If more characters got canon reclasses

Emperor Hardin

Lets face it many characters in the Archanean games have redundant classes with far too many of classes like cavaliers and far too little of classes like Pirates. This was a result of the original developers of the game expecting everyone to ironman and people like Matthis and Tomas being spares if the player lost Abel and Gordin.

With this in mind, would you reclass anyone based on any thing on the character's personality and gameplay variety, or would you prefer it the same? We know Shadow Dragon reclassed a small selection of Bishops and Mercenaries into Sages and Myrmidons respectively, so this idea would basically be the same thing.

For everyone's reading pleasure, here are my reclass suggestions. Note classes like soldier and the weapon variants of cavalry/armor are included.

Spoiler
  1. Frey becomes an Axe Cavalier.
  2. Matthis the cavalier becomes a Soldier class unit as he doesn't seem like someone who'd currently be able to afford a horse
  3. Wolf the horseman becomes a bow cavalry that promotes to a lance using Horseman. As the leader of the wolfguard, he should exemplify most of all.
  4. Sedgar the Horseman becomes a bow using Armor. Sedgar seems the strongest of the Wolfguard and General Sedgar is a famous reclass for a reason.
  5. Roshea the cavalier becomes a Soldier. This is based on both his artwork and his tanking stat growths in FE3.
  6. Vyland becomes a Soldier as well. Unsure about this one.
  7. Roger the Armor Knight becomes an Axe Armor Knight.
  8. Midia becomes an Axe Paladin.
  9. Macellan the Armor Knight becomes a Sword Armor Knight.
  10. Samson the Hero becomes a speedy Warrior.
  11. Ymir the Warrior becomes a Berserker. Given Ymir is supposed to be very intimidating due to his size and his origins in Macedon's borderlands, I think Berserker makes more sense for him.
  12. Mystery of the Emblem Barst becomes a pirate to go with his Shadow Dragon ending.
  13. Yubello the mage becomes a Dark Mage to make him stand out a little more.
  14. Dice the Fighter becomes a Pirate. Maybe, I'm unsure given I've already added Barst and Ymir?
  15. Malice the Myrmidon gets restored to her original mercenary status.
  16. Leiden the cavalier becomes a Axe cavalry.
  17. Frost the Bishop becomes a Sorcerer.

And Caeda, Hardin, Camus/Sirius and Minerva might get unique variants of their classes.

What does everyone think, do you have canon reclassing ideas of your own to diverge the characters or do you like everyone in the class they start in?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

wolf and sedgar get knocked down a tier into a bow cavalier class because duh

matthias remain a cavalier but one geared towards becoming a great knight upon promotion

nyna becomes playable as a staff and magic focused princess class to help make her non narrative dead weight

minerva becomes a wyvern rider because also duh

roger remains a knight but geared towards becoming a great knight upon promotion

and really thats the only big ones i would hypothetically want.

I second Soldier Matthis, but with the reason being Michalis ordered his horse confiscated to spite him further. He and Lena are nobility, after all.

While he's technically the last Bishop in his game, Boah's weapon ranks scream Sage.

Palla and Catria promote to Dracoknight while Caeda and Est go Falcoknight. Do away with Whips or let them promote to the opposite branch.

So I'm planning on doing reclasses for the boss characters of Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem, however it'd also include equipment changes. Should I post it in this thread or make a new topic?

On 10/30/2019 at 4:11 AM, Von Ithipathachai said:

Arlen should've been a Dark Mage in New Mystery of the Emblem.  It would fit his character a lot more as somebody on the verge of treading Gharnef's path and looking to redeem himself once some sense gets talked into him.

Arlen has high defense(a common feature of Shamans) and a close friendship with Etzel the Sorcerer, so that would make a lot of sense. 

On 10/30/2019 at 1:02 PM, X-Naut said:

I second Soldier Matthis, but with the reason being Michalis ordered his horse confiscated to spite him further. He and Lena are nobility, after all.

While he's technically the last Bishop in his game, Boah's weapon ranks scream Sage.

Palla and Catria promote to Dracoknight while Caeda and Est go Falcoknight. Do away with Whips or let them promote to the opposite branch.

Thats exactly what I was thinking of, Matthis mentions he was sent to the front lines because Lena ran out on Michalis.

On 10/30/2019 at 6:51 PM, JimmyBeans said:

I know people might disagree but I find horseman to fit Hardin better than cav/palladin. Maybe it's just his look and where he is from that makes me think that.

That makes sense given his Aurelian origin as well as a TearRing saga unit based off of him who is a horseman. I'd prefer it if Hardin got a custom class that had traits of Horseman and Cavalier though, personally. Maybe lose the use of swords, but gain the usage of bows,  the village elder would give a Lance instead of a sword for Hardin at the end of chapter 4 in that case.

15 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

That makes sense given his Aurelian origin as well as a TearRing saga unit based off of him who is a horseman. I'd prefer it if Hardin got a custom class that had traits of Horseman and Cavalier though, personally. Maybe lose the use of swords, but gain the usage of bows,  the village elder would give a Lance instead of a sword for Hardin at the end of chapter 4 in that case.

Honestly what would be really cool is if they kept Hardin as the same cav class but instead gave him unique animations to match the style of Aurelis, a unique sprite as well, and give the same treatment to his paladin promo to maybe look more like his Cipher art which is really awesome.

Spoiler

awaolp8.jpg

Hmmm... Here's what I'd do, personally:

• Nyna and Maria would both become Troubadour/Valkyrie-line classes. In Nyna's case, it's sort of to combine her final class with her original planned one (Paladin), while for Maria it's just to make her stand out more as a unit after you've already recruited three infantry staff-users.
  • Matthis would become a Wyvern Rider to create a reason to use him as a unit, and because, as a(n unwilling) member of Macedon's military, he's really the only candidate if a tier 1 Wyvern-riding character is to be included.
  • If Cavaliers are getting split up based on weapon types Jugdral/Tellius-style, then Cain becomes a Sword Knight, Abel a Lance Knight, and Frey an Axe Knight.
  • Wolf and Sedgar are demoted to Arch Knights/Nomads/Bow Knights/the tier 1 bow cavalry class in Shadow Dragon.
  • Barst would start as a Pirate in New Mystery.
  • Gonna second the idea of Arlen being a Dark Mage since that does add some additional narrative power.
  • Yuliya and Jubelo (god I still hate that the translated names broke their naming scheme) would trade base classes, with Yuliya becoming a Mage and Jubelo becoming a Curate, to better reflect their personalities.
  • Elice would either become or uniquely promote into a Priestess, as in, the Valentian promotion for female Mages, capable of using swords, tomes, and staves.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lateness, things were busy, but hopefully the length of this post makes up for it.

So here’s my boss reclass list for Shadow Dragon, which also covers making them more threatening bosses by altering their inventory and in the case of manaketes, their weapons themselves are altered. I’ll cover New Mystery of the Emblem in a separate post.

Things to note:

1. Dragonstones are 1-2 range, so Manakete bosses can’t be abused with ranged weapons.
  2. Spears and Tomahawks are introduced into Shadow Dragon as boss exclusive weapons.
  3. A 1-2 Range Bow, called a Hand Ballista is introduced as the bow version of the spear/tomahawk. Later bosses on the harder difficulties use it to add a counter to units like Caeda/Catria.
  4. On H5 Javelins/Hand axes are forged or become Spears/Tomahawks for the late game bosses.
  5. Spears and Tomahawks are introduced into Shadow Dragon. However a 1-2 Range   
Spoiler

Prologue Boss Gra Captain: Maybe becomes a soldier, but probably stays a cavalier. I think it’d be neat if he reappeared in chapter 14 with Jiol in Gra.

Boss of Chapter 1 Gazzak: Stays a pirate, but gets a hand axe in exchange for having lower speed on the harder difficulties or alternatively his hard mode stats stay the same if the prologue is included on modes above normal.

Boss of Chapter 2 Gomer: Stays the same.

Boss of Chapter 3 Hyman: Stays the same.

Boss of Chapter 4 Bentheon: Stays a cavalier, but moves and has a generic cavalier on his seize square.

Boss of Chapter 5 Merach: Stays the same, but gains a Javelin(Forged on H5). I was thinking of making him a fighter, but decided knight fits best.

Boss of Chapter 6 Emereus: Stays a General, but gains a Javelin/Spear so he can no longer being cheesed. Also since defense is raised to 15.

Boss of Chapter 6x Bathys: Stays a pirate but gets a hand axe/Tomahawk.

Boss of Chapter 7 Harmein: Stays a General, but exchanges his Silver Axe for a Silver Bow. On the harder difficulties, his silver lance becomes a spear.

Boss of Chapter 8 Kannival: Changes extensively into a Myrmidon using his levin sword as a weapon. Has a magic stat, especially on hard. This is based on his FE3 and FE11 incarnation having a levin sword, he can’t use and his build.

Boss of Chapter 9 Mannu: Stays the same, but Dragonstone are 1-2 range as mentioned before.

Boss of Chapter 10 Zharov: Reclassed into a Hero unit with a hand axe, it differs him from Harmein and adds more diversity, showing that not all bosses can be cheesed with the Wing Spear.

Boss of Chapter 11 Khozen: Stays the same, but maybe raise his speed and change the enemies around him.

Boss of Chapter 12 Volzhin: He is a human from Dolhr, so Sorcerer fits more then Bishop I think based off the TCG and Mystery of the Emblem. In addition to the Bishop change, Volzhin gets a physic stafff on the hard modes.

Mini Boss of chapter 12 Heimler: Stays the same as Paladin is a good class for a mobile boss built for taking out weak units. Maybe more speed, but thats about it.

Boss of chapter 12x Dejanira: This might be controversial, but I’d like to see him as a Berserker, given his connection with Dolhr and to showcase the enemies you’ll later face. His dialogue would also be altered to remove the word, “skewer” and replace it with “slay you like rabbits.”

Boss of Chapter 13: Grigas: I really can’t think of anything to change, he’s great as far as I remember. Though suggestions are welcome.

Boss of chapter 14 Jiol: Class is the same. On hard difficulties Jiol introduces the concept of a enemy exclusive 1-2 range bow, the MiniBallista the Bow counterpart to the Spear/Tomahawk.

Mini Boss of Chapter 15 Generic Bishop: Yes, I’m altering a generic boss. Gharnef’s subordinate is now a sage with an Elfire in addition to a swarm tome on the hard difficulties above.

Chapter 16 Hollstadt: Stays a General. Holsltadt has a mini ballista on difficulties besides normal. On H5, his MiniBallista is forged to have 12 mt, 100 hit, and 20 critical the same as his H5 Killer weapons in the regular game.

Boss of Chapter 17 Morzas: Still a Manakete, but the reinforcements arrive three at a time and consist of a pirate, cavalier, and Manakete.

Boss of chapter 17x Dactyl: Another potentially controversial one, Dactyl becomes a Sage with a Thoron tome and a Swarm tome on H5. I think his portrait could pass for a mage and in addition to providing another magic boss, being a sage makes him more of a contrast to Etzel the Sorcerer. Also trivia, Dactyl is a finger bone, hence him stealing Etzel’ls ring.

Boss of chapter 18 Sternlin: Get this poor guy a spear ASAP so he can’t be boss abused by ranged units anymore. His spear is forged on H5 to have 14 might and 100 might, showing the power of the Sable order.

Boss of chapter 20 Camus: As one of the most able Knights alive, Camus’s stats are increased; his speed is 25 on H3-H5, his strength and skill maxed up on and his defense raised to 20 on H5.

Boss of chapter 20X Larissa: Easily the most pathetic boss in the original game, Larissa has been changed extensively. He has been reclassed from General To Horseman and is now a mobile boss, with the chapter being a rout instead of a seize. Larissa is equipped with a silver bow and silver sword on normal, on the hard difficulties he has a miniballista, which is forged to have 14 might and 110 hit on H5. His troops are more diverse as well, the tier 1 units being replaced by Berserkers and Swordmasters.

Boss of chapter 21 Orridyon: Minerva’s old vassal is reclassed to Warrior, exchanging his javelin for a tomahawk on normal and hard 1. On H2 and above, he has a miniballista instead that is which is forged to have 14 might and 110 hit on H5.

Boss of Chapter 22 Michalis: Is a mobile boss like the SNES version, with a generic Dracorider guarding the seize square, his speed is 24 on H3-H5, his strength and skilled raised to max on H5. His Javelin becomes a Tomahawk which is forged to have 16 might and 110 hit on H5.

Boss of chapter 23 Gharnef: Perhaps give him more HP, Mag, skill and a little more res, but outside from that, he’s pretty good already.

Mini boss of Chapter 23 Generic Bishop: Now a female bishop, on H5, she has Nosferatu and reblow.

Boss of Chapter 24 Xemcel: Already a very good boss, I might increase his H5 stats, Dragonstone included, to 28 skill, 26 speed and 22 defense to match the Mage Dragon boss in New Mystery, but all in all he’s great. Oh and replace his Pegasus Knight reinforcements with Falcoknights.

Boss of Chapter 24x Generic Manakete: Now has a Firestone instead of a Magestone and higher stats including 24 speed(Dragonstone included) on H5.

Boss of Final Chapter Medeus: Nothing else to change outside of his Defense being raised from 25 to his cap of 30 on H5.

So what does everyone think, any criticism, suggestions or other comments? I’d like to eventually make this as a patch if I figure out how to use nightmare on Mac.

On 11/8/2019 at 7:34 PM, Topaz Light said:

Hmmm... Here's what I'd do, personally:

• Nyna and Maria would both become Troubadour/Valkyrie-line classes. In Nyna's case, it's sort of to combine her final class with her original planned one (Paladin), while for Maria it's just to make her stand out more as a unit after you've already recruited three infantry staff-users.
  • Matthis would become a Wyvern Rider to create a reason to use him as a unit, and because, as a(n unwilling) member of Macedon's military, he's really the only candidate if a tier 1 Wyvern-riding character is to be included.
  • If Cavaliers are getting split up based on weapon types Jugdral/Tellius-style, then Cain becomes a Sword Knight, Abel a Lance Knight, and Frey an Axe Knight.
  • Wolf and Sedgar are demoted to Arch Knights/Nomads/Bow Knights/the tier 1 bow cavalry class in Shadow Dragon.
  • Barst would start as a Pirate in New Mystery.
  • Gonna second the idea of Arlen being a Dark Mage since that does add some additional narrative power.
  • Yuliya and Jubelo (god I still hate that the translated names broke their naming scheme) would trade base classes, with Yuliya becoming a Mage and Jubelo becoming a Curate, to better reflect their personalities.
  • Elice would either become or uniquely promote into a Priestess, as in, the Valentian promotion for female Mages, capable of using swords, tomes, and staves.

I'd could also see Matthis promoting to wyvern rider.

Wow a unique promotion for Elice, I'd love to see that.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

On 10/31/2019 at 3:02 AM, X-Naut said:

I'd rather Shadow Dragon just added a tier 1 Draco Knight and let Pegasus promote to Falcon Knight naturally. It's weird having Pegasus promote to Dracoknight without it being part of some reclass system.

And Hardin would obviously need to have general as his reclass option.

2 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Sorry for the lateness, things were busy, but hopefully the length of this post makes up for it.

So here’s my boss reclass list for Shadow Dragon, which also covers making them more threatening bosses by altering their inventory and in the case of manaketes, their weapons themselves are altered. I’ll cover New Mystery of the Emblem in a separate post.

Things to note:

1. Dragonstones are 1-2 range, so Manakete bosses can’t be abused with ranged weapons.
  2. Spears and Tomahawks are introduced into Shadow Dragon as boss exclusive weapons.
  3. A 1-2 Range Bow, called a Hand Ballista is introduced as the bow version of the spear/tomahawk. Later bosses on the harder difficulties use it to add a counter to units like Caeda/Catria.
  4. On H5 Javelins/Hand axes are forged or become Spears/Tomahawks for the late game bosses.
  5. Spears and Tomahawks are introduced into Shadow Dragon. However a 1-2 Range   
  Hide contents

Prologue Boss Gra Captain: Maybe becomes a soldier, but probably stays a cavalier. I think it’d be neat if he reappeared in chapter 14 with Jiol in Gra.

Boss of Chapter 1 Gazzak: Stays a pirate, but gets a hand axe in exchange for having lower speed on the harder difficulties or alternatively his hard mode stats stay the same if the prologue is included on modes above normal.

Boss of Chapter 2 Gomer: Stays the same.

Boss of Chapter 3 Hyman: Stays the same.

Boss of Chapter 4 Bentheon: Stays a cavalier, but moves and has a generic cavalier on his seize square.

Boss of Chapter 5 Merach: Stays the same, but gains a Javelin(Forged on H5). I was thinking of making him a fighter, but decided knight fits best.

Boss of Chapter 6 Emereus: Stays a General, but gains a Javelin/Spear so he can no longer being cheesed. Also since defense is raised to 15.

Boss of Chapter 6x Bathys: Stays a pirate but gets a hand axe/Tomahawk.

Boss of Chapter 7 Harmein: Stays a General, but exchanges his Silver Axe for a Silver Bow. On the harder difficulties, his silver lance becomes a spear.

Boss of Chapter 8 Kannival: Changes extensively into a Myrmidon using his levin sword as a weapon. Has a magic stat, especially on hard. This is based on his FE3 and FE11 incarnation having a levin sword, he can’t use and his build.

Boss of Chapter 9 Mannu: Stays the same, but Dragonstone are 1-2 range as mentioned before.

Boss of Chapter 10 Zharov: Reclassed into a Hero unit with a hand axe, it differs him from Harmein and adds more diversity, showing that not all bosses can be cheesed with the Wing Spear.

Boss of Chapter 11 Khozen: Stays the same, but maybe raise his speed and change the enemies around him.

Boss of Chapter 12 Volzhin: He is a human from Dolhr, so Sorcerer fits more then Bishop I think based off the TCG and Mystery of the Emblem. In addition to the Bishop change, Volzhin gets a physic stafff on the hard modes.

Mini Boss of chapter 12 Heimler: Stays the same as Paladin is a good class for a mobile boss built for taking out weak units. Maybe more speed, but thats about it.

Boss of chapter 12x Dejanira: This might be controversial, but I’d like to see him as a Berserker, given his connection with Dolhr and to showcase the enemies you’ll later face. His dialogue would also be altered to remove the word, “skewer” and replace it with “slay you like rabbits.”

Boss of Chapter 13: Grigas: I really can’t think of anything to change, he’s great as far as I remember. Though suggestions are welcome.

Boss of chapter 14 Jiol: Class is the same. On hard difficulties Jiol introduces the concept of a enemy exclusive 1-2 range bow, the MiniBallista the Bow counterpart to the Spear/Tomahawk.

Mini Boss of Chapter 15 Generic Bishop: Yes, I’m altering a generic boss. Gharnef’s subordinate is now a sage with an Elfire in addition to a swarm tome on the hard difficulties above.

Chapter 16 Hollstadt: Stays a General. Holsltadt has a mini ballista on difficulties besides normal. On H5, his MiniBallista is forged to have 12 mt, 100 hit, and 20 critical the same as his H5 Killer weapons in the regular game.

Boss of Chapter 17 Morzas: Still a Manakete, but the reinforcements arrive three at a time and consist of a pirate, cavalier, and Manakete.

Boss of chapter 17x Dactyl: Another potentially controversial one, Dactyl becomes a Sage with a Thoron tome and a Swarm tome on H5. I think his portrait could pass for a mage and in addition to providing another magic boss, being a sage makes him more of a contrast to Etzel the Sorcerer. Also trivia, Dactyl is a finger bone, hence him stealing Etzel’ls ring.

Boss of chapter 18 Sternlin: Get this poor guy a spear ASAP so he can’t be boss abused by ranged units anymore. His spear is forged on H5 to have 14 might and 100 might, showing the power of the Sable order.

Boss of chapter 20 Camus: As one of the most able Knights alive, Camus’s stats are increased; his speed is 25 on H3-H5, his strength and skill maxed up on and his defense raised to 20 on H5.

Boss of chapter 20X Larissa: Easily the most pathetic boss in the original game, Larissa has been changed extensively. He has been reclassed from General To Horseman and is now a mobile boss, with the chapter being a rout instead of a seize. Larissa is equipped with a silver bow and silver sword on normal, on the hard difficulties he has a miniballista, which is forged to have 14 might and 110 hit on H5. His troops are more diverse as well, the tier 1 units being replaced by Berserkers and Swordmasters.

Boss of chapter 21 Orridyon: Minerva’s old vassal is reclassed to Warrior, exchanging his javelin for a tomahawk on normal and hard 1. On H2 and above, he has a miniballista instead that is which is forged to have 14 might and 110 hit on H5.

Boss of Chapter 22 Michalis: Is a mobile boss like the SNES version, with a generic Dracorider guarding the seize square, his speed is 24 on H3-H5, his strength and skilled raised to max on H5. His Javelin becomes a Tomahawk which is forged to have 16 might and 110 hit on H5.

Boss of chapter 23 Gharnef: Perhaps give him more HP, Mag, skill and a little more res, but outside from that, he’s pretty good already.

Mini boss of Chapter 23 Generic Bishop: Now a female bishop, on H5, she has Nosferatu and reblow.

Boss of Chapter 24 Xemcel: Already a very good boss, I might increase his H5 stats, Dragonstone included, to 28 skill, 26 speed and 22 defense to match the Mage Dragon boss in New Mystery, but all in all he’s great. Oh and replace his Pegasus Knight reinforcements with Falcoknights.

Boss of Chapter 24x Generic Manakete: Now has a Firestone instead of a Magestone and higher stats including 24 speed(Dragonstone included) on H5.

Boss of Final Chapter Medeus: Nothing else to change outside of his Defense being raised from 25 to his cap of 30 on H5.

So what does everyone think, any criticism, suggestions or other comments? I’d like to eventually make this as a patch if I figure out how to use nightmare on Mac.

I'd could also see Matthis promoting to wyvern rider.

Wow a unique promotion for Elice, I'd love to see that.

I've always thought it'd be really cool if Volzhin was a Sniper or General that actually used Patria against the player. It'd be mildly terrifying, but the fact that it doesn't have 1 range means it would still be manageable to contend with at that point in the game. Fighting Nagi before recruiting her would also be more fun than fighting a generic manakete.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'd rather Shadow Dragon just added a tier 1 Draco Knight and let Pegasus promote to Falcon Knight naturally. It's weird having Pegasus promote to Dracoknight without it being part of some reclass system.

And Hardin would obviously need to have general as his reclass option.

I've always thought it'd be really cool if Volzhin was a Sniper or General that actually used Patria against the player. It'd be mildly terrifying, but the fact that it doesn't have 1 range means it would still be manageable to contend with at that point in the game. Fighting Nagi before recruiting her would also be more fun than fighting a generic manakete.

That'd be cool to see as well. I'd also like to see enemy falcoknights in that case.

Hardin's reclasses would be General, Horseman and Paladin, the latter being assuming he gets a unique class.

Enemy Nagi would be great, though given the cutscene, perhaps they wanted to keep her appearance a surprise?

I think Volzhin is hard to imagine as anything but a spell caster, given his clothing and characterization. However Sniper/Horseman Heimler with Parthia would be interesting and terrifying to see!

19 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

That'd be cool to see as well. I'd also like to see enemy falcoknights in that case.

Hardin's reclasses would be General, Horseman and Paladin, the latter being assuming he gets a unique class.

Enemy Nagi would be great, though given the cutscene, perhaps they wanted to keep her appearance a surprise?

I think Volzhin is hard to imagine as anything but a spell caster, given his clothing and characterization. However Sniper/Horseman Heimler with Parthia would be interesting and terrifying to see!

Yes, Volzhin definitely looks the part of a mage. But it does irk me somewhat that Doluna had access to Patria and inexplicably decided not to use it, even though they used the other two so it's absolutely possible.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:55 AM, Jotari said:

Yes, Volzhin definitely looks the part of a mage. But it does irk me somewhat that Doluna had access to Patria and inexplicably decided not to use it, even though they used the other two so it's absolutely possible.

Looking at the script, I'm not sure they had Parthia. Either Nyna held onto it the whole time and only gave it as a reward for capturing the palace like the Fire Emblem, or it was hidden somewhere in the Millennium palace that Dolhr didn't find it.

If they did have it, what do you think of Heimler using it? Would you prefer him as a Horseman or Sniper?

Speaking of Volzhin, I'm thinking he's a dragon worshipper from Dolhr. I've also said the theory that he's a former Manakete like Gotoh.

7 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Looking at the script, I'm not sure they had Parthia. Either Nyna held onto it the whole time and only gave it as a reward for capturing the palace like the Fire Emblem, or it was hidden somewhere in the Millennium palace that Dolhr didn't find it.

If they did have it, what do you think of Heimler using it? Would you prefer him as a Horseman or Sniper?

Speaking of Volzhin, I'm thinking he's a dragon worshipper from Dolhr. I've also said the theory that he's a former Manakete like Gotoh.

The script doesn't really support any indication as to where Nyna got Parthia. But it would be really weird and somewhat petty of her if she did have it the whole time and never gave it to Marth or Hardin before they conquered Archanea. So we can only deduce that if Nyna isn't fickle like that, it must have been in the palace to begin with. Was it hidden and the Doluna troops didn't know about it? Well possibly, nothing in the script says so either way. But I'd question how they could find Gradivus and Mercurius, but not Parthia. Was it more extra hidden than the other two?

Heimler having it would indeed be terrifying. But he wouldn't have canto due to this being Shadow Dragon and he would be locked to 2 range, meaning he'd be fenced in. It would provide a great challenge, especially considering you'd have almost the entire map to plan where to engage or ambush him and his troops at. I think it's a great idea. My only concern would be that some players may miss Parthia due to the way Heimler is structured as a boss. Players could seize the throne before he even shows up, or could panic and seize the throne without even engaging him. The chapter would have to be converted to a "Defeat the Enemy Commanders" style. Well, either that or we just chalk it up to earning your super weapons. If you don't manage to beat Heimler then you don't deserve Parthia. Although in a case where you don't beat him, we could have him show up again as reinforcements at a later level giving a second chance to obtain the weapon when your units are a bit stronger.

40 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The script doesn't really support any indication as to where Nyna got Parthia. But it would be really weird and somewhat petty of her if she did have it the whole time and never gave it to Marth or Hardin before they conquered Archanea. So we can only deduce that if Nyna isn't fickle like that, it must have been in the palace to begin with. Was it hidden and the Doluna troops didn't know about it? Well possibly, nothing in the script says so either way. But I'd question how they could find Gradivus and Mercurius, but not Parthia. Was it more extra hidden than the other two?

She did hold onto till chapter 6, so its not impossible she had it in her position.

I imagine Parthia would've been held in a secret compartment or similar, thus explaining why it wasn't found by Dolhr.

Heimler having it would indeed be terrifying. But he wouldn't have canto due to this being Shadow Dragon and he would be locked to 2 range, meaning he'd be fenced in. 

Keep in mind, Horseman Heimler would still have two cavaliers with him and it'd be hard to fence him in. Plus I imagine he'd have a sword of some kind in addition to Parthia.

It would provide a great challenge, especially considering you'd have almost the entire map to plan where to engage or ambush him and his troops at. 

Another thing to keep in mind is Heimler's role is to wipe out vulnerable units with fast and powerful attacks, something Partia would be great for.

On a sidenote, I wish more games had mobile-bosses like Heimler accompanying immobile bosses, it makes things more exciting. I was even considering adding a mini boss with the soldier portrait to various DS chapters.

My only concern would be that some players may miss Parthia due to the way Heimler is structured as a boss. Players could seize the throne before he even shows up, or could panic and seize the throne without even engaging him. The chapter would have to be converted to a "Defeat the Enemy Commanders" style. Well, either that or we just chalk it up to earning your super weapons.

Keep in mind its possible to miss Mercurius and even Gradivus in the DS version of Shadow Dragon if you don't kill Camus. I imagine very few players would skip Heimler, particularly as he opens the door and starts seeking out the player.

• 3 years later...

This is a pretty old topic, but it's still on the first page of this subforum, so I'm not actually causing a Necro by throwing some more thoughts in here.

It's weird how Archanean Generals went from Sword locked to lance locked, to Lance Bow. Meanwhile Archanean Knights went from Sword-Lance to lance lock (yeah, knights had more weapon access than generals in Fe1, but, then, thru weren't in a class line with each other). And while General is considered a pretty great class in Shadow Dragon, I don't think the generals themselves are considered fantastic units. With that in mind I think some Tellius approach to generals could have been pulled off. We also have six armoured units, Draug, Roger, Dolph, Macellean, Horace and Lorenz, which is definitely enough to split up into multiple classes.

As the og general of FE1, Lorenz would have to be some sort of Sword General. Draug also comes with an Iron Sword in FE1 (hence Heroes) so him also being some sort of Sword General could work. Dolh and Macellean don't start with any weapons so they're not beholden to any prior criteria, and Horace is new and this can be anything. So I think I'd do it this way.

Sword Knight (Sword, Lance) -> Sword General (Sword, Lance, Bow): Draug and Lorenz

Lance Knight (Lance, Axe) -> Lance General (Lance, Axe, Bows): Roger and Macellean

Axe Knight (Axe, Sword) -> Axe General (Axe, Sword, Bow): Dolph and Horace

So the division would be the same as Radiant Dawn in terms of what weapons are paired, the only difference would be that instead of getting full weapon triangle on promotion, they all get bows. Because Archanean bow generals are cool. The first weapon listed (and the name of their class) would have he higher natural weapon rank. I think it's absolutely fine for knights to have two weapons as a first tier class. If cavaliers can have two weapons so can knights (though Archanea also has a lot of cavaliers so splitting them up like this could be interesting too).

Draug and Dolph could swap classes too if you think it'd more interesting for Dolph to be an axe Knight so Marth has access to axes in chapter 1. But I prefer to be a purist to the janky NES game and depict Draug like he was there as a lance-swordie.

Edited by Jotari

• 5 months later...
On 9/18/2023 at 3:22 AM, Jotari said:

This is a pretty old topic, but it's still on the first page of this subforum, so I'm not actually causing a Necro by throwing some more thoughts in here.

You are technically correct - the best kind of correct!

On 9/18/2023 at 3:22 AM, Jotari said:

It's weird how Archanean Generals went from Sword locked to lance locked, to Lance Bow.

The designers were obviously going for "every pairing of physical weapons has at least one class representative":

Sword/Lance Paladins

Sword/Axe Heroes

Sword/Bow Horsemen

Lance/Axe Dracoknights

Lance/Bow Generals

Axe/Bow Warriors

So, while Lance/Bow Generals sound weird, they were presumably created to fill a void.

That's why I'm not personally on board for Shadow Dragon needing Axe cavalry, or Sword Generals. You can already reclass your Cavalier into an Axe-using class, or your Armor Knight into a Sword-using class. Decoupling weapon access from class identity just waters down the distinctiveness of each class, in a game where any given unit already struggles to stand out.

On 11/25/2019 at 4:46 AM, Jotari said:

Fighting Nagi before recruiting her would also be more fun than fighting a generic manakete.

I'm okay with this, but only if you need to Seize without killing Nagi in order to recruit her. Killing Nagi should... well, kill Nagi. Just as it does with Tiki.

On 11/29/2019 at 9:45 PM, Jotari said:

or ambush him and his troops at. I think it's a great idea. My only concern would be that some players may miss Parthia due to the way Heimler is structured as a boss. Players could seize the throne before he even shows up, or could panic and seize the throne without even engaging him.

Huh? I'm pretty sure Heimler is there from the very start of the map. He doesn't show up later as a reinforcement.

Anyway, I'd be fine with the player having to go out of their way to get Parthia. That's already the case with Gradivus, which the player can totally miss by skipping Camus. In this proposed instance, just make Heimler a Horseman.

21 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

You are technically correct - the best kind of correct!

The designers were obviously going for "every pairing of physical weapons has at least one class representative":

Sword/Lance Paladins

Sword/Axe Heroes

Sword/Bow Horsemen

Lance/Axe Dracoknights

Lance/Bow Generals

Axe/Bow Warriors

So, while Lance/Bow Generals sound weird, they were presumably created to fill a void.

That's why I'm not personally on board for Shadow Dragon needing Axe cavalry, or Sword Generals. You can already reclass your Cavalier into an Axe-using class, or your Armor Knight into a Sword-using class. Decoupling weapon access from class identity just waters down the distinctiveness of each class, in a game where any given unit already struggles to stand out.

I think giving them more varied default weapons would help them stand out though.

21 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'm okay with this, but only if you need to Seize without killing Nagi in order to recruit her. Killing Nagi should... well, kill Nagi. Just as it does with Tiki.

Huh? I'm pretty sure Heimler is there from the very start of the map. He doesn't show up later as a reinforcement.

Anyway, I'd be fine with the player having to go out of their way to get Parthia. That's already the case with Gradivus, which the player can totally miss by skipping Camus. In this proposed instance, just make Heimler a Horseman.

Yes I was misremembering there. He is indeed present from the start in the south east. There are cavaliers and horsemen reinforcements that do attack you from behind that I was confusing with him. On the subject of Parthia, Heimler being a bow knight with it was exactly what I suggested on my Archanea rewrite thread I posted a few weeks back. I was happy with that idea and thought it was my own, but now I'm seeing Emperor Hardin first suggested it in this thread 😞 though at least it was me who first suggest one of the bosses use it against the player.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

I think giving them more varied default weapons would help them stand out though.

In retrospect, this was a bad argument on my part. I erroneously conflated "class diversity" with "unit diversity". Your proposed change would increase the latter, but at the cost of the former.  Since "Sword Armor" is obviously less different from "Mercenary" than the vanilla "Lance Armor" is.

I do wonder how this would work with the existing "anybody can reclass into anything" system. Like, would "Axe Armor" Dolph be able to reclass into "Lance Armor"? And if I reclass Ogma into an Armor knight, would it be the default "Lances only", or one of your proposed specialized versions?

I'm broadly a fan of mounted and armored units having separate variants for different weapon types - FE4 and RD are two of my favorite games, after all - but I don't think it meshes especially well with DSFE's reclassing system. But if we were creating a game from the ground up with less reclassing - or none at all - then I think the variants would be a good inclusion.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yes I was misremembering there. He is indeed present from the start in the south east. There are cavaliers and horsemen reinforcements that do attack you from behind that I was confusing with him. On the subject of Parthia, Heimler being a bow knight with it was exactly what I suggested on my Archanea rewrite thread I posted a few weeks back. I was happy with that idea and thought it was my own, but now I'm seeing Emperor Hardin first suggested it in this thread 😞 though at least it was me who first suggest one of the bosses use it against the player.

Interestingly, with this change, all the legendary weapons would start out in enemy hands, since:

- Falchion is in Gharnef's inventory,

- Parthia is now on Heimler, who suddenly has relevance,

- Hauteclere comes on enemy Minerva,

- Gradivus is Camus' weapon of choice, and

- Mercurius is in the hands of "enemy" Est before she self-recruits.

18 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

In retrospect, this was a bad argument on my part. I erroneously conflated "class diversity" with "unit diversity". Your proposed change would increase the latter, but at the cost of the former.  Since "Sword Armor" is obviously less different from "Mercenary" than the vanilla "Lance Armor" is.

I do wonder how this would work with the existing "anybody can reclass into anything" system. Like, would "Axe Armor" Dolph be able to reclass into "Lance Armor"? And if I reclass Ogma into an Armor knight, would it be the default "Lances only", or one of your proposed specialized versions?

I'm broadly a fan of mounted and armored units having separate variants for different weapon types - FE4 and RD are two of my favorite games, after all - but I don't think it meshes especially well with DSFE's reclassing system. But if we were creating a game from the ground up with less reclassing - or none at all - then I think the variants would be a good inclusion.

It might have more impact in the system than might be readily apparent. Since as it stands reclassing isn't infinite. You can only reclass one more than the number of units in your army with that native class. So by breaking cavalry and armours up you alter how many of a certain type you can have at any given time. Cavalry in particular is very bloated in Archanea, compared to say Pirate -> Berserker if which we only have one. You've heard me express it before, but Ymir should have been a Berserker. And so too should have Dice. The man wears a viking helmet for crying out loud!