Favorite Shounen-esque hype moments

Ottservia

I am shounen trash okay. I am fully willing to admit that and I need an excuse to talk about things that get my inner shounen hype child screaming with excitement so name some moments in games or anime that get you going with a buzz of excitement and hype. It doesn't have to be from a battle shounen per say. It just needs to give off that same feeling of hype.

For me, personally:

1. that moment during the naruto war arc where Naruto and Kurama finally connect and unlock tailed beast mode for the first time is just such an awesome scene and the musical accompaniment just adds so much the rush of adrenaline I feel whenever I watch it.

2. Alfonse's whole "it must be difficult for the ruler of the dead to understand those who still have beating hearts" in the most recent feh chapter. That whole scene is just all kinds of thrilling. Alfonse is such a badass and I love it.

3. Awakening endgame when Robin rises due to friendship power. Is it corny and cliche as all hell? yes. Do I love it anyway? abso-fucking-lutely! It's just such a good moment. 

4. That moment when Luffy punched a celestial dragon probably one of my favorite moments in one piece bar none.

5. Pretty much fairy tail in its entirety.

6. Midoriya vs. that muscle dude in MHA. Oh that moment is just too good. 

Like I said I'm shounen trash and I'm not afraid to admit that.

My all time favorite is at the end of Saiyuki Reload Blast (the anime) where Sanzo and co. tell the Sanbushin that they are still going to take on the Demon King despite being fired and told to go back home.

I also love the part in Noblesse (the webtoon) where M-21 get caught and held captive, but instead of giving the bad guys what they want he makes the most annoying bad guy make him ramen.

10 hours ago, Ottservia said:

4. That moment when Luffy punched a celestial dragon probably one of my favorite moments in one piece bar none.

This is up there for me and it's still one of the best animated moments from the anime in my opinion.

My favorite moment is probably Simon's My bro is dead speech from Gurren Lagann though.

Other good ones for me will always be the majority of the dark tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho.

I'm a big fan of triumphant victories against seemingly impossible odds. Among that category, the one moment that gets to me more than any other was Eren plugging the hole in Wall Rose. Humanity taking a 100 years worth of collective Ls to finally taste one victory is a tear-jerker that I'm not afraid to admit

• 3 months later...

I'd have to sort them by the piece of media they were in:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood:

• Ed vs Greed, when he figures out he can turn Greed's diamond-hard skin into graphite.
  • Roy Mustang burning Lust after having to carve the Flame Alchemy matrix on his hand and cauterize his stab wounds with alchemy and Havoc's ruined lighter. This one's my favourite.
  • Ling and Lan-Fan surviving and escaping Wrath.
  • Alphonse and Hohenheim trapping Pride in a dirt dome.
  • Hohenheim revealing that Homunculus can't drain him as he spent decades speaking with and calming all 500,000+ souls Homunculus trapped in his body.
  • Hohenheim and the Xerxes souls unleashing a counter-alchemy that returns the souls of the people of Amestris to their bodies. 
  • The Northern Forces proving themselves to not be a redshirt army by endlessly barraging Homunculus so he can't counterattack them.
  • Greed turning Homunculus into graphite.
  • Alphonse returning to his original body so Ed can get his arm back.
  • Truth calling out Homunculus on his inferiority complex and telling him, "You should've seen the answer right in front of you"
  • Ed getting Al back by sacrificing his Gate of Truth (i.e. his alchemy). 

One-Punch Man:

• Mumen Rider vs Deep Sea King, and Mumen RIder's speech during the fight: "No one expects much from me... They think a C-Class hero won't be much help. I know that better than anyone. I'm not good enough for Class B. I'm weak. I know that much. No one has to tell me I have no chance of beating you. I already... know that! And yet, I must try. It's not about winning or losing! It's about me taking you on right here, right now!" What a hero
  • Basically every single part of Saitama vs Boros is a hype moment. First, Boros surviving Saitama's regular punch. Then, Boros keeping up with Saitama in speed; something no one else has done. Then Boros going Meteoric Burst and kicking Saitama to the moon. Then Saitama jumping back to the exact same spot on Earth from the moon. Then Boros surviving consecutive normal punches. Then Boros unleashing his ultimate move: "Collapsing Star, Roaring Cannon" while Saitama unleashes his finishing move: "Serious Series: Serious Punch!"

Does Yuri pulling off his scheme in chapter 6 of Cindered Shadows count? Standing on the blood drainer, blood drain effects in the air behind him, while assuring his fellow wolves he has a plan and they will not die. Fuck you, Aelfric.

3 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Does Yuri pulling off his scheme in chapter 6 of Cindered Shadows count? Standing on the blood drainer, blood drain effects in the air behind him, while assuring his fellow wolves he has a plan and they will not die. Fuck you, Aelfric.

of course that counts. The entire time I was just shouting "Hype anime rescue let's go!!!!!"

5 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

of course that counts. The entire time I was just shouting "Hype anime rescue let's go!!!!!"

NOBODY HURTS THE GOOD BOYS AND GIRLS OF THE ASHEN WOLVES ON MY WATCH

I can do this the whole day, i think i will make multiple posts about this. For now i will limit myself to one per Anime.

1) Phoenix Ikki vs Virgo Shaka (Saint Seya)

Just to put into perspective: Shaka is so overpowered that the Big Bad of the arc he was in and two other golden saint had to fight him togheter to even stand a chance, and Ikki actually manage to scare him trought sheer determination.

2)Gohan going SSJ2

The moment that made me into a fan of the pacifist character that became an unstopable force if they got angry enought. The Abridged even improve his part.

3)Kenshin vs Shishio(Fuck you Watsuki)

In particular the ending where Shishio end up getting destroyed by his own lust for war and violence. Definitely my favourite fight in anime

4)Red,Green and Blue teaming up (pokemon adventure)

The manga interpretation of the Sylph SPA had many fun ideas that predates lots of thing used in the franchise later. In particular i love that some Gym Leaders sided with Giovanni, inventing the concept of evil team admins before the game, or how they win the final battle by using Trainer's Final Smash before even Melee was a thing.

5)Spark Liner High bad ending (Fate Stay Night)

Shiro fought an opponent 50 times stronger than him... and go so much trought his limits that he manage to win, even if his mind remain utterly destroyed by the exertion. I really hope that Ufotable will animate it for some special, even if the chance are close to 0.

6)Touma vs Crowley(To aru Majutsu no index)

A fight that came after 40 volumes of build up, and where a scheme that make Sosuke Aizen look like a newbie comes completely to light. It's amazing how after realizing how convoluuted the world around him is, Touma manage to mantain his straightforward level-headness.

7)Kurama vs Karasu (Yu Yu Hakushu)

The best tactic based fight i ever seen, there is not much of a point into explaining why it was good, because it would spoil it.

8)IM introduction(One Piece)

I knew it, i fucking knew it for years that it was going to happen, and when it happened it was glorious. The sheer amount of theories produced by just a name and a sillhouette, the amount of discussion regarding power level and future arcs. This was Oda's peak in his mastery of placing Checkov guns and red herrings into every chapter, creating something that was at the same time shocking yet expected, that answered many questions while at the same time introducing new mysteries.

9)Noelle using the Roar of the Sea Dragon(Black Clover)

I never saw a female protaginist doing something like that in a Shonen. After years seeing girls that, by the nature of their powers, should kick ass but never does for no valid reason(hello shippuden Sakura), it was refreshing to see something like that finally happening. 

10)Denji & Beam vs Bomb Devil & Typhoon Devil(Chainsawman)

Basically, crazy awesome in manga form. All of it happened just a couple months ago so i don't want to go in detail, but there is a clear Sharknado reference that in it's absurdity was just so much fun to watch. I would say that whit a good studio it can beat KnY ep 19, but in fact Tanjiro vs Rui was nothing special in the manga, so it was 95% Ufotable. 

Edited by Flere210

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 6:28 PM, Flere210 said:

I can do this the whole day, i think i will make multiple posts about this. For now i will limit myself to one per Anime.

1) Phoenix Ikki vs Virgo Shaka (Saint Seya)

Just to put into perspective: Shaka is so overpowered that the Big Bad of the arc he was in and two other golden saint had to fight him togheter to even stand a chance, and Ikki actually manage to scare him trought sheer determination.

All the Gold Saints fights were hype as hell, that one is definitely rad though

To add one of my own: Kaiba vs Yugi (Battle City duel) in Yu-Gi-Oh! is a definite banger "shonen" moment/fight. Even though you know Yugi will eke out a victory, the entire match seems as if they're on equal footing. Then they both summon their God cards and they hit each other so hard Yugi and Kaiba get transported into a vision of their Ancient Egyptian duel... shit is so cash.