Pokémon Sword and Shield Spoiler Discussion

Lightchao42

Flame me if you want, but…I’m still okay with buying this. Yea, the number kinda…sucks, but there’s still way more to the game than meets the eye. The expansive world, the Gym Battles, the CurryDex, the camping, etc.

If you still don’t wanna buy it, I’m completely okay with that. I just prefer not to go by Pokédex alone in this case.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

As a someone who plays competitive Pokémon, Dexit might have also have been a way to lower the powercreep. Pokemon like Landorus-T, Incineroar, Salamence, and Garchomp have been dominating VGC for some time now, and Dexit seems to be an easy way to give other Pokémon the spotlight. 

They did use that as an excuse already but it doesn't even make sense. Slakoth is a prime example of someone who would have benefited from this spotlight thanks to the new galarian weezing and he's not even in. Less moves to obtain through breeding too now with Smeargle gone. The cut doesn't benefit anything, not even competitive. Plus, they can just make rules to exclude pokemon or certain team combinations instead of excluding them from the game entirely.

Just now, Perkilator said:

Flame me if you want, but…I’m still okay with buying this. Yea, the number kinda…sucks, but there’s still way more to the game than meets the eye. The expansive world, the Gym Battles, the CurryDex, the camping, etc.

If you still don’t wanna buy it, I’m completely okay with that. I just prefer not to go by Pokédex alone in this case.

I’m buying this game too. I’m looking forward to playing  a metagame  without Landorus-T and Salamence.

1 minute ago, Perkilator said:

Again, that's the worst part. There are so many good things in this game, so many exciting things. But that just makes these flaws stand out all the more.

9 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Maybe I am being a bit hasty. There are still several things I like about the games so far. I might still get them anyway...I'd have to if I want to mainly play Sword but also use Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash (it's Shield exclusive). I don't know about getting them on launch anymore though.

I suppose, while I at least look at some positives about the game, I should mention the team that I'm leaning towards.

Cinderace/Coalossal, Corviknight, Grimmsnarl, Frosmoth, Flapple/Appletun, Dredgnaw

Oh team building is fun. I'm currently looking at something like Raboot/Toxtricity/Obstagoon/Grimmsnarl/Purrserker/Bolthund. Might actually kick out starter for something else though but I'll have to see stats and moves of other potential candidates first.

The way I see it 400 Pokemon is not ideal. I get that the list of pokemon keeps increasing and that its hard to just carry over everything indefinitely. Still all Pokemon being able to be carried over has been part of Pokemon for a long time. Suddenly yanking that away doesn't feel right.

Still for me its not a dealbreaker. Its a negative, but I am seeing plenty of new Pokemon I like and some old mons that I haven't used about.

I'm more worried about the forced EXP share. It doesn't have to be a problem, but it can be a big one. Being forcefully overleveled all game would be something i'm not looking forward for.

1 minute ago, Sasori said:

I'm more worried about the forced EXP share. It doesn't have to be a problem, but it can be a big one. Being forcefully overleveled all game would be something i'm not looking forward for.

I'm more worried about E.V.s. Does it still spread those around?

1 hour ago, Dai said:

B) I think the only way these games are going to improve are if they're pried from GameFreak's cold, unforgiving clutches. Personally, I'd like Square Enix to handle these games. If Game Freak has to be involved, give them a major backseat. Maybe let them design characters, monsters, and story, but don't touch ANYTHING else.

WHY? I hope you mean the Enix-DQ half of the name, because its a sick joke if you mean to give them to Square. Albeit I'm unfamiliar with Square's recent record outside its grandiose ambitious projects, though I've heard XIV is good.

LTH I've seen 7/10 as the usual reviews for, so it isn't that bad probably. Still, nothing great either that'd likely mean.

Unless endgame like the elite 4 are gonna have pokemon at level 90 exp share is gonna snap the game half.

2 minutes ago, Dai said:

I'm more worried about E.V.s. Does it still spread those around?

I'm also worried about that. I don't think we have any confirmed information about that yet though but I'm betting it will.

While I'm sympathetic towards people who had their favorites cut (Volcarona is absent and its one of my favorites) and the cut is most likely due to Game Freak's general mismanagement, I think the backlash is overblown since I doubt most people complaining were planning on using all of their favorites if they were included. I understand if people don't want to get the game because of it, but I want to see what Pokémon Home is like before I judge anything since I like all of the new Pokémon.

(Though I'll say that Charizard being the only Kanto starter to get in is a legitimate grievance.)

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

WHY? I hope you mean the Enix-DQ half of the name, because its a sick joke if you mean to give them to Square. Albeit I'm unfamiliar with Square's recent record outside its grandiose ambitious projects, though I've heard XIV is good.

The Dragon Quest/Monsters side of things, yes.

Major Rival/Champion/Postgame battle spoilers

Spoiler

EIjBhXPVAAA7Rzc?format=jpg&name=small

I hope it’s fake.

2 minutes ago, Dai said:

Hide contents

I hope it’s fake.

Wow, permanent exp share and the final battle will consist of only 4 pokemon that are level 53? RIP difficulty.

Not surprised by the postgame content at all. Or lack thereof really.

7 minutes ago, Dai said:

Reveal hidden contents

I hope it’s fake.

Yikes. That really does not sound reassuring. I'm also hoping thats a fake. Fewer pokemon on big trainers implies we're going back to X/Y difficulty and the low levels don't do much to make me think differently.

Edited by Sasori

4 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

While I'm sympathetic towards people who had their favorites cut (Volcarona is absent and its one of my favorites) and the cut is most likely due to Game Freak's general mismanagement, I think the backlash is overblown since I doubt most people complaining were planning on using all of their favorites if they were included. I understand if people don't want to get the game because of it, but I want to see what Pokémon Home is like before I judge anything since I like all of the new Pokémon.

(Though I'll say that Charizard being the only Kanto starter to get in is a legitimate grievance.)

I've seen this argument so many times and I don't understand it. 60% of pokémons were cut. There's a chance that some people lost out on all of their favorites. There's also the fact that out of the top 100 most popular pokémon only 23 got in 

and @Dai  also pointed out a good tweet in this thread:

"ffs lets be real either the leaks are fake, or theres a launch day patch, theres no way that the big console debut of the biggest franchise has only 14 more pokemon than a gameboy advanced game, right? no way the first ds game has93 more pokemon than the first switch one. Right?!"

---

If anything this backlash should have happened a long time ago. GF cuts stuff every generation and now they finally went too far for the a lot of people in the pokémon fandom. Don't forget that GF is a corporation that wants your money, they're not your friend and a good backlash can help them realize that getting better games might be a good thing.

3 minutes ago, Sasori said:

Yikes. That really does not sound reassuring. I'm also hoping thats a fake. Fewer pokemon on big trainers implies we're going back to X/Y difficulty and the low levels don't do much to make me think differently.

XY can be hard. If you turn off exp share. And use something like Kecleon.

Can't turn off exp share but pokemon like Hoothoot and Delibird will probably hinder you enough to where you'll think it's off

19 minutes ago, Dai said:

Reveal hidden contents

I hope it’s fake.

Wow, yeah, I hope that's fake too. Any previous Pokemon game had a better post-game than this. Difficulty, I don't really complain too much on unless something is absurdly difficult. Even if it's easy, easy =/= not fun to me.

Edited by Anacybele

Is game freak still using the same staff from the beginning? That might be the problem. When Mario and Zelda got some new blood in them and the older staff took a step back, breath of the wild and odyssey were ridiculously successful and still really good (kink’s and flaws aside) with the former having a sequel for the series’ first time in a decade. Game Freak needs to do the same.

9 minutes ago, Dai said:

Is game freak still using the same staff from the beginning? That might be the problem. When Mario and Zelda got some new blood in them and the older staff took a step back, breath of the wild and odyssey were ridiculously successful and still really good (kink’s and flaws aside) with the former having a sequel for the series’ first time in a decade. Game Freak needs to do the same.

They are Masuda and Sugimori are still working on these games since Red and Green, and Masuda only stopped directing after Let’s Go.

11 minutes ago, Dai said:

That could be it.

Though I still think BotW has one major flaw, that being the small number of actual dungeons, and the dungeons that are there not being all that spectacular. I do hope the sequel has more real dungeons.

52 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually, Square might actually be a good idea. The one thing that remains consistent between all their game is just how good they are on the technical side. Final Fantasy 13 was a mistake but on a technical side, the game isn't bad at all.

53 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Unless endgame like the elite 4 are gonna have pokemon at level 90 exp share is gonna snap the game half.

If it isn't balanced. I feel like Gen 6 just gave the EXP Share a bad rep because of how unbalanced it was. What people forget was that Gen 6 was braindead easy even without it.

I'm glad forced EXP Share is a thing personally. That's a basic feature JRPGs have been doing for decades. It's about time Pokemon started doing it too.

1 hour ago, Dai said:

Again, that's the worst part. There are so many good things in this game, so many exciting things. But that just makes these flaws stand out all the more.

That's how i feel about Sword and Shield. There's so much cool stuff in it.......and yet the Dexit genuianly is a dealbreaker. I've looked at the list. Like 80% of my favorites are gone. 

51 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Charizard, along with Mew being the only non-Galar legendary in the game (Mewtwo's not in, really?) actually upsets me. If you're gonna cut the starters and legendaries, go all the way. The Kanto pandering in this game isn't anywhere near as blatant as it was in Gens 6 and 7 but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

38 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

If anything this backlash should have happened a long time ago. GF cuts stuff every generation and now they finally went too far for the a lot of people in the pokémon fandom. Don't forget that GF is a corporation that wants your money, they're not your friend and a good backlash can help them realize that getting better games might be a good thing.

It's Pokemon. Even with the current controversy, Sword and Shield will still sell millions. Pokemon will still be the best selling video game franchise of all time. Like you said, Game Freak wants money. They're going to get money, regardless of how people feel about these games. Unless a mainline Pokemon game bombs (it won't, franchise is way too big for that), nothing will really change.