My Problem with Steel Lances

trunkynugget

I've never really seen anyone talk about this before, but I honestly think that steel lances in the GBA games are just bad. I don't think I have ever found a use for one throughout all my playthroughs of FE7 and 8. The lower hit rate paired with the enormous weight don't seem to be worth the extra 3 might. I have definitely been able to get a lot of use out of steel swords and axes, but just not steel lances for some reason. Whenever a unit comes with a steel lance I replace it with an iron one as soon as I can.

Does anyone else agree with me on this? Or are steel lances actually amazing and I just fail to see their merit?

Edited by trunkynugget

I agree that Steel Lances (and all steels in general) are overburdened with downsides, but they have some use in FE7/8 since they give 2 WEXP and weak/slow enemies means the weight and hit aren't as big a problem oftentimes. In FE6 though they're straight-up bad, the Horseslayer has better stats and their unreliable accuracy is substantially worse here.

I use them to one-shot things I normally wouldn't otherwise.  Not completely useless, but far less useful than a lot of other things.

(also, your title is awful)

25 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I use them to one-shot things I normally wouldn't otherwise.  Not completely useless, but far less useful than a lot of other things.

(also, your title is awful)

Sorry, is this any better? Should I go more specific? I really don't use forums often but I'm gonna try to be more active here.

13 minutes ago, trunkynugget said:

Sorry, is this any better? Should I go more specific? I really don't use forums often but I'm gonna try to be more active here.

If you have a problem with Steel Lances, that's fine.  No need to tell the world that this topic is your opinion - it should be pretty clear that it is, since you're making the thread and all.  Something about Steel Lances in the topic title is fine.  But since you're talking about their usefulness (or lack thereof), a mention of that would be better than "My opinion of..."

In other words, if it's a headline that I'd expect to see on Apple News, it's a near-guarantee that I have a low opinion of it.  The other thing that I think makes a low-quality title is the "is it just me/does anyone else think" that is far too common.  Since it's in the post itself, I'm willing to let it slide.

Steel Lance in particular gets more attention I think due to Pegasus Knights. When you look at the stat transition from Iron to Steel between the 3 types in the weapon triangle, the stat adjustments are the same (+3 MT, +5 WT, -10 or -15 HIT).

Pegasus Knights in particular, use the weapon type with the 2nd highest WT in the triangle but they tend to be units with low constitution so while the Attack Speed loss when they're using Iron is usually ignored due to them being able to double anyway (barring few exceptions where a Slim Lance is better), the Steel Lance will just shit on their Attack Speed and make the difference between doubling or not. In the case of the enemies, it makes them a joke on the level of Soldiers, you may never find a video from Mangs where there exists an enemy Pegasus Knight and he doesn't bring up how awful Steel Lance Pegasus Knights are, rightly so.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

18 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Steel Lance in particular gets more attention I think due to Pegasus Knights. When you look at the stat transition from Iron to Steel between the 3 types in the weapon triangle, the stat adjustments are the same (+3 MT, +5 WT, -10 or -15 HIT).

I agree though I would argue that the cavaliers, who tend to sit at around 9 Con suffer quite a bit too. Losing 4 AS is fine for some units but for cavaliers like Kent and Sain who usually have middling speed, this is often the difference between doubling and not doubling. They do eventually grow out of it as they level more speed/promote but by then the player would probably have access to better options anyway. 

Personally, I find steel lances hard to bother with unless you're an armor or something. By the time you can double with them, chances are killer lances are already a thing. They're outright unusable in Binding Blade because of their accuracy, too. 

• 3 months later...