Pokémon Sword and Shield Spoiler Discussion

Lightchao42

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

tbf, train rides take time. Maybe it's a turtle train?

Also, ''looking absolutely incredible'' wtf? Really, shofu?

Okay, I know how it looks. But, according to some of the comments from that tweet, ANYTIME HE SAYS THAT, there's ALWAYS a catch.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I've also heard things about the day/night cycle being fucked up. Something like it needs internet for it to work or it being different in each area or whatever. I haven't seen any convincing proof of it yet but if it's true then how the hell did GF manage to screw something as basic as time cycles?! Even Gold/Silver could do it no problem.

What the fu-. EVEN I COULD PROGRAM DAY/NIGHT CYCLES! HOW DO YOU MESS THAT UP?!

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but Aegislash had its stats nerfed; Blade Forme has 140 in both offense stats instead of 150, and likewise Shield Forme has 140 defenses.

On another interesting note, location based evolutions seem to be gone. Eevee evolves into Leafeon and Glaceon via Leaf/Ice Stone (though Espeon, Umbreon, and Sylveon keep their normal methods), and Charjabug evolves with a Thunder Stone. The Unova Pokémon keep their absurdly high evolution levels though. You can find the stats and evolution methods of all the included Pokémon here.

Lastly, Gardevoir and its evolutionary relatives are now in the Humanlike egg group. Why did they change it now? Who knows! Though Nidorina and Nidoqueen aren't in, so I can't complain about them still being unable to breed for no apparent reason.

Edited by Lightchao42

Biggest media franchise of all time btw.

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

There's also move tutors who let them get past the 100 TM limit in the past, though my poke-friends inform me they only show up in third version/sequel games? 

It depended on the type of move tutor. Move tutors that tought the elemental Hyper Beams to the Starters and the Draco Meteor move tutor were avaliable all the time.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Also, ''looking absolutely incredible'' wtf? Really, shofu?

As mentioned before, there's always a catch with Shofu. Plus, he's already taken shots at SwSh. In one Tweet from Nintendo of America, it said "what are you looking forward to the most in the Wild Area?" Shofu quote Tweeted it with "frame drops".

I think he has said that he's still looking forward to the game but that won't stop him from making fun of it.

37 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I deadass don't know how. I guess they wanted to stop people from simply changing the day/night cycle to cheat on certain things but they never concerned themselves with that before.

40 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I mean this wouldn’t be the first time day/night has been omitted from a pokemon game or need I remind you of generation 3. Hell this isn’t the first time the whole natdex thing has happened either. The first time this happened was way back with you guessed it gen 3. Y’see the more I learn about SWSH the more I’m convinced it’s just gen 3 all over again in that they’re trying to soft reboot the franchise.

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I mean this wouldn’t be the first time day/night has been omitted from a pokemon game or need I remind you of generation 3.

It doesn't look like it's being omitted. More like it requires an Internet connection to work properly.

Just now, Ottservia said:

Hell this isn’t the first time the whole natdex thing has happened either. The first time this happened was way back with you guessed it gen 3.

In the case of Gen 3, it was because the technology needed to transfer between two different systems wasn't there. And even then, Gen 3 still had all the Pokemon in the code and then FR/LG came out so people could obtain older Pokemon.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

It doesn't look like it's being omitted. More like it requires an Internet connection to work properly.

In the case of Gen 3, it was because the technology needed to transfer between two different systems wasn't there. And even then, Gen 3 still had all the Pokemon in the code and then FR/LG came out so people could obtain older Pokemon.

fair enough but still the similarities between the two situations are pretty apparent. Again, I think they're trying to reboot the franchise again

On the topic of Pokemon that were part of the additional 35, they interestingly enough have Pokedex entries, but lack a number. 

Cobalion: This Pokémon appears in a legend alongside Terrakion and Virizion, fighting against humans in defense of the Unova region’s Pokémon.

Kyurem: Dwelling within it is a power even greater than that of Reshiram or Zekrom, but the extreme cold keeps that power bound.

Kyurem now learns Freeze-Dry and Sheer Cold via level up. I'm 99.9 % sure these Pokemon exist in the game, and if they can't be caught, they can be transferred.

I'm gonna guess this is gonna be the norm: Have a handful of Starters, Legendaries, and Mythicals in every game because of Dexit. 

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Getting one of those in Gen 1 was  100,000 poke dollars - about half the money you made outside of the elite four in a single playthrough, and it was a highly sought after move.

The days when Hyper Beam was good. When high-powered moves were rare, and KOing the enemy Pokemon with Hyper Beam gave it a recharge so you could shoot it again right away, except in Stadium. And, you could apparently glitch it to 63 PP if you found an enemy with Wrap you couldn't OHKO. -According to Bulbapedia.

As for reboots, wasn't that kinda what Gen 5 was going to be in a way? B&W1 had only Unovan natives in the maingame. Not that that would be possible using only Galarian Pokes I guess.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for reboots, wasn't that kinda what Gen 5 was going to be in a way? B&W1 had only Unovan natives in the maingame. Not that that would be possible using only Galarian Pokes I guess.

I think the point of Black and White was to emulate Gen I in that every Pokémon encountered before the final boss was new, but you could still transfer any previous Pokémon to those games. Gen VI was the time when Gen I nostalgia and "new battle mechanics that get dropped the next generation" (i.e. Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, etc.) started getting pushed, so make of that what you will.

Considering you could catch wild Gen I-IV Pokémon in the post-game, it truly really only applied to the main adventure.

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

I mean this wouldn’t be the first time day/night has been omitted from a pokemon game or need I remind you of generation 3.

Actually, the Hoenn games, at least, still had a clock system. It's true it wasn't as complex as what Gen II did (best I remember, it only affected berry growth, the tide at Shoal Cave, the Lilycove Department Store having special sales at the roof, the matching condition for Mirage Island, Eevee could still evolve to Espeon and Umbreon... and I think there was some sort of lottery that checked your Trainer ID for matching numbers that ran once a day), but it was there.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Quick thought on new pokemon

Zacian and Zamazenta is freaking insane thanks to their ability. Hits like freight train, really fast, and their ability make them get even crazier. Their typing almost made them "dead on arrival" for mix dex(whenever it came back) but for galar dex they seem unmatched, albeit you can PROBABLY check it with Aegislash.

The starter are all seemingly solid. Inteleon being the weakest for being "just a fast water". Not feeling the fire starter much. Rilla looks real good. I'm not sure how the other starter would be but Rilla is one i think is a definite lock on OU in some way or another, particularly for being a good check towards the Tyranitar team that i expect would be huge. On a related note theres one other fast water mon which again "just a fast water" so its not much to discuss there

Corviknight actually have BETTER OVERALL BULK than Skarmory but its lack of Roost feels eh. lacking passive threat as well so its mostly a U turn mon

Dragon steel have ok movepool but feels like its missing a thing or two to make it to be perfectly awesome

The rest of the mon ranges between eh to "not seeing it to be too good much"

New buff wise,

Gyarados is funny, Gyara usually is good in early stages of meta but fall off as time goes on, and it get Power Whip so it have new option to flex with.

Tyranitar getting Heavy Slam seems pretty scary since its prety heavy iirc, for example it procs the maximum value against Clefable.

Snorlax got Heavy Slam. Unsure where it would be used though

Nasty Plot Gengar and Hydreigon means they can do some wallbreaking meme

Hawlucha getting Brave Bird and Close Combat is funny. It will brick against Aegislash still though

Close Combat Aegis but its best move and best set is likely still the Shadow Ball set and Sub Toxic so its not worth much besides "hey it got CC cool". Aegislash just wasnt a good physical attacker compared to how monstrous its special attacking set are and i dont think Galar dex changes that much

Incineroar got PArting Shot. Idk why a pokemon with literally 80% use rate that is used in almost, if not every top 32 or top 16 got a buff this huge but that happened

1 hour ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Quick thought on new pokemon

Zacian and Zamazenta is freaking insane thanks to their ability. Hits like freight train, really fast, and their ability make them get even crazier. Their typing almost made them "dead on arrival" for mix dex(whenever it came back) but for galar dex they seem unmatched, albeit you can PROBABLY check it with Aegislash.

The starter are all seemingly solid. Inteleon being the weakest for being "just a fast water". Not feeling the fire starter much. Rilla looks real good. I'm not sure how the other starter would be but Rilla is one i think is a definite lock on OU in some way or another, particularly for being a good check towards the Tyranitar team that i expect would be huge. On a related note theres one other fast water mon which again "just a fast water" so its not much to discuss there

Corviknight actually have BETTER OVERALL BULK than Skarmory but its lack of Roost feels eh. lacking passive threat as well so its mostly a U turn mon

Dragon steel have ok movepool but feels like its missing a thing or two to make it to be perfectly awesome

The rest of the mon ranges between eh to "not seeing it to be too good much"

New buff wise,

Gyarados is funny, Gyara usually is good in early stages of meta but fall off as time goes on, and it get Power Whip so it have new option to flex with.

Tyranitar getting Heavy Slam seems pretty scary since its prety heavy iirc, for example it procs the maximum value against Clefable.

Snorlax got Heavy Slam. Unsure where it would be used though

Nasty Plot Gengar and Hydreigon means they can do some wallbreaking meme

Hawlucha getting Brave Bird and Close Combat is funny. It will brick against Aegislash still though

Close Combat Aegis but its best move and best set is likely still the Shadow Ball set and Sub Toxic so its not worth much besides "hey it got CC cool". Aegislash just wasnt a good physical attacker compared to how monstrous its special attacking set are and i dont think Galar dex changes that much

Incineroar got PArting Shot. Idk why a pokemon with literally 80% use rate that is used in almost, if not every top 32 or top 16 got a buff this huge but that happened

Corviknight learns Roost via Breeding.

31 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Corviknight learns Roost via Breeding.

right i think i missed it since i didn't read the prevo initial moves

Feels like its solid-ish but it lacks a lot of things that makes Skarmory great since Bulk isnt everything

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Obviously this is from a third party source so take it with a grain of salt.

Now this sounds particularly questionable.

A singular flaw schmucked up everything, it sounds feasible, no importing of the old models = 😵. Companies have lost the source code for games before, is this that much different?

But it sounds too good to be true. Even if this indicates that Game Freak needs mandatory boot camp conferences to reeducate its employees, this one mistake fits too perfectly. And being able to acquire the written talking points of a company, that is very suspicious, it's the evidential gold that everyone wants, but how often is it actually ever found?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

13 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

1573560391395.gif

ZA WARUDO!

I played a game that did this recently, but it was an older game. This is...minimal, I guess...but really, REALLY jarring.

Edit: I FEEL THE NEED to balance this fuckery out, I'm sorry.

Edited by Dai

31 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ah yes, a basic-ass feature that literally every game ever made has is locked behind an item you could totally miss.

Does this entire game qualify for r/crappydesign? Because that's the vibe I'm getting because of that.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Ah yes, a basic-ass feature that literally every game ever made has is locked behind an item you could totally miss.

Oh god, I was wondering what the hell they were for. Kept going into the key items trying to use them in different places to see what they were for. The man just gives them to you and gives you vague explanation that went something like "now you can listen closely to the pokemon's cries" and I had no idea what he meant by that.

40 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Does this entire game qualify for r/crappydesign? Because that's the vibe I'm getting because of that.

Yes, I think it does.

2 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Let's go over other stupid design choices.

• Camera in the Wild Area is ass. There's only one set speed and barely any vertical movement.
  • The GTS, a staple since Diamond and Pearl, is gone.
  • You can set to skip the cutscenes. The catch? Doing so will automatically skip all cutscenes. And if you don't enable it, you aren't allowed to manualy skip them.
  • No music in the battle with the box art Legendary.

Game Freak, whar are you doing?