New Heroes Banner (Desert Mercenaries)

Alexmender

9 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Cormag's character title is literally "Aloof Lanceman" so I'd say it's pretty unlikely that he'll be a sword unit.

Aw shit, and here I thought we were getting a flying healer as a GHB unit.

Edited by Kaden

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Aw shit, and here I thought we were getting a flying healer as a GHB unit.

Nah, I think that was a little too ambitious when we haven't had a staff GHB unit period. And with Kronya's addition, staff is the only weapon type (not counting individual colors) yet to get repped in a GHB.

I do like Sacred Stones and all, but damn they are really holding off on the Three Houses units, which is just bizarre. With late November now almost guaranteed to be Farfetched, we are looking at January for another chance at one. Wonder if I'll even be playing Heroes anymore at that point. They are really missing out on the biggest hype period.

Anyway, these units are all nice and I suppose I could always go for another chance at finally having an Ephraim. However, with how lazy I have become about collecting orbs in this game, I'd do best to just leave it alone untilthe next 3H banner, whenever that will be.

13 minutes ago, Nanima said:

I do like Sacred Stones and all, but damn they are really holding off on the Three Houses units, which is just bizarre. With late November now almost guaranteed to be Farfetched, we are looking at January for another chance at one. Wonder if I'll even be playing Heroes anymore at that point. They are really missing out on the biggest hype period.

Anyway, these units are all nice and I suppose I could always go for another chance at finally having an Ephraim. However, with how lazy I have become about collecting orbs in this game, I'd do best to just leave it alone untilthe next 3H banner, whenever that will be.

Honestly, I think the reason for holding off on Three Houses units is because they make these banners well in advance, and probably weren't exactly sure how many characters would be popular or which ones.

Contrary to what many believe, they don't just make these banners up immediately, they likely plan them out months in advance and stick to that schedule. I imagine they probably decided to wait a bit to judge which Three Houses characters got popular.

Æææ I'm really exited for this! I'm so glad I waited until the last second of the Legendary banner to decide if I wanted to spend on it, because I need everyone from this one! Having a complete collection of Sacred Stones units is a personal goal of mine in this game.

Tethys and Ross are instant +10 projects for me, I don't see Tethys not demoting with that awful skillset. I would love to +10 Cormag as well, and I'm really happy he's in the game, but I'm a little sad he's another Grail unit. There are so many Grail units from Sacred Stones, and most of them are in classes that make it very difficult to justify spending lots of Grails on them to go for +10. I hope he has some good skills at least. Overall I think I would have preferred one of the villains as the GHB.

As exited as I am for getting another Sacred Stones banner finally though, I have to admit there are some things I'm not so happy about here. I really wish Firesweep Axe would enter the lower pools like the other Firesweep weapons. I also wish Tethys' skillset wasn't so unexiting, the EXP skills are to skills what Arena Medals are to rewards. Them giving her "The Cleaner+" also exposes the really questionable localization of that weapon, but I guess that was inevitable. Ross being a direct demote is great, but it's sad that they have that policy of giving these units less BST. Ewan's skillset is also mediocre, and unless he has amazing stats he'll feel like he doesn't quite qualify for being 5-star exclusive just like Lugh. It's a common pattern with Sacred Stones units where I feel like I'm not really pulling for a great unit, and I'm only pulling because they are a character I really want. This problem extends to their seasonals as well, where they usually have fewer and less desirable skills.

Speaking of seasonals, Duo Heroes being treated as seasonals is kind of stupid. I'm also really conflicted about this Duo Hero in particular, because while it looks like a really fun unit to use it also confirms my fears that Duo Heroes would feel a bit arbituary and unnecessary. Their Duo Skill seems a bit underwhelming next to Hector's, but the whole idea of them is kind of wonky and hard to balance in the first place. I kind of wish that Lyon was the unit in front so that this was more of an alt for him instead of Ephraim, but even then I feel like this spot could have been filled by something better. Making a Duo Hero out of Ewan and Tethys would for example have felt more natural and could have been a good way to represent how Tethys couldn't attack. As a unit, Duo Ephraim also doesn't really implement Lyon's magic in any way. This skillset could have just been for a regular Ephraim alt, making it feel like Lyon is just there withour really doing anything. It worked with Lilina being carried by Hector, not so much here. Alts of Ephraim and Eirika are a bit too dominating in the Sacred Stones roster, and now that Ephraim has one extra on his sister it would feel natural to recieve another Eirika as well, even if that would only make it worse. Overall Duo Heroes feel poorly implemented and I'm worried for the future of the mechanic. Still mildly exited to get my first Duo Hero on this banner though, but it's not so much due to the Duo mechanic itself.

Wow that took a negative turn on a banner I'm actually exited about, but I swear I am overall happy right now. Exited to have some new +10 projects from my favourite FE game, I'm hoping I get lucky enough to pull the three who seem like they'll remain 5-star exclusive at least.

@Zeo I'm also a big fan of Ross! Happy to see you get some favourites in, let's cross our fingers for good stats!

Oh yeah, while I love Ephraim, Cormag is cool, and SS did need a new banner at some point, it sucks that Franz, Kyle, and Forde still aren't in. I mean, yeah, cavs are numerous already, especially lance ones, but these guys are early game and some of the first characters you meet. Especially Franz. I want Kyle the most out of the three. I do have bias for cavs though.

And also, when was the last time we had a Christmas cav added at all?! I think it was Oscar back in freaking 2017! On top of that, I believe he's the only one to be added since launch!

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, while I love Ephraim, Cormag is cool, and SS did need a new banner at some point, it sucks that Franz, Kyle, and Forde still aren't in. I mean, yeah, cavs are numerous already, especially lance ones, but these guys are early game and some of the first characters you meet. Especially Franz. I want Kyle the most out of the three. I do have bias for cavs though.

And also, when was the last time we had a Christmas cav added at all?! I think it was Oscar back in freaking 2017! On top of that, I believe he's the only one to be added since launch!

Huh, yeah, that sounds right.

Personally, of the missing cavs from the series, Kieran, Kent, and Sain are the ones I'd like most, followed by Franz. Does Osian count as a Christmas cav?

43 minutes ago, BoaFerox said:

I kind of wish that Lyon was the unit in front so that this was more of an alt for him instead of Ephraim,

So first we have Ephraim princess-carrying Lyon and now we have Ephraim using Lyon as a meat shield. This thread is full of wonderful imagery.

1 hour ago, BoaFerox said:

Ross being a direct demote is great, but it's sad that they have that policy of giving these units less BST. Ewan's skillset is also mediocre, and unless he has amazing stats he'll feel like he doesn't quite qualify for being 5-star exclusive just like Lugh.

@Zeo I'm also a big fan of Ross! Happy to see you get some favourites in, let's cross our fingers for good stats!

Ewan and Ross are in a good spot because unless IS has abandoned all modicum of consistency, they'll be given a BST boost because they were trainees in FE8 like Amelia (who got the trainee boost herself when she came out). Even if they're given Gen 3 BST instead of Gen 4, they're technically trainees which means they should be given the trainee boost which will be the equivalent of Gen 4 BST. 

I'm cautiously hopeful. I'll be comparing Ross' BST to Raven's. I'm just hoping they don't opt to minmax him and give him high ATK and low everything else as that's all he had going for him in FE8 unless you got lucky (I favored him but my Ross was generally always blessed and would cap just about every stat except RES. The most powerful berserker in Magvel, he was.)

Either way, I've always wanted to give the Wo Gun+ to someone but was never sure about who to build (always procrastinated with Libra). Now I have the perfect candidate. He's getting that build no matter what his stats are. Hope he comes for you quick! I pulled Bantu and Reyson relatively quickly when they came out, but it took a really long time to pull a Mordecai and I still haven't pulled a Valbar or even a Brady.

Edited by Zeo

3 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Cormag's character title is literally "Aloof Lanceman" so I'd say it's pretty unlikely that he'll be a sword unit.

Ah. Okay. Didn't see that.

I’m pretty sure IS have stated themselves that banners are decided many months in advance, so the two TH ones we received had units chosen based on who they guessed would be most popular (and Hubert lolol). Besides, if TH was a flop, imagine being stuck with so many banners of characters no one cared about v what we have now?

Anyway, who is gerik’s VA? I can’t find him anywhere!

Avoided spoilers, woo! Well, up until the thumbnail (Dammit IS!), so Farfetched is later after all.

First up, Tethys! She's a Colourless infantry dagger dancer (RIP Dark Magic glitch), coming with the cleaner, Dance, Spd/Res Bond and Dagger Exp (SHE IS DROPPING OH MY). Gerik is next, in foot with an Axe, which is Firesweep (THE MEME IS DEAD), Moonbow, Darting Blow 4, Sudden Panic and Infantry Pulse (He'll have so much HP). Ewan (WHEN ROSS) is here as red infantry tome with Raoudrserpent (MY CANAS WILL HAVE YOU), Glacies, Swift Stance 2 and Sabotage Speed (That's also something some high res units would like). And finally a duo of Ephraim and Lyon (Gayyyyy) with a lance infantry (Neat) coming with Reginleif (Armour/Cav breaker, Atk +3, If Atk is higher than opponents/unit has extra movement, is guaranteed to double) (WOO), Draconic Aura, Heavy Blade 4 (YES, it's like Flashing and all), Lull Atk/Def and Odd Atk Wave. The Duo skill grants move to armour and infantry in 3 columns around them. THEN ROSS SHOWS UP AS OUR DEMOTE THEY'RE GOING TO RUIN HIM. Cormag's also the GHB, so he's at least got a chance.

So we got fodder, Ghast's favourite, fodder and a duo hero. Also ruining my favourite unit of the bunch and a flying GHB again. I mean, I guess.

Good thing Reginleif has no slaying effect, for Galeforce he’ll need quickened pulse. 

Decent stat spread, I think the movement will be be better once people figure out how to benefit from it properly. Hector is still and armour with low move, this Duo hero will probably stay around after bonus rotation ends. Hector I don’t see that often now, and probably even less after he’s not a bonus unit anymore.

@Zeo Wooooo Ross is here! Nice for you that he's not 5 star locked!! Give your many DCs to him 

Also great for me, I like Ross and Cormag the most, and Cormag is the GHB!! Don't care if he's mediocre, I don't need orbs to get him and that's fine since I don't have any right now! The only downside is no accessories for them but I hope Ross at least gets cameos for the Forging Bonds stories.

Also Gerik looks great, also a favourite and has great art. Don't care about the duo unit, so I'll use tickets on green (and hopefully get Ross/Python)

Ross looks like he's done by Meka, same artist as Silas.

44 minutes ago, SockPuppet said:

I’m pretty sure IS have stated themselves that banners are decided many months in advance, so the two TH ones we received had units chosen based on who they guessed would be most popular (and Hubert lolol). Besides, if TH was a flop, imagine being stuck with so many banners of characters no one cared about v what we have now?

Yeah, that's most likely why. Kind of risky to go too hard on a new game's units when you're unsure of how they'll be received.

We'll likely see a ton more Three Houses units in 2020.

I'm so happy for Gerik and Tethys! Been waiting on them for a LONG time. I do wish Tethys' kit was better though.

7 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Tethys looks dull and bland and all around not interesting, which is a shame because she is gonna be the demote without question, and she won't even bring anything new (which is to say, any previously 5* locked skills or weapons) to the 4* pool...

She's bring Dagger Exp 3, which is admittedly, not a great skill. But what she does bring is being a colorless dagger dancer, with her only competition being Olivia and Xander, who are locked to seasonal banners. So she'll be the only year rounder and the one that will be much easier to build up. I do think her usefullness as a character will have to depend on her stats a bit though.

5 hours ago, Florete said:

Garbage, Tethys is supposed to use dark magic.

I was hoping for this too. I knew they would make her a dagger unit but hoping they would make her a dark magic user instead, like a red tome dancer or even a colorless tome dancer.

2 hours ago, SockPuppet said:

Anyway, who is gerik’s VA? I can’t find him anywhere!

I mean, last year they already announced march banner will be binding blade....from november. Safe to say 5 month is the minimum planning.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Christmas Cav? Do you mean the last demoted Cavalry unit from a banner?

Sorry for the confusion, because for me "Christmas" would be related to the Christmas Banner in December, and I was like: "We didn't get any Christmas Cavalry unit in any seasonal banner... we only got those damn armored units!

4 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Christmas Cav? Do you mean the last demoted Cavalry unit from a banner?

Sorry for the confusion, because for me "Christmas" would be related to the Christmas Banner in December, and I was like: "We didn't get any Christmas Cavalry unit in any seasonal banner... we only got those damn armored units!

She meant the red- green  armored  cav duo. like Abel and Cain, Stahl and Sully... cause the color of xmas are red and green. 

2 minutes ago, DraceEmpressa said:

She meant the red- green  armored  cav duo. like Abel and Cain, Stahl and Sully... cause the color of xmas are red and green. 

Ooooooooooohh... That's dumb

Well... only the color then because he is not part of any duo... He is part of a siblings trio thing, just like the Whitewings.

An FE8 banner out of nowhere! And a Gerik's Mercenaries one at that! I want everyone, but mostly that Ephraim+Lyon Duo Unit, especially after y'alls pointed out the small print. I'm so relieved Eirika didn't get an alt here, Brave Eirika please!

4 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Brave Eirika please!

Next year will be a pretty hard one... I just gave up from Brave Marth since Dimitri, Claude, and the rest of the 3H male characters will be in next year's event. Please Gatekeeper!!!

But Eirika may have a chance. Maybe not against Edelgard, who I believe will be one of the most popular ones, but maybe against the others... So I hope get gets this time!