Anyone else still watch cartoons as an adult? Which ones do you or did you like?

Anacybele

No, I don't mean the adult ones like the Simpsons, I'm talking about the others, the ones more aimed at kids.

I still do. I just never grew out of them. In fact, there are several things l love as a kid that I still love now. Coloring books, cartoons, Disney stuff (though I think Disney's for everyone, not just kids), even some of the clothes I buy from the kids section because I'm small and don't fit adult ones well. xP Not to say that there isn't anything I have grown out of though. That's toys, mostly. Even then though, I'll buy one on occasion. Not long ago I got a Princess Tiana doll, primarily because merch for The Princess and the Frog isn't easy to come by and Tiana is my favorite Disney princess. The movie is also one of my favorites now. Oh yeah, I definitely don't go to playgrounds or such anymore either lol (...well, there is kind of one exception, and that's the baobab tree slide at the Pittsburgh Zoo. I don't think I've ever gone to the zoo without using the slide, and so it's kind of a tradition for me and the slide earned a place in my heart from that). Though truth be told, I never bothered a lot with playgrounds even as a kid since I mostly kept to myself and didn't want to play with other kids. Playgrounds to me were rather boring if you were by yourself.

So yeah, I didn't actually grow out of a whole lot of stuff growing up, just a few things. I don't often tell people this, though. I feel like others would think I'm weird for it, even if adult coloring books are a thing now. This won't stop me from still enjoying that stuff, but yeah. I feel like there are three main reasons I didn't grow out of these things like others normally would have though.

1. I'm very passionate and dedicated to what I love, and I was no different here as a kid. While my brothers eventually grew out of stuff like Pokemon, cartoons, and all that, I never did. I still love them just as much as I did back then. When I love something, I just don't really ever find the heart or reason to give up on it.

2. Things like cartoons, kids clothing, and other things like that draw me to them more than the adult counterparts because of how colorful they are too. Animation is obviously a lot more colorful than any live action show or movie. Kids clothes get all sorts of bright colors and designs. I'm a lover of color and consider myself a rainbow hunter. That is to say, whenever I see some rain and sun, I rush outside to find a rainbow and sometimes take a picture.

3. Lastly, being autistic is probably a factor too. Obviously not all autistic people will be like this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't uncommon for them to like cartoons or kids clothes or toys or other kids' stuff.

So yeah, that's basically why I still watch cartoons and enjoy many of the same ones I did as a kid, plus more that came out more recently. As a kid, I mainly watched Cartoon Network and Boomerang, with a little of some other stuff too. My favorite cartoon of all time and to this day is Scooby Doo. He was the biggest thing in my childhood besides Nintendo and Disney (I don't know why I never watched much Disney Channel though). I had a Scooby Doo lunchbox at some point. In fact, a lot of the cartoons I loved were from before the 90s while a few others are from the 90s. Scooby Doo is from 1969 and turned 50 this year. Most modern cartoons I don't care for as much. They're just...so weird now, for the most part.

From Cartoon Network I love: The Powerpuff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Johnny Bravo, Johnny Test, Freakazoid, Teen Titans, Codename: Kids Next Door, Time Squad

From Boomerang: Looney Tunes, Duck Dodgers, both Dick Dastardly shows (Dick Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines and Wacky Races), Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry (both were also on Cartoon Network at some point though, if memory serves), Captain Planet, Inspector Gadget (I think this one was there. Boomerang specialized in old classic cartoons and Inspector Gadget is definitely in that category. I don't remember ever seeing it anywhere else either)

From Disney Channel: Proud Family, Ducktales, Kim Possible, and most recently, Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir (this show originally was picked up by Nickelodeon, but being the stupid idiots they are that only really seem to care about Spongebob these days, they dropped it quickly and now Disney airs it. It's a very popular show. So you snooze, you lose, Nick. You're not worthy of the gloriousness that is Cat Noir anyway)

From Nickelodeon (I basically dislike anything not listed here because Nickelodeon was mostly dumb and weird to me): Danny Phantom, T.U.F.F. Puppy, Spongebob Squarepants, Catdog, Rocko's Modern Life

From other channels that I don't really see much or shows whose channels I don't know because I saw them on Netflix or Hulu or something: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, The Deep (a recent show that came out in 2017 and I stumbled upon by chance on TV. I forget what channel it was on though). Justice League (both regular and Unlimited), Iron Man: Armored Adventures, 60s Spiderman, 90s Spiderman, Ultimate Spiderman, Inspector Gadget reboot (it's actually a GOOD reboot omg!)

So yeah, like I said, CN and Boomerang were my jam. Sadly, Boomerang doesn't exist anymore, I believe. 😞

Edited by Anacybele

I'm going to assume we're not including anime? 

Even then, I've recently watched She-ra and the dragon prince on Netflix. Also recently rewatched Avatar. 

I might pick MLP back up now that it has ended and watch the rest and see if the big hype was worth it (I only watched the first three seasons).

TV and I have always had a weird relationship, in that I only ever watched a few shows for a couple episodes before getting bored of them. When I'm at my grandmother's, there's generally not much to do, so I occasionally watch some cartoons like The Amazing World of Gumball, and... actually that's about it. 

Come to think of it, the one show I've watched from beginning to end is Gravity Falls, and that was only two seasons. But I can't even say I still watch that, because it got a little boring watching the same episodes over and over. Though it has been a while, so maybe I should try watching some of it again.

Other cartoons that I remember from my childhood include: Angelo Rules, which I think was on Cartoon Network, and Chowder, also on CN. Chowder has the best theme song ever and I will fight you on that.

I am a huge Steven Universe fan, and loved Gravity Falls while it was running.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

So yeah, I didn't actually grow out of a whole lot of stuff growing up, just a few things. I don't often tell people this, though. I feel like others would think I'm weird for it, even if adult coloring books are a thing now. This won't stop me from still enjoying that stuff, but yeah.

seeing this makes me wanted to bring up one of my favorite quotes from C.S. Lewis

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C S Lewis

I don't mean for this to come across as judgmental, just to emphasis how normal liking things from your childhood is as an adult, and that you have no reason to feel weird about it. Love what you love, and do so with pride.

i generally don't watch western cartoons anymore

well, not even eastern ones honestly, but whatever

in the last few years i've been much more into animated movies, but generally, those few cartoons i sometimes watch, i always purchase their DVDs/Blu-Ray-s whenever possible, because i want to support those studios who do the effort and bring me foreing products in my native language

i understand native english speakers who take this for granted, but i assure you it isn't the same in italy

btw, there's no particular genre i like better than others

Edited by Yexin

I'm more likely to watch animation/cartoons than live-action stuff. I don't watch a whole lot nowadays, but I am keeping up with She-Ra and Carmen Sandiego on Netflix and am considering jumping back into My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic now that it's done (iirc I dropped off after season 4). Still praying for a final season of Teen Titans. Excited for Frozen 2, though I don't see many movies at all these days.

While I would not go seek out to watch kids' shows anymore, I would not mind watching it if I am bored and have nothing else to do.

PBS: Sesame Street, Arthur, Dinosaur Train, Wild Kratts, Bill Nye the Science Guy, The Magic School Bus, Dragon Tales, Clifford the Big Red Dog, The Cat in the Hat

Nickelodeon: Avatar, The Legend of Korra, Danny Phantom, Fairly Oddparents

Cartoon Network: Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ben 10, Codename: Kids' Next Door,

WB: Captain Planet, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Teen Titans, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon

Fox Kids: Digimon, Big Bad Beetleborgs, Power Rangers, Godzilla, Beast Wars

Others: He-Man and She-Ra, any DC/Marvel cartoons, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Class of the Titans, Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs,

Fellow autistic person here. If the show is good, I see no reason not to do so, especially since a lot of them include stuff that's meant for adults (usually the parents of the kids) to appreciate.

Some that I've re-watched in recent years include the following:

• SpongeBob SquarePants (mainly the first three seasons). This was my favourite show as a kid, and those jokes are still funny now. It's a bit harder to watch after Steven Hillenburg's passing, but I try to consider that just another reason to re-watch it: to appreciate what he did for an entire generation of kids. 
  • Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. This show, to me, was the last of the good superhero cartoons (though mainly season 1; season 2's writing really went downhill for some reason). 
  • Avatar: the Last Airbender. I'm sad to admit that I never actually watched this show as a kid. I saw it for the first time about five years ago. But it's probably a good thing that I didn't, as I might not have been able to appreciate it as much back then. This show is extremely well-written (aside from one very easily skippable filler episode that even the show's writers poked fun at in season 3).
3 hours ago, XRay said:

Nickelodeon: Avatar, The Legend of Korra, Danny Phantom, Fairly Oddparents

Funny; I liked The Legend of Korra when I saw it for the first time after watching ATLA. But, after watching it again, I began noticing things that I didn't on my first time watching that made me begin to dislike the show a bit. Now, I really can't re-watch it, as I don't really consider it good anymore. 

As for those other two shows, I was never a fan; not even as a kid. They weren't my cup of tea (is that the right expression?)

Edited by vanguard333

I do watch cartoons, but I tend to watch cartoons aimed at adults (American Dad, Archer, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Bojack Horseman, Rick and Morty, Young Justice), occasionally I will watch a disney movie or an episode or so of a spinoff of one of my favorite movies (The Emperor's New Groove, Tangled, etc.). I have nothing but fond memories of cartoons aimed at children, but as I've aged my tastes have evolved in a sense.

7 hours ago, Strullemia said:

I'm going to assume we're not including anime? 

I thought about that, but from what I've seen, a lot of anime is more for adults. But if any are aimed at kids besides Pokemon and all, then of course they can be included.

6 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I am a huge Steven Universe fan, and loved Gravity Falls while it was running.

seeing this makes me wanted to bring up one of my favorite quotes from C.S. Lewis

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C S Lewis

I don't mean for this to come across as judgmental, just to emphasis how normal liking things from your childhood is as an adult, and that you have no reason to feel weird about it. Love what you love, and do so with pride.

That is a really good quote. I've always wanted to believe similar to what's being said here too. Thanks for this!

I don't have streaming services right now and I have never had cable, so there are no cartoons that I can watch regularly on TV.  Cartoons I really remember and would be willing to watch again are: Recess (I think I loved this one because I was home schooled so it was fresh), Digimon (only the first 3 seasons though), Doug, Cyberchase, Liberty's Kids, Transformers Beast wars and Bravestarr.

As to movies: Mulan and Beauty and the Beast.  I am probably the only person in the universe that dislikes Frozen, I am a little sister who has to go through a lot to get my big sister to even talk to me and watching Frozen just makes me want to cry since it is like watching a painful part of my life on the screen.

I love anime, so most of the "cartoons" I watch are those.

The DC Animated Universe is one of the only reasons why I still watch TV at all. I grew up watching Justice League with my dad, who's super into comics, and that show was what made me fall in love with comics in general. I still go back to watch it all the time, and I equally enjoy other DCAU shows like Batman Beyond and Young Justice. 

These shows have great action, great characters and really utilize continuity well to tell stories over multiple shows. Watching them for me is no different than reading comics. It's just another part of the multiverse. 

As for the whole thing about cartoons being for kids, I don't really care for the argument. These shows treat their characters and stories with respect and maturity. They tackle so many issues that kids might not fully comprehend as well, whether it be cloning, fascism, racism..... hell, the biggest story in the entire DCAU is all about the league having to figure out whether or not it's right to put their authority over the government's. For those of you who don't really know comics it's comparable to the MCU's Civil War in terms of theming.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I thought about that, but from what I've seen, a lot of anime is more for adults. But if any are aimed at kids besides Pokemon and all, then of course they can be included.

Not necessarily true. It depends on what kind of anime we’re talking anyway. Stuff like Naruto, MHA, one piece, etc. which are labeled “shounen”(literally young boy) are as the name implies aimed at young boys typically of ages 8-16. Which is pretty surprising considering some of the darker themes those shows cover at times. Hell death note can be considered shounen by the magazine in which it was published(that being shounen jump). Shoujo(lit: young girl) is the same way just this time it’s aimed more so towards young girls as the name would imply. So it’s just good to be specific cause “anime aimed at kids” can encompass things from pokemon to death note.

Anyway to be a little more on topic. As someone somewhat on the spectrum myself, Animation is probably my favorite artistic medium that exists simply because of how limitless it is and I absolutely hate it that’s not taken as seriously as it should be as an artistic medium over here in the west. So yeah I still watch cartoons or really any form of animated content. I don’t keep up with most western cartoons nowadays but I will occasionally go back and rewatch old digimon seasons and the like especially tamers. Oh I love that season so much.

Just now, Ottservia said:

Not necessarily true. It depends on what kind of anime we’re talking anyway. Stuff like Naruto, MHA, one piece, etc. which are labeled “shounen”(literally young boy) are as the name implies aimed at young boys typically of ages 8-16. Which is pretty surprising considering some of the darker themes those shows cover at times. Hell death note can be considered shounen by the magazine in which it was published(that being shounen jump). Shoujo(lit: young girl) is the same way just this time it’s aimed more so towards young girls as the name would imply. So it’s just good to be specific cause “anime aimed at kids” can encompass things from pokemon to death note.

Anyway to be a little more on topic. As someone somewhat on the spectrum myself, Animation is probably my favorite artistic medium that exists simply because of how limitless it is and I absolutely hate it that’s not taken as seriously as it should be as an artistic medium over here in the west. So yeah I still watch cartoons or really any form of animated content. I don’t keep up with most western cartoons nowadays but I will occasionally go back and rewatch old digimon seasons and the like especially tamers. Oh I love that season so much.

Really? Because I've seen some of those animes and I would've never considered them to be for kids. o.O But I see.

I agree, I wish animation would be taken more seriously here too. It's sad that it isn't.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Really? Because I've seen some of those animes and I would've never considered them to be for kids. o.O But I see.

I agree, I wish animation would be taken more seriously here too. It's sad that it isn't.

Anime and manga has very specific ratings and categories.  Most of the stuff I like in terms of Manga is called Josei and is aimed at woman in their 20s.  Shoujo and Shounen are more aimed at kids between 10 and 18.  I forget off hand what manga and anime made for kids under 10 is called.  Yes there are manga series that follow characters from a little kid to a full fledged adult.

1 minute ago, EricaofRenais said:

Anime and manga has very specific ratings and categories.  Most of the stuff I like in terms of Manga is called Josei and is aimed at woman in their 20s.  Shoujo and Shounen are more aimed at kids between 10 and 18.  I forget off hand what manga and anime made for kids under 10 is called.  Yes there are manga series that follow characters from a little kid to a full fledged adult.

I see, that makes sense then.

2 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Hell death note can be considered shounen by the magazine in which it was published(that being shounen jump).

not the place to start this discussion, but some shounen comics are much worse than death note, violence-wise

fist of the north star and devilman, to name a few

I don't mind, I'll watch them if they're good, though I usually watch animated movies. Like recently I watched Spiderman Into The Spiderverse, and I have to say that its probably one of my favorite movies of all time.

If I do, I usually keep it to my self.

Oh yeah, there's a great many cartoons I still watch and will ALWAYS watch. I'm never "growing out of them."

2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Looney Tunes, Courage the Cowardly Dog, SWAT Kats, Darkwing Duck, the first 3 to 5 seasons of Spongebob + the first movie, a bunch of Disney movies like Zootopia, The Lion King, Aladdin, and more. Never will I not watch them.

Films definitely.  Toy story 4, all the disney remakes (lion king, aladdin, etc.).   Really any good animated film even if for kids.  As far as TV, Duck tales the new one.  Really really good stuff.

I've been watching RWBY, just finished Season 2, and started watching a bit of Season 3, and also watched almost every single episode of RWBY Chibi. So far, I really like how the series in general took influence from both American cartoon/comics and Japanese anime/manga. I especially like how the story respects both individualism (generally considered as a western and esp US virtue) and teamwork (an Eastern, and especially Japanese virtue) - and how the right kind of both brings the best in each other. Anyway, I found out about the series through watching a few release data of Blazblue by vitrue, in turn, of its association with both the above and Persona 3-4.

Edited by henrymidfields

On 10/28/2019 at 3:30 PM, Yexin said:

not the place to start this discussion, but some shounen comics are much worse than death note, violence-wise

fist of the north star and devilman, to name a few

Oh that is very true. Oh 80’s anime how dark you were. I only used death note as an example because of how well known it is

I have reached new lows; last time I was sick, I watched sonic boom and Pac-man for three hours. There was nothing else on, okay?!?