Kinda Funny's Imran Khan: A cancelled Fire Emblem remake for the 3DS could "eventually be coming to Switch"

BZL8

Which remake do you think it is?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which remake do you think it is?

• Jugdral and Thracia remake! (FE4/FE5)
    • Elibe remake! (FE6/FE7)
    • Magvel remake! (FE8)
    • Tellius remake! (FE9/FE10)
    • Another Archanea remake! (FE1/FE3/FE11/FE12)
    • Awakening remake! (FE13)
    • Fates remake! (FE14)
    • "I think he's wrong. It's a brand-new installment!" (Brand new Fire Emblem game)
    • Other (please specify)

Now this is interesting. Imran Khan, a member of Kinda Funny Games and a former senior editor of Game Informer, revealed in a recent Kinda Funny podcast that several 3DS games in the works, one of which is another remake of a Fire Emblem game, was cancelled by Nintendo due to middling sales of the 3DS Bowser's Inside Story re-release (that sold only 11,000 copies in the first month. YIKES!). However Imran feels that the remake (as well as the other cancelled 3DS projects) could possibly come to Switch. 

The statement in question:

“Like, I know there was another Fire Emblem remake in the works for 3DS and that was one of the things that like they shuttered. So maybe that’s one of the things they’ll bring forward in the future.”

Given that Koei Tecmo did most of the work on Fire Emblem: Three Houses, one has to wonder if the rest of the staff at IntSys was working on this cancelled remake. In addition, the fact that Nintendo cancelled several 3DS projects lines up with what Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa recently stated about "bringing 3DS games to the Switch courtesy of the Lite."

Video (time-skipped to the appropriate section)

Article: https://www.spieltimes.com/news/rumour-canceled-fire-emblem-remake-and-other-games-could-eventually-come-to-switch/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've never been of the impression IS is a big enough company to handle multiple Fire Emblem main games at once, hence the outsourcing of work in recent years. And the decision to stop developing for the 3DS was the right call because Fire Emblem has a terrible track record of releasing games on outdated hardware (Gaiden, Thracia, being the biggest culprits). I also feel Fire Emblem Heroes would have really shifted their course, as people often forget DeNA did not help produce this game, it's all IS. For how cheap such a game is to produce and update, they must have made unprecedentedly high profit margins and even at time of writing there is no reason to suspect Heroes is ending anytime soon. So if fire emblem remakes had the goal of a quick buck I'm not surprised they would cancel one in the year 2017 specifically.

Overall, for my tastes, this news is good news. The wait for Three Houses felt empty and excruciating, I didn't need a FOURTH remake/crossover to "hold me over" when I was anticipating what a current gen Fire Emblem would look and play like. I also doubt any 3DS remake would have reached anywhere past a planning stage given what we know of 2017 so no serious work was scrapped that they can't pay forward to a future project. I still want fire Emblem remakes, specifically the remaining two Kaga games, but I want them done justice, and the Switch is a platform with the ideal life span to produce 4 and 5.

As for what the remake WAS, I agree with Mangs' recent video it was probably Binding Blade. Echoes' director named dropped it specifically so it's hard to argue that's what the plan would have been at that time. Even if we ask what they'd make now, skipping ahead to Elibe still feels like a very real possibility.

Edited by Glennstavos

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

As for what the remake WAS, I agree with Mangs' recent video it was probably Binding Blade. Echoes' director named dropped it specifically so it's hard to argue that's what the plan would have been at that time. Even if we ask what they'd make now, skipping ahead to Elibe still feels like a very real possibility

Kusakihara is not just the Echoes director, but also the Three Houses director. I would imagine he was also overseeing the remake of whatever game it was.

1 minute ago, Mylady said:

What Imran Kahn mean exactly? 

There was a 3DS remake of a Fire Emblem game that was recently cancelled by Nintendo. Imran thinks there is a possibility that it might come to Switch, especially in light of Furukawa’s comments.

7 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

Kusakihara is not just the Echoes director, but also the Three Houses director. I would imagine he was also overseeing the remake of whatever game it was.

There was a 3DS remake of a Fire Emblem game that was recently cancelled by Nintendo. Imran thinks there is a possibility that it might come to Switch, especially in light of Furukawa’s comments.

Yeah but what language is that? Maybe translating the tittle can give a better insight

PS: I got it, Imran is the name of the guy. Lol I found the supposed title very strange, sounded like a given name, that's why I asked 

Edited by Mylady

3 minutes ago, Mylady said:

Yeah but what language is that? Maybe translating the tittle can give a better insight 

??? What do mean by “translating the title”? Do you need me to clarify the title? Translate to a different language?

EDIT: Nvm

Edited by BZL8

Interesting. Hopefully it does happen. Don't mind much which game. Though personally, I'm not that high on the idea of Jugdral remakes, much as I'd want to. At least, not in current times. Maybe.

Personally I want to see an FE6 remake. 5, 6 and 7 are the only ones in need of remakes IMO but I was surprised just how faithful Echoes was to Gaiden, even to the point of bringing back weird and archaic game design, and I'm not sure if I would like to see an FE4 or FE5 remake in the same vein. 

Western fans love FE7 and I'm sure FE6 would be a real treat for a lot of us. Although I'm not sure how the Japanese audience feels about it.

I would be happy with any remake of any of the games at the end of the day though, since more classic FE is always really nice. If they could knock it out of the park in terms of presentation with Echoes I can't wait to see what they decide to do next.

I'm going to remain skeptical until we get more concrete evidence but it gives us something to look forward to in 2020, the series' 30th anniversary.

I definitely think the Judgral games should be next for the line of the upcoming FE remakes. But, it's kinda strange to see there was a rumor that there is a canceled 3DS remake since we got Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and plus, that Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia did sold well in the outer seas. I don't think it's possible for Intelligent Systems to make an another new remake for the Nintendo 3DS and canceled it because it's close to the end of the Nintendo 3DS line back then and due to Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr. as well set it to be releasing it after Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Edited by King Marth 64

I’m really hoping that was a FE6 remake (and FE7 if they decide to mix the two) and not for FE4 for several reasons.

1. I personally I have a bias towards towards Elibe while being completely indifferent to the Judgral games.
  2. With 3H being extremely similar to (and inspired by) FE4 specifically, I feel another game in that style/setting/tone would be redundant.
  3. FE6/7 would be a “safer” choice that I believe would be more appealing to a wider audience, ie the fact that all of their main lords won CYL (which is a HUGE feat), Roy in Smash, etc. FE4 would mostly just attract people who already played the game, while the lack of familiar characters/playstyle could potentially alienate casuals/newcomers. Then there’s all the... uhhhh, potentially controversial story elements that could have sites like Kotaku give it bad press.
  4. FE4 already has a large following and is said to be one of the best games. Why focus on something that’s already relatively popular among veterans when they could polish and retell FE6 which usually has a lukewarm reception? Almost nobody cared about Gaiden prior to SoV, but it was the latter that got people to recognize and appreciate it after the remake gave it a new life, and I want the same thing to happen with FE6 since I think it has a lot of hidden potential that could be explored.

We’ll probably learn soon enough after a Nintendo Direct, probably one during January/February of next year but maybe one this year if one even happens. I highly doubt this is the last we’ll hear of this.

33 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I definitely think the Judgral games should be next for the line of the upcoming FE remakes. But, it's kinda strange to see there was a rumor that there is a canceled 3DS remake since we got Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and plus, that Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia did sold well in the outer seas. I don't think it's possible for Intelligent Systems to make an another new remake for the Nintendo 3DS and canceled it because it's close to the end of the Nintendo 3DS line back then and due to Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr. as well set it to be releasing it after Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Well I'd say it depends on whenever Nintendo decided to case 3DS support. A 2nd remake might have been considered when Nintendo was still intending to make more 3DS games, but the rapidly declining sales instead quickened them shifting all focus to the Switch.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Obviously FE4 and 5. They're next in line and are very deserving of it.

It very much is Jugdral's turn but I don't think that will prevent them from being unfairly snubbed. It seems harder to remake and it lacks the Smash appeal of Roy. 

Genealogy should be the next remake but I fear its going to be unfairly snubbed. 

16 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Remake the 1st game, it's the only thing that makes sense.

I have just the game for you

https://www.nintendo.nl/Games/Nintendo-DS/Fire-Emblem-Shadow-Dragon-270825.html

9 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

It very much is Jugdral's turn but I don't think that will prevent them from being unfairly snubbed. It seems harder to remake and it lacks the Smash appeal of Roy. 

Genealogy should be the next remake but I fear its going to be unfairly snubbed. 

That would be so unfair, I agree. And personally, I really want to experience Sigurd's game, he's cool. Leif seems cool too (not all too interested in Seliph though). I don't care about Roy or his game. I never played FE6, but I tried seeing a let's play of it and I lost interest fast.

Edited by Anacybele

Much as I love the Judgral games I hope it isn't Judgral; the internet has clearly proven unable to handle complex characters who do morally questionable things, see the Edelgard/Rhea discussions. Can only imagine what the discussions on characters such as Travant and Arvis would be like. Not to mention MaedaFE's bad habit of writing character quirks rather than characters.

That said, though, Echoes had an excellent cast of characters, so I suppose it would be possible they would be done justice. Though I shudder to think of monastery exploring and all those gimmicks making a return. 

Honestly, at this point my faith in the FE series has been so crushed by Three Houses I no longer care. Whatever it may be, I don't mind, I just hope it manages to restore some of my faith in the series moving forward. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

It very much is Jugdral's turn but I don't think that will prevent them from being unfairly snubbed. It seems harder to remake

Genealogy is a ginormous can of worms for a remake. And it's further hindered by the fact that Western audiences can't just go back and play the original if they don't like the remake's changes.

Some things are easy to correct and absolutely should be done, like the weapon weight issues. Some things are easy to correct, but leave one asking if the changes should be done- such as removing Pursuit to let everyone naturally double, and the personalized funds without trading. And yet others are hard to change, and beg the question if they should be- should maps be reduced in size and Genealogy split into more chapters? Or should they just fill in more of the maps already extant with features to improve the design quality, and add make other fixes to make the maps faster? 

1 hour ago, Fire Brand said:

Though I shudder to think of monastery exploring and all those gimmicks making a return. 

Enjoy the six months of nothing but Castle Agusty exploration following Chapter 2! And similar periods of time after Chapters 1 and 3.

A little non-mandatory peacetime between chapters would be a perfectly fine addition I think for Genealogy.

Ideally, it could be time during which one could get all their next set of Arena battles done before the start of the next chapter. That'd remove the good 15 minutes of time after a chapter's opening narration, but before you actually send out any troops because you were doing the Arena with everyone, that always felt awkward.

Plus, FE4 characters could always use more characterization, some brief peace in a castle would be a good time to bond lovers and see touching post-marital scenes. Friendships could blossom too of course.

However! I will sacrifice Julia every chance I get if IS does not make the castle interiors look different. Chalphy and Rivough should not look alike. Only the home castles need be explorable, so they only need interiors for: Evans, Agusty, Sallane, Lubeck, Rivough, Alster, Mease, Peruluke, and Chalphy. If IS keeps track of Kaga's real world inspirations for each country, then they would hopefully look up old architecture from country and match it up. Alster with an Italian Renaissance interior would be very fine.

IS said here that Shadows of Valentia would be the last 3DS Fire Emblem game, so I'm not sure what to make of this rumor unless SoV sold better than expected and they changed their minds... though Yamagami said it would probably be the last 3DS game, if you want to be technical.

2 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Remake the 1st game, it's the only thing that makes sense.

And the third

Make it a 2 for 1 deal

____

I agree with others in that it probably didn't get past the planning phase, and that it was FE6

Now personally I would have liked it to be FE 8 or 9 as those are games I really like and I'd like to see them redone.

For some reason I though that the game would be remade would be Awakening or Fates. There is more assets to full from rather than creating mostly new material. Plus if IS did make a remake of a older title on the 3ds few would buy it. Granted they have a history of releasing games at the end of a console lifespan.

12 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

And the third

Make it a 2 for 1 deal

____

I agree with others in that it probably didn't get past the planning phase, and that it was FE6

Now personally I would have liked it to be FE 8 or 9 as those are games I really like and I'd like to see them redone.

An FE 8 remake would make me really happy, but I don't expect it to happen. It's got one of my favorite casts. 

Just up the graphics, add an extra difficulty mode for the elitists, add combat arts and modern quality of life features. And bam, done.

12 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

IS said here that Shadows of Valentia would be the last 3DS Fire Emblem game, so I'm not sure what to make of this rumor unless SoV sold better than expected and they changed their minds...

When linking an article and referring to something specific that they said, it's often best to directly quote the source for convenience sake.

Yamagami: A few final words… “Buy these games without worries!” Does that work? (Laughs). We have already begun development on a new title for the Switch, and so I think this is probably the last Fire Emblem game on the 3DS.

I'll counter that by saying in that same interview Nakanishi implied the team thought of the remake as a spin-off (this was said to explain the reason they used the word "Echoes" in the title).

Nakanishi: Well, when Gaiden came out, it was just Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light before it. Fast forward over ten releases later to modern day, and it can be confusing which Fire Emblem’s ”gaiden” this is! We wanted to emphasize its status as a spin off without using the word “gaiden”, so started to think hard about it…

As such, I'll say that lots of companies relegate the spin-offs of their franchises to the portable market.  I'd say either they meant it'd be the last "main" Fire Emblem game on the 3DS or something changed their minds (like you said, Echoes may have been successful enough to warrant a follow-up).  It has been two years between that release interview and the interview we're talking about in this thread.

Of course, this is just a journalist that is saying this stuff, not an actual developer or producer.  Perhaps he only heard that Nakanishi said he wanted to remake FE6, and Khan conflated that with a remake actually being in the works.

Anyway, I do think we'll see a remake, but until something's confirmed I'd take things that are said with a grain of salt.  I mean, if the producers and developers suddenly start talking about Binding Blade or Genealogy of the Holy War a lot, I think that'd be a pretty clear indicator of where they're going next, but everything that's been said so far haven't gone past the drawing board.  Still think it's too early to say anything's happening, but hey, I'd like to see a remake of one of the Japan-only titles.