Grand Hero Battle - Cormag: Aloof Lanceman

Diovani Bressan

A new GHB is here!

GHB-Cormag.jpg

Hard / Lunatic

Spoiler

Screenshot-20191111-081037.png

Hard:

Cormag (HP: 42, Atk: 42, Spd: 23, Def: 27, Res 16): Slaying Lance+, Ignis, Sturdy Blow 2, Dull Close 3, Def Opening 3. (Special starts at CD 1)

Sword Fighter (HP: 38, Atk: 35, Spd: 24, Def: 25, Res 18): Armorsmasher, Draw Back, Bonfire, Fury 2, Def/Res Link 3, Drive Def 1.
Bow Cavalier (HP: 35, Atk: 35, Spd: 16, Def: 17, Res 18): Short Bow, Moonbow, Spd/Def Form 2, Bowbreaker 3, Ward Cavalry.
Blue Cavalier (HP: 29, Atk: 36, Spd: 18, Def: 12, Res 26): Thoron, Swap, Draconic Aura, Atk/Res Push 2, Renewal 2, Ward Cavalry.
Axe Dragon (HP: 36, Atk: 37, Spd: 19, Def: 28, Res 13): Slaying Axe, Blazing Thunder, Heavy Blade 3, Guard 2, Air Orders 2.

Lunatic:

Cormag (HP: 58, Atk: 50, Spd: 32, Def: 34, Res 23): Slaying Lance+, Ignis, Sturdy Blow 2, Dull Close 3, Def Opening 3. (Special starts at CD 1)

Sword Fighter (HP: 52, Atk: 48, Spd: 34, Def: 33, Res 25): Armorsmasher+, Draw Back, Bonfire, Fury 3, Def/Res Link 3, Drive Def 2.
Bow Cavalier (HP: 48, Atk: 47, Spd: 22, Def: 24, Res 23): Short Bow+, Moonbow, Spd/Def Form 3, Bowbreaker 3, Ward Cavalry.
Blue Cavalier (HP: 39, Atk: 48, Spd: 25, Def: 17, Res 34): Thoron+, Swap, Draconic Aura, Atk/Res Push 3, Renewal 3, Ward Cavalry.
Axe Dragon (HP: 49, Atk: 49, Spd: 27, Def: 36, Res 19): Slaying Axe+, Blazing Thunder, Heavy Blade 3, Guard 3, Air Orders 3.

Infernal

Spoiler

Screenshot-20191111-081047.png

Cormag (HP: 67, Atk: 53, Spd: 35, Def: 37, Res 26): Slaying Lance+, Ignis, Sturdy Blow 2, Dull Close 3, Def Opening 3. (Special ready at Turn 1)

Sword Fighter (HP: 61, Atk: 51, Spd: 37, Def: 36, Res 27): Armorsmasher+, Draw Back, Bonfire, Fury 3, Def/Res Link 3, Drive Def 2.
Bow Cavalier (HP: 55, Atk: 50, Spd: 24, Def: 27, Res 25): Short Bow+, Moonbow, Spd/Def Form 3, Bowbreaker 3, Ward Cavalry.
Blue Cavalier (HP: 45, Atk: 51, Spd: 28, Def: 18, Res 37): Thoron+, Swap, Draconic Aura, Atk/Res Push 3, Renewal 3, Ward Cavalry.
Axe Dragon (HP: 57, Atk: 52, Spd: 30, Def: 39, Res 21): Slaying Axe+, Blazing Thunder, Heavy Blade 3, Guard 3, Air Orders 3.
Red Flier (HP: 46, Atk: 45, Spd: 41, Def: 17, Res 35): Bolganone+, Rally Atk/Spd+, Iceberg, Atk/Spd Form 3, Chill Def 3, Drive Res 2.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

Well this was a bit of a letdown. Nothing on the map is much of a challenge.

@Landmaster

Gordin's refine got a testing run, but he did't get much chance to show it off. Boey and the cheer squad did the rest of the map with ease.

Also a little bro theme vs Cormag. They did't run into much problems either.

Super fast clear for me too.  Since the map was based on Cormag's Ephraim-route joining chapter, I was hoping for reinforcements to make it a bit more interesting.  Oh well...

Loptous would have been the better weapon choice here, but an easy GHB gives us the chance to show off Julius's new AR toy.

This was a pretty straightforward battle. Truth, Despair, and Hope definitely did not play on the SS version of this map, but I won’t say no to hearing it for about a minute.

v1 felt like I was...no, it wasn’t even like taking a page out of @mampfoid’s book. It was more like I was taking the entire book, replacing one page with summoner supported Caeda, and then throwing the whole thing at Cormag’s face. Thus, v2:

@Landmaster

Edited by LordFrigid

Easy enough. Took out cormag immediately with brave micaiah and then did some assist strats to get her back to safety. Petra chipped and debuffed the remaining enemies next turn while ares went in to wreak havoc.

This was a joke, it's like I was facing base Cormag. Valter's GHB was actually frightening.

Hard cleared with low HM units, Lunatic cleared with F!Robin, Rutger (Lyn would have done fine here I think), Azura and Legion, Infernal cleared with Lugh, HK!Marth, Danckut and B!Ike, all first try.

The only challenge was figuring out why Leon exploded on turn 1.  Equipped Bowbreaker and the issue solved itself.  So yeah, Leon and three dancers did it again.

6 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

@eclipse, were all your dancers flying? I'm looking to replicate the setup (with a Special Spiral-toting Klein, though).

Nope!  Used Legendary Azura, Flying Olivia, and Performing Arts Azura (though Young Azura can fill in).

I could not figure out how to use Celica with 3 Dancers/Singers, so I replaced one of the Dancers/Singers with Cecilia and the rest of the map became pretty easy after the two enemy ponies committed suicide.

If they’re going to make these GHBs such a snooze, they could at least give reinforcements.

Not much to say, didn’t even need to change Skills. I used Kumade just for fun~

Was gonna do a theme clear for a bonus but it would be a bit too easy for the team I had in mind, so I'll save it for a tougher map~

@Sasori

Boey got to have a lot of fun here~ Gordin will have a better chance to showcase his refine in the future on a more deserving map~ Still nice seeing all these tanky ranged units together~

Aye, nice theme team! I actually didn’t know Ross was Oscar’s brother until someone pointed it out to me. People be sleeping on my man Leo, he did good work here~ So many fliers go down easily to the archers at the bottom of the map~

@DLNarshen

Oooh Rauorserpent in action~ Which is what I would say if Julia didn’t eat the whole map first~ Still, Julius got a bit of fun in there~ Will love to see him taking on a worthy map~

@LordFrigid

Cormag did some pretty big damage to Minerva, that was pretty impressive~ Still too easy for the Galeforce team~ I love how Peri just barely got into WOM range, it’s that easy of a map~

@Diovani Bressan

Nice F2P strategy~ Guess you are ready to replace PM1, hmmm?

I just cheesed it with a guide since today has not been a good day and getting Cormag was the only nice thing in it.  Now to figure out how to build my favorite dracoknight so that he shines.

Getting Felicia to survive the first enemy phase took more work than I expected but it was straightforward after that.

Spoiler

Also, I can't take the name Cougar(Cormag's name in Japanese) seriously 🤣

Edited by Flying Shogi

@DLNarshen Blinked and it was over. CC is a precious commodity and I don't regret giving my only spare to M!Morgan way back, but Julius is and remains a fantastic choice and I doubt I would have regretted giving it to him either.

@Diovani Bressan Quick, fun little clear. Come to think of it I've never seen Eir used in a clear before. Seems so obvious. They took down the map with ease and Sharena continues to be the only relevant Askr hero post refine.

@Landmaster Very little I can say about these clears for this map since they're utter roflstomps. The 70 damage against Cormag was oddly satisfying though.

@LordFrigid A clean sweep. Hector just watching with sunglasses on like a boss made the clear infinitely cooler though for some reason...

@SatsumaFSoysoy @mcsilas @Alexmender @Dayni @BoaFerox @daisy jane @Humanoid @Ginko

I know I haven't watched/commented on some clears I've been tagged in so I'll be trying to get to those over the week (like Conrad). Anyways.

I had no plans of doing any more clears, not for this one either but everything fell into place so nicely I came up with one on the spot and had to do it. What happens when all of your favorites drop into the game at once and you just so happen to pull them all in one session? A clear to showcase them all is all but mandatory. I wasn't planning on doing anymore clears but this had to happen.

This one is a quick clear with all of my favorites. My favorite characters in FE8 are Ross, Lute, Ephraim, Amelia and Ewan. In this clear the trainees finally reunite after all this time, grab Lute and do a clean sweep of this map. Something I thought I'd probably never get to do in this game. There's no room for Ephraim but he's not needed.

As for the technical stuff, there isn't much. Valter would laugh at how easy this map is. Ewan needed Spur ATK to give Amelia some kick and his C slot was empty anyway. Ross needed Close Def. He always said he wanted to be able to split a sword with his axe. I wonder how that panned out?

It's sad that something like this probably won't ever happen but for another time or two. Amelia and Ross are interchangeable and and are unlikely to ever be on the same team except on special occasions. Ewan and Lute are somewhat similar as well. But reuniting was still fun and Ross is only a baby at this point. His power hasn't even begun to grow.

Cheers~

@Dayni I'm still conflicted about that currently but strong possibility of sticking with +SPD. It just offers so much more versatility on both phases. +ATK could arguably be better for the Wo Gun+, Wrath, Times Pulse build I have in my head but being able to double and avoid doubles is too important.

Edited by Zeo

I completed hard and lunatic easily. Haven't done infernal yet. Cormag's voice surprises me though. I expected him to sound deeper and edgier (though not as edgy as, say, Gerome). I'm not sure this voice fits him.

2 hours ago, Zeo said:

I know I haven't watched/commented on some clears I've been tagged in so I'll be trying to get to those over the week (like Conrad). Anyways.

I had no plans of doing any more clears, not for this one either but everything fell into place so nicely I came up with one on the spot and had to do it. What happens when all of your favorites drop into the game at once and you just so happen to pull them all in one session? A clear to showcase them all is all but mandatory. I wasn't planning on doing anymore clears but this had to happen.

This one is a quick clear with all of my favorites. My favorite characters in FE8 are Ross, Lute, Ephraim, Amelia and Ewan. In this clear the trainees finally reunite after all this time, grab Lute and do a clean sweep of this map. Something I thought I'd probably never get to do in this game. There's no room for Ephraim but he's not needed.

As for the technical stuff, there isn't much. Valter would laugh at how easy this map is. Ewan needed Spur ATK to give Amelia some kick and his C slot was empty anyway. Ross needed Close Def. He always said he wanted to be able to split a sword with his axe. I wonder how that panned out?

It's sad that something like this probably won't ever happen but for another time or two. Amelia and Ross are interchangeable and and are unlikely to ever be on the same team except on special occasions. Ewan and Lute are somewhat similar as well. But reuniting was still fun and Ross is only a baby at this point. His power hasn't even begun to grow.

Cheers~

Good gawd, why does Ross have so much HP? That dude is chonky. Amelia starts the map off well taking care of some of those ranged threats. Ewan and Lute each get a nice kill in~ But Ross ended up being the star of the show. I see you have already been feeding him well~ Great clear!

Edited by Landmaster

Team Grima had a spot of bother at first, but we cleared it easily enough thereafter.  All three maps in one because I was too lazy to split them and I did infernal first like an idiot:

Turns out that all I needed was Morgan and Veronica to swap placements and have Grima just in range of the blue cav because that totally works fine.  I swear this was more of a mess than last time...