Pokémon Sword and Shield Spoiler Discussion

Lightchao42

Meanwhile me as a kid went catching lvl70 legendaries with lvl40-50 Team and had to fight using everything i have and be smart. What the flying fuck gamefreak?

Edited by Shrimperor

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's such a shame these games are shapping up to become so pitiable, lame and lazy. I legit love the design of the new pokemon, but what's that good for if the games they're tied to are so lame?

Edited by Nobody

49 minutes ago, Dai said:

I was originally gonna rate this a "Sonic Forces" level. Some neat ideas with underwhelming execution, unnecessary pandering, a bit too easy, and not as graphically good as previous games...but JESUS, at least Sonic Forces has better merit than this.

Yeah that, and also that Sonic Forces was not only never $60 but nowadays you can get for like around $20 at most.

Oh and since this is my first time actually posting in this topic, I might as well share where I stand with this game. A copy of Shield was pre-ordered for me for my birthday, but let's just say I'm also very glad I did not spend any of own money which I don't have at this point anyways, but regardless for this. Perhaps I'll still get some enjoyment out of Shield, but if not I can just play through the Spyro trilogy for a third time certainly have plenty of other games for my Switch.

Regardless, I definitely don't look like how Pokemon's future is looking right now.

Well I must say, the exclusion of the GTS and the stupid catching restrictions have finally broken me down. I am very sad to say that these will be the first pokemon games I won't be playing since my brother gifted me Pokemon Gold. It's incredibly sad to see these games go downhill so hard, especially since I've always loved pokemon so much... I suppose I'll just have to hope that they end up turning this around so I can get back into the games next gen!

26 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Yeah that, and also that Sonic Forces was not only never $60 but nowadays you can get for like around $20 at most.

Yup, that was a 40 dollar game at launch and all the DLC was free too, though to be fair it wasn't much in the way of content. At some point in development Sega must have had an attack of conscience and decided they ought to charge less for an inferior product.

7 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Imo they just need to abbandon the 1 game per year model.

VG247: The last few years you’ve sort of been doing one of these big games every year – Pokemon has practically been a yearly series. Is that something you plan to continue with?

Junichi Masuda: The first thing that’s kind of important in deciding the future direction is releasing Sword & Shield, it’s seeing the response to that. That’s an important part of where we go in the future. So it’s not necessarily that we’re looking always to release every single year, but each time we go into making a new game and start a new project we look at what exactly we want to create – and then from where we decide the most appropriate timing to release it depending on various factors.

One thing that we always want to keep in mind going forwards is that we want as many people to come in contact with and play Pokemon as possible. We’ve obviously got a lot of long-time fans who have loved the series for a long time, and we definitely want to keep making games that they love. At the same time we always want to draw in new players and make games that are accessible to them. So that’s a really important thing we consider when starting a new project.

https://www.vg247.com/2019/10/24/pokemon-sword-shield-interview-no-regrets-national-dex/

Emphasis added by myself.

AKA- there is no yearly game model at work, officially.

But de facto is a different matter, and either way a Pokemon Gen should last as long as one Console Gen. Well, maybe two PokeGens, I'm not sure how reasonable/unreasonable two per Console Gen is. Was it "scummy" with either 4-5, or 6-7?

2 hours ago, Dai said:

EJDPtDqXUAEzhfj?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I have watched no footage of SwSh, and wow this is terrible! I cannot seriously believe that a lite-gameplay spinoff has detailed backgrounds while the mainline game is stuck with colored dimensional voids.

I mean, one of the other things you included show actual detailed backgrounds in that Chinchou battle, but that doesn't excuse the above images.

The empty backgrounds worked in the GB/GBA games because of technical limitations. They were fairly fine in the DS games (the last I played), because small DS screens don't have much room, too much detail could clutter them. But on a Switch, especially docked, but undocked as well, the utter lack of backgrounds makes things fell bizarrely empty, unreal, and unfinished even. Now there is plenty of screen space and the technology has come far enough that it can and should be filled in with vibrant detail, always.

2 minutes ago, Dai said:

Truly beautiful.

The trainers were just being concerned for their safety as the fireballs came their way, and thus activated their Phase Transitioning Devices to escape to another plane where they could observe, but not be harmed.

I wonder how the inevitable Sinnoh remakes are progressing, and how they'll turn out. They're going to be a thin silver lining better in a sense b/c they'll add to the Switch a few more of the missing hundreds of Pokes.

But at this rate, even if Game Freak has an internal moment where they've realized they messed up big time, I don't think Diamond and Pearl can salvage this Gen. Maybe they'll be a step better, but it's probably too late to do more than that, DP can't unscramble Dexit. DP can remove some of these wackier SwSh changes like Exp Share and the catch level limit, and maybe be technically if not smooth, then less rocky.

I'm not even sure how much SwSh2 could do, must all wait on the next Gen for the desperate hope of paradisal improvement?

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

mean, one of the other things you included show actual detailed backgrounds in that Chinchou battle, but that doesn't excuse the above images.

And there it is. That’s the biggest problem with the game as a whole. It is MASSIVELY inconsistent.

Haven't been keeping up with the streams all that much but I started watching the new one a while ago and

Wild pokemon are at a higher level than the trainers of the same route.

Gym 7 didn't even have Dynamaxing

5 minutes between Gym 7 and 8

Gym 8 is just an empty room with 3 trainers and the Gym leader. No puzzles. It isn't even a gauntlet. You can heal between each battle. They couldn't even bother to do a proper gym for the last one.

Edit: lol, I only just realized the last gym leader was a dragon type trainer but only had one dragon in his team.

Oh, and I guess the timeframe for getting all 8 gym badges is between 14 to 15 hours. Maybe even less.

Edit2: hope someone got a clip of Inteleon eating from its empty hand.

Edit3: galar really is just a line. Every route is just a corridor. Even victory road was just a straight line with a few trainers sprinkled in.

Edit4: Gigantamax is such a joke. One-shot giga Grimmsnarl with normal Falinks. Glad we traded megas and z-moves for it.

Edit5: you get a break after fighting just Marnie and Hop in the league to do some bad filler.

Edit6:

Healed just to get one shot lol

Also, just riding an elevator with Hop battling nobodies as generic happy music plays before getting to the champion I guess.

Side note: gah I hate the crap website streamer is on. I wanna see the trainwreck

Edit7: took forever to get back in stream but random filler is over I guess and now battling Bede in the league. You can't even see the head of Dynamax Inteleon. Reminds me of those faceless adults in cartoons T_T

Edited by NegativeExponents-

Excuse my double post but this is unrelated to stream. The game has finally been dumped and the files show that only the pokemon that made the cut exist within the code.

There's no data of any of the cut pokemon.

Never mind:

1573479998959.png

What? It's still not all of them and there's repeat sprites but that's definitely more than just the galar dex.

Also thanks for Gigantamax Toxtricity. The one good thing that came from SwSh

Edit: btw, that updated Sprite sheet doesn't necessarily mean they are in the game. Models have yet to be found.

Also, here's a list of cut moves

https://pastebin.com/3FTfUgzd

39 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Excuse my double post but this is unrelated to stream. The game has finally been dumped and the files show that only the pokemon that made the cut exist within the code.

Never mind:

1573479998959.png

What? It's still not all of them and there's repeat sprites but that's definitely more than just the galar dex.

Edit: btw, that updated Sprite sheet doesn't necessarily mean they are in the game. Models have yet to be found.

Dynamax Snorlax is the funniest fuckin’ thing.

Izzat a Dynamax Melmetal,?

3 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

more datamine info

I think it is. Looks dope honestly. Too bad you probably shouldn't get attached to it.

I don’t have one anyway.

At least I was wrong about them leaving in the Pokemon, and if there’s a cap on ‘Mon, it seems unlikely that hacking will be able to do much unless they can add slots.

Still a shame that this game is looking worse than Final Hallway XIII. May as well call ‘em Pokémon Hall and Pokémon Way.

1 minute ago, Dai said:

Still a shame that this game is looking worse than Final Hallway XIII. May as well call ‘em Pokémon Hall and Pokémon Way.

If I'd had played the $5 used copy of FFXIII I got last year, I'd have joked it's better than SwSh. Maybe something about FF always having excellent technical-graphical presentation for its time?

And remember, besides two ~7/10 sequels, FFXIII was followed by the original version of FFXIV, which was apparently so bad, that Square had to shut it down and rebuild the entire thing from the ground up as XIV: A Realm Reborn. Yet even when that, so I hear, has gone well, Versus XIII/XV sunk the franchise down again in some ways.

Junchi Masuda still has time to end his PokeLegacy on a high note though, the guy is only 51. And Tetsuya Nomura is only 49, but I think he is a lost cause.

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Never mind:

1573479998959.png

Why does it look like Farfetch’d has a Galarian form? I haven’t seen a model for it.

19 minutes ago, Dai said:

At least I was wrong about them leaving in the Pokemon, and if there’s a cap on ‘Mon, it seems unlikely that hacking will be able to do much unless they can add slots.

Yeah that sucks. If this was a sprite game it wouldn't be a problem even if the data wasn't there but models are gonna be impossible to get by.

Was really hoping they'd be there so someone would hack them back in

Edit: that's because farfetched does have a galarian form. It looks almost identical to its original though.

3 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Yeah that sucks. If this was a sprite game it wouldn't be a problem even if the data wasn't there but models are gonna be impossible to get by.

Was really hoping they'd be there so someone would hack them back in

Edit: that's because farfetched does have a galarian form. It looks almost identical to its original though.

Aside from the leak being huge, I guess...yay.

List of Snapped Pokemon moves

It seems Pokemon weren't the only things to get affected by the Snap. Moves got hit too. Granted, like 50% of them are Z-Moves and the other 50% are relatively weak moves. But some competitively viable moves like Pursuit and Hidden Power got the axe.

Intrestignly enough, a lot of signature moves weren't removed. For example, Roar of Time is still in the game's data even though Dialga was cut. My guess is that this is for Metronome shenangians.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

List of Snapped Pokemon moves

It seems Pokemon weren't the only things to get affected by the Snap. Moves got hit too. Granted, like 50% of them are Z-Moves and the other 50% are relatively weak moves. But some competitively viable moves like Pursuit and Hidden Power got the axe.

Intrestignly enough, a lot of signature moves weren't removed. For example, Roar of Time is still in the game's data even though Dialga was cut. My guess is that this is for Metronome shenangians.

No Return? No point having happy Pokemon. Time to make them miserable as hell. And since no Hidden Power, all we need to worry about now about IVs are 0 Spd and Atk.

Speaking of disappointments...

EJGliIvXkAEdvXB?format=jpg&name=large

EJGliIuWwAA3vtV?format=png&name=900x900

EJGnaVxWoAEI-Yw?format=png&name=small

Good lord, dude. Why have sizes at all? It looks even SMALLER!

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It seems Pokemon weren't the only things to get affected by the Snap.

Snap? This is Pokemon Snap 2? Finally! Thanks to the Switch's screenshot feature, I think it's turning out to be that way, albeit with the undesired subtitle Pokemon Snap 2: Sword and Shield: Bloody Hell.

-But seriously, if you transfer Pokemon to SwSh, they'll be permanently forced to delete some moves? That is awful and makes it even less desirable to transfer over to this game. 

"Customs and Border Border Enforcement! We'll look you over for any contraband techniques. Mud Bomb we see? You'll have to get rid of it, now."

"No! My dead momma taught it to me, it was the last thing she devoted herself to."

"Won't cooperate? Summon Uxie and at once, and Tentacruel to bind them as well. Now, look straight ahead, eyes wide open and try to forget."

"Noooo! I won't I won't I won't! Nooooooooooooooo!"

"Forget! Forget! Forget! Forget!" (In a monotone cult-like voice.) *Tentacruel forces the eyelids open and the victim stares directly into Uxie's pupils*

22 minutes ago, Dai said:

No Return? No point having happy Pokemon. Time to make them miserable as hell.

But there is no Frustration either. They can give voice to neither joy nor anguish. British stereotypical aloofness must be the order of the day, where any showing emotion is... not proper.🧐

7 minutes ago, Dai said:

Good lord, dude. Why have sizes at all? It looks even SMALLER!

Dexit has led to a severe food shortage in Galar. Little Wailmers are unable to get enough to eat, thus leading to their evolution being stunted when they finally become Wailords.

The poor Poke didn't deserve this treatment.

And Sirfetched, which was revealed like a month ago, was a fine gift to an underpowered/plain Pokemon, even if it ended up being a drop of Kanto pandering.

2 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

there's repeat sprites but that's definitely more than just the galar dex.

One thing to note here is the pokemon with repeated sprites are all pokemon with gender differences, although none of the gender differences are visible on the sprites (and eevee is especially odd, as only the partner eevee from let's go has a gender difference).

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This is getting better by the second..

Seriously, how can anyone to be pissed off and excited for this? I can't understand that.

Edited by Shrimperor

Clearly i missed some shit

On 11/8/2019 at 4:11 AM, NegativeExponents- said:

Leaker has been posting screenshots of the ingame areas

Reveal hidden contents

5rO7QA1.png

ReiABp3.png

X3CLoh5.png

98r5zQn.png

czIhyjX.png

JZmQBsN.png

zmnHyXD.png 

Besides the graphics still looking like a 3DS game, all the areas are just big but completely empty. Subpar graphics is one thing but this barren wasteland to go alongside it just makes it worse.

Ooof.

And just to confirm, this is when playing docked right? Or is this handheld?

It's hard for me to even blame Pokemon's yearly release schedule. I'm gonna compare two yearly release games here: Pokemon and Atelier. Specifically, i'll be comparing the latest installment of each one. One is the biggest video game franchise in the world. The other is a pretty niche series.

xnJayGf.png

EJGuPlpUYAEkW_m?format=jpg&name=large

Gust pumps out an Atelier game each year because will the company will die if they don't but they still put actual effort into thier games. Pokemon is a garuanteed million seller and Game Freak doesn't seem to put much effort because of it. It wasn't always that way though. B2W2 was the peak, Pokemon slowly went downhill after that and then a sharp decline in quality after USUM.

On 11/10/2019 at 6:29 AM, Dai said:

Japan only just found out that Pokemon were being cut through leaks. GameFreak didn’t even tell them.

Japan wasn't aware of the whole National Dex thing? The controversy was exclusively limited to the West?

15 hours ago, Dai said:

EJDPtDqXUAEzhfj?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Aight this one's misleading because there are definitly battles with backgrounds. I know there's a quality problem with Sword and Shield but this one is just false.

On 11/10/2019 at 10:31 AM, NegativeExponents- said:

can't skip the catching tutorial like they said so that was a lie,

Damn, i really thought they finally learned.

15 hours ago, Dai said:

EJDYix8UwAAx3j_?format=jpg&name=900x900

But.....but why though. Like, we knew that Wild Area Pokemon were gonna be higher leveled and you wouldn't be able to catch them right away but i assumed it was just for Wild Area only and only for Pokemon that were like 10-20 levels higher than you. This looks likes it's for the entire game and the threshold isn't even that high either. I'm guessing the streamer just got the second Gym Badge. Lv.28, c'mon now. You're Pokemon will be above that level anyway, so this seems really weird to me.

38 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-But seriously, if you transfer Pokemon to SwSh, they'll be permanently forced to delete some moves? That is awful and makes it even less desirable to transfer over to this game.

Exactly. Pokemon Home seems to be super not worth it because not only is it basically Purgatory for Pokemon, with only a select few being able to enter Heaven each game but even the ones who do get to enter may be forced to leave some moves behind. Game Freak already said they are contiuing this model for Pokemon so who knows if they'll also cut and rotate moves each game.

Edited by Armagon

On 11/10/2019 at 12:29 PM, Dai said:

Edit: Forgot to mention, Japan only just found out that Pokemon were being cut through leaks. GameFreak didn’t even tell them.

That's really more a case of the Japanese fans being kinda ignorant. Pokemon being cut was already announced during E3, the largest gaming event out there. How much more public did the Japanese fans need that info to be? 

...Well, glad I came in here to bring some good news.

https://nintendosoup.com/rumor-additional-pokemon-beyond-galar-dex-discovered-in-pokemon-sword-and-shield-code/

THERE ARE MORE POKEMON BEYOND THE GALAR DEX FOR THE POST-GAME.

Not a whole lot. Just an additional 33. But these include legendaries and some starters. PRIMARINA. ❤️ I can have both forms of Rapidash AND Keldeo! I'll be missing Zebstrika still, but I can have all the horses and our legendary pony at least! I'm satisfied. 😄

Edited by Anacybele