Fire Emblem Three Houses sold 2 million copies

Harvey

So Nintendo's financial results have come in and as a result, Three Houses managed to sell 2 Million copies!

Q2 / (Q1)

Nintendo Switch:

Hardware: 41.67m / (36.87m + 4.8m)
Software: 246.01m / (210.13m + 35.88m)

Nintendo 3DS:

Hardware: 75.45m / (75.28m + 0.17m)
Software: 380.72m / (379.60m + 1.12m)

Top Selling Switch Titles:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 19.01m / (17.89m + 1.12m)

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 15.71m / (14.73m + 0.98m)

Super Mario Odyssey: 15.38m / (14.94m + 0.44m)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 14.54m / (13.61m + 0.93m)

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee: 11.28m / (10.98m + 0.30m)

Splatoon 2: 9.28m / (9.02m + 0.20m)

Super Mario Party: 7.59m / (6.99m + 0.60m)

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: 4.59m / (4.01m + 0.58m)

Super Mario Maker 2: 3.93m / NEW

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: 3.13m / NEW

Other Highlights:
- Fire Emblem Three Houses sales LTD: 2.29m
- Switch Hardware reached 6.93m sales (+36.7% YoY)
- Switch Software reached 58.49m sales (+38.8% YoY)
- Overall digital sales sees (+83.0%) YoY from packaged software, digital only software, and NSO.
- Digital Game Ratio: 34.8% this quarter; FY Cumulative 36.2%
- No changes in the hardware forecast (18 million)
- Nintendo Switch Lite sold 1.95 million units LTD.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/191031e.pdf

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crazy thing is that Fates and Awakening had crazy long legs. If FETH follows, which it probably will as a flagship Nintendo game on the Switch, it will probably rack up a few million more. 

58 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Though oddly enough, this briefing puts sales at at 1.7 million in 13 weeks, not 2.29 million (it also compares sales to Awakening and Fates's). Can anyone think of why that is?

They say exceding 1.7 so the total is 2.29 million. It sold 50% more in the west.

41 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The crazy thing is that Fates and Awakening had crazy long legs. If FETH follows, which it probably will as a flagship Nintendo game on the Switch, it will probably rack up a few million more. 

Its crazy isn't it. I mean, the game had mixed results but it ultimately ended up being received well and selling well. I'm glad I was wrong about the game in the end despite its flaws.

Edited by Harvey

Didnt we already have a thread for this? But I think already beeing the second best selling (non mobile) game in the series in just two months is quite the sucess right? We probably outsale Fates around christmas and will settle somewhere between 2-3 Millions Copies in total.

At least if I interpret these numbers right: https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem

I think this is a good sign for the series and things will hopefully start to steamroll from here on (also a sign that the homeconsole is also a place where the series belongs). I am curious how the sucessors of this game will do.

Edited by Nihilem

10 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

This does put a smile on my face...

Though oddly enough, this briefing puts sales at at 1.7 million in 13 weeks, not 2.29 million (it also compares sales to Awakening and Fates's). Can anyone think of why that is?

I'm more shocked that Awakening apparently managed to outsell Fates. Always thought it was the other way around.

Glad to hear the sales are positive. I am really happy with the game and don't regret getting it at all.

I do hope that the next game has more map variety and if it has multiple routes, that those routes have more differences. Give IS more money, nintendo!

2 hours ago, MrPerson0 said:

I'm more shocked that Awakening apparently managed to outsell Fates. Always thought it was the other way around.

That's because of the commonly cited, yet misleading, 2.94m figure for Fates sales. It counts all three versions -- including when bought as $20 DLC -- which drastically inflates the total, counting each individual purchaser up to 3x.

In reality, Fates did not beat Awakening in terms of individual purchasers, and Three Houses is already the best-selling Fire Emblem. Between upcoming holidays and upcoming story DLC, it should handily sell over 3m copies, making it the best by a wide margin.

These are very good news and well deserved, I'd say. Even with a smaller audience than the 3DS and this only counts for roughly two months, it manages to sell this much. The Switch seems to leave people wanting for more; Octopath Traveler broke one million sales fairly quickly and from what I heard that was unexpected.

4 hours ago, Florete said:

"Three Houses was poorly marketed in NA!" - Said so many fans.

>50% of Three Houses copies were sold in NA.

Let's leave marketing to the professionals.

I will fully admit I was one of those bemoaning NoA during that time. 😄

It just felt kind of hard to think otherwise when Japan was giving it stuff like weekly twitter reveals, magazine columns, and a whole bunch of other stuff while the West only got the occasional video before July.

5 hours ago, Florete said:

"Three Houses was poorly marketed in NA!" - Said so many fans.

>50% of Three Houses copies were sold in NA.

Let's leave marketing to the professionals.

I'm guessing a lot of that backlash was due to the localisation not being the ones who localized Shadows of valentia.

Anyways, yeah. Nintendo imo is one of the few that don't screw around the marketing aspect unlike some others that I know of who end up doing dumb decisions all the time.

Honestly, one of the things I love the most about these sales is that Intelligent Systems now shouldn't feel compelled to do the same thing over and over.

One of my bigger fears before Three Houses's reveal was that Intelligent Systems would feel compelled to follow the "Awakening model" for every game given how much more sales it got compared to older games. Fates very clearly followed in Awakening's shoes in terms of style and shoved in things like children units that clearly weren't originally planned but did anyway probably out of fear of not appealing to new fans.

But Three Houses did something all of its own, adapting from both the old and new all the while and it's turned into a great success. This shows that they don't have to follow one style in particular for a FE game to be successful, and I hope this encourages them to continue experimenting with the franchise in the future.

4 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Honestly, one of the things I love the most about these sales is that Intelligent Systems now shouldn't feel compelled to do the same thing over and over.

One of my bigger fears before Three Houses's reveal was that Intelligent Systems would feel compelled to follow the "Awakening model" for every game given how much more sales it got compared to older games. Fates very clearly followed in Awakening's shoes in terms of style and shoved in things like children units that clearly weren't originally planned but did anyway probably out of fear of not appealing to new fans.

But Three Houses did something all of its own, adapting from both the old and new all the while and it's turned into a great success. This shows that they don't have to follow one style in particular for a FE game to be successful, and I hope this encourages them to continue experimenting with the franchise in the future.

That's one way to put a positive spin on this, a least from my situation.

The thing is that, for some infuriating reason, I've found that every single Swich installment of my favorite franchises (BotW, Odyssey, Octopath Traveler, Three Houses) has been immensely disappointing to me for one reason or another, usually because the series dispensed with half of what I loved about it in the first place, and yet the near unanimous reaction I've seen to all of these games is immense praise, in some cases even saying things like how the game really trimmed the fat and modernized the series, as if I was literally the only one who liked any of these games for the parts that were removed. It's utterly alienating, and makes me often worry that I'm never going to enjoy another entry in any of these series, because everything I loved about them, to paraphrase the Star Wars prequel trilogy, "died with thunderous applause".

The idea that they might not take this to mean more games like Three Houses is a nice thought, but then, this is the same studio that makes Paper Mario, so...

Edited by Alastor15243

4 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

This may only mean that 3h is hoing to be the new standard tho. 

49 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

The thing is that, for some infuriating reason, I've found that every single Swich installment of my favorite franchises (BotW, Odyssey, Octopath Traveler, Three Houses) has been immensely disappointing to me for one reason or another, usually because the series dispensed with half of what I loved about it in the first place, and yet the near unanimous reaction I've seen to all of these games is immense praise, in some cases even saying things like how the game really trimmed the fat and modernized the series, as if I was literally the only one who liked any of these games for the parts that were removed. It's utterly alienating, and makes me often worry that I'm never going to enjoy another entry in any of these series, because everything I loved about them, to paraphrase the Star Wars prequel trilogy, "died with thunderous applause".

The idea that they might not take this to mean more games like Three Houses is a nice thought, but then, this is the same studio that makes Paper Mario, so...

I don't get what's so alienating about Three Houses but whatever.

Honestly, I actually liked Mario Odyssey and I didn't think I would. It was a pleasant surprise to me to how much variety they were able to push into the game. Still not as good as Galaxy, but definitely a pleasant experience considering how much I hated Mario 3D Land and 3D World (both those games are snoozefests).

Breath of the Wild...yeah not a big fan of that. Octopath Traveler I intend to try one of these days.

Breath of the Wild is a weird game to play if you are a long running fan but don't have any experiences with the NES games.  Because it lacks many of the usual stuff that ALttP ando OoT popularized about the games. And instead returned to the more Action Adventure origins of the franchise.

_____

I'm happy that que aren't going to ve doomed to have the same FE games all the time.

13 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

I don't get what's so alienating about Three Houses but whatever.

Honestly, I actually liked Mario Odyssey and I didn't think I would. It was a pleasant surprise to me to how much variety they were able to push into the game. Still not as good as Galaxy, but definitely a pleasant experience considering how much I hated Mario 3D Land and 3D World (both those games are snoozefests).

Breath of the Wild...yeah not a big fan of that. Octopath Traveler I intend to try one of these days.

To be clear, I don't think all four are bad games. BotW is great at what it does, it just doesn't do much of what the previous games excelled at, and what little of them it does do it does terribly. It is, however, so good at what it does right that I still found the game plenty of fun.

I played plenty of both Octopath and Odyssey more or less to completion, they just weren't nearly as fun as the previous entries.

The only one of the four I actively hated was Three Houses, and that was because the game seemed almost perfectly tailored to make me hate it, with its clear disinterest in providing fun challenges, its inability to ever be hard and fair at the same time, and the immense amounts of padding they put between chapters, none of which I found fun.

Edited by Alastor15243

12 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

You are not alone. Three Houses alienated me too. To the point to which I avoid much of internet out of fear of being a killjoy. 

14 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I can't figure out how you found SMO or Botw disappointing but whatever.

Three Houses did everything that fans nearly wanted but the map design. To me atleast, the story is a major improvement of Fates.