Is Darting Blow 4 any good?

Jotari

So in my attempt to get a shiny new Leif I've some manahed to draw four Alms (and three Tikis). I'm leaning towards merging them now, as the only thing he has for inheritance fodder is Darting Blow 4, but I suppose I should give it a chance. Who do you use this skill on? To be honest I find it kind of underwhelming. +9 speed sounds good, but I feel as if any of my units that are going to double will be able to do so with or without this skill, and the few that do want it already have stuff like Distant Counter or Brazen Attack Speed which seem more necessary. Only contenders I really have are Naesala, whom I don't use all that much, and Brave Bow Mounted Lyn. It'd probably guarantee her always hit four times, but I'd need to give up life and death and without the attack boost her four times hitting probably won't deal much damage. Who, if anyone, do you use  Darting Blow 4 on?

Honestly, if you're going to fodder Brave Alm then you're better off just grabbing his Null skill instead.

In the off-chance that you're going to fodder both Null and Darting Blow 4 together by giving that unit Darting Blow 3 first, then whoever is fast with enough attack who wants to avoid eating counter skills like QR or breakers..

I think this goes under the question thread, but I do not think Darting Blow is that great. As @Sunwoo said, I would prioritize Null Follow-Up and give Darting Blow as a bonus side option which most likely would not be used very often. You can use it on a Firesweep nuke for chipping in Arena, and probably not with Null Follow-Up since you want Poison Strike, and that is about it I think.

50 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Honestly, if you're going to fodder Brave Alm then you're better off just grabbing his Null skill instead.

In the off-chance that you're going to fodder both Null and Darting Blow 4 together by giving that unit Darting Blow 3 first, then whoever is fast with enough attack who wants to avoid eating counter skills like QR or breakers..

32 minutes ago, XRay said:

I think this goes under the question thread, but I do not think Darting Blow is that great. As @Sunwoo said, I would prioritize Null Follow-Up and give Darting Blow as a bonus side option which most likely would not be used very often. You can use it on a Firesweep nuke for chipping in Arena, and probably not with Null Follow-Up since you want Poison Strike, and that is about it I think.

Hmm. Null Follow Up. My eyes were distracted by the shiny 4 number. Pity they didn't just throw the null affect onto Darting Blow. Although it likely wouldn't have defensive application then. Still, would synergize with Alm.

EDIT: Oh wow. I just noticed all four of my new Alms are +SPD. -_- Could have given me at least one different one for variation.

Edit edit: Oh, Lina flash works like Regnal Astra. SPD isn't that bad then, though I think I'd rather attack.

Edited by Jotari

@Jotari DB4 is mediocre for largely the same reason as Darting Blow 3 i feel. e.g. Speed tend to be a binary situation, and its hevailly outdone by Death Blow, Swift Sparrow, and arguably LND as a result. Or Fury

It allows you to get WTF SPEED but few units truly benefits from that. LAlm made it work through having sheer power on his weapon. Even Ayra didn't exactly work since Fury 3 does the exact same thing once you can double

13 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

@Jotari DB4 is mediocre for largely the same reason as Darting Blow 3 i feel. e.g. Speed tend to be a binary situation, and its hevailly outdone by Death Blow, Swift Sparrow, and arguably LND as a result. Or Fury

It allows you to get WTF SPEED but few units truly benefits from that. LAlm made it work through having sheer power on his weapon. Even Ayra didn't exactly work since Fury 3 does the exact same thing once you can double

Yeah, that's the way I view it. Same it didnt have an additional effect like the level 4 Stances.

1 hour ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

DB4 is mediocre for largely the same reason as Darting Blow 3 i feel.

Death Blow is not for regular Desperation nukes though. Death Blow is very valuable because slow Brave units exist, as all they care about is their Atk stat.

39 minutes ago, XRay said:

Death Blow is not for regular Desperation nukes though. Death Blow is very valuable because slow Brave units exist, as all they care about is their Atk stat.

I was talking about Darting Blow 4 but i know this is coming

You have gotten Yomi'd

.....i forgot to edit that ok

4 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

I was talking about Darting Blow 4 but i know this is coming

You have gotten Yomi'd

.....i forgot to edit that ok

Woops. Brain fart on my end too. I should have connected DB to Darting Blow.

9 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

So, ignoring Darting Blow for a second, who would be the best user for his Null Skill? I'm guessing some kind of anti armour unit. Maybe Idoun? Although I like running Weary Fighter on her since she's so bulky.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

So, ignoring Darting Blow for a second, who would be the best user for his Null Skill? I'm guessing some kind of anti armour unit. Maybe Idoun? Although I like running Weary Fighter on her since she's so bulky.

Null skills are exclusive to infantry. It's most commonly used on fast units with decent bulk (preferably with an armor-effective weapon, but not always) or units with built-in Desperation-like or Firesweep-like effects on their weapons.

Unless you really need Null Follow-Up (big users of this are Kagero, Hana, and speedy tank infantry) and couldn't pull Hilda, Adrift MCorrin, or Fallen Mareeta, Legend Alm prefers to be merged. Darting Blow 4 may seem like a neat fodder option but the cost for it (read: arguably the best archer in the game) makes it a very poor trade.

Darting Blow 4 goes perfectly with Null Follow Up (basically you have so much Speed in initiation that you will double pretty much everything regardless of enemy spd or skills), of course, that skill is infantry only.

Edited by Troykv

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

you do know you can inherit both skills on a unit, Darting Blow 4 and Null Follow up 3, assuming you use a Darting Blow 3 fodder like Florina Rebecca Tharja or Valter.

Darting Blow 4 has niche uses for now, it might become better if they release a Flashing Blade 4 seal upgrade or release a seal/skill that works similar to Neasala or so.

You want Null Follow up on a unit that is fairly fast, because it basicly turns everything into a Spd check. Idunn 1. slow 2. an Armorer so she cant inherit Null Follow up.

Aside from all the Speedy Infantries:

Null Follow up 3 can be good on Regular Roy with his Special Refine (Quick Riposte 5), it negates Mirror/Sturdy Impact which allows him to activate Quick Riposte rigardless.

Same applies to Faye

please be aware i would not recommend Null Follow up for glass canons unless you have a healer with them together that can heal them back up, otherwise Desperation is better used on Glass Canons.

The unit you give Null Follow up should be someone that can take some hits or is self sustainable, is fairly fast (not Alm level fast or so) and their primary target are units like Armorers or Dragons or units that run Quick Riposte / Fighter skills and give you a hard time.

I think I'm still learning towards merging Alm and not giving either skill to anyone. If Alm is that good then getting him to +4 should pay off. And if my luck ever goes bizzarely Alm focused in the future I might even get him to +10 someday, not something I aim for for units who are 5* exclusive.

Units that have skills that scale off of their speed stat (e.g. Sothis and her Sirius special skill) can work well with Darting Blow 4. It also works great with Ephraim's refine + windsweep build. However, it's moreso a novelty skill. Swift Sparrow 3 is a far better option if you have it, since you get +6 attack for the trade-off of 2 less speed on initiation. Life and Death and Fury are also affordable options that are tried and true.

Alm also has Null Follow Up and Odd Attack Wave, which are fantastic skills. As others have pointed it, you can inherit Darting Blow 3 from other units, and then inherit NFU and DB4 for maximum inheritance efficiency, as well. However, Alm's base kit is pretty good, too. Darting Blow 4 can always be replaced by another skill should you desire to change it.

Considering how many Alms you were able to summon, I would recommend merging. Oh, and he's a pair-up legendary hero. Can't forget that.

Ayra will do well with darting blow 4 and regnal astra. 

That 9 speed on initiation will give her 3 extra points of damage per round of combat. She also has good bulk where null follow up makes sense instead of desperation. Of course SS3 is better but if you don't have extra fodder, I think darting blow 4 is just fine on her because she's one of the few units that can improve her damage output even with excess speed. 

Remember how Bridal Cordelia was ridiculous?  Alm cranks it up further, with two points more in each offensive stat, and 11 more to general bulk.  I want to merge mine to +10, so I can turn him into a quad-attacking thing.

In other words, I'd wait until he's at +10 before considering him as fodder, unless you really don't like him or something.

Edited by eclipse

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

Remember how Bridal Cordelia was ridiculous?  Alm cranks it up further, with two points more in each offensive stat, and 11 more to general bulk.  I want to merge mine to +10, so I can turn him into a quad-attacking thing.

In other words, I'd wait until he's at +10 before considering him as fodder, unless you really don't like him or something.

I've already merged him. Though my expected calculations were wrong. He's +3, not 4, because I had 4 and you need to merge into a base. That means you need 11 units to hit the max, I've never truly realized that before now. I'll train him up tomorrow (always like to wait until a new month to binge train units so I can multi task on the Training Tower quests).

19 hours ago, Jotari said:

I've already merged him. Though my expected calculations were wrong. He's +3, not 4, because I had 4 and you need to merge into a base. That means you need 11 units to hit the max, I've never truly realized that before now. I'll train him up tomorrow (always like to wait until a new month to binge train units so I can multi task on the Training Tower quests).

Or use crystals.

Edited by Icelerate

3 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Or use crystals.

If legendaries came earlier in the month I would, but the whole point is that I'm going to be doing the training tower anyway for the feathers and orbs.