How Hard is This Game on Normal Mode?

Holla99

I keep hearing that Binding Blade is one of the harder Fire Emblem games. As a fairly new player to the series I want to be prepared if this is the case. I started with Awakening and have played each game since. I've also gone back and played Shadow Dragon and New Mystery. I am also currently playing through Eliwood mode in Blazing Sword. I also always play on normal/classic.

Should I be ok to play Binding Blade? If so any tips? I won't be playing it until after I finish Blazing Sword first.

Relatively speaking, it's harder than the other two GBA games, though some of that has to do with questionable design choices, like the fact that a lot of weapons have terrible accuracy (like literally every axe in the game, for example). Same turn reinforcements don't help matters. Nor does it that most gaiden chapters, which are mandatory to get the true ending, have really awful gimmicks.

Don't go to Sacae and you'll probably be fine; normal mode really isn't that hard. You can't approach the game quite the same way as the other two GBA games given that it's more player phase heavy. If you don't want to go in blind you should look up the requirements for the extra chapters. https://www.fireemblemwod.com/fe6/guiafe6/ENG_capitulo1fe6.htm is a really good resource too besides serenesforest.

It's not that hard. If I may say it, most of the difficulty is about RNG-trouble (missing, to be more specific) and stuff like reinforcements or bad placing (leaving someone frail in range of a wyvern, for example). However, like you should have noticed, most of those troubles can be patched by..well, strategy.

Binding on Normal is much harder than Blazing on Normal, and a lot of other games on Normal. The game has some rough design spots and mean chapters that make it frustrating at times regardless of the difficulty setting. And, the game likes it siege tomes and status staffs later on (but I've only played Sacae), which can be annoying.

16 hours ago, eclipse said:

It'll be harder than Eliwood Normal, but it shouldn't be too bad (except Chapter 16x and Sacae).  Throne bonuses give a lot more defensive stats.

Thanks. I plan on giving Hector mode a shot too as I've heard it's a bit harder than Eliwood mode. After that is when I'll consider giving Binding Blade a shot.

Edited by Holla99

3 hours ago, Holla99 said:

Thanks. I plan on giving Hector mode a shot too as I've heard it's a bit harder than Eliwood mode. After that is when I'll consider giving Binding Blade a shot.

Perfect.  I think Binding Blade Normal is a bit harder than Hector Normal, but it shouldn't be overwhelmingly so.

The game is quite challenging on Normal mode for the first time, but I still think it's fair. The game gives you enough tools to deal with, but it also gives you a few times where you can shoot yourself in the foot, but overall it's not terrible. You either like it or hate it, I personally love it. Only game that had a more difficult Normal mode was Thracia, but the difficulty on that one, that's another story.