Pokémon Sword and Shield Spoiler Discussion

Lightchao42

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Let's go over other stupid design choices.

• Camera in the Wild Area is ass. There's only one set speed and barely any vertical movement.
  • The GTS, a staple since Diamond and Pearl, is gone.
  • You can set to skip the cutscenes. The catch? Doing so will automatically skip all cutscenes. And if you don't enable it, you aren't allowed to manualy skip them.
  • No music in the battle with the box art Legendary.

Game Freak, whar are you doing?

Please tell me that's a glitch.

Edited by Espurrhoodie

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

getting ready to make bank because people will buy their games anyway.

Why should they care when $$$ is made either way?

The GTS will be part of Pokemon Bank, making it a paid feature and people will still buy it.

*This hasn't actually been confirmed but it's what most are speculating since the GTS isn't in SwSh.

23 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

https://old.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/dvimmr/leak_confirmed_models_are_reused/

Here we go. The whole modelling thing is big fat ass lie as expected. 

And there goes their one big excuse. The crumbling edifice is now but a plain of dust.

Spoiler

EJOkp7-WwAEwYBD?format=jpg&name=large

Here’s a good summary of gen viii’s problems, is hough one or two things read off like opinions, rather than criticism, although most of this, if not all is indeed quite valid. Hopefully it can be read, I was on Twitter mobile when I found it.

You know what the irony is? In an alternate timeline, people wouldn't have minded the reused models (the models themselves are fine all things considered) or the animations or whatnot. But Game Freak brought attention to it, which is why they there's so much backlash now.

9 minutes ago, Dai said:

I can not trust ANY of these reviews at all. All of them must be playing a totally different game.

tbf, there are a couple more negative reviews that expected. Check Eurogamer's for example ''a shadow of a former great''

but yeah, we all knew reviews were gonna be 8+

Name brand triumphs over all. That isn't entirely insane, as humans tend in a world of very many choices, tend to want some landmarks that they assume to be good. Nonetheless, it speaks to the inability of humans to be truly independent-minded and unbiased- even if this applies to us herd of critics too. 

To take the summary of the Nintendo Life review:

Pokémon Sword and Shield succeed in bringing some new ideas to the table, but they’re also somewhat guilty of not pushing things far enough. What’s done right is done right, but what’s done wrong feels like it’s come from a decade-old design document. There are moments contained within that are best the series has ever been, but this joy is at times spoiled by contrasting moments that left us disappointed and did not match up to the rest of what the rest of these games can offer. What we've got here is an experience full of highs and lows, from the unadulterated wonder and joy of seeing a brand-new Pokémon in a stadium full of cheering crowds, to the monotonous and dragged-out dialogue we just wanted to skip. The wonders of exploring the Wild Area feels like the true evolution of the series, but even this brave stride forward is balanced out by the inclusion of restrictive and boring Routes from games of old. The niggling issues are impossible to ignore, then, but on the whole, Pokémon Sword and Shield are a solid start to the HD generation of Pokémon games, but there's ample room for improvement with the next outing.

• New Pokémon are just lovely
  • Scope and scale are largely excellent
  • The Wild Area is the best thing to happen to the series
  • Plenty of little quality of life improvements
  • Some visuals are pretty great
  • Relying too much on 20 year-old design choices
  • The Wild Area is sidelined by boring old Routes
  • Some visuals are pretty rough

This was given a 8/10, a lower score than the 9s of other reviews. 

But then there is this:

"Camping is a particular highlight, with your party ‘mon running up to you in all their high-tri-count glory"

And yet dataminers showed this is same old, same old.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I don't have much to say about the reviews other than it makes me lose faith in the future of pokemon if this is how high a mediocre at best game is being rated.

Also, I can't believe it's two days before release and reviewers aren't allowed to to tell how many pokemon are in the game.

So, hold up...Dynamax is a projection? I may have heard this before, but I completely forgot. Good lord, at least fuckin' Mega Evolution actually CHANGED the Pokemon, jesus.

14 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Okay, I feel a need to ask.

Are people giving bad reviews of Sw/Sh because reviewers got early copies, or because someone released to the public a game that isn't supposed to be out yet?

Do you mean user reviews or critic reviews? Because the latter has been nothing but positive.

Just now, Armagon said:

Do you mean user reviews or critic reviews? Because the latter has been nothing but positive.

I guess user reviews... I can't say I really know the difference, I've been trying to avoid both.

Reviewer copies would at least mean that despite getting a version of the game that's in it's final stages, the game was still not as good/was jankier than previous generations.

But if people, or I guess users, were getting their hands on the game somehow, I assume because they put out the game on the eshop for early download and people were able to bypass any checks to get into the game early... I don't know if there would be a difference between review copies and the version given to the public, but it just feels possible that users are using an unfinished copy of the game with no polish, aka "the stuff that gets fixed with a day 1 patch".

I don't wanna try to defend a potentially unfulfilling game, but I've also become extremely bitter because of all the leaks (fucking google chrome tries to spoil me whenever I open it on my phone), and I'm not even gonna be able to play the game on launch because I have to get up to an anime convention on the same day, so my preorder is just gonna sit unopened for a few days...

3 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I don't know if there would be a difference between review copies and the version given to the public, but it just feels possible that users are using an unfinished copy of the game with no polish, aka "the stuff that gets fixed with a day 1 patch".

Games typically go gold about a month before the release date so there's no difference between review copies and copies that manage to leak. If there is a day 1 patch, both review and leaked copies would get it.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Games typically go gold about a month before the release date so there's no difference between review copies and copies that manage to leak. If there is a day 1 patch, both review and leaked copies would get it.

Hmm...

Well, I'm not sure why critics and users would be giving such different reviews otherwise, besides the very blatantly obvious "git money git paid, no money no love", though I'd have hoped we were beyond buying positive reviews by now...

Edited by Xenomata

Those saying the GTS is gone, that is technically true, but there's a feature in the game that serves the same purpose. So it's gone, but at the same time it isn't.

I still say that most of the issues with Sword and Shield are minor nitpicks, at least for me. The only glaring flaws are the number of cut Pokemon and a seemingly lackluster postgame, and the fact that does appear that they lied about reusing models. Thing is though, they could've also actually rebuilt the exact same models from scratch, so it looks like they reused old ones even though they really didn't. But then, what was even the point?

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Thing is though, they could've also actually rebuilt the exact same models from scratch, so it looks like they reused old ones even though they really didn't. But then, what was even the point?

Something about this, I remember reading somewhere, but I don't remember where... but I think it might have had something to do with the models used in previous titles not being compatible with Switch hardware. Don't quote me on this, I could be very wrong.
Does make you wonder why, if they were really making new models compatible with the Switch, why they had to make them exactly the same as the older models... I mean, we're on a new console, they gave overhauls to pokemon sprite/models in previous console jumps.

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

Something about this, I remember reading somewhere, but I don't remember where... but I think it might have had something to do with the models used in previous titles not being compatible with Switch hardware. Don't quote me on this, I could be very wrong.
Does make you wonder why, if they were really making new models compatible with the Switch, why they had to make them exactly the same as the older models... I mean, we're on a new console, they gave overhauls to pokemon sprite/models in previous console jumps.

Yeah, that's what I mean, why not improve upon the previous models? I admit they look smoother here anyway, but still.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, that's what I mean, why not improve upon the previous models? I admit they look smoother here anyway, but still.

Most I can guess is some sort of quality standard. Like, this is the minimum we want the game to look good, but we also want this and that when it comes to character models.
I probably want to retract my guess though, because I forgot that Let's Go P&E was on the Switch, and that had all the Kanto pokemon plus Meltan/Melmetal and Mega Evolutions, some of which were cut. Still couldn't come up with a reason though...