Ideas for New Mii Fighters: Mage, Spearfighter, Smasher

Lord_Brand

I find it weird how some Mii Swordfighter costumes like Ashley and Viridi are shoehorned into Swordfighter when they look like they should be mage-type fighters. I also feel the game could use more polearm fighters (I think Palutena is literally the only one right now), and fighters with a focus on heavy weapons (right now Ganondorf, King Dedede, Ike, and Cloud are the only heavy weapon users, and Ganondorf barely qualifies). So, I came up with these three new Mii Fighter types to cover underrepresented gameplay niches, and to provide Fighters for costumes that don't quite fit Brawler, Gunner, or Swordfighter.

The Mii Mage casts magic spells using a wand or scepter. Ideal costumes for the Mage include Wizzrobe, Kamek, Ashley, and Black Mage.

The Mii Spearfighter performs quick, graceful combos with a polearm such as a staff or spear. Ideal costumes for the Spearfighter include Mipha, Minerva, Krystal, and Kain Highwind.

The Mii Smasher delivers powerful, crushing blows with a hefty two-handed axe, hammer, or sword. Ideal costumes for the Smasher include Barbarian, Darknut, Iron Knuckle, and Magnus.

Cool ideas. You'd have to make sure that they're different enough from Brawler, Gunner, and Swordfighter. 

Here's a few more costume ideas for each:

Mage: Yuga, FE Mage (wears robes and holds a tome), Kadabra (holds a twisted-spoon), Twinrova, Zant (his uber-long sleeves would be the wand), Toadsworth, Melia, Selvaria, Bles, and Aerith

Spearfighter: Hylian Soldier (Ocarina of Time), Hylian Soldier (Spirit Tracks), Dimitri, and Nephenee

Smasher: Hammer Bros., Ashnard, Daruk, and Sephiroth

Good suggestions, though I was thinking Aerith would be more Spearfighter than Mage since she uses a long staff; the Spearfighter is generally meant for long polearms in general. I just chose Spearfighter as the name to fit with the "Verber" template the Mii Fighters follow, though the Mage currently breaks that rule. Should it be called Spellcaster or Sorcerer instead? I'm also considering other names for the Smasher, like Bruiser or Crusher.

3 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Good suggestions, though I was thinking Aerith would be more Spearfighter than Mage since she uses a long staff; the Spearfighter is generally meant for long polearms in general. I just chose Spearfighter as the name to fit with the "Verber" template the Mii Fighters follow, though the Mage currently breaks that rule. Should it be called Spellcaster or Sorcerer instead? I'm also considering other names for the Smasher, like Bruiser or Crusher.

Spellcaster would make a lot more sense than mage. As for Smasher/Bruiser/Crusher, I'm not sure which one would work best. Bruiser sounds a bit too hand-to-hand for a weapon-based character, while crusher and smasher sound more like "big impact" than "big weapon". I'm not sure there. 

I'll be honest when I say that I haven't played Final Fantasy 7 (I am interested in getting the remake though), so for Aerith I just figured magic, therefore spellcaster. Now that you bring that up though, there is a bit of a gray area here regarding spellcaster and spearfighter since Aerith's not the only one: Azura, Zelda (a rapier is a sword, but it may as well be a small spear in terms of the fact that it's a long thrusting weapon (please don't take that out of context)), and really any magic wielder with a sufficiently-sharp staff.

It would help if you laid out more about what kinds of tricks these fighters have. For instance, does spearfighter have access to any projectiles/magic? Can a shield appear for some of its special attacks? Or does it really purely on spear attacks and being dexterous?

Going back to Smasher, as a historical weapons enthusiast, it's a pet peeve of mine whenever big weapons like two-handed swords, axes and hammers are portrayed as very slow in video games. They were not slow at all, as the video below illustrates:

I can understand it from a gameplay balance perspective. I still just find it a bit annoying; particularly when it's portrayed as really slow; like-swinging-a-telephone-pole-with-an-anvil-at-the-other-end slow. Of course, the swords that a lot of these characters use are a lot bigger and more impractical than the montantes in that video.

I guess what I'm saying is: be careful about how they would be balanced. Perhaps make it that, while their reach is good, it is not that of the spearfighter.