New Heroes Banner (Desert Mercenaries)

Alexmender

I'm a fan of all the choices. Getting Cormag, Ross, Tethys, and Gerik all at once is beyond any expectation I had for a Sacred Stones banner.

I despise this Ephraim/Lyon seasonal crap though. Hector/Lilina makes sense because well they are actually seasonal units but this is just some regular banner and not legendary, mythical, or seasonal.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Would you prefer that Ephraim carry Lyon? 

No.

:LyonEvil:

I would use my paralyzing magic, the kind I used to watch the hope fade from the fool who thought me a friend's face as I crushed the accursed stone he held as though he could protect it. With his body rendered immobile, I would make him dance to my every whim, to cleave the heads of heroes, to pierce the delicate heart of his own sister, that is what I would have done.

---

Excellent SS set, this does the game well. Ignoring the Duo unit, but it's the price to be paid I guess for "boring" old characters, the same way Archanea needed a godly Nagi and triple female.

And Gerik is an Axe? True to his 13/15 Con and key to awesome enemy phasing.

@mcsilas @mampfoid @Alexmender

ROSS. YES. OMG. RRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. (In case you don't know. Ross is my favorite character in FE8 and one of the three characters I want in FEH the most. Edward > Ross > Ilyana is the priority. After that I'm pretty much completely covered in FEH as far as top favorites.)

Sorry Raven, you've been replaced. Instant +10 candidate. Don't care what his stats are, he's getting a premium set with a Wo Gun+. And he's not on the banner which means my orbs are safe! Best case scenario for me. Can only hope he gets a prf down the line and gets a Hatchet with built in DC. Since he's a Gen 3-4 unit he'll be low priority so I hope he's got boosted BST and stats as a result. He's a trainee, same as Amelia and Ewan. Those three were the trainees of FE8. Amelia's stats are amazing so Ross and Ewan's better be on par.

As for the banner.

- Tethys is the obvious demote. Nothing she has is interesting. But at least she's a dagger dancer who'll probably have a better statline than PA!Olivia so that's something new she's bringing to the table. 

- Gerik is unbelievably premium fodder bringing Firesweep Axe+ to the table. I would love to have him honestly. Guy's a beast. Kit's pretty great too with Sudden Panic and DB4 (even if he'd prefer SS4).

- Ewan is incredibly boring but I don't care because he, like Amelia and Ross is one of my very favorite characters! Giving him Sabotage SPD was a cheap way to not demote him which is irritating and puts him in the same place as Lugh who also should demote, new tome or not. That being said I still want him even if he likely won't be near the likes of Celica, Lilina or Dancer Micaiah.

- Ephraim looks busted of course. Brings a new skill, his original prf which he should have had years ago and he brings Heavy Blade 4 to the table. He's a favorite but his Duo Skill is kind of boring compared to Hector's.

This would be a pretty prime banner for me if I wasn't saving for Lyn which sucks because I'd really like 3-4 of these units. At the end of the day though, many red mages that I own likely fill Ewan's role better. I have every other version of Ephraim so I'm alright, Gerik is prime but Ross is 3-4 so I can just wait for him and Tethys is an obvious demote. I may spend a few orbs during the bonds tickets (Green > Blue > Red) but that's about it. Orbs are precious right now so I have to pull based on Value and Gerik has the best value on this banner.

With all the technical talk out of the way. An FE8 banner is absolutely fantastic and I really wish this had come at a different time. With this banner all of my favorite FE8 characters are all in the game.

Ross > Lute > Ephraim > Amelia > Ewan >= Colm.

Okay, Colm's not in still but I can live with that. I like most of the units in FE8.

I'm just happy Tethys isn't yet another sword dancer. In two years' time (based on the number of Sothes and Nannas I've gotten since their release) I might have enough copies to make her my first +10 dancer.

Obviously the tickets go towards the Duo hero, but I do so with no great enthusiasm. It's fine, I have a grand total of two orbs at the moment anyway.

Tethys, Gerik, Ewan, Ross, AND Cormag? Nice! I really like the number of new heroes we've been getting these last few banners.

I'm not all that thrilled about the Ephraim/Lyon duo unit, though. Firstly, it should be Ephraim/Eirika. Secondly, it should absolutely NOT be treated like a seasonal. Screw that.

All in all, I'll use my tickets to try for Gerik, and then I'll stop. Gotta save for Farfetched/Brave Redux. Really hope Nils is on it.

11 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Finally Firesweep Axe! Too bad its probably locked to 5 stars. Wasn't the Cleaner Legault's weapon?

Yeah, The Cleaner was originally Legault's but since it's inheritable I suppose they had to eventually give it to someone else to increase the weapon's accessibility. 

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

Garbage, Tethys is supposed to use dark magic.

What? Really? This in some support conversation or something? Because I recall her having no weapon period.

Also, yeah, finally having Firesweep Axe at last is sweet. Should've been in the game awhile ago honestly.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

What? Really? This in some support conversation or something? Because I recall her having no weapon period.

Guess I should have ended that with /s

I was referencing the glitch in Sacred Stones that lets anyone use Dark Magic and is the only way Tethys can do combat in the game.

Well..Outside of Ephraim and Lyon, I don't really care about the others.

...Gerik does seem like a good fodder though. (I don't even remember why, but I need that Firesweep Axe)

At least this is a small break to my orbs.

I do wonder who's getting demoted..

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

Guess I should have ended that with /s

I was referencing the glitch in Sacred Stones that lets anyone use Dark Magic and is the only way Tethys can do combat in the game.

Oh, I see. lol I'd never heard about that glitch before, so I never would've understood the sarcasm/joke anyway. xP

Farfetched banner is probably going to be Shinon, Jill, Louise, and Nils then. Shinon = red bow, Jill = green axe, Nils = blue dragon, Louise = colorless bow. Works out. Two guys, two girls. All four colors. And we'd finally get a playable red bow! Please make Shinon a red bow, IS! And give him his Silencer with a sweet effect.

Edited by Anacybele

Fina-fucking-lly, we have Firesweep Axe.

Ephraim and Lyon being a duo hero is sweet from a character perspective. One of Lyon's castle quotes is: "Ephraim is strong, and he cuts a dashing figure. When it comes to his studies, though... Of course, he did rely on my help for that. I was very glad to aid him." Lyon admires Ephraim, but also appreciated being able to help Ephraim.

Tethys looking like she might demote is interesting. She will be a gen 4 infantry ranged dancer and that means she'll have around 157 BST like soiree Nephenee. What's even better is that she comes with a really good dagger in terms of offense, so if she ends up with good stats, then she, like soiree Nephenee, could end up being both a good dancer and good ranged unit. She already has higher BST by a few points than Legault and all she needs to do is either match or exceed his 31/38 base neutral offenses. Well, looks like Legault might need to bring out his personal daggers: The Actual Cleaners.

If she doesn't demote, then Ewan would probably demote and that would mean the first -serpent tome in the 4* summoning pool is the newest one and the red one. We'd also get Sabotage Spd in the regular summoning pool and Swift Stance for what that's worth.

With the two 3* to 4* inserts having the previous generation of BST, Ross looks like he going to get screwed over. At the same time, he could have trainee BST because he is one along with Amelia and Ewan in Sacred Stones, but that would put him on par with gen 4 melee infantry. Ross having Brave Axe makes me think he'll be like an axe version of Donnel or a gen 3, trainee Barst. Axe Donnel would be okay, but it would be like having Libra with less actual resistance for more HP and summer Ylgr is like a +Spd, -Res Libra, so she could be better in terms of raw offenses compared to Ross.

Hm... I should probably elaborate why I'm not a fan of Duel!Ephraim/Lyon.

Remember Reinhardt and Olwen's alts? Remember how stunningly different they were from their original incarnations, except no they weren't they just got caught in some wind and made a real lazy effort to shoo it away when their pictures got taken?

Sure his outfit is a little different, but not to any degree that I was able to tell at first glance. This isn't even giving them a different weapon type, crap he doesn't even seem to have a majestic wind to ride off of, he's just here and so is Lyon, as well as Reginleif. Not a different move type, not a different weapon type... it's literally just Ephraim again.

Edited by Xenomata

Wow, this is a lot. I LOVE Ewan, but his art is so blah, so I think I'll pass. I just hate the eyes, and he seems lackluster anyways. 

But GERIK. Wow. Okay. I clearly have a thing for hot axe men. Not a huge fan of Firesweep weapons, so that will probably have to go.

And yay! Ross! Love him. And if I'm going for Gerik there's a chance I'll get a Ross too!! =D He's so cute too!! Love his art.

And oh...my...god. Cormag! Finally. Finally!

And last but not least Ephraim and Lyon? One, their art is adorable, and two, I don't NEED them at all, but I reallllly want them because I love both those characters so much and it makes me so happy to see a happy Lyon. 

But I also need to save for FarFetched (Nils-barring they give him those stupid big bug eyes they gave Ewan), so I guess I'll focus on Gerik first, and then depending on my orb count, see if I should dive back in for Ephraim. 

@Zeo Ayy, I'll wait for you to show that +10 Ross with whale-tier skills in the +10 thread one day! He's most likely going to have Gen 3 BST but if he gets the trainee bonus (as he should, he basically has his own trainee class) then it'll be no different than a Gen 4 unit which is pretty cool!

Something I haven't seen anyone mention is that the Ephraim/Lyon duo are going to have a special convo to replace the stock lines just like Hector and Lilina. I'm not too interested in the duo as a unit but I really want to see the convo, if the previous one is anything to go by then it's going to be very cool stuff. 

Ephraim/Lyon are from pre-FE8/FE8 Flashbacks according to the artist. That's why Ephraim is a bit more on the skinny side compared to his other costumes and why he needs somebody watching his back instead of being able to take on armies solo. So much like with Hector/Lilina, they're versions of the characters that were in the game but not playable/fightable. Which is mildly interesting for sure. 

If you don't like Duos not being added to the main summoning pool, bombard IS with feedback. Politely, but make it known instead of grumbling around here. 

Happy to see Sacred Stones get a banner after so long but I don't see Cormag, Gilliam or Syrene on the banner so my orbs are safe. I guess Cormag is destined to be a subpar unit at best since he is the GHB unit isn't he? I'm glad to see Archanea, Valentia and Magvel all getting New Heroes banners after so long but I wish it all didn't happen right before Farfetched Heroes come out.

9 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

Ephraim/Lyon are from pre-FE8/FE8 Flashbacks according to the artist. That's why Ephraim is a bit more on the skinny side compared to his other costumes and why he needs somebody watching his back instead of being able to take on armies solo. So much like with Hector/Lilina, they're versions of the characters that were in the game but not playable/fightable. Which is mildly interesting for sure. 

If you don't like Duos not being added to the main summoning pool, bombard IS with feedback. Politely, but make it known instead of grumbling around here. 

Delete my message please. I misread this comment.

Edited by Sentinel07

Ah, Cormag as the GHB? Maybe my Wyvern Knight team will get another member... Currently, there are only 2 heroes in the game with Wyvern Knight wyverns: Valter (flying lance) and Summer Innes (flying axe.) For this reason, I hope that (if Cormag is a Wyvern Knight in this) Cormag wings up using a sword. Color balance and all that. If not, that's okay. Maybe we'll get some more FE8 wyvern knights at some point.

4 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

For this reason, I hope that (if Cormag is a Wyvern Knight in this) Cormag wings up using a sword. Color balance and all that. If not, that's okay. Maybe we'll get some more FE8 wyvern knights at some point.

Cormag's character title is literally "Aloof Lanceman" so I'd say it's pretty unlikely that he'll be a sword unit.