Rate the routes on difficulty

Alistair

Note that Raging Storm has 70 base hit (there is basically zero reason to use Aymr outside of the combat art, because wasting even a single attack means you have one less use of Raging Storm before you need to repair). If we assume weapon prowess level 3 immediately post-timeskip, then you have 83 hit before stats are factored in.

This is roughly the same as other powerful weapons that you would be using around this point. For example, look at brave weapons. With weapon prowess factored in... Thunderbrand has 77 hit. Unforged Brave Lance/Bow have 80 hit. Unforged Brave Sword has 82 hit. (I'm assume you would rather get decent use out of your brave weapons before forging them, because their repair material is so rare. Also, no combat arts because using a combat art with a brave weapon is big dumb.)

Counting other weapons, with weapon prowess... Silver Bow has 85 hit. Failnaught and Areadbhar have 85 hit. Lance of Ruin is at 75 hit. A lot of other good Swords/Bows/Lances sit at roughly 90 hit. Note that you can boost these numbers with combat arts (for example Swift Strikes Lance of Ruin is 85 hit), but that could come at the cost of being able to double (and therefore ORKO) from most combat arts, as most combat arts don't boost might enough to compensate for not doubling. Also keep in mind that the Bows will suffer -30 hit per tile beyond the second on Maddening.

The point is that accuracy on Raging Storm is not significantly lower than accuracy on other important weapons. More powerful weapons are generally less accurate, so if you don't need that Brave Bow to kill then you should use that Iron Bow instead because it's more reliable (70 vs 95 hit). But if you need that extra damage, feel free to pull out that Brave Lance, or Swift Strikes Lance of Ruin, or Raging Storm Aymr. You lose a bit of hit, but it's not so much that you're likely to miss. You are still probably very likely to hit (especially on 2RN, and even more so once Divine Pulse is factored in).

Edited by Silly

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Nice joke there, mate. Aymr has lol60 accuracy. That. Is. Fucking. TERRIBLE. How hard you hit doesn't mean jack nor shit if you miss. I cannot believe I have to tell you this. :facepalm:

I suppose, but it's not about Edelgard so much as it is that miss means I now need someone else to clean up that mess. 

You're right. That's one of three, and the only one you get pre-timeskip (well, if you did pick the Black Eagle House; Edelgard herself would have another one in the second mock battle). The issue is with opportunity cost; someone else might need it more.

Hitting bosses is one thing, but most of the time there's a lot of crap between you and them. The journey is more important than the destination, or so they say.

You already know the answer to that: H-E-L-L N-O! I'll play my way, thank you very much. And I much prefer consistent strategies to powerful ones.

First: I don't think you know what Raging Storm actually does. If you did I don't think you would be too concerned with what is between Edelgard and the boss of each map.

If you aren't willing to try the strategy, how can you possibly judge it objectively?

Edited by De Geso

Did a 2nd playthrough on Azure Moon and optimizing my mistakes from Silver Snow and maybe get a better grasp of what works and what doesn't. So far the run hasn't ran into any real problems especially on part 2. Even chapter 13 wasn't much of an issue as I prepped my Dimitri to handle the massive hoard of sword users. Though if I were to do that map again. I would make sure Dimitri actually had +1 movement equipped. He got the skill the previous level but I forgot to empty a skill slot for it.

Improvements I made, was getting more classes mastered and seemingly use less turns to accomplish it. I don't know if the Blue Lions team is that much stronger or I just got better. It's possible to give most of your physical units death blow but you don't need to reclass everyone into brigand at level 10. You can probably go into your intended path and train axes and your main weapon through goals until D+. This is even more doable if you make your own Byleth try to become a brigand at level 10. The trick to master a 2nd intermediate class is to save battle quests until you get a knowledge gem and have the needed units solo that said maps. It should take 25 battles to master it and those maps tend to have around 15 enemies with some of them being ranged and very weak. Make sure to use an adjutant for other people who might need it.

On 11/19/2019 at 1:22 PM, ZeManaphy said:

Really? People thought the Immaculate One was hard? She was the easiest part of the map. The Golems were the worst, especially with Rhea’s Buffs, I had to reset several times thanks to crits.

Which one? CF is easy, SS changes on whether you can kill her before a white beast enters range.

9 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

Which one? CF is easy, SS changes on whether you can kill her before a white beast enters range.

Crimson Flower I'm guessing, based on the Golems getting buffs. She doesn't use Golems in Church route as far as I can remember. And the beasts she does use don't get buffs, though they do buff her.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Crimson Flower I'm guessing, based on the Golems getting buffs. She doesn't use Golems in Church route as far as I can remember. And the beasts she does use don't get buffs, though they do buff her.

You do fight golems in the SS finale, don't remember if they got buffs, makes the Seiros shield a nice thing to have though.

3 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

You do fight golems in the SS finale, don't remember if they got buffs, makes the Seiros shield a nice thing to have though.

Ah. Perhaps I am mistaken. Church was my first route so I played it quite a while ago (and my incentive to ever play it again is basically nil despite enjoying that final boss fight). I recall her only having beasts, no golems. If she does have golems, how does that even work? She only has beasts because the knights around the monastery had crest stones implemented and went mad with her. Who organised the golems to show up and control them? 

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Ah. Perhaps I am mistaken. Church was my first route so I played it quite a while ago (and my incentive to ever play it again is basically nil despite enjoying that final boss fight). I recall her only having beasts, no golems. If she does have golems, how does that even work? She only has beasts because the knights around the monastery had crest stones implemented and went mad with her. Who organised the golems to show up and control them? 

Presumably she activated the Gareg Mach defenses because they appear around the fortress stairs.

19 hours ago, CyberNinja said:

Or you can just kill them all.

Oh wait, they have miracle. So this is going to take longer than usual. And what are these? Falcon Knights?

5 hours ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Or you can just kill them all.

Oh wait, they have miracle. So this is going to take longer than usual. And what are these? Falcon Knights?

No, of course not, They're Falcon Knights with Miracle. Have fun.

27 minutes ago, CyberNinja said:

No, of course not, They're Falcon Knights with Miracle. Have fun.

No wonder SS Endgame is called Miracle: The Chapter.

I swear, the Falcon Knights felt like they probably had no bow weakness at all.

3 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Actually had an enemy proc miracle three times, admittedly this was only on hard and I was skipping over enemy phase so I didn't notice the physic user, but I'm not inclined to play that map again.

1 hour ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Just imagine if it was FE4 Miracle, an Avoid boost of 10 to 100 for one turn if their current HP was at 10 to 1. For Falcoes, a Silver Bow means you'd likely OHKO them, so it'd make them easier, but for everything else it could be a hassle that'd leave you wanting to make absolutely sure your attacks leave no breadcrumbs behind.

FE5 Miracle would mean the fatal hit is dodged, not survived with 1 HP. The result would be the ability to proc Miracle multiple times in a row without needing a heal between each time. And that'd be Lckx3 = fatal hit dodged, ~60 unstoppable dodging on all enemies much? I recall in Chapter 21 Thracia a squad of Wyverns which I mysteriously missed multiple 90s on the leader of, turns out he, and possibly all his goons, had Miracle. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Just imagine if it was FE4 Miracle, an Avoid boost of 10 to 100 for one turn if their current HP was at 10 to 1. For Falcoes, a Silver Bow means you'd likely OHKO them, so it'd make them easier, but for everything else it could be a hassle that'd leave you wanting to make absolutely sure your attacks leave no breadcrumbs behind.

FE5 Miracle would mean the fatal hit is dodged, not survived with 1 HP. The result would be the ability to proc Miracle multiple times in a row without needing a heal between each time. And that'd be Lckx3 = fatal hit dodged, ~60 unstoppable dodging on all enemies much?

Wouldn't be too bad if the magic formula ignored it. I also think Fire Emblem should implement something like swift from Pokémon. Some kind of weapon or art that bypasses accuracy checks entirely and always hits. Because missing in maniac is such a pain and happens a lot.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Wouldn't be too bad if the magic formula ignored it. I also think Fire Emblem should implement something like swift from Pokémon. Some kind of weapon or art that bypasses accuracy checks entirely and always hits. Because missing in maniac is such a pain and happens a lot.

Well they could add Nihil. Problem is that is a slippery slope, what would it negate? Procs was it was made to stop, but there aren't too many of those in 3H. For it to be useful in general, it'd have to negate more, but certainly not everything- Counterattack can't be negated for one.

As for spells, I know it's already the strongest Black Magic around, but why not throw a never-miss effect on Agnea's Arrow? It has only 4 uses at most per map, and is the heaviest thing not a siege or Hades. Being a potent single hit isn't enough to have going for it IMO.

For a Combat Art, I'd buff Focused Strike the Axe CA to never-miss. All it does right now is give +30 Hit.

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

You're assuming the SS endgame fight makes any sense. Not a safe assumption, given it already magically only happens on one route despite the same trigger being there on another.

I finished Azure moon and the route is pretty easy until the last few levels. A lot of siege tomes and siege weapons get used by units with massive attack stats. It can one shot some of your more fragile units. 

Good news is retribution exists and Dimitri can do a battalion vantage/wrath build and one round every single enemy with a killer lance+ with almost 0 risk of dying. it's really dumb it feels like the only feasible way to make endgame not a complete chore. The final boss is pretty hard but if you have the rafiel gem and a really strong brave bow user you can demolish her real fast without any risk of dying. 

On 11/12/2019 at 2:24 PM, De Geso said:

Lorenz isn't bad at all. He makes for a good mage. He's not Lysithea or Hubert good but he certainly gets the job done. His personal is also solid once you start using battalions, which is what, chapter 2?

On 11/12/2019 at 4:48 PM, Vitezen said:

Lorenz is pretty good on hard GD. I haven't completed it or tried maddening. His great HP and defensive growths make him a unique frontline mage. Raphael is much worse than Lorenz: Raphael generally does less damage, takes more damage, and is rangelocked unless you train him in bows or give him a hand axe with which he'll likely miss half the time.

The problem is, Lorenz is a Master of None - no matter what I do with him, he'll always be in the shadow of someone else barring MASSIVE RNG luck. Sure, he's more durable than other mages, but that still fails to make up for his shortcomings.

I am before the final map of Crimson Flower. 

I do not really consider this route harder than Golden Deers honestly. 

The main difference is the usefulness of their House leader. 

Claude has a poor slow early game for getting slow experience for chip damage while Edelgard can oneshot stuff and get experience fast. But it will change in their new classes after the timeskip. Barbarossa is the best class in the game. Claude is a phenomenal player phase unit thanks to hit and run and even a better player phase unit than Lysithea imo. On the other hand Edelgard lost all her value by being stuck in a shitty armor class which does even give her a good skill if mastered. She still can turn into a wyvern lord without much effort, but her usefulness compared to other units took a massive nerf. Units like Byleth, Petra or even Ferdinand who can have an enemy phase are way more appreciated.  

@Shadow Mir Sure, Lorenz isn't perfect, but he actually is good at certain things and has a use. You don't need a team of 12 all-stars, especially if recruitment issues may make it impossible. He serves a unique role, and also does his standard job as a mage decently well, which can't be said of all characters.

15 hours ago, Vitezen said:

@Shadow Mir Sure, Lorenz isn't perfect, but he actually is good at certain things and has a use. You don't need a team of 12 all-stars, especially if recruitment issues may make it impossible. He serves a unique role, and also does his standard job as a mage decently well, which can't be said of all characters.

Front line mage doesn't exist on Maddening, because the primary way of tanking is dodge tanking. Most units will not survive 2 rounds of combat post time skip, assuming the enemy hits.

Recruiting from other houses is not as difficult as you make it out to be. As long as you start a playthrough with Byleth's class path and your full roster in mind, building the dream team is basically guaranteed, barring any unrecruitable characters.

18 hours ago, Vitezen said:

Serving a unique role would mean something if it meant he was useful, which it doesn't. Even if I didn't pick the Golden Deer to start (in which case he has to deal with being stuck in Lysithea's shadow), the other mages provided in each of the other houses far outstrip him. Not to mention that a frontline mage ain't happening on Maddening - enemies are far too powerful for that.

Edited by Shadow Mir