Ferdinand or Sylvain?

LinkMaster

Talk about interchangeable. These 2 have such minuscule differences it makes you wonder if the question is rhetorical...

I'd give the slight edge to Ferdinand for the better Combat Arts and Seal Speed via budding talent. However in terms of stats, Sylvain probably ends up better stats-wise for the lategame if you recruit him later due to the way auto-levels work.

If you were to recruit Sylvain immediately at the game's start, Ferdinand's the SLIGHTLY better choice.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

Hard to say. If we consider Combat Arts, both of them get Swift Strikes at A-Lances. Ferdie gets Shatter Slash at C+, while Sylvain gets Monster Piercer at the same rank. As Axes go, Ferdinand gets Focused Strike (C+) and Armored Blow (A), while Sylvain gets Spike (C+) and Lightning Axe (A). Sylvain has exclusive access to Ruined Sky, but Ferdinand can also use the Lance of Ruin unpenalized. Ferdinand has the crest boost with the Spear of Assal, but again, Sylvain is free to use it (granted, neither can use it before A-lances).

They're close, but I'm giving the edge to Ferdinand, because his budding talent in Armor gives him easier access to the best combat art: Smite. I jest, but repositionals are so good on fliers, it's stupid.

If maddening, Ferdie > due to personal working very well with WL Dodge tanking. Do not recruit him late though, train him to get death blow. Those two will wreck the game flying around.

Edited by Johnzin

Based on anecdotal "evidence" I'd say Sylvain, just because (I have had more successful uses with Sylvain than Ferdinand, used both of them 3 times in different classes though). But early game advantage goes to Sylvain because of his personal (better in Maddening, barely noticeable in Hard, in Maddening any damage buff you can get is good early on) and access to Ruined Sky pretty early on if you recruit him early with female Byleth. Late game advantage goes to Ferdinand because dodge tanking is a lot more reliable late game with Alert Stance+ and his personal. 

Since you're in Black Eagles, I'd probably just stick with Ferdinand but, if it were up to me I'd probably use both. Ferdinand and Sylvain are pretty similar units honestly, could always use one for this route and use the other in a different route.

7 hours ago, Cute Chao said:

I just used both of them... but then I did make Ferdinand my dancer, too, because he looks like he's made for the part. He really suits the dancer outfit xD 

I still have to do this one day.

In answer to the question - it's both. I've used both guys as Wyvern Lords multiple times and they are both amazing at it. 

I'll say Silvain because he has more versability. He has an easier time going for the mage/dark mage route all the way to dark knight for example.

My vote goes to Ferdinand over Sylvain in the case of Wyvern Lord . 

My reasons would be due to the Lance Of Ruin for Sylvain . You are going to want to train Sylvain more in Lances than Axes but Wyvern Lord Requires a A in axes to begin with . Sure it needs a C in lances and that’s good in Sylvains Case however Ferdinand can just focus on mainly Axes and Flying . Wyvern Lord also gets Axeflare which is a nice boost and allows Ferdinand to go above and beyond with axes . He can also get access to the ochain shield that regen hp every turn and nullify crits 

i am not saying that Sylvain would not make a good Wyvern Lord heck I feel Sylvain is a better Unit than Ferdinand from experience but from all of the above and the fact Sylvain after A ranking axes would also need Getting spears up higher rank too I think Ferdinand has the advantage there and the ochain shield I imagine would be really good for hit and run