Pokémon Sword and Shield Spoiler Discussion

Lightchao42

2 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Most I can guess is some sort of quality standard. Like, this is the minimum we want the game to look good, but we also want this and that when it comes to character models.
I probably want to retract my guess though, because I forgot that Let's Go P&E was on the Switch, and that had all the Kanto pokemon plus Meltan/Melmetal and Mega Evolutions, some of which were cut. Still couldn't come up with a reason though...

Yeah, that's all true too. It's just confusing and I wish GameFreak would clarify it a bit more. Still, it bugs me that people ONLY complained when GameFreak said all this. Nobody said anything bad about the graphics until GF said anything on it. They should've been clearer, but fans are also dumb themselves for just suddenly caring when GF said anything.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, that's all true too. It's just confusing and I wish GameFreak would clarify it a bit more. Still, it bugs me that people ONLY complained when GameFreak said all this. Nobody said anything bad about the graphics until GF said anything on it. They should've been clearer, but fans are also dumb themselves for just suddenly caring when GF said anything.

Yeah... I think I still have warning points from how mad I got at the complaints I was reading at the time.
Either way... I'm reserving any opinion I have until I play the game myself. I have an anime convention to get ready for, and that'll prevent me playing it until I return home on the 19th, so I might have to avoid the internet for even longer still... but at least I'll be too busy being engrossed in anime to care... hopefully... maybe... if it were somehow possible to play earlier that'd be great, but I'm not holding my breath...

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

Yeah... I think I still have warning points from how mad I got at the complaints I was reading at the time.
Either way... I'm reserving any opinion I have until I play the game myself. I have an anime convention to get ready for, and that'll prevent me playing it until I return home on the 19th, so I might have to avoid the internet for even longer still... but at least I'll be too busy being engrossed in anime to care... hopefully... maybe... if it were somehow possible to play earlier that'd be great, but I'm not holding my breath...

Yeah, same here, except I will be able to play when I get it Friday. Even though I had said once that I wanted to cancel my preorder... I later decided I was being too hasty and stuff. Plus, Galarian Ponyta and Rapidash are still too tempting. XD

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, same here, except I will be able to play when I get it Friday. Even though I had said once that I wanted to cancel my preorder... I later decided I was being too hasty and stuff. Plus, Galarian Ponyta and Rapidash are still too tempting. XD

Are you getting Sword or Shield? I'll trade you a Ponyta if you decide to get Sword!

I will say one thing though, please don't spoil me if it's known, but I'm kinda scared I already know how the story is gonna go...
I mean, all pokemon games past you didn't know who the champion was until you were there in the chamber... Blue, Lance, Steven/Wallace, Cynthia, Iris, Diantha, and finally yourself in one final battle against Kukui/Hau... at least until Black and White, where you meet the champion in all his champion glory on Route 5.

Here... from what I've gathered, you meet the champion around or before you even get your first pokemon. And we all know how B/W story went... Alder didn't get to be the stories final battle.

21 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Something about this, I remember reading somewhere, but I don't remember where... but I think it might have had something to do with the models used in previous titles not being compatible with Switch hardware. Don't quote me on this, I could be very wrong.
Does make you wonder why, if they were really making new models compatible with the Switch, why they had to make them exactly the same as the older models... I mean, we're on a new console, they gave overhauls to pokemon sprite/models in previous console jumps.

I remember reading this somehere but I believe it's false information.

It has already been proved that the battle models are the same from the 3DS. The Pokémon Camp are reused from Pokémon Amie.

The attack animations (except newer attacks) all come from Let's go.

7 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Seems a lot of review outlets had their review codes intentionally delayed until release date. That's pretty sketch. These must be the "trusted" reviewers in their eyes.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

It's just confusing and I wish GameFreak would clarify it a bit more. Still, it bugs me that people ONLY complained when GameFreak said all this. Nobody said anything bad about the graphics until GF said anything on it.

Gamefreak brought that to themselves when they said the main reason for dexit is better animation from the scratch. The fans have 0 blame. 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

fans are also dumb themselves for just suddenly caring when GF said anything.

''fans should buy games and shut up'' 

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Gamefreak brought that to themselves when they said the main reason for dexit is better animation from the scratch. The fans have 0 blame. 

They started complaining about other aspects of the graphics as well though, not just animations, and that's got nothing to do with what GameFreak said.

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

''fans should buy games and shut up'' 

Wow, so mature.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

They started complaining about other aspects of the graphics as well though, not just animations, and that's got nothing to do with what GameFreak said.

And they have no right to complain about anything they don't like or something? With Dexit major improvements should've happened, but all this game does is cut cut & cut more features with a 50% Price increase

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wow, so mature.

calling fans dumb doesn't deserve a mature response

29 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

And they have no right to complain about anything they don't like or something? With Dexit major improvements should've happened, but all this game does is cut cut & cut more features with a 50% Price increase

They have no right if they're only complaining because of something someone said later on down the line. They didn't care before, why are they allowed to suddenly care now? Also, the price increase is not 50% where are you getting that? $60 is only 15 more than $45. That's a 25% increase.

Edited by Anacybele

19 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

They didn't care before, why are they allowed to suddenly care now?

Because it's a new game on a new system? Because every other Ninty game improved? Because people are allowed to have improvements?
Because people pay money for the games?
Because with Dexit they should've atleast tried to add some features, and not cut away everything?

19 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, the price increase is not 50% where are you getting that? $60 is only 15 more than $45. That's a 25% increase.

40€ -> 60€ is a 50% price increase.
and even if it was 45$, 45$ -> to 60$ isn't a 25% increase, it's a 33.3% increase. Please, do your math. Going from 60 to 45 would be a 25% decrease, but not the other way around.

Also, with all the cut features it should've had a price decrease not an increase.

Edited by Shrimperor

25 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

They have no right if they're only complaining because of something someone said later on down the line. They didn't care before, why are they allowed to suddenly care now?

We found a cure for your baldness!😁

-It'll require we amputate both your legs.😐

*Hair doesn't grow back*🤬

-Strawman yes, but the point is made. Fans were willing to put up with the graphics as is when they knew all the Pokemon would be returning, because they loved Pokemon and were willing to bear with Game Freak's usual flaws. A promise was made that sweetened the bitter pill of losing out on hundreds of Pokemon- it would be bearable if the graphical quality of those Pokemon who made it in the game went up. The promise was broken- there is not a quality increase in the models at all, hundreds of Pokemon have been sacrificed for nothing gained. Looking at the graphics and other technical aspects of the world, fans haven't found significant improvements either.

Why then the sacrifice? Time is the fans' assumption. That time is money, and money is more games regardless of quality. Fans can accept the quality of the old games in the new, even if they shouldn't, but now it appears to be a watered down product for more money. Not really a good deal.

And unlike clothes, you can't try out a game and return it for the full price because you later found it be cheap and lazily made. Game purchases are final, so fans have to decide before they buy whether it is worth their time.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

35 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

40€ -> 60€ is a 50% price increase.
and even if it was 45$, 45$ -> to 60$ isn't a 25% increase, it's a 33.3% increase. Please, do your math. Going from 60 to 45 would be a 25% decrease, but not the other way around.

Also, with all the cut features it should've had a price decrease not an increase.

You should've specified which currency you were talking about then. A 3DS game is $45 here and a Switch game is $60. My mistake on the math though.

Edited by Anacybele

38 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

but the point is made. Fans were willing to put up with the graphics as is when they knew all the Pokemon would be returning, because they loved Pokemon and were willing to bear with Game Freak's usual flaws. A promise was made that sweetened the bitter pill of losing out on hundreds of Pokemon- it would be bearable if the graphical quality of those Pokemon who made it in the game went up. The promise was broken- there is not a quality increase in the models at all, hundreds of Pokemon have been sacrificed for nothing gained. Looking at the graphics and other technical aspects of the world, fans haven't found significant improvements either.

Is this actually true? If so, then what exactly are they even improving on? What makes this game "stand out"? That's kind of sad, that they aren't really putting their all on this one.

16 hours ago, Dai said:
  Reveal hidden contents

EJOkp7-WwAEwYBD?format=jpg&name=large

Here’s a good summary of gen viii’s problems, is hough one or two things read off like opinions, rather than criticism, although most of this, if not all is indeed quite valid. Hopefully it can be read, I was on Twitter mobile when I found it.

I don't know if it's from multiple iterations or if that's the base image but I wish that was more legible. I had to zoom in to 150% and read through a lot of fuzz to make the text out.

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Is this actually true? If so, then what exactly are they even improving on? What makes this game "stand out"? That's kind of sad, that they aren't really putting their all on this one.

The only true improvements SwSh is making is making competitive Pokemon a lot easier. No longer do you have to spend hours upon hours breeding for that perfect 6 IV Pokemon. No longer to do you have to spend hours upon hours breeding for that perfect nature. 

However, that's just getting into competitive Pokemon. The actual competitive scene now is up for debate, as the removal of moves hurts some Pokemon, Pokemon that would've benefitted from this Gen don't exist, etc. And yeah, i know Showdown exists but official Pokemon tournaments don't run that.

Competitive Pokemon has always been flawed from the start though. No amount of improvements will make it actually engaging but that's just me.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

The only true improvements SwSh is making is making competitive Pokemon a lot easier

Despite its problems, I would count the wild area as an improvement. Easily one of the few things that's great about the game. Looks ugly as sin (especially the cheap wheather filters) but it's the only place that's fun to explore and revisit. Like, I would like too see it return and improved in a game that doesn't have Dexit or any of the other problems SwSh has.

The only issue is that this is one of those improvements that I could see easily be cut out in future games (like following pokemon, vs seeker, super training, etc) and letting the whole concept go to waste.

2 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Despite its problems, I would count the wild area as an improvement. Easily one of the few things that's great about the game. Looks ugly as sin (especially the cheap wheather filters) but it's the only place that's fun to explore and revisit. Like, I would like too see it return and improved in a game that doesn't have Dexit or any of the other problems SwSh has.

The only issue is that this is one of those improvements that I could see easily be cut out in future games (like following pokemon, vs seeker, super training, etc) and letting the whole concept go to waste.

The best improvement would be to build the game around it. Here, it feels like a last-minute addition.

Here's a better version of that image I had early, with an extra thing or two, although the creator advises ignoring the bottom-most block.

Spoiler

VQmKTQF.png

It won't display appropriately so I guess just click it a couple times and it'll load up in a separate window.

Edited by Dai

2 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

The concept of the Wild Area is good and it could truly shine if improved upon. I just think that in SwSh, it's execution isn't very good. I'm not expecting Xenoblade-tier area design but it doesn't look like the Wild Area has anything of substance. It's really just a bigger area where you can catch Pokemon (and do Max Raids, i guess).

Wow, the IGN review is awful. The points the reviewer brings up are straight up contradicted by the footage shown at the same time at certain points in the video. Not like I'm going to trust a reviewer who tells fans of a franchise to "grow up". God I hate when game journalists act like they're above everyone.

GameExplain's review on the other hand felt a lot better and informative and despite the fact that they still gave the game an overall positive reception the negative points mentioned are things I really really didn't like. Things the IGN reviewer didn't feel noteworthy to mention <_<