Not Sure If a Topic on This Has Been Made Before, But... (Chapter 21 GD-VW SPOILERS!)

...When I saw the aesthetics of Chapter 21 GD, I was like "Sci-fi in my FE?!". 

FE has never done sci-fi before, and I would not have expected it to be so advanced. I'd have expected more steampunk stuff first, not clean light blue laser-y spacey sci-fi. Tell when the DLC has Byleth fight in cyberspace against Data Nemesis, or a three houses clash at Gronder's Selene Sea on the moon via the activating the monastery's ancient, forgotten, and forbidden air/spaceship mode hidden in the sauna.

Getting to the point, did you like the sci-fi? Were you okay with it? Do you want more in FE, don't care, or want less/none?

You could arguably put this in General FE, but this being a reaction explicitly to a spoilers-rific chapter of 3H, I decided to put it here.

(Mods, you can delete this topic if it has been made previously.)

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Honestly, a little disappointed we didn't board a rocket and flown into space. Every game franchise has that "F*** it, let's go to space" moment. Call of Duty had it. Mario had it. Zelda looks like it's on the verge of having it - I see that castle lifting into the sky! Either that's a rocket ship or Bowser managed to build his castle underground to lift it into the air like in Paper Mario in a bid to capture the princess.

I really did not like this aesthetic at all. I really honestly miss the days of Fire Emblem being a more standard medieval war drama. The rest of 3H is great for the most part, but this level really rubbed me the wrong way. It is just plain ugly, and in no way does it belong in a Fire Emblem game.

While in retrospect it doesn't bother me, my first time encountering it was odd. I mean with the technologically advanced golems you fight before hand it's not that big of a stretch, but it's still really weird. While personally I don't want much sci-fi in FE, I feel like if they do it they should have it be the theme instead of just one random chapter.

I adored it! It was so bizarre and an awesome twist after the strangely modern "javelins of light"! To be fair the game already had automatons (edit: @Silver-Haired Maiden ninja'd me on this part 😛), so there were hints pointing at the sci-fi elements, but yeah: I loved it! More, please!

Edited by DefyingFates

I always found ancient advanced civilizations to be pretty interesting so i did like the concept of Shambala. However, like Nemesis, Shambala came out of nowhere. If we could have much more lore on Shambala and the Agarthans, then i could truly like it.

Though it does beg the question of how the fuck anyone was able to beat those mechs with primitive weapons.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I always found ancient advanced civilizations to be pretty interesting so i did like the concept of Shambala. However, like Nemesis, Shambala came out of nowhere. If we could have much more lore on Shambala and the Agarthans, then i could truly like it.

Though it does beg the question of how the fuck anyone was able to beat those mechs with primitive weapons.

Anything breaks if you hit it hard enough (keep in mind we're using metal weapons as well). Also, magic 😛

It confirmed that dragons > nukes in the cutscene that followed, so I'm totally okay with it.

More seriously, I absolutely loved it. It was like a real, actual "What the hell?!?" moment for me, because I did not expect that in a Fire Emblem game. Sure, the trope of "ancient civilization was more advanced than the current one" has been done before in games, but I was still very much surprised to see it pop up in Fire Emblem of all franchises.

The only thing that bugged me about it aesthetics-wise was the dubstep. I'm not a fan of that particular style of music in the first place, so that detracted a bit from my enjoyment. It was fitting for the setting, sure, but the music itself... eh. Not my cup of tea.
Gameplay-wise, I didn't like the infinite siege weapons that you can't destroy. Everything else about the map was a-okay.

As far as futuristic Fire Emblem in general goes, I have a feeling it would just end up being another X-Com. I haven't played X-Com, but I have seen it and if I had to imagine a futuristic Fire Emblem, it would probably be something along the lines of that.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I didn't play with animations on, nor did I ever zoom in, but compared to the map itself, the mechs looked significantly less advanced. A bit of technological disconnect, they didn't even have lasers like the two turrets, just big metal swords. Something closer to Gerolf Sovereigns would have been better design-wise, to name a generic enemy from a game you've played, but not the game itself.

You could say that maybe the passing of the ages rusted the robots to a degree. Or, for physical weaponry, you could say "they hit the vulnerable joints", or the weapons dealt concussive force to inflict damage.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Chapter 21 has influences from Xenoblade.

The place and music style remind me on Morytha.

That said the music does suit to the map design, mainly the mechs, but not to the series.

Fire Emblem with electro synth beats feels odd to me.

In general I am not a fan of mechs in RPGs.

Edited by Lysithea

Didn't bother me at all. In fact I really loved it because they suggested this ancient civilization became powerful and advanced enough to challenge "Gods" (aka: Sothis), so I think I would have been disappointed if it looked like this super primitive civilization that was hiding underground.

If their technology had the power to ravage the world, forcing Sothis to sleep, then it makes sense for them to be crazy advanced, so I loved that they stuck with the lore and truly made it feel out of place, because it was supposed to be. 

Just a note, I think Shambhla built up was less developed because they moved Nemesis fight from before the level to the after, there was probably some explanations about Shabhla that was cut as result.

My theory was that the original script was after Enbarr and Edelgard fell, TWISTD released their greatest weapon: Nemesis and 10 Elites against Byleth and Rhea to slow down their advance on Shambhla, you only then attack Shambhala after defeating Nemesis.

The evidence are:

- In the curscene library, Nemesis was taken place between Death of Edelgard and Rhea shielding you, indicating this was the original placement.

- Nemesis was yelling challenge to Seiros, Rhea told you in the previous level she's joining the war. It would makes sense having them fight as a rematch.

- Geographically the battlefield against Nemesis took place between Enbarr and Shambhala, a reasonable location according to story, and more logical than Nemesis came up from Shambhala after you already killed everyone there.

- Nemesis and ten elites all equip with TWISTD version of relics, it also makes sense that they were equip by Agarthan for battle rather than "magically" finding all these weapons in the ruin.

Loved it as a legitimate shock/change of pace, though I’m not necessarily down for it becoming prevalent in future games, depends on how they execute it.

I seem to recall there being an FE-type game with robot walkers, turrets and the like, but it’s name escapes me.

Edited by Escape the Fate

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You could say that maybe the passing of the ages rusted the robots to a degree. Or, for physical weaponry, you could say "they hit the vulnerable joints", or the weapons dealt concussive force to inflict damage.

Byleth is physically strong enough to swing a whip sword, have the point of it impale and shatter a metal/stone mask of a demonic beast and then fling said beast through the air. The Crest bearing characters are so disgustingly superhuman I can completely see them smashing the Agarthan robots with primitive weapons.

Haven't played the game myself, so I can't comment on the handling of the level and how well it fits into the larger story. I can say that is that it makes me wish Three Houses had weapons that were a combination of futuristic and medieval. Kinda like this:

Spoiler

D09CC33DE400146BE81399CE69C8854718E7F7A9EB2C8FAA6FF2113B3BA56B6594FD154106B7D18828A30315A76FEE37E46D239CB0EE6E61626583F09826DBB39355474492AD88745D24F7E07E501750018380836481EA28E414775878C8948CBDCFB6B75578CF8AC9D05FE94DCA0008836E4A5ACEF94880

Pictures from Shadow Warrior 2

(And yes, the last one is a chainsaw katana. It's that kind of game. I still want one in Fire Emblem)

Of course, DLC can always change that.

I always thought the whole point of Shambala was to be as unfitting as humanly possible to hammer the fact that TWSITD can never truly belong in the current world : regardless if they somehow manage to exterminate everything remotely related to the church or decide to make peace with it, they will never be able to go back to the glory days of Agartha, and are doomed to live in a potentially eternal lie (as it's implied they can revive themselve with the crest stones implanted in their bodies, but their true self are essentially rotten to the core).

I don’t mind the futuristic setting. It’s supposed to be a technologically advanced city, hence the future look. And is FE really midieval? I feel like it’s renaissance to early modern times. My only complaint about Shambala is that it hardly appears because TWSID are poorly written and barely get the spotlight.

2 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

I don’t mind the futuristic setting. It’s supposed to be a technologically advanced city, hence the future look. And is FE really midieval? I feel like it’s renaissance to early modern times. My only complaint about Shambala is that it hardly appears because TWSID are poorly written and barely get the spotlight.

I always wonder if there are more than one city...it's called Area 17 in sound tracks, so maybe there are at least 16 others?

I liked it, honestly! The mysic and aesthetic really made this location stand out.

As for the general series... IDK. I think I'd prefer them using magic to "cheat" their way to pre-modern tech. Like, heating systems powered with fire magic, or public transit powered by wind magic. I liked to imagine Begnion had shit like this, especially in Sienne.

On 11/9/2019 at 1:44 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I liked it, honestly! The mysic and aesthetic really made this location stand out.

As for the general series... IDK. I think I'd prefer them using magic to "cheat" their way to pre-modern tech. Like, heating systems powered with fire magic, or public transit powered by wind magic. I liked to imagine Begnion had shit like this, especially in Sienne.

Ooh, this is a good idea! I'd love to see something like this someday!

Heck, for all we know Shambhala was already doing this, we just didn't see it.