically eliminate the back line enemy first, then eliminate the front line, and then Dance/Sing-Reposition to get out of the way of other enemies.

Or you can just eliminate the front line, move one space back, and then Dance/Sing-Reposition back, so you have even more distance between your units and enemies.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Ah, okay. Good to know. Always active Galeforce would be pretty bonkers.

We thought for a moment that the movement slowing is the Special triggering, so it is a Special that you do not want to trigger.

No other Special skill has the primary effect specify that it occurs only "when Special triggers". That part is always implied.

The secondary effect didn't actually need to specify it, either, for that matter.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The secondary effect didn't actually need to specify it, either, for that matter.

Yeah, that part confused me. Specifying the Special activation of the movement penalty made me thought that the Galeforce activation did not need the Special activation.

Looks sweet. I'm missing all three colorless units, so I'll pull it until I finally have a Pair Up legendary.

I'd like Palla, but there's not enough I want in red right now. I'll wait for her spring rerun.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Moonbow-Heavy Blade is not as consistent as just Sturdy Blow since you cannot Guard against Sturdy Blow, so that frees up your Special for Njörun's Zeal. A limited movement Galeforce is still very powerful; being able to retreat even one space back makes Dance/Sing-Reposition even more effective and safer. And oftentimes, you just need to move 1 space to kill a second unit nearby.

You basically eliminate the back line enemy first, then eliminate the front line, and then Dance/Sing-Reposition to get out of the way of other enemies.

Or you can just eliminate the front line, move one space back, and then Dance/Sing-Reposition back, so you have even more distance between your units and enemies.

Yeah you have a point here, you could also use movement oriented B slots like Hit and Run and similar ones or wing of mercy and Escape route, if Berkut is on the team, in AR with bolt traps/towers or when Lif releases, Leif's Hp can below 50% with all these methods. 

Also Time's pulse will be really good on him to help him activate his special (when at 3 it becomes 2 and when not 3 it will activate anyway).

I just wonder why he doesn't have Close Counter, he is one it's best users and when considering it's only on a seasonal that will appear again next year and on a year one unit that appears once in the weekly banners he could have it to make it more accessible. My Kronya and my blade mages could use it (the free CC went to Picnic Flora to make her mixed phase). 

I don't know if I even can pull him. I'll try to pull him, but my RNG has been trash lately. I really like the artwork as well. Props to the artist. I think I only have four legendries total and that's including Fjorm and Ike who you get for free.

8 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, that could happen too. In that case, my fingers are crossed for Claude. Red bow wyvern plz IS!

yeah. no. I say this as someone who has no issues with Coloured Bows,  they better not make Claude a coloured bow. that would be such a waste of potential. 

Dude, really? It's rude to troll like that. Plenty here know I'm a Micaiah hater.

it's not a troll. she's going to be one. so like. hate her or not, if it's something that will help you in a game mode, ideally you like what she brings (or at least have good fodder). 

Why do people keep ignoring/forgetting Elincia? Sorry, but this just bugs me... People can't say she's not a candidate when we got legendary Ryoma, Azura, Tiki, and Julia. Micaiah's not the only choice left for a Tellius legendary.

I love Elincia (mostly because of Heroes, to be fair). I truly do, but i mean she's not Celica who drives 1/2 the story. She's not Azura who is basically one of the driving pieces of Fates. She's not ryoma who is a good chunk more available and playable (and had a more compelling story depending on the route) Tiki's a daughter of the most powerful God in the franchise..

Elincia basically goes "My Lord Ike." for 80% of PoR, and as far as I heard (as i am still on chapter 5 of RD i keep getting distracted) only shows up for a tiny part of RD. 

I'd be happy if they made her a legendary but truthfully, i think it might just behoove her if they gave her a healer alt in the perm pool. 

well.legendary is where you really want the most useful stuff. 
her dagger has the eff, but it's useless unless you run another coloured dagger. 
disarm trap is extremely useless because you really would want to be running a better B skill anyway. 

so unless you really like Palla (I do and I wouldn't mind her but not gonna bother) - no she's not very useful. Caeda/Clair can do her job much much better and can bait them too with the proper support. yah the range is good but then BowHinoka can do it as a bow, and you can just throw on smokes on her to replicate the dagger effect. 

1 hour ago, daisy jane said:

it's not a troll. she's going to be one.

Even though you’re likely to be right in this case, 100% guaranteeing something you have little to no control over is never a good idea. See: Philadelphia Eagles head coach Doug Pederson who guaranteed that his team would beat the Dallas Cowboys about a week ago....only for the Eagles to lose that game 37-10.

That, and there was literally no reason for Diovani to say that other than to deliberately rile Ana up, and unprovoked I might add.

it's not a troll. she's going to be one. so like. hate her or not, if it's something that will help you in a game mode, ideally you like what she brings (or at least have good fodder). 

When he said "I hope you like her" that came off to me as making fun of my dislike for her. Because no matter what, I won't like her.

I love Elincia (mostly because of Heroes, to be fair). I truly do, but i mean she's not Celica who drives 1/2 the story. She's not Azura who is basically one of the driving pieces of Fates. She's not ryoma who is a good chunk more available and playable (and had a more compelling story depending on the route) Tiki's a daughter of the most powerful God in the franchise..

Elincia basically goes "My Lord Ike." for 80% of PoR, and as far as I heard (as i am still on chapter 5 of RD i keep getting distracted) only shows up for a tiny part of RD. 

I'd be happy if they made her a legendary but truthfully, i think it might just behoove her if they gave her a healer alt in the perm pool.

Dude, Elincia is the driver of the plot in PoR with a lot of story presence. She's the main character of part 2 in RD, and although it is the smallest of the four parts, I'd hardly call it tiny. And she's implied to have become a legendary level queen. In terms of relevance, she's entirely on the level of those characters that you listed. She's often considered a lord, actually, even though I wouldn't really call her one, just more of a pseudo-lord like Ryoma and Azura. Also, IS thought her important enough to give her DLC art in Awakening along with a bunch of other lords. And since a lot of those lords are now legendaries, why shouldn't she be as well?

Edited by Anacybele