If every Smash Ultimate character had a Pokemon type, what types would they be?

ZeManaphy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1VZdmzbRKc

Above you. If every fighter had a Pokemon type, what would you give them?

Here are mine:

Mario/Luigi: Fire/Normal

Link (All 3 Variations ): Grass

Samus: Electric/Steel

Z-Suit Samus: Electric

Bowser: Fire/Dragon

Dr. Mario: Normal

Rosalina/Luma: Ice/Psychic

Yoshi: Dragon

Bowser Jr.: Dragon

Donkey Kong: Ground/Fighting

Diddy Kong: Ground

Zelda: Psychic/Fairy

Sheik: Dark/Ghost

Ganondorf: Dark

Kirby: Normal

Meta Knight: Steel/Flying

King Dedede: Fighting/Flying

Fox: Normal

Falco: Flying

Wolf: Ghost

Captain Falcon: Fire/Fighting

Ness/Lucas: Psychic 

Ice Climbers: Ice

Marth: Fighting/Steel

Roy/Chrom: Fire/Fighting

Lucina: Fighting/Steel

Ike: Fire

Robin: Electric/Fire

Corrin: Water/Dragon

Mr.Game and Watch: Ghost/Bug

Pit: Fairy/Flying

Palutena: Fairy

Dark Pit: Dark Flying

Wario: Normal/Poison

Olimar: Bug

Rob: Steel/Electric

Villager: Bug/Normal

Wii Fit Trainer: Normal

Little Mac: Fighting

Shulk: Psychic

Duck Hunt: Normal/Flying

Snake: Ghost

Sonic: Electric

Mega Man: Electric/Steel

Cloud: Fighting/Psychic

Bayonetta: Dark/Fairy

Mii Brawler: Fighting

Mii Swordfighter: Steel

Mii Gunner: Electric

Peach/Daisy: Fairy

Pirahna Plant: Grass/Poison

King K.Rool: Dragon/Steel

Dark Samus: Dark/Electric

Isabelle: Bug/Normal

Inkling: Poison

Ken/Ryu: Fighting

Simon/Richter: Dark/Fighting

Hero: Steel/Psychic

Banjo and Kazooie: Normal/Flying

Terry: Fighting

These are my thoughts. I just realized that there's a huge disbalance, like so many fighting types and normal types, while too little Bug and Ghost types. What are your thoughts?

Here's what I have so far; I'll be back to write the rest. 

Mario & Luigi: Normal/Fire

Peach/Daisy: Normal

Wario: Normal/Fighting

Dr. Mario: Normal

Rosalina & Luma: Normal/Psychic

Yoshi: Normal/Dragon

Donkey Kong: Fighting/Ground

Diddy Kong: Fighting

All three Links: Steel/Fairy

Shiek: Ghost/Fairy

Ganondorf: Dark/Fairy

Fox: Electric

Falco: Electric

Wolf: Electric/Dark

Samus: Steel/Electric

Ridley: Dragon/Flying

Kirby: Normal

King Dedede: Normal/Fighting

Meta Knight: Steel/Flying

Marth & Lucina: Steel/Fighting

Roy & Chrom: Steel/Fighting

Ike: Steel/Fire

Robin: Steel/Psychic

Captain Falcon: Fighting

Olimar & Alph: Bug/Grass

Pit: Flying/Fairy

Palutena: Psychic/Fairy

Dark Pit: Dark/Flying

Ness: Normal/Psychic

Lucas: Normal/Psychic

Mr. Game & Watch: Normal/Ghost

Duck Hunt: Normal/Flying

Shulk: Psychic/Electric

Cloud: Fighting/Psychic

Inkling: Water/Poison

Belmonts: Steel/Fighting

Bayonetta: Dark/Ghost

Little Mac: Fighting

Ryu: Fighting

Megaman: Steel/Electric

Villager: Normal/Grass

Wii Fit Trainer: Fighting

Piranha Plant: Grass/Poison

DLC:

Hero: Steel/Fairy

Banjo-Kazooie: Fighting/Flying

Did I miss anyone?

Edited by vanguard333

Mario: Fire

Luigi: Electric (I like to think this because he's had electrical abilities once or twice in the past, plus his Poltergust is technically machinery)

Peach: Fairy, I guess?

Daisy: Grass (because she likes flowers)

Rosalina: Psychic

Yoshi: Normal/Dragon

DK and Diddy: Fighting/Grass (they lives in a jungle)

Wario: Normal/Dark

Link: Steel

Zelda: Psychic

Sheik: Dark

Ganondorf: Dark/Psychic

Fox: Electric

Falco: Electric/Flying

Wolf: Electric/Dark I guess

Marth, Chrom, and Lucina: Fighting

Ike: Fire/Flying (birds are Ike's favorite animals according to the PoR artbook)

Roy: Fire

Robin: Multiple types, he/she wouldn't use just one or two

And I can't really say anything for anyone else.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

They're all different flavors of fighting type because why else are they here

For real though Ganon I think is the only ghost type here. An undying evil that resurrects once an era? That's a ghost.

No, that's Dark. Dark is the "evil" type in Japan.

2 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

No, that's Dark. Dark is the "evil" type in Japan.

Well the undying aspect is more characteristic here than the evil part but fine, make him both. Maybe the other two zelda characters qualify as ghosts but Ganon seems to at least recall his past selves unlike Link and Zelda.

Just now, Glennstavos said:

Well the undying aspect is more characteristic here than the evil part but fine, make him both. Maybe the other two zelda characters qualify as ghosts but Ganon seems to at least recall his past selves unlike Link and Zelda.

What makes Zelda and Link Ghosts?

Just now, ZeManaphy said:

What makes Zelda and Link Ghosts?

It's the same person being resurrected whenever Ganon is fated to appear due to possession of the triforce. Two characters who cannot die. Even the OoT Link that supposedly dies and creates a parallel universe lives on in a sacred realm to teach future Link new moves in Twilight Princess. Zelda also lived on as a literal ghost in Spirit Tracks when her body was stolen.

Just now, Glennstavos said:

It's the same person being resurrected whenever Ganon is fated to appear due to possession of the triforce. Two characters who cannot die. Even the OoT Link that supposedly dies and creates a parallel universe lives on in a sacred realm to teach future Link new moves in Twilight Princess. Zelda also lived on as a literal ghost in Spirit Tracks when her body was stolen.

I don't see it. Sure maybe they are reincarnated, but I still don't see ghostly vibes to them.

1 minute ago, ZeManaphy said:

I don't see it. Sure maybe they are reincarnated, but I still don't see ghostly vibes to them.

Well what is a ghost then? If the only signifier is undeath I'd say it's cut and dry. Most ghost fiction has specters manifest as regular humans before the big reveal anyway.

13 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Well what is a ghost then? If the only signifier is undeath I'd say it's cut and dry. Most ghost fiction has specters manifest as regular humans before the big reveal anyway.

Ghosts as in undead specters that can turn invisible and walk through walls and can possess you is what comes to mind. 

24 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Ghosts as in undead specters that can turn invisible and walk through walls and can possess you is what comes to mind. 

check, check, and check for Ganon, Link, and Zelda. But that is oddly specific. Meanwhile holding a sword in your hand, which could be taken away from you, makes you a steel type creature. I think being undead should be enough to be "ghost". You don't have to have freakin' Danny Phantom's power set lol

Edited by Glennstavos

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

check, check, and check for Ganon, Link, and Zelda. But that is oddly specific. Meanwhile holding a sword in your hand, which could be taken away from you, makes you a steel type creature. I think being undead should be enough to be "ghost". You don't have to have freakin' Danny Phantom's power set lol

Ganondorf isn't undead; he's just extremely darn hard to kill in the first place. The only games in which he's undead are Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Breath of the Wild 2; the latter of which hasn't been released yet. 

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

He doesn't recall his past selves; aside from Four Swords Adventures, it's all the same Ganondorf. 

Mario: normal/fire

Luigi: Electric/Ghost with access to fire/normal moves. Ghost is bc Luigi's mansion and Gooigi

Peach: Fairy/Normal

Daisy: Grass/Fairy

Bowser Jr/Koopalings: Dragon/Electric (Electric for clown car)

DK/Diddy: Ground/Grass with Fighting move access

K Rool: Dragon/Steel

Link: Flying/Grass

Y Link: Fairy/Grass

Toon Link: Water/Fairy

Shiek: Ghost/Dark (Sheikah are said to be extinct in OoT which is where Shiek originates)

Ganondorf: Fire/Dark

Pit: Fairy/Flying

Dark Pit: Dark/Flying with Thunderpunch

Palutena: Fairy/Psychic

Marth: Fairy/Steel (he's like peak disney prince but more royalty)

Roy: Fire/Steel

Ike: Honestly, he's at least part fire. I can't decide between Ground, Steel or Fighting for him

Chrom: Steel/Fighting

Lucina: Normal/Steel????? shit, she's one of the harder ones to pinpoint

Robin: Psychic/Dark with Dragon moves

Simon: Fairy/Fighting. Why fairy? Dracula is peak evil. 

Richter: I'll get back to you on this one. Between his appearances I have no clue

37 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Ganondorf isn't undead; he's just extremely darn hard to kill in the first place.

Pretty sure this is the definition of undeath. Whenever the rules of life and death don't apply to you. If it's not, Dracula's not undead. The Dracula of Castlevania canon isn't far off from Ganon actually. Can only be killed by blessed weapons, and even when killed he just sleeps it off and ressurects a hundred years later so that the (presumed) human will have died of old age and can't threaten him again unless they form some special clan. Ganondorf's like that, only it takes more than a generation to come back, and the various Links are not related by blood as far as they've ever said, he'll just appear when Ganon does.

He doesn't recall his past selves; aside from Four Swords Adventures, it's all the same Ganondorf. 

He can potentially remember, he's just rarely in a human form with dialogue to confirm it for the player. When you first meet ganon in WW, his first words are "it's been a while, boy" before introducing himself since Link clearly doesn't know. A similar response comes when he finds Zelda in the same scene. Link has to be told who ganon is and how to destroy him, but there is never a story sequence where Ganon discovers who Link is. You'd have to have instances where Ganon straight up doesn't know about Link in order to prove he doesn't recall his past selves. Past WW, there are only implications. Like how he smiles knowingly at Link and Zelda spying on him in OoT.

Edited by Glennstavos

28 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wait, is this asking what type the characters themselves would be? I thought it was the type they'd use primarily. I sure made a dumb mistake...

I meant what types they’s be actually.

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Pretty sure this is the definition of undeath. Whenever the rules of life and death don't apply to you. If it's not, Dracula's not undead. The Dracula of Castlevania canon isn't far off from Ganon actually. Can only be killed by blessed weapons, and even when killed he just sleeps it off and ressurects a hundred years later so that the (presumed) human will have died of old age and can't threaten him again unless they form some special clan. Ganondorf's like that, only it takes more than a generation to come back, and the various Links are not related by blood as far as they've ever said, he'll just appear when Ganon does.

But he is almost never actually killed; being undead kind-of requires the character to have died at least once or at least be reduced to a state where they can no longer be counted as among the living. Ganondorf doesn't show any signs of that, and, as I'll explain later, in the only times where he's truly killed, the death stuck. Dracula, by contrast, is killed all kinds of times only to come back. 

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

He can potentially remember, he's just rarely in a human form with dialogue to confirm it for the player. When you first meet ganon in WW, his first words are "it's been a while, boy" before introducing himself since Link clearly doesn't know. A similar response comes when he finds Zelda in the same scene. Link has to be told who ganon is and how to destroy him, but there is never a story sequence where Ganon discovers who Link is. You'd have to have instances where Ganon straight up doesn't know about Link in order to prove he doesn't recall his past selves. Past WW, there are only implications. Like how he smiles knowingly at Link and Zelda spying on him in OoT.

The point of my statement wasn't the "he doesn't remember" part; it's the "it's all the same Ganondorf" part. Ganondorf in Wind Waker is the exact same Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time. He was never killed; merely imprisoned by Link, Zelda and the Sages at the end of Ocarina of Time. He broke free, only to be petrified in time when Hyrule was flooded. He overcame that enchantment and escaped to the surface some time before Wind Waker begins. It's the same Ganondorf, still alive. His meaning when he says, "It's been a while, boy" is ambiguous, since he has seen this exact Link before (when he ordered the Helmaroc King to toss Link into the sea). He could be referring to that; or to the fact that it's been a while since he was opposed by a hero in a green hood, armed with the Master Sword. In either case, he remembers OOT Link because this is the same Ganondorf; still alive. 

Similarly, Ganondorf in Twilight Princess is the same Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time. In the Child Timeline (the timeline that continues from OOT's epilogue where Link goes back in time and warns the king), Ganondorf is arrested for attempted treason and sentenced to execution, but the Triforce of Power saves his life, so the sages, in a panic, banished him to the Twilight Realm. But he found his way out in Zant 100 years later. 

Similarly, Ganon in A Link to the Past is the same Ganondorf; this time following the Downfall Timeline. Ganondorf was imprisoned in the Sacred Realm after his claiming the Triforce while inside it turned it into the Dark Realm. So, he has the Triforce, but he can't use its full power until he breaks free. So, he constructs an alter-ego named Aghanim in order to free himself. 

In Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Ganondorf is killed by Link, and that death sticks for both timelines. However, in Four Swords Adventures, which takes place after Twilight Princess, a new Ganon is born. This is the only Ganon that is a different Ganon, and it is heavily implied that he is Ganon-in-name-only (i.e. a different Gerudo Male with the same name with it possibly even being a name he gave himself); he cares not about the Triforce (instead only valuing his trident, which increases his magical ability) and doesn't seem to recognize Link's iconic outfit or any of that. In A Link to the Past, Ganon is not killed, but he is reduced to a "defeated" state from which he can be revived. The latter is usually what happens to him; he is usually either imprisoned or defeated; only thrice (one for each timeline) is he ever truly killed. 

Ganondorf smiles knowingly at Link and Zelda in Ocarina of Time because he's aware that they're spying on him. As smart as Zelda is, Ganondorf is more cunning and devious; he was aware of Zelda's plot to stop him, and let them lead him right to the Triforce. 

Snake is Fighting/Dark

BoTW Link's is Steel/Fighting (fits his role as a knight)
Toon Link is Normal/Water (because of the Great Sea)
Child Link is Grass/Fairy (Kokiri Forest and Navi)

Kirby is Normal, but his type changes depending on who he eats.

Do Assist Trophies count?

Isaac is Ground/Psychic

Gray Fox is Ghost/Steel

Shovel Knight is Steel/Ground

Tingle is Normal (but think's he's Fairy)

50 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

But he is almost never actually killed; being undead kind-of requires the character to have died at least once or at least be reduced to a state where they can no longer be counted as among the living. Ganondorf doesn't show any signs of that, and, as I'll explain later, in the only times where he's truly killed, the death stuck. Dracula, by contrast, is killed all kinds of times only to come back. 

I get the feeling this difference in perspective can only lead to a fruitless discussion of semantics. You might say Ganondorf is only "knocked out" long enough to be imprisoned. But if a sword to the head can't kill him, you'd have to acknowledge he must have a very special relationship with death and dying that falls under the definition of undeath. Several games end with his brain being destroyed or his body getting reduced to ash. According to Zelda 2's manual, Ganon can only be revived by spreading Link's blood over his ashes. Now that game does predate any lore tidbits about sacred realms and master swords, but it's still canon until Nintendo says otherwise. Zelda 2 is as much a game about stopping the resurrection of Ganon as Castlevania 2 is a game about stopping the resurrection of Dracula.

If being "killed" means destruction of the body, then Ganon is killed nearly every time, with his consciousness being imprisoned. Put another way, if scientists took my brain from my corpse and put it in a machine so I may live on, I'd still tell people about how I'm dead and came back. There's no other words to describe it. At the end of Skyward Sword, just after Demise explains the curse, Fi's word choice is that the demon king had been "eradicated" and his consciousness sealed within the master sword. That's probably the closest you can get to "killed" in a nintendo game when referring to something the player has done. And if you accept that Ganon = Demise, then Ganon has been killed since at least that moment. Willfully placing his curse on Link and Zelda because he knows he'll live on to torment them in the future. 

Edited by Glennstavos

Yeah; we probably are arguing semantics at this point. Do you at least agree with my other points about how it's all the same Ganon except in Four Swords Adventures, and that Ocarina of Time Ganon looks knowingly at Link and Zelda simply because he's onto them and their plan?

As for Demise, yeah; Demise is dead. But I'm pretty sure Demise isn't Ganon; Ganon is an "incarnation of [Demise's] hate"; i.e. a curse made manifest in the form of a Gerudo male born many, many years later. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Demise's curse reveal. I liked it at first, but then I realized that Demise's statement that, "An incarnation of my hate shall ever follow your kind; dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!" directly contradicts the fact that Ganondorf is permanently killed-off in at least two timelines. It's one reason that I like how Breath of the Wild basically just ignores the timeline split by being so far in the future that it doesn't matter. 

2 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

I'd say Shulk is Electric/Psychic.

Yeah; that's what I went with. 

26 minutes ago, Scoot said:

BoTW Link's is Steel/Fighting (fits his role as a knight)

Toon Link is Normal/Water (because of the Great Sea)
Child Link is Grass/Fairy (Kokiri Forest and Navi)

I can understand BOTW Link being Steel/Fighting, since he's a less magic, more scavenger/warrior Link. Still, I just think Link, by his nature, should probably be Steel/Fairy. But I suppose Steel/Fighting works in this case. 

Water I can understand because of the Great Sea and the King of Red Lions. But I don't understand the normal typing? Is that a play on the fact that Wind Waker Link isn't a chosen incarnate like the other Links? Otherwise, that doesn't really make much sense to me. I think either fairy type (because hero) or flying (because grappling hook, Deku Leaf, control over winds, etc.) would make more sense than normal. 

Fairy I understand, since Kokiri Forest, hero and Navi. But I'm not sure I understand the grass typing. Aside from Deku Nuts, Sticks and a slingshot, he doesn't exactly have much in the way of plant powers. I guess since he uses the wooden Deku Shield instead of the reinforced Hylian Shield... Yeah; grass is a good idea. 

Yeah, Toon Link is just a regular kid, which is why I picked Normal. I went with Fairy for OoT Link because he's the only one of the three that has a specific connection to fairies, that being Navi. I suppose the pointy-ear elf look of Hylians lends itself well to the Fairy type, but I went with Fighting for BoTW because it's the "heroic" type that's super effective against the "villainous" Dark type.