What little things really grind your gears?

49 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Personally, I think that if fast travel is even necessary for a social base camp like this, they dropped the ball. 

It doesn't need to be that big. Give us a war camp the size of what Edelgard gets just before the last chapter of the school phase. Add in a few amenities via a campfire (where the cooking happens), a pond, an armory tent, and a war planning tent. No loading. No instances. No fast travel necessary.

Honestly, I think overdoing the monastery as implemented was a mistake for another reason too: it ties us perpetually to Garreg Mach, which in part 2... gets really weird. At least in Fates the ridiculous spacetime shenanigans surrounding My Castle justified why we could scamper on back to the exact same home base after every single battle. Here it just gets bizarre, but more importantly, it also severely limits what we get to see of the other countries outside of combat.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Etheus said:

Personally, I think that if fast travel is even necessary for a social base camp like this, they dropped the ball. 

It doesn't need to be that big. Give us a war camp the size of what Edelgard gets just before the last chapter of the school phase. Add in a few amenities via a campfire (where the cooking happens), a pond, an armory tent, and a war planning tent. No loading. No instances. No fast travel necessary.

I feel like part of what makes Garreg Mach so interesting is its size, though. I agree that I wish it were easier to traverse later on, but the school as a whole is quite beautiful when you first walk around it. It brings a sense of immersion and allows you to see the scope of the Church's power in a way that nothing else could capture.

21 minutes ago, KevinskyHaaz said:

I feel like part of what makes Garreg Mach so interesting is its size, though. I agree that I wish it were easier to traverse later on, but the school as a whole is quite beautiful when you first walk around it. It brings a sense of immersion and allows you to see the scope of the Church's power in a way that nothing else could capture.

In short, it is something that can only work for the game it debuted in. I don't mind running around the Monastery because I've basically got the path figured out and I don't generally go over dialogues unless its for a quest or something (you get plenty of support points in combat and if you're recruiting them all its probably best saved for a NG+ run anyway since you won't be using them much) That said, if they keep hubs like this in the future, its best if they're kept on the slim side.

3 minutes ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

So if Ike was gay then how does Priam come into the picture?

To be frank, while I think it is great that some people are able to find empowerment in the idea that Ike is a gay protagonist, I personally can't attribute that quality to him. If only because it is entirely out of character for the early 2000's Nintendo.

This is the same Nintendo that didn't include same sex romance options in the franchise until Fates (and did so very sparingly even then), regularly flanderized and mocked gay people with the gay twin bandits archetype (including the tiger bosses in Radiant Dawn), and when asked why gay romance wasn't possible in one of their life simulators (I think it was Tomadatchi Life?), replied that they didn't want to be political.

3 minutes ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

From Mist, who has a paired ending with Boyd. They use the same ambiguous terminology for ancestry with Priam that they use with Marth being a decedent of the hero Anri, and Anri canonically had no children, with Marth being the direct decedent of Anri's brother Marcellus.

Also some things that I hate 

Predatory Cornflakes and Predatory Evil Dragon being able to marry children as well I mean does Chrom not see any red flags with his most trusted tactician marrying his future daughter?

Male Lords taking all the narrative and kind of make the female lord do dumb things just so that the guy can swoop in and save them *cough cough* I'm looking at you Alm  I was happy when Edelgard kind of broke that trend(which is why she's my favorite lord) but then there was the whole TWSITD and I was like my dear Naga please give us a Female Lord who doesn't make dumb decisions.

38 minutes ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

Please just don't open this can of worms. People will argue about this so much it's not even funny.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

From Mist, who has a paired ending with Boyd. They use the same ambiguous terminology for ancestry with Priam that they use with Marth being a decedent of the hero Anri, and Anri canonically had no children, with Marth being the direct decedent of Anri's brother Marcellus.

This is honestly the best explanation I've heard and the most likely, in my opinion, since I don't really envision Ike ever having had children, gay or not.

2 hours ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

Male Lords taking all the narrative and kind of make the female lord do dumb things just so that the guy can swoop in and save them *cough cough* I'm looking at you Alm  I was happy when Edelgard kind of broke that trend(which is why she's my favorite lord) but then there was the whole TWSITD and I was like my dear Naga please give us a Female Lord who doesn't make dumb decisions.

While I by and large agree with this sentiment (we honestly need a game where a female character is the only lord - Tales of Berseria and Nights of Azure have shown us how it's done right), I will say that Celica's actions and decisions throughout acts 3 and 4 were all entirely in-character for her. It's just that she's one of the greatest examples of why subtext and "show, don't tell" are very dangerous things to employ in writing.

And as for Edelgard, you could make the argument that her decisions were the only ones she could have made in her situation.
Spoilers for the people who haven't played Three Houses yet:

She was kept in the dark about a lot of things pertaining the Slither Buddies and the Nabateans, as well as the true history behind Sothis, Nemesis, and Seiros - so was the entire world, until Claude decided to poke around, investigate, and ask very unpleasant questions to the higher-ups (which they only very reluctantly answered, as you might recall from Golden Deer), so it isn't like Edelgard could have easily gained the information if she wanted to.

Additionally, Edelgard didn't have the time nor freedom to do that however because 1) she was constantly being watched by the Slither Buddies' leader Thales posing as her uncle Arundel (who is also most likely responsible for feeding her with misinformation and manipulating her in the first place) and 2) we can infer from Lysithea's backstory that Edelgard's lifespan isn't the longest, so if she wants to see her goal through (which she does, because she is ambitious by nature - hence why I compare her to Cao Cao and/or Nobunaga Oda), she has to act fast, or else she dies before she can see her dreams to fruition. As for why she decided to ally with the Slither Buddies, well... we can make two reasonable assumptions here, fit into two very simple and well known idioms:
1) "Keep your friends close, your enemies closer".
She made it very clear that she didn't condone nor support the methods of the Slither Buddies in Crimson Flower. Her only mistake was openly expressing that when she was posing as the Flame Emperor. By allying with the Slither Buddies, she could observe what they do, eventually find out their methods and crush them with the knowledge she gained by being their ally for a time. Remember Sun Tzu: "if you know your enemy, you need not fear the result of 100 battles". Fighting against someone you know is infinitely easier than fighting someone you don't know. And as we know from the other routes, the Slither Buddies aren't exactly a well known force, with only Seteth and Rhea being privy on them, but not enough to make fighting them any safer than it is otherwise.
2) "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."
The simpler explanation by far. Edelgard and the Slither Buddies share a common enemy in Rhea and the Church. Though both for different reasons, enemies uniting against a common foe has always been a thing in warfare. Allied Forces and Russia during WW2 should ring some bells, I imagine.
Also don't forget that the whole "ally with the Slither Buddies" thing was Hubert's idea, not Edelgard's. Granted, she went along with it, but still.

In any case, these are just my thoughts on the matter. I won't pretend like anything I say here is fact.

6 hours ago, starburst said:

Me too, mate, me too. I cannot stand him either. 😈

Nah, I'm indifferent to him. I'm just sick of people lazily misspelling his name.

On 11/11/2019 at 8:49 AM, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

Oh my goodness, YES. This just REALLY annoys me. Why is it that the female lord is always the one to make a huge mistake, while the male lord is allowed to be perfect? Why is it that Celica has to sob and cry and apologize? And if she's not "incompetent" or if she doesn't make a "stupid mistake", she's less relevant to the story (Lyn).

And also, why does it seem that female characters are sometimes not allowed to have Legendary weapons? Lyn wasn't allowed one, despite being a Lord. All the brothers in Fates got Legendary weapons, but the older sisters didn't? Why couldn't they have Legendary weapons over the younger brothers?

Anyway, here's one thing that grinds my gears: the apparent...female butt fetish present in Fates. Why is it that female armored knights..female mounted knights...are disallowed pants? WHY?

One last thing: When it just seems like...so many people misunderstand some of the characters. Calling them idiots or spineless cowards. But one of my favorite characters in Fire Emblem is constantly called this so don't mind me I'm just salty I suppose.

Can I just step in here to say that Celica is probably the best character from her game cause she really is. Despite how the narrative treats her, she’s arguably the most nuanced and relatable character in SoV’s story simply because she’s allowed to make mistakes and in a vacuum her arc actually works really well as a stand-alone story with a few minor adjustments anyway. Unfortunately, She doesn’t exist in a vacuum. She exists in a story where Alm and Conrad exist. The story is too busy sucking Alm’s dick to really see how both he and Conrad make Celica look far dumber than she actually is.

Like there are just so many instances where Conrad blatantly tells her not to do shit because it would be dangerous and she has no reason to not trust him(considering he’s saved her life not too long ago). But she goes and does it anyway because girls aren’t allowed to be smart in this story and make genuine mistakes that feel like their own and arise naturally from deep rooted flaws of their character. Oh no, they have to be idiots that don’t listen to the men obviously trying to help them because of petty bullshit that makes very little sense. Ugh this story makes me angrier than it reasonably should.

It bothers me that a lot of C supports sound the same, often highlighting some flaw or extreme personality a character has. The path of these supports usually works towards them overcoming or confronting a flawed part of themselves but when you're playing the game, you're bombarded with a wave of C supports, aka the character at their worst, and first impressions really do make a difference. Look at how many supports Lysithea has that make her look like a brat (or worse) to start with.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:53 AM, Flere210 said:

The worst thing is the Char cosplayer wasn't even in the original.  They went out of their way to make their game more sexist. In the current year.

Sexist? Really? I'm sorry but is this a joke?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 11:41 AM, PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld said:

Bold of you to assume that Priam is anything more than an Ike-fanboying murder hobo who forged a throwing sword and called it Ragnell.

On 11/17/2019 at 12:21 AM, spiderbrush said:

Oh my goodness, YES. This just REALLY annoys me. Why is it that the female lord is always the one to make a huge mistake, while the male lord is allowed to be perfect? Why is it that Celica has to sob and cry and apologize? And if she's not "incompetent" or if she doesn't make a "stupid mistake", she's less relevant to the story (Lyn).

And also, why does it seem that female characters are sometimes not allowed to have Legendary weapons? Lyn wasn't allowed one, despite being a Lord. All the brothers in Fates got Legendary weapons, but the older sisters didn't? Why couldn't they have Legendary weapons over the younger brothers?

Anyway, here's one thing that grinds my gears: the apparent...female butt fetish present in Fates. Why is it that female armored knights..female mounted knights...are disallowed pants? WHY?

One last thing: When it just seems like...so many people misunderstand some of the characters. Calling them idiots or spineless cowards. But one of my favorite characters in Fire Emblem is constantly called this so don't mind me I'm just salty I suppose.

Celica and Mae were my favorite characters in the whole thing, but the story kind of treats Celica like crap for anything she does. I really wish it had been broken into two stories or something in the remake so that you played them separately with minimal involvement from the other. It would have probably helped some.