If Fire Emblem 3 Houses ever got an anime, and could only cover 1 route, which route would it cover?

Gordin

Favouritism aside, I think that in the unlikely event that 3 houses ever got an anime, it'd probably be Azura Moon or Silver Snow because those are not only the most popular, but would also have the most exciting events methinks. Thoughts?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is SS really more popular? I had the impression people preferred VW to it (I myself love it, so I'm happy either way). I think, if such an anime made Byleth a speaking, main protagonist, SS would be the more emotional route, since

Spoiler

the Edelgard reveal and her subsequent execution

would hit harder for them (and thus the viewer) that way.

Byleth could stick with one of the houses but it should cover parts from the other perspectives that felt kind of left out like Dimitri's death in Golden Deer route.

That said, I'd prefer the Golden Deer route myself. It sucks that it and the church route are basically copy paste of each other but these are the routes where most of the "resolutions" are actually encompassed and playthrough. Azure Moon wouldn't work to me because it doesn't address Shambhala or reveal the truths of Fodlan's legends and Crimson Flower is obviously too big a step in the opposite direction of where the other routes go to.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

The church route might end up being the one to focus on. Its more conventional than the Crimson Rose path but it still allows for a lot of contact with the much hyped Edelgard. It does seem the least interesting of all the routes though. 

For part 1 Blue Lions seems the way to go since its characters get more focus but you run into trouble around part 2 since its the only route that doesn't get into the Slitherers much. 

Honestly I’d imagine they would actually try to combine 3 of the four routes(unless they go the FSN route like ufotable and adapt them one at a time) through the silver snow route cause you can easily combine Verdent wind and silver snow and it wouldn’t be too hard to squeeze azure moon in there either. Really the only difficult part would be implementing the “battle of gronder field” but they could still do it just have Byleth be absent.

Silver snow seems most plausible since its the one route where Byleth is the actual main lord.

But they should atleast go over important parts of the other routes as footnotes and such. Not completely ignoring them.

Assuming creative liberties are allowed, they could rewrite it so that professors switch classes on a regular basis allowing screen time for all three houses. And also opening the door for all those kids to join Byleth post-time skip since he was just such a good guy to them. It's cheesy and will get us asking uncomfortable questions about the kids' allegiances but I think it's the smoothest way to focus on one of the four routes as opposed to doing a "Revelation" rewrite where everybody lives at the end. 

Sigh...of course a Revelation rewrite of Three Houses could potentially thrash the quality of Three Houses' writing we're working with so...I wouldn't leave that option off the table.

Just speaking personally, and I imagine this would be extremely unpopular, but I would instead be for a slice-of-life story focused on adventures around the Monastery as opposed to covering the war.

The way I see it, them choosing one path above the others is only one potential problem. Anime adaptations of video games are notorious for needing to cut out a lot of important story elements from the games they're trying to adapt and more often than not end up half baked. Look no further than the anime adaptations of the Persona games which are SEVERELY underdeveloped because of how much they cut out.

I'd be worried of a Three Houses anime focusing on the war segment to end up just as half-baked regardless of which route they choose (and even more so if they ended up fusing routes to some extent).

I would imagine that, while Silver Snow may make the most sense, Azure Moon obviously has the biggest fan base, and the most love poured into it. Crimson Flower would allow for some expansion on the route, possibly, which could help make it feel less empty. In the end, I'd be alright with any route, so long as the writers would be brutal with character deaths, to really drive home that core element of Fire Emblem.

I haven't even finished my first playthrough yet (Black Eagles), so I can't really give an answer. I'll just say this:

I know this isn't the question, but with the story of Three Houses as divided as it is, I just don't think it would make sense for a Three Houses anime to only show one route. Not only would it potentially divide fans, it would really only present part of the whole story as a result. 

I genuinely think that, although it would be hard, the only way to properly present Fire Emblem: Three Houses' story in an anime would be to present a timey-wimey scenario of sorts where we see all four routes, then Byleth is sent all the way back in time and asked by Sothis, "All sides of time are in front of you; what will you do now?" or something like that. 

If we make the Rotating Professor Schedule, like real life schools, all three lords (and Seteth) would appear post-timeskip.

The writers will only have to think about who is Byleth gonna meet. Are we gonna assume that no one is recruited from all students? The most probable recruits will probably be those unfought (ie Marianne).

I'd go with Church, except post-timeskip the BE members still remain as enemies. It would really drive home the whole thing about killing basically all of your former allies pretty much.

And during part 1, Byleth would have a fairly equal amount of interactions with each house.

Another thought if they went for the church route is that they could do Crimson flower in the form of a movie or something considering how short it is anyway

3 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Anime adaptations of video games are notorious for needing to cut out a lot of important story elements from the games they're trying to adapt and more often than not end up half baked. Look no further than the anime adaptations of the Persona games which are SEVERELY underdeveloped because of how much they cut out.

And wasn't the Devil Survivor 2 anime bloody bad?

Persona 5 is a pretty popular video game, Pokemon is a pretty popular video game franchise until this upcoming gen. If P5 gets a bad anime, and Pokemon a live-action movie that is good only by the low standards of video game movies, then what chance does 3H have of a good anime?

Not having watched any video game anime adaption beyond a little Pokemon as a kid, or any video game movie, I'll withhold endorsing the statement "pick whichever route you like the least, because it's gonna bomb". And I won't endorse that, because I want to be a little optimistic.

But, out of a light schadenfreude, if an anime were to happen, and if the anime was bad, I will be here on SF. Quietly reading your responses to the outrageous errors made by the show, eating some kettle corn as you scream "Rushed!", "Out of Character!", "Contrived!", and "Who the F*** decided to murder half of the Blue Lions in a single episode and three-fourths of the Golden Deers over the whole thing?". Please, be deliciously dramatic, if it came to it. I hope that the hypothetical anime isn't hypothetically bad.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 hours ago, Gordin said:

Favouritism aside, I think that in the unlikely event that 3 houses ever got an anime, it'd probably be Azura Moon or Silver Snow because those are not only the most popular, but would also have the most exciting events methinks. Thoughts?

Silver Snow has come last in every favourite route poll I've ever seen, including ones on this forum.

Anyway I'd expect an anime adaptation to have creative re-writes so it somewhat follows the plot of multiple routes at once, but I imagine Azure Moon would be the primary source material, both because it's the most narratively complete story as it stands and also appears to be the most popular overall. But I'd expect far more parity between the three lords than any one route offers.

It doesn't have to be just one route as an anime because the delivery of media is different than a video game,

but it would be probably Silver Snow based (for all the above reasons) with tons of elements from AM and VW (showing what other lords are doing),

with original contents showing Edelgard and empire side, at least making them more sympathetic than just Silver Snow view, maybe also original on 5 years and TWISTD.

Edited by Timlugia

Just now, Timlugia said:

It doesn't have to be just one route as an anime because the delivery of media is different than a video game,

but it would be probably Silver Snow based (for all the above reasons) with tons of elements from AM and VW (showing what other lords are doing),

with original contents showing Edelgard and empire side, at least making them more sympathetic than just Silver Snow view.

Silver Snow made Edelgard a lot more sympathetic than Verdant Wind and Azure Moon

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And wasn't the Devil Survivor 2 anime bloody bad?

Persona 5 is a pretty popular video game, Pokemon is a pretty popular video game franchise until this upcoming gen. If P5 gets a bad anime, and Pokemon a live-action movie that is good only by the low standards of video game movies, then what chance does 3H have of a good anime?

Not having watched any video game anime adaption beyond a little Pokemon as a kid, or any video game movie, I'll withhold endorsing the statement "pick whichever route you like the least, because it's gonna bomb". And I won't endorse that, because I want to be a little optimistic.

But, out of a light schadenfreude, if an anime were to happen, and if the anime was bad, I will be here on SF. Quietly reading your responses to the outrageous errors made by the show, eating some kettle corn as you scream "Rushed!", "Out of Character!", "Contrived!", and "Who the F*** decided to murder half of the Blue Lions in a single episode and three-fourths of the Golden Deers over the whole thing?". Please, be deliciously dramatic, if it came to it. I hope that the hypothetical anime isn't hypothetically bad.

I actually thought Detective Pikachu was a pretty good movie, and I mean that unironically. 

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I dunno, I heard Persona 4: The Animation was pretty good.

I'd make it a combination of the non-CF routes. Byleth leads the Black Eagles but also spends time with the other houses, giving Byleth and Edelgard a more personal connection while also giving Claude and Dimitri proper screentime. Byleth works together with both Dimitri and Claude after the timeskip, allowing for the inclusion of Dimitri's character arc and Claude's desire to unearth Fódlan's secrets. And within spoiler territory:

Spoiler

After Edelgard's defeat, TWSITD use their javelins of light on the castle to eliminate all their enemies at once. Edelgard doesn't try to save herself, but Byleth rescues her anyway and everyone escapes. Edelgard is too despondent to help raid Shambhala, so the party goes and defeats Thales without her. Then Nemesis shows up and Edelgard finally decides to help stop him for the good of Fódlan. Rhea sacrifices her life to defeat Nemesis, and with him defeated, Byleth becomes ruler of Fódlan, Claude returns to Almyra, Dimitri works to restore the Kingdom, and Edelgard says farewell to Byleth before vanishing to parts unknown alongside Hubert. Happy end!

Gee, this ended up being more detailed than I expected it to be. But I ended up making it a golden route so it's probably not any good.

12 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

I actually thought Detective Pikachu was a pretty good movie, and I mean that unironically. 

I've never seen it myself, I couldn't bring myself ever to do so. So what you say is infinitely more valuable than my secondhand information.

2 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I dunno, I heard Persona 4: The Animation was pretty good.

I did hear some people defend this as the one good Persona anime of three of them and two P3 movies. And some people liked some sort of P5 OVA too. And it's not anime exactly, but I know that Kingsglaive(?) Final Fantasy XV prequel movie has been heralded as better than stuff in the actual game.

And again, I'm just going off of what others say, so pay me little mind. 

19 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Gee, this ended up being more detailed than I expected it to be. But I ended up making it a golden route so it's probably not any good.

I think it's still possible to make an okay golden route. Not sure what it'd need, but if the essence of "golden" is everyone of first-rate importance lives (or close to it), then you might be able to compensate with other serious sacrifices. Devil Survivor 2's obvious "95% golden ending" still has someone die who on other routes could live.

Not a "serious sacrifice"- Iggy, with his glasses smashed and blood smearing in his eyes blinding him, catching on fire and then with hands running into Raphael screaming his name, hugging him and accidentally killing him too with the flames in the middle of a battle scene. That, if Iggy has done nothing but breathe and exist up to that point, is a poor sacrifice.

Perhaps kill a second-in-command or two of the house leaders? That could be a "good sacrifice" that doesn't prevent things from being pretty gilded at the end. And, perhaps create some lasting consequence for the world, a price that is paid for some reason that stems from everyone not working together initially, nor not a single individual emerging on top?

-But I haven't a clue what that consequence would look like in 3H, if it is at all possible for there to be one of those. I know nothing about good writing in general.