What little things really grind your gears?

What small or trivial nitpicks with any aspect of the franchise just get under your skin? It could be a particular artistic trend, character trope, common story beat, game mechanic, etc.

I've got a few. 

1. Weapon colors.

It just really bothers me on a visceral level when a character's personal weapon clashes with their outfit's color scheme. Especially in Fire Emblem Heroes, where personal weapons are more prevalent.

You've got personal weapons that clash on a minor level. Ie: Falchion, the Binding Blade, and Tyrfing have random green gems that don't correspond with anything on their wielder.

Then there are major examples. Chrom's Falchion and scabbard has a completely opposite red and white-gold color scheme to his blue and silver color scheme. That's just bloody awful.

2. Dragon lolis

Stop it. Just stop.

3. Ambush spawns

I really wish that game difficulty settings offered custom options for enabling and disabling certain mechanics, and ambush spawns are first and foremost among those. It's seriously bad game design when enemies move on the same phase that they spawn.

Enemies should always spawn at the end of enemy phase, period.

Edited by Etheus

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go a bit further on the ambush spawns real quick
PASS Ambush Spawns
It's Garbage. It's BS. It's not fair, it's not fun. I shouldn't get punished for units being able to MOVE THROUGH my tankier units and attack my healers/mages, when I didn't expect those units in the first place. 

Here's my list:

Nigh-Unbeatable enemies that carry rare items you can only get by beating them. I have no problem with OP enemies you're supposed to avoid; ideally, they can add a lot to a chapter both in gameplay and story by introducing us to an enemy we can't hope to defeat right now. For instance, I have no problem with the Black Knight in Path of Radiance; his moments where he appears are a massive, "Oh ****!" moment that work very well. But if the Black Knight had a special item I can only get by beating him before I'm supposed to, then that's where I would have an issue.

I dislike how the two Dracoshields in SoV are in the hands of Part 1 Desaix and Part 4 Jedah respectively, and I dislike how the only Dark Seals in Three Houses can only be obtained by beating the Death Knight. I suppose it would be fine if there were ways that you could beat them by being clever and resourceful without having to level-grind (or use Lysithea if you're in a different house), but that would undercut that these are supposed to be guys you should avoid; not guys you should fight. 

Dragon-Loli's. This needs to stop; I get that Tiki is iconic for FE, but that's all the more reason that the other plot-relevant manaketes should not be Tiki knockoffs. Give us some variety, or at the very least make them teenagers or full-grown adults. 

Dong Armour and/or Side Plates. As a medieval arms-and armour enthusiast and a practitioner of HEMA, I love medieval fantasy, and I feel that one should gladly take liberties with authenticity if you're replacing it with something cool. My problem is that there are a number of recurring armour designs in FE that are neither authentic nor cool, and these are two of them. 

For Dong Armour, I'm referring to when the unit has that piece of armour hanging down between their legs (images below). It's not practical, as it doesn't protect the legs at all and you can remove the parts that aren't protecting the groin, and it doesn't look cool; it looks like the knights are overcompensating for something. 

Image result for fire emblem gaiden alm"Image result for fire emblem zelgius"Image result for fire emblem radiant dawn general"

If you look at most of those pictures, you'll see that a lot of those same units also have what I'm calling side plates: plates that protect the sides of the legs, but not the front. (More images below). Some of these just get ridiculous in size. They're not practical, as they don't protect the front of the legs at all, and unlike historic leg plates, they're clearly not being worn on the leg: they're hanging from the waist. The weight of medieval plate armour was spread evenly throughout the body, so, even though it was fairly heavy, it did not feel heavy. All the weight of those massive side plates is being taken at the belt; that has to hurt. 

Not only that, but they aren't remotely cool. A lot of them just look silly, especially in Three Houses, where it looks like the fortress knights have half a turtle shell sticking out of their rear end. 

Image result for fire emblem echoes baron"Image result for fire emblem shadow dragon frey"Image result for fire emblem fortress knight"Image result for fire emblem oscar"Image result for fire emblem titania"

That they keep making archers the designated weakling of the team.

That people think solving the 1-2 range problem is by adding more 1-2 range.

7 hours ago, Etheus said:

2. Dragon lolis

Stop it. Just stop.

Fae, Tiki and Myrrh are precious balls of sunshine who must be protected forever.

It's when they start sexualizing them that it gets uncomfortable for me. Nowi may be an entertaining character, but to hell with that crazy stripper outfit.

As for me: Giving the job of localizing song lyrics to people who don't know how to write lyrics.

Just about every single vocal song in this entire series that has ever had an English version made was localized by somebody who doesn't know or doesn't care about syllable emphasis. Thinking that matching lyrics to music is just about matching syllable count and not rhythm. When you have to deliberately mispronounce words to get them to fit in your song, pick better words. Don't pronounce "double" as "da bull", and don't pronounce "betrays" as "bee trays"! This is lyric writing 101.

Reinforcements: I HATE this mechanic with a passion, even in games where they don't move the same turn they spawn, simply because they rarely give a warning of where, when, and who will appear, and even then said warning isn't always helpful. They just suddenly pop up and now you have to deal with the unexpected enemies while you were in the middle of facing a different problem, which is more infuriating that interesting. As annoying as cantors can be, I prefer them over regular reinforcements, because at least they're predictable and I can employ "cut the head off the snake" strategies to deal with the unit they summoned. I can't say the same about reinforcements, and blocking them with units leads to A. That unit not getting any experience from standing on a fortress tile, B. Wasted time if no one actually spawns that time, and C. Not every reinforcement comes from a fort.

What baffles me is that this problem could be solved so easily, and it could actually add some death to the game. I remember when I had a guide up when Ironmanning Awakening for the first time, I thought that knowing when and where reinforcements will appear actually added rather than detracted from the strategy. Now that I knew that information, I could plan around it, and thus encountered interesting situations where I had to weight between blocking the reinforcement from spawning the next turn or dealing with a more immediate threat.

As for an easy solution, just add a visual indication that a reinforcement will spawn the next turn in a certain fort or area (and perhaps have a skill that reveals who will appear and/or shows several turns ahead that a reinforcement will show up, and maybe when they stop as well). That way, the player will know that enemies will show up the next turn, and have to decide how to deal with the sudden turn of events. They won't just suddenly pop up without warning to ruin the players day and make them paranoid about every fort on the map.

Hiding Growth Rates and Support Points: I can live without knowing these, but there's really no reason at this point to hide this information from the player. It's not difficult to adjust the UI to add a percentage next to the characters stats, or show how many points a character needs to unlock the next support rank. These additions wouldn't be game-changing, but they would be solid quality of life improvements.

Lack of an Advanced Section: What I mean by this is is that if you want the hard data for how exactly skill affects accuracy or speed affects avoidance, you have to go online to find it. Again, I can live without knowing this, and the games saying "higher skill=higher hit and crit rates" is enough for some people. However, if I want to know exactly how luck factors into other equations or why my sword user is suddenly doing 2 extra damage against an axe user, I can't view that information in the game itself. Adding a section that contains all the formulas and equations would be helpful for the people who want that data, while people who are fine with the general descriptions won't be forced to view it.

I also would have liked one when playing through Fates to explain the terminology. I found out what most of the phrases meant on my own, but occasionally that was through trial and error, and Conquest isn't kind to that kind of playstyle. There are some skills and weapons who descriptions that I'm still uncertain about how they actually work, so having a section that explains them in more depth outside of battle would be helpful and reduce the frustration of finding out the hard way that something does X when you thought it would do Y.

Lack of Pants: I understand that Fire Emblem has had fanservice since the beginning, so I'm not complaining about some characters showing skin. I do have an issue when it leads to nonsensical class design that's distracting for the wrong reasons.

59 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Reinforcements: I HATE this mechanic with a passion, even in games where they don't move the same turn they spawn, simply because they rarely give a warning of where, when, and who will appear, and even then said warning isn't always helpful. They just suddenly pop up and now you have to deal with the unexpected enemies while you were in the middle of facing a different problem, which is more infuriating that interesting. As annoying as cantors can be, I prefer them over regular reinforcements, because at least they're predictable and I can employ "cut the head off the snake" strategies to deal with the unit they summoned. I can't say the same about reinforcements, and blocking them with units leads to A. That unit not getting any experience from standing on a fortress tile, B. Wasted time if no one actually spawns that time, and C. Not every reinforcement comes from a fort.

What baffles me is that this problem could be solved so easily, and it could actually add some death to the game. I remember when I had a guide up when Ironmanning Awakening for the first time, I thought that knowing when and where reinforcements will appear actually added rather than detracted from the strategy. Now that I knew that information, I could plan around it, and thus encountered interesting situations where I had to weight between blocking the reinforcement from spawning the next turn or dealing with a more immediate threat.

As for an easy solution, just add a visual indication that a reinforcement will spawn the next turn in a certain fort or area (and perhaps have a skill that reveals who will appear and/or shows several turns ahead that a reinforcement will show up, and maybe when they stop as well). That way, the player will know that enemies will show up the next turn, and have to decide how to deal with the sudden turn of events. They won't just suddenly pop up without warning to ruin the players day and make them paranoid about every fort on the map.

this pretty much all of this 100%. Cause like even if it's not an ambush spawn it's still kind of unfair because again they come out without any warning and when they do you have no idea what kind of units are gonna show up anyway so you can't plan appropriately. Like what if they say reinforcements are going to come from behind well then you send a couple units maybe mages or Calvary to deal with them but then when the reinforcements spawn it they're a bunch of units with high res or def meaning you have to scramble to completely rework your plan to keep people from dying. 

Though funnily enough one map I found to do reinforcements well(or it could just be bias) was paralogue 10 from awakening because the reinforcements spawned so far away which gave me enough time to asses the new situation and find a way to deal with it before anything drastic happened. I find that way of doing it pretty fair because it gave me enough time to work around it. I find reinforcements are at their worst when they don't give you enough time to asses the new situation and be able to adequately counter it without completely breaking up your formation and scrambling everything around. 

31 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Though funnily enough one map I found to do reinforcements well(or it could just be bias) was paralogue 10 from awakening because the reinforcements spawned so far away which gave me enough time to asses the new situation and find a way to deal with it before anything drastic happened. I find that way of doing it pretty fair because it gave me enough time to work around it. I find reinforcements are at their worst when they don't give you enough time to asses the new situation and be able to adequately counter it without completely breaking up your formation and scrambling everything around. 

Place is a huge part of reinforcements. It doesn't matter what phase the reinforcements spawn on if they're nowhere near you to begin with. It's also why treating phase as a difficulty-binary thing works so poorly.

There are a few things that grind my gears in Fire Emblem. I'll list some of them:

Ambush spawns
I hate them because they're just there to f*** over new players. Playing a game for the first time, you usually have no clue that they're even in it or - even worse - from which way they'll arrive. They can make you lose units through no fault of your own. You have to have the entire game memorized to know which chapter has which ambush spawns and from where they'll come, which just adds to the frustration of it all. Btw, "look it up" is no excuse. Rather, that kind of statement is precisely why they are BS and automatically disqualified for any discussion about fair challenge or difficulty for me, as is every game/difficulty level that implements them. Because I shouldn't have to rely on outside sources to beat a game.

Philanderer archetype
Inigo/Laslow, Sain, Gatrie, Saul, Virion, Sylvain (to a certain degree, because besides the philandering stuff, he's actually a decent enough guy)... I hate every character that is associated with this trope. With a burning passion. I wish Fire Emblem finally did away with that garbage. Sadly, these characters always end up insanely popular for reasons that are honestly way beyond my comprehension. Not that I have anything against the people who like them, of course.

Asshole Archer
Innes, Shinon, Takumi... yeah, another character type that seriously needs to get the hell out of here. These characters are just flat-out unlikable to me and have very few - if any - redeeming qualities. 

Camus types being depicted in a heroic light
I am of the mind that surrendering your free will for loyalty to anyone or anything and/or blindly following orders without question no matter how immoral is just about one of the dumbest things anyone could do. Thus, I really dislike it when these kinds of characters are depicted as anything but utter failures (looking at you, Xander). Now, these characters can be interesting (though Fire Emblem's depictions of them rarely are), and I do think they have a place in the games, but not as heroes. Because there is nothing heroic about them to me.

Most natural Cavaliers are bland and/or boring, personality-wise
Basically what it says. I personally think that most characters that start out in the Cavalier class are really freaking boring. There is usually nothing to them beyond "I am loyal to my lord/lady". Sadly, most Jeigan characters also fall into this trap. There are exceptions, of course (some of which fall under the philanderer category, which I really hate), but for the majority, it sadly holds very, very true to me. Perhaps this is why I refuse to use any of them...

Unit/Class bias
When the game is very blatant about what kinds of classes it wants you to use or which characters were the developer's favorites. In a game that gives me the choice between so many different characters and classes, this stuff has always bothered me when it popped up. Case in point: the blatant bias for the Royal siblings in Fates.

I'll just recite the same-turn reinforcements, though the hell map that turns me against them isn't in 3H. The hell map is Flame Barrel FE12.

latest?cb=20140111091145

This is the SNES version, but the map is the same tile for tile in FE12. See all the forts? In FE3, only the ones in the bottom right spawn reinforcements. Now I don't recall exactly when the reinforcements spawn, but FE12 allows enemies to emerge from the forts halfway up that big bridge, and from the ones at the top where two bandits and a dragon are sitting, and yet more from the two forts near the castle you need to seize.

On Hard and above on FE12, reinforcements are same-turn. And if you go into this map blind, the reinforcements, Fire Dragons maybe even Wyverns with massive Move and flight, will kill people, they already all 2HKO your more durable units basically. The game does have limited battle save points usable on any difficulty, but it's not a good move if the only way to deal with reinforcements is to block their spawn points (which admittedly you can do without any challenge).

But, I'm pretty chill overall. 

5 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Dragon-Loli's. This needs to stop; I get that Tiki is iconic for FE, but that's all the more reason that the other plot-relevant manaketes should not be Tiki knockoffs. Give us some variety, or at the very least make them teenagers or full-grown adults. 

The one straw that breaks the camel's back for me is Sothis has the exact same hair color as Tiki (well, in the same green family), and Nagi/a, and Nowi, and canon Nah, and Mila and Duma. Can we stop the green-haired dragons? I'm tired of it.

Xane doesn't even abide by this rule, and 3H isn't Archanea, so a "Divine Dragons are all genetically green" excuse doesn't work. I was getting a little sick of it with Mila and Duma, but that excuse kept me from chastising them. Adding in the lolikete part only worsens Sothis. I'd take full-frontal Bantu over another greenie of any kind.

I'll admit that the royal family of Goldoa are all greens too, even if Dheg is a baldy. But at least Nasir is rockin' bluish-white and Ena and Gareth have pink and red, there is some variety in Goldoan hair as a whole.

-Just a semi-serious cosmetic criticism.

From what I've played of 3H so far (up to and including Chapter 14 GD Hard Classic), it isn't a major fault, but I'm a little disappointed by how most maps have worked. A group of enemies will actively come after you, at the map's start. But once they're dead, enemy movement ceases and everyone just sits there until you enter their range. If you're not playing with strict turn counts in mind, this means difficulty effectively nearly evaporates once the first few turns are past. I understand all enemies not moving at once, and all games for good reason have stationary enemy packs, but so far, 3H has been a little too immobile, even if I don't know off the top of my head what would be better.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

18 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Philanderer archetype
Inigo/Laslow, Sain, Gatrie, Saul, Virion, Sylvain (to a certain degree, because besides the philandering stuff, he's actually a decent enough guy)... I hate every character that is associated with this trope. With a burning passion. I wish Fire Emblem finally did away with that garbage. Sadly, these characters always end up insanely popular for reasons that are honestly way beyond my comprehension. Not that I have anything against the people who like them, of course.

It might be because comic relief. I for one remember laughing so hard at Sain I spit on my friend's GBA. That said most of them are meh to me, Sylvain is the first one I'd actually take home lol. It might be the red floof but he's freaking adorable.

Can see that it's become a bit overused though, much like what I'm gonna add:

Dead parents
Jeralt didn't have to be playable! He just needed to survive and have a good story role for longer. It's clear IS is using the dead parents as a reason to spur the main lord or avatar into action and give them a reason to hate the enemy. And there are other ways to do this, not as easy, but these are supposed to be professional writers I'm sure they can do it. I rooted for Jeralt to break this trend. I really did. Oh well he can be bros with Greil now. #DeadDadClub

Elitist players
If it counts. People say the harder modes are easy while I struggle. I made a topic about this.

14 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Dead parents

Spoiler

Jeralt didn't have to be playable! He just needed to survive and have a good story role for longer. It's clear IS is using the dead parents as a reason to spur the main lord or avatar into action and give them a reason to hate the enemy. And there are other ways to do this, not as easy, but these are supposed to be professional writers I'm sure they can do it. I rooted for Jeralt to break this trend. I really did. Oh well he can be bros with Greil now. #DeadDadClub

Spoiler

I'm frankly amazed that knife managed to penetrate through all of Jeralt's death flags.

Edited by Alastor15243

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

I'm frankly amazed that knife managed to penetrate through all of Jeralt's death flags.

Yeah, his death was underwhelming. Feelsy, but underwhelming. Greil at least went down fighting.

An explanation was attempted, the "the dagger was coated in poison" deal but then we heard nothing more on it.

34 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Dead parents

well if it works it works. I ain't gonna complain personally. Cliche as it may be it does what it needs to do. Could it have been done better? perhaps, but that's just how it is. It serves it's purpose in the story and moves the plot forward in the way it needs to so I'm not gonna complain. 

Well anyway for me one thing that really grinds my gears about these games is the inconsistient number of units you can deploy each map. Like it's not so bad in SS, awakening, birthright, or rev, and to some extent 3H because of grinding but in other entries it annoys that for 3 maps in a row I'm only using like 12 units then on the fourth map I'm suddenly allowed to use 15 units and said units are waay behind in levels and stats because I haven't been using them. It annoys me a lot.

22 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

well if it works it works. I ain't gonna complain personally. Cliche as it may be it does what it needs to do. Could it have been done better? perhaps, but that's just how it is. It serves it's purpose in the story and moves the plot forward in the way it needs to so I'm not gonna complain.

What exactly did it "need to do"? I fail to see the purpose of Jeralt's death in the story. it's pretty much completely dropped as a plot point a month or so after it happens.

5 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

What exactly did it "need to do"? I fail to see the purpose of Jeralt's death in the story. it's pretty much completely dropped as a plot point a month or so after it happens.

Well it depends on the route but generally speaking Jeralt's death basically acts as the sort of "climax" of Byleth's character arc(what little of it there was anyway). Byleth is emotionless or rather appears that way because of their constantly blank expression. It really wasn't until they became a professor at the officer's academy that this started to change. Over the course of these several chapters Byleth(and by extension the player) has grown to love and care for the students of their house and it's because of that they begin to emote more. Their face isn't as constantly stoic as it used to be. They start to being able to express themselves better much to the surprise of everyone else around them(namely the house leader as seen through their surprised reactions to Byleth smiling for the first time). Jeralt also begins to notice this change and is happy for them because it's something he hasn't been able to do for all the time they spent together anyway. This little arc per say comes to its apex when Jeralt dies and Byleth for the very first time in their life begin to shed genuine tears of grief for their father's death. This then leads to Byleth's thirst for revenge in the chapter to follow. Essentially this event marks the point where Byleth can truly value the things they care about and show it. That they can finally express themselves in they way that they always wanted but couldn't for whatever reason. This growth is even further compounded with the power up they get by merging with sothis to become the enlightened one(cause it ain't a japanese action story without the character development induced power up). Now depending on the route this event has a little more depth to it but that's a discussion for another time.

13 hours ago, Ottservia said:
Spoiler

Well it depends on the route but generally speaking Jeralt's death basically acts as the sort of "climax" of Byleth's character arc(what little of it there was anyway).

Spoiler

That's my main issue here. Is Byleth even supposed to have character arcs? It really felt like the writers were trying to have their cake and eat it too, but the worst parts of having and eating. They wanted to absolve themselves of any responsibility to make a compelling character by making him an emotionless robot player stand-in, just here to observe the people around him... but then they went and tried to make a developed character around being mute, emotionless and boring. So I'm just left sitting here, confused. Is he supposed to be a player stand-in, or his own character? Because due to the very specifically terrible efforts at both, he winds up being neither.

The entire story arc with Jeralt was essentially a massive waste of time because it gave a terrible character arc to a character who didn't need one until they gave him one.

Edited by Alastor15243

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

Well anyway for me one thing that really grinds my gears about these games is the inconsistient number of units you can deploy each map. Like it's not so bad in SS, awakening, birthright, or rev, and to some extent 3H because of grinding but in other entries it annoys that for 3 maps in a row I'm only using like 12 units then on the fourth map I'm suddenly allowed to use 15 units and said units are waay behind in levels and stats because I haven't been using them. It annoys me a lot.

AMEN. This also goes the other way around- you're using a full army, but then you're forced to bench some of that army in the next map. Then, new units also join in on the crud, making your decision on who to bench a little bit crazy.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Unit/Class bias
When the game is very blatant about what kinds of classes it wants you to use or which characters were the developer's favorites. In a game that gives me the choice between so many different characters and classes, this stuff has always bothered me when it popped up. Case in point: the blatant bias for the Royal siblings in Fates.

Again, AMEN. FE4, for example, is a very mount-focused game, and FE6/7 also really seem to prefer mounted and flying units, due to the rescue drop mechanics, those units typically having low-to-middling constitution and high AID, allowing for those rescue drops, and other units typically not being able to reach the field quickly enough to matter. Apart from Oswin, there's not a single GBA general I like using (and Marcus STILL has to carry him into battle), and Lords being locked at 5 MOV for most of the journey means that if you don't want them to be underleveled, you'd better use enough mounted units to ferry THEM around.

It's the same with units. As you yourself said, Fates puts HEAVY bias on Camilla and Ryoma as units in particular. FE8 puts Seth on such a high pedestal that he's almost considered Meta Knight tier. The higher difficulties of FE10 would be almost impossible without Haar, and in Awakening, dropping Robin almost feels like a death sentence to some. But it goes a step further, like in FE6 where half of the cast is awful, and the other half is mostly boring.

12 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

That's my main issue here. Is Byleth even supposed to have character arcs? It really felt like the writers were trying to have their cake and eat it too, but the worst parts of having and eating. They wanted to absolve themselves of any responsibility to make a compelling character by making him an emotionless robot player stand-in, just here to observe the people around him... but then they went and tried to make a developed character around being mute, emotionless and boring. So I'm just left sitting here, confused. Is he supposed to be a player stand-in, or his own character? Because due to the very specifically terrible efforts at both, he winds up being neither.

The entire story arc with Jeralt was essentially a massive waste of time because it gave a terrible character arc to a character who didn't need one until they gave him one.

It's a little bit of both actually. Byleth is written like a Persona protagonist if that wasn't already obvious. What I mean is that they're written as if they are their own character within the established world but its done in way to make it open-ended to the player in how they choose to interpret it. You can see Byleth as just an self-insert avatar of yourself or you can see them as their own character with their own thoughts, opinions, backstory, what have you. With the way it's written both interpretations are equally valid. It's like how Robin is written. Robin has an established personality, opinions, and backstory but it's so subdued and open ended to the point where you can pretty much interpret his character in any way you wish and I find it does that well. Robin can be his own established character but that character is mostly up to player interpretation which is why he works. Byleth is the exact same way. 

Also what about that character arc is terrible? It's straightforward, consistent, its not contrived at all, it doesn't raise any plot holes, so I fail to see the problem with it. If you found the character arc to be uninteresting that's fine(I personally don't find it to be all that interesting myself) but that's not why it's objectively terrible. Phrase your arguments better please.

14 minutes ago, GlitchWarrior said:

AMEN. This also goes the other way around- you're using a full army, but then you're forced to bench some of that army in the next map. Then, new units also join in on the crud, making your decision on who to bench a little bit crazy.

Yeah that also bothers me lot but not nearly as much

1 minute ago, Captain Karnage said:

I really hate exploring the monistary, like I get that it makes the place feel more lively, but it just gets old really fast. I just want a menu as an option. 

This is why I haven't even reached timeskip on my second playthrough yet.

Since the topic the asking for little things:

• Weapons that that have the same sprite. I'm looking at you Fates.
  • Fluctuating numbers about the amount of units that can be deploy each map. 
  • Supports (mostly ) happening in a void. Granted Three Houses does have some supports that are time locked, but at the same most of them occur outside the story.
  • Arms Scrolls not being more common.
  • No merging items. Awakening is still the only game to have this.

9 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

I really hate exploring the monistary, like I get that it makes the place feel more lively, but it just gets old really fast. I just want a menu as an option. 

I'm not too big of a fan of it, but that's mostly because my sense of direction is so bad I could get lost in a straight hallway.

16 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

• No merging items. Awakening is still the only game to have this.

In fairness, every game since Awakening hasn't had permanently breakable weapons. Fates had merging staves, since those could break, but Echoes and Three Houses didn't have tomes or staves of any kind.

16 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Weapons that that have the same sprite. I'm looking at you Fates.

If there's one thing that disappointed me about Three Houses, it's this. Especially after the amazing sprites in Echoes. Such a minor thing but it makes me mad.