This genetic disorder is a really interesting talking point regarding gender issues

Dr. C

Alpha 5 Reductase Syndrome is a rare genetic disorder where someone biologically male is born female because of a defect in the Y  Chrinosome where there is an absence of Type 1 Testosterone-The testosterone responsible for altering the female genitals in the womb, 

The result is that type 2-Testosterone, the testosterone released during puberty, caused the changes that should have happened in the womb literally resulting in an overnight sex change.

This disorder was discovered when an island in the Dominican Republic consisted of a tribe of males, females and former females.

Despite the disorder interestingly, because of the nature of tribes and men being needed for labor and hunting, gender nornaitivity oersisted but modified such that ignored you were raised a girl and became man you were given a late bloomer treatment with the tribe understanding the extra time into will take to transition into a new societal role.

How this entire village got such a prolific spread of a rare genetic disorder was traced back to essentially a common ancestor who was female who slept around with a lot of different men passing the disorder along various bloodlines in the tribe.

I take a look at this and think to myself, what a fascinating and mind boggling case study.

I wanted to know what everyone’s take is on this subject and how it affects the dialogue of sex and gender interactions.

Edited by Dr. C

In terms of the left and middle, I do not think it affects anything. Not sure about the right.

To me, a person's sexual orientation, religion, race, etc. are as trivial as their job, hair color, or favorite waifu. I care to know about that info in the sense of getting to know the person more, but I do not care about that info in the sense that it does not affect how I see that person.

As long as the person is not a thief, bashing on gay people, torture animals, etc. I do not care what they do behind closed doors or under the sheets. Basically, just do not be an asshole and we can be buddies.

4 hours ago, Dr. C said:

How this entire village got such a prolific spread of a rare genetic disorder was traced back to essentially a common ancestor who was female who slept around with a lot of different men passing the disorder along various bloodlines in the tribe.

How could it be the female's fault?

The Y Chromosome is from male only.

Huh, interesting.

14 minutes ago, Tetragrammaton said:

Quite likely, she was basically a carrier. Not affectd by it but capable of passing it down to her children. Which combined with her choice of lifestyle, means it spread.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

As long as the person is not a thief, bashing on gay people, torture animals, etc. I do not care what they do behind closed doors or under the sheets. Basically, just do not be an asshole and we can be buddies.

Basically this.

So my question is, were a lot of people on this island coming out as trans? It seems that way but it wasn't worded too clearly, it sounds more like they were physically morphing into the opposite sex. Which if it's this...HOW.

Reminds me a gene that makes fruit flies gay was found.

Edited by Dragoncat

2 hours ago, XRay said:

In terms of the left and middle, I do not think it affects anything. Not sure about the right.

To me, a person's sexual orientation, religion, race, etc. are as trivial as their job, hair color, or favorite waifu. I care to know about that info in the sense of getting to know the person more, but I do not care about that info in the sense that it does not affect how I see that person.

I completely agree. I am biromantic homosexual but when I have to describe myself I say gay. It does nothing but add a 15 minute to an hour discussion on the romantic spectrum that may or may not educate the person and only serves to make me look more exotic for shallow reasons. I'd rather talk about and be defined by  my interests, my hobbies, my likes and dislikes and general character traits. 

The one identity I do assert is my high functioning autism but that's admittedly overcompensating for essentially being forbidden to say the word or even acknowledge the disability exists around people I am in constant close proximity to in real life. 

48 minutes ago, Tetragrammaton said:

I'm not slut shaming. I am making a simple statement of fact. Promscuity is not stigmatized by calling the person promiscuous anymore than calling a person schizophrenic because they hear voices in their head and falsely believe they work for the CIA is stigmatizing a mental illness. 

Besides, it takes a whole new level of judgmental to look down upon a woman that's been dead well over a century before I was born.

And as for the second, well I'm not a genetics expert. I learned this in a psych class. That's my educational background.

12 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

So my question is, were a lot of people on this island coming out as trans? It seems that way but it wasn't worded too clearly, it sounds more like they were physically morphing into the opposite sex. Which if it's this...HOW.

For XY bodies, this is actually something that happens during the development of the fetus. That's how it works. This is mostly when it comes to the external genitalia, though. Internally, they're still male. The disorder is that this particular process fails to happen. So the body looks externally female; but it's still male on the inside. Then, when puberty hits, the body essentially catches up, so it might look like they're changing sex; but it's really their bodies are simply making that final change that should've happened while in the womb.

If they don't have the means to check the internal organs, then it would make sense if they're simply treated as girls at first.

13 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Basically this.

It's as I described. Their bodies morphed. Biologically male but appeared female ad thus self identified as such until puberty at which point they self identified as male.. Female is the default sex when a baby is conceived but type 1 testosterone degenerates the ovaries into testes. 

So whether or not these people would qualify as transgender I'm uncertain of.

Trans issues are complex so I don't want to say something overly simplistic minus debunking the myth that it is impossible to be born in the wrong body Ina very in your face  scientifically irrefutable kind of way.

My personal position on transgender people is very simply no matter how hard I try, I always get pronouns wrong. Maybe it's some quirk of my autism or maybe it's something else I'm not diagnosed with but Ive failed enough times to know its not willful prejudice at this point. It is frustrating, disheartening and given how more and more normal it is to attack people who get pronouns wrong once let alone repeatedly like myself, it makes me want to avoid trains people not because I don't sympathize with them or Inhate them but simply social self preservation. I'm too afraid of making a mistake to behave normally around them at this point. 

Im a mixed race minority. Looking in the mirror and having some form of dysmorphia or an identity crisis on a daily basis is kind of psychologically routine for me so I can certainly sympathize and can appreciate their plight. I just compulsively use they all the time when I don't know someone's gender identity and hope it's enough. 

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Huh, interesting.

Quite likely, she was basically a carrier. Not affectd by it but capable of passing it down to her children. Which combined with her choice of lifestyle, means it spread.

41 minutes ago, Dr. C said:

I'm not slut shaming. I am making a simple statement of fact. Promscuity is not stigmatized by calling the person promiscuous anymore than calling a person schizophrenic because they hear voices in their head and falsely believe they work for the CIA is stigmatizing a mental illness. 

Besides, it takes a whole new level of judgmental to look down upon a woman that's been dead well over a century before I was born.

And as for the second, well I'm not a genetics expert. I learned this in a psych class. That's my educational background.

Oh, no, I don't care about she was a slut or not. But this is a defect Y Chromosome, so it can only came from a male carrier.

It's more likely came from a male chief/rapist rather than a slut.

Edit:

About the transgender, I once heard about the term "trans les top", which means:

He was born as a male.

He wants transgender to female.

This female is a lesbian.

This lesbian is a top.

So s/he is a trans, but wants to keep his penis for her girlfriend.

Edited by Tetragrammaton

The Y chromosome is tiny and genes from other chromosomes also play a role in sexual development, so it could be a gene on another chromosome that is defective.  I have heard this story, but don't remember the exact details.

I think these people would be considered intersex.  They could be called trans, but not in the sense most people think, which is usually strictly a mental condition.  (I am trans, saying it's a mental condition is being medically accurate, not derogatory.)

Sexual development is a complex beast, and not as simple as some people would like to think.

8 hours ago, Tetragrammaton said:

Oh, no, I don't care about she was a slut or not. But this is a defect Y Chromosome, so it can only came from a male carrier.

It's more likely came from a male chief/rapist rather than a slut.

Edit:

About the transgender, I once heard about the term "trans les top", which means:

He was born as a male.

He wants transgender to female.

This female is a lesbian.

This lesbian is a top.

So s/he is a trans, but wants to keep his penis for her girlfriend.

Not all trans women want bottom surgery, for a variety of reasons, whether it be that, fear of potential poor results, or just not having bad bottom dysphoria.

12 hours ago, Rezzy said:

The Y chromosome is tiny and genes from other chromosomes also play a role in sexual development, so it could be a gene on another chromosome that is defective.  I have heard this story, but don't remember the exact details.

I think these people would be considered intersex.  They could be called trans, but not in the sense most people think, which is usually strictly a mental condition.  (I am trans, saying it's a mental condition is being medically accurate, not derogatory.)

Sexual development is a complex beast, and not as simple as some people would like to think.

Not all trans women want bottom surgery, for a variety of reasons, whether it be that, fear of potential poor results, or just not having bad bottom dysphoria.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34290981

They are Guevedoces.

18 hours ago, eclipse said:

. . .and that went the wrong way in a hurry.  Good night.

I haven’t read the responses since @Rezzy in detail just yet.

What is the wrong here? 

I am just checking. I want this thread to be constructive.