Kinda Funny's Imran Khan: A cancelled Fire Emblem remake for the 3DS could "eventually be coming to Switch"

BZL8

Which remake do you think it is?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which remake do you think it is?

• Jugdral and Thracia remake! (FE4/FE5)
    • Elibe remake! (FE6/FE7)
    • Magvel remake! (FE8)
    • Tellius remake! (FE9/FE10)
    • Another Archanea remake! (FE1/FE3/FE11/FE12)
    • Awakening remake! (FE13)
    • Fates remake! (FE14)
    • "I think he's wrong. It's a brand-new installment!" (Brand new Fire Emblem game)
    • Other (please specify)

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Since when? I remember hearing that one guy in the staff said that. But not the entire FE team.

It wasn’t just “one guy on the staff” it was the director of the game himself meaning he has a lot of say in what does or doesn’t get made/greenlit. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Ottservia said:

It wasn’t just “one guy on the staff” it was the director of the game himself meaning he has a lot of say in what does or doesn’t get made/greenlit. 

That's still just one guy. Not all of them. Means nothing. He could still be told no by Nintendo or someone else in IS and that they want to do something else.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

That's still just one guy. Not all of them. Means nothing.

Yeah one guy with a decent chunk of power in the company. I think you underestimate the amount of power someone in the director’s chair has when it comes to making decisions like this. Yeah they have higher ups that they take orders from but overall as far as deciding what game gets made next well they hold a decent chunk of that decision making power.

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Yeah one guy with a decent chunk of power in the company. I think you underestimate the amount of power someone in the director’s chair has when it comes to making decisions like this. Yeah they have higher ups that they take orders from but overall as far as deciding what game gets made next well they hold a decent chunk of that decision making power.

But they're not the one with the final say, are they? Doesn't sound like it.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Not necessarily no but his word should not be taken with a grain of salt like you seem to be implying. The fact that the director made mention of FE 6 should be a good indicator on what kind of remake they were working on. Out of everyone he’s probably the 2nd or 3rd man in charge so his words hold a lot of weight.

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Not necessarily no but his word should not be taken with a grain of salt like you seem to be implying. The fact that the director made mention of FE 6 should be a good indicator on what kind of remake they were working on. Out of everyone he’s probably the 2nd or 3rd man in charge so his words hold a lot of weight.

I still take it with a grain of salt because of how illogical it would be to skip Jugdral who is in more need of exposure and a remake. Both Gaiden and Jugdral were the games with the least amount of exposure in the west. Gaiden's been remade, now Jugdral is the one in need.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

You’re splitting hairs. “He doesn’t have the final say so it doesn’t matter.” He has decision making power and he’s stated what he’d like to do. Is it 100%? No. But it’s a good indicator of what’s likely to happen next.

You need to realize that what you think makes sense and what you want to see happen is what doesn’t matter in the end.

17 minutes ago, Florete said:

You need to realize that what you think makes sense and what you want to see happen is what doesn’t matter in the end.

Why would you think that I don't know this? I'm not stupid.

I'm just saying I would be incredibly surprised if the next remake is anything but Jugdral.

I'm gonna be miffed if this turns out to be real and it's FE6 :L. The GBA games have amazing sprites and they have a nice feel to them, none of them need a remake for now. Genealogy on the other hand needs it bad. Give me Azelle in HD

If it was a 3DS remake, I'd want it to be Binding/Blazing. As much as I want Jugdral remakes, I really think those deserve the presentation bump of being built from the ground up for a home console and not starting as handheld titles.

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If it really was next in line in terms of remakes, then the Gaiden remake would've come before the Mystery of the Emblem one. They chose to skip it and remake it after, instead.

that was a completely different situation

they needed quick money otherwise they'd have gone bankrupt, so it only made sense to skip the "black sheep" of the series and remake one of the most selling games in the series

1 hour ago, Florete said:

Binding Blade was named by IntSys themself as the one they’d like to remake next.

SoV's director said he'd like to remake binding blade

without official confirmation from IntSys itself, this doesn't mean anything except that he'd like to do that

2 minutes ago, Yexin said:

that was a completely different situation

they needed quick money otherwise they'd have gone bankrupt, so it only made sense to skip the "black sheep" of the series and remake one of the most selling games in the series

Exactly. There's more to dictating what is next in line than the original line-up of release.

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Exactly. There's more to dictating what is next in line than the original line-up of release.

well now their financial situation is quite good, so i think they'll feel confident enough to remake whatever they want

gaiden's already been remade, and that was objectively the least likely game to be remade, along with thracia: furthermore, apparently nothing stopped them from remaking gaiden, not even nintendo, which just a few years ago forbade intsys to make home console games for a while

considering all these informations, i think it's safe to assume genealogy is not that unlikely, and that FE6-7 don't have that "they're easier to remake" advantage over genealogy

33 minutes ago, Slumber said:

If it was a 3DS remake, I'd want it to be Binding/Blazing. As much as I want Jugdral remakes, I really think those deserve the presentation bump of being built from the ground up for a home console and not starting as handheld titles.

do we have confirmations about this? are they really recycling what they did until now?

i honestly doubt they are, people wouldn't be happy about having a new remake with SoV's graphics on switch, especially after 3H, the game would be dead way before its release

Edited by Yexin

1 hour ago, ChickenBits said:

I'm gonna be miffed if this turns out to be real and it's FE6 :L. The GBA games have amazing sprites and they have a nice feel to them, none of them need a remake for now. Genealogy on the other hand needs it bad. Give me Azelle in HD

Genealogy indeed really needs a remake badly and we all especially need Azelle in HD!

However despite the amazing sprite work FE6 does need a remake too since barely anyone can play it. Its got one of the most famous Fire Emblem characters yet the vast majority of fans haven't and can't play his game. Genealogy should have preference but later down the line a Binding remake should come. 

I would be fine with either Binding Blade or Genealogy getting remade, but it's obvious that both games would need some heavy work to be serviceable.

Binding Blade has asinine level design and nonsensical hidden requirements for unlocking the "true" ending.  At the very least it'd be great if they could change unit growths and make it so Roy isn't stunted in growth for, like, two-thirds of the game.

Genealogy... well, that's a big can of worms.  Trading mechanics, giant maps, difficulties with implementing a "Casual" mode...  There's so much that would turn off newbies and fans of newer games, I'm not sure slugging through all of that would be worth experiencing the story of Genealogy for a newbie, as great as I think it is.  It's a case where you either have to change so much that it's barely even the same game or you just don't bother changing much at all because small changes simply wouldn't cut it if one wants to bring in newer fans.

Any other game is good enough that I don't think they're as needing of a remake as these games are (plus, they've been released in the west, with the exception of Mystery Book 2 and Thracia).  I mean, maybe Thracia will need some reworking - mainly making it so that some things aren't so obtuse - but that's about it.  Blazing Sword is great, Sacred Stones is very accessible, and the Tellius games were made with powerful enough hardware that I don't think they'd even warrant a remake (maybe a remaster, but not a remake).

Also, if we were to get a remake of FE7... the only thing I'd ask of them (aside from not making Battle Before Dawn on HHM not so dependent on luck) is to make Lyndis feel more relevant in the main stories.  Like, she tags along and is in all the cutscenes, and she even gets a legendary sword at the end, but she doesn't feel quite as important as Eliwood or Hector do.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I really think those deserve the presentation bump of being built from the ground up for a home console and not starting as handheld titles.

For what they had to work with they did a pretty damn amazing job, to be fair, to the point that many would say they looked better than anything that came out of later games.  Sure, the cutscenes were mostly still images or just two-to-four talking heads on the screen at any given point, but the battle animations definitely gave some of the later games a run for their money.

And I'd also say, as much as I do love the Jugdral games, the way they presented scenes was even less impressive than the way the GBA titles did it.  I mean, if Genealogy was made in the GBA era, then Alvis's monologue about being more than simply a man carrying unholy blood would probably be punctuated with a CG of him standing defiantly against Manfloy, as opposed to it simply being two heads with speech bubbles talking to one another.

I just think both could stand to see a presentation bump, and both are deserving of such.

37 minutes ago, Yexin said:

do we have confirmations about this? are they really recycling what they did until now?

i honestly doubt they are, people wouldn't be happy about having a new remake with SoV's graphics on switch, especially after 3H, the game would be dead way before its release

We have basically one sentence to go on, so I'm just inferring. If Imran is saying that Nintendo is re-purposing planned 3DS remakes for the Switch, it gives me the impression that the plans for these games was already laid out.

I'm not saying I think the graphics won't be up to snuff, but I do get the impression that the scale(In both gameplay and scope of the maps or storytelling presentatoin) would be less if the plans were for a much older, weaker system than the Switch. Of course the plans could change with the jump to a new system, but I'm just going off the idea that these remakes were already being built for the 3DS.

20 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

For what they had to work with they did a pretty damn amazing job, to be fair, to the point that many would say they looked better than anything that came out of later games.  Sure, the cutscenes were mostly still images or just two-to-four talking heads on the screen at any given point, but the battle animations definitely gave some of the later games a run for their money.

And I'd also say, as much as I do love the Jugdral games, the way they presented scenes was even less impressive than the way the GBA titles did it.  I mean, if Genealogy was made in the GBA era, then Alvis's monologue about being more than simply a man carrying unholy blood would probably be punctuated with a CG of him standing defiantly against Manfloy, as opposed to it simply being two heads with speech bubbles talking to one another.

I just think both could stand to see a presentation bump, and both are deserving of such.

The art stills are one thing, but all throughout the Jugdral games, there are a lot of scenes the do play-out on the overworld map. That's mostly what I mean. Scenes like the Barbeque at Belhalla, or the scenes of major armies moving together in scenes. They felt a bit more organic than smash cuts to art stills, which generally managed to capture smaller, more personal moments better.

In the GBA games, it's largely characters moving to talk to one another in these scenes. If a big army moves in a scene, the leader will appear on the map, then maybe reinforcements of maybe 2 or 3 other enemies will show up. If it's the start of the map, all of the enemies will move from off screen after the leader shows up. 

Obviously both could use a presentation bump, since scenes could get more cinematic flair in the Jugdral games(Like CG scenes), or the game could just be overall grander in scope in Elibe(Like extra map details/scenes), but I just feel like the latter would be truer to a big console game, and I think Jugdral needs it the most to stay true to the originals. You can still be true to Elibe on weaker hardware, since the games were always designed to be scaled back for handheld, while I think that's much less true to Jugdral, which were the biggest games until Radiant Dawn.

Edited by Slumber

See, imo GBAFE is the one in need of a graphics rehaul. I love the graphics and sprites of the Judgral games; they have a really nice retro feel, with a kinda dark fantasy vibe that fits very well. Also, some really nice animations.

Whereas GBAFE looks like someone vomited a bunch of colors onto a screen. Idk whether it's nostalgia or this weird anime obsession everyone seems to have nowdays, but the sprite animations are really nothing special. And the overall colors are blindingly bright. I've played Kirby games that use color more sparingly.

Though, that said, Three Houses looks like an early Wii U game, so graphics aren't really a priority, it seems. Echoes looked far better imo.

Also, this obsession with getting rid of all the quirks of games to make them 100% pure standard gameplay, "trimming the fat". Quirks and oddities are what makes a game unique, gives it a soul. Remove them, and you have the a lifeless, generic series of identical games churned out on a conveyor belt. Think 2d Mario. GBAFE already steered far to close to this, imo. 

43 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

Also, this obsession with getting rid of all the quirks of games to make them 100% pure standard gameplay, "trimming the fat". Quirks and oddities are what makes a game unique, gives it a soul. Remove them, and you have the a lifeless, generic series of identical games churned out on a conveyor belt. Think 2d Mario. GBAFE already steered far to close to this, imo. 

i wouldn't worry about that

SoV is an almost perfect carbon copy of gaiden; yes it adds forging and some new mechanics, but the base gameplay is still the same of gaiden

i'm pretty sure they know how to stay faithful to a game's gameplay, no matter how old it is

40 minutes ago, Yexin said:

i wouldn't worry about that

SoV is an almost perfect carbon copy of gaiden; yes it adds forging and some new mechanics, but the base gameplay is still the same of gaiden

i'm pretty sure they know how to stay faithful to a game's gameplay, no matter how old it is

And SoV got heavily criticised for it. 

2 hours ago, Fire Brand said:

And SoV got heavily criticised for it. 

SD and New Mysery were and are still criticised because they feel too old as well, but this didn't stop them, as they kept gaiden's map design and stuff like that

also genealogy feels much better to play than gaiden anyway, so i don't think they'll be scared to bring genealogy's gargantuan maps and its lack of trade command back in a potential remake

Edited by Yexin

Based on the quote and prior comments from the dev team, my guess is that it would be FE6. It seems much more likely to me that FE6 would be remade without FE7 than FE4 without FE5, and based on the admittedly slim precedent of FE11/12, I don't think they'd split a pair of remakes across different systems.

18 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Binding Blade has asinine level design and nonsensical hidden requirements for unlocking the "true" ending.

Are we thinking of the same game? FE6's gaiden requirements are all to play fast and keep certain units alive, and then don't break the Divine weapons. YMMV I suppose, but to me that seems like something players would naturally do eventually. The only one that's really obscure is 16x, but that could easily be hinted at by a base conversation.

If IS were to remake a GBA game, then they really need to put the animation quality to justice. 

Imagine if the crit animations were that of 3 Houses. There are some good ones like flier bow crits but most of them aren't even close to the quality of GBA crit animations. 

When you see a druid crit, you know that target is going to die (also remove crit chance on luna please Don't want random deaths to enemy luna druids).

If this rumor is true, I'm placing my money on a Binding Blade remake. The director of SoV expressed interest in remaking it next, it's a very "rough around the edges" kind of game with several near universally agreed upon improvements to make, and it was originally on a handheld, so the transition to the 3DS would be a natural one. I wouldn't discount the Judgral games as a possibility, but I think the large maps of FE4 would be more fitting for a console game than a handheld title, and both Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 have several gameplay elements that are a tricky debate of what should be changed and what should stay the same. I'm expecting that they'll be remade for the Switch eventually, but later rather than sooner.

As for another possibility, I'm curious if IS was planning on making a "Game of the Year" edition of Awakening. It's been over five years, the sequels have improved vastly on the animations and graphics, and the game is well known for having quality DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if IS wanted to make a quick buck by remastering the game and providing some extra content that would be appealing to fans, but decided it was too late in the 3DS's lifespan for it to be profitable. That said, I do think that "remaster" or "re-release" would be better descriptions than "remake" if this were the case.