Compiled Notes on a Collaborative Playthrough with a Friend

So, I have a Christian friend with whom I recently started a playthrough with. We have had some pretty nice conversations and stuff, and I thought we could play some Three Houses as friends and as commentators. He is playing sort of blind (He has only seen F!Blyeth’s B support with Cyril and the beginning of chapter 8 and it’s story details), and I am the farthest from blind about this game, sort of. I am playing on Hard Classic. I am taking care of gameplay, and he is taking care of the avatar’s decisions.

Notable happenings on session 1 of gameplay (Less than an hour) in spoiler below, for space:

Spoiler

-He mistook Nemesis for Jeralt.

-He has taken interest in how Saint Seiros was holding Nemesis’s Sword of the Creator, since Nemesis was her enemy.

-He named our male Byleth Zanak (just a name he made up)

-He thinks Sothis is weird.

-He likes Claude (I informed him of my affectionate nickname of “Claude the Clod”).

-He thinks Rhea is a fraud.

-I showed him Lorenz’s full haircut. He thinks it’s stark.

-He said Dimitri is depressed. He is right, probably.

-He is aware of the paradoxes of the fact that the lazy Hilda and the small Annette are both proficient in axes.

-He has noted that there are themes with the characters in each house (for example, the big protector in Raphael and Dedue (and Caspar, to an extent)).

-He knows Hubert is sketch because of his eyes.

-I told him how Linhardt was speculated to be ADHD by some FE fans.

-He picked the Black Eagles. Because he saw them as the weakest link. He is going to take that link and whip them into good shape. This is exciting.

Overall, he has liked his experiences so far, as he said that this is a pretty complex game.

Edited by Azure, Roundabouted Out

11 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:
  Hide contents

-He has taken interest in how Saint Seiros was holding Nemesis’s Sword of the Creator, since Nemesis was her enemy.

-He thinks Sothis is weird.

-He thinks Rhea is a fraud.

-He said Dimitri is depressed. He is right, probably.

-He is aware of the paradoxes of the fact that the lazy Hilda and the small Annette are both proficient in axes.

-He has noted that there are themes with the characters in each house (for example, the big protector in Raphael and Dedue (and Caspar, to an extent)).

-He knows Hubert is sketch because of his eyes.

-He picked the Black Eagles. Because he saw them as the weakest link. He is going to take that link and whip them into good shape. This is exciting.

Spoiler

• He's definitely onto something, lmao
  • Wait until he finds out who the Goddess is
  • I mean... he's... technically right?
  • A man who sees ghosts and is incapable of tasting anything is definitely depressed
  • I present to you the OG smol girl with heavy axe, Presea:
Spoiler

JsIrCQB.png

In the actual game, she uses a giant two-handed axe that's, like, twice her size, it's great.

Always my main in battles, and she walks around like a frickin' wind-up toy.

No wonder I took so well to Annette.

• Probably because each class needs to have at least one person to fulfill each class niche in the game
  • I think it's his lack of eyebrow hair more than anything
  • I mean, Ferdinand von Aegir can only do so much carrying on his own, he could use the help

14 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:
  Hide contents

• He's definitely onto something, lmao
  • Wait until he finds out who the Goddess is
  • I mean... he's... technically right?
  • A man who sees ghosts and is incapable of tasting anything is definitely depressed
  • I present to you the OG smol girl with heavy axe, Presea:
  Reveal hidden contents

JsIrCQB.png

In the actual game, she uses a giant two-handed axe that's, like, twice her size, it's great.

Always my main in battles, and she walks around like a frickin' wind-up toy.

No wonder I took so well to Annette.

• Probably because each class needs to have at least one person to fulfill each class niche in the game
  • I think it's his lack of eyebrow hair more than anything
  • I mean, Ferdinand von Aegir can only do so much carrying on his own, he could use the help

You right about all of these. Although there are multiple things that make Hubert sketch.

I don't see why you have to limit him? Isn't it HIS choice? That kinda takes the fun out of some stuff, don't you think? (Unless he self imposes it)

Edited by Bhoop

37 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

I wonder who he is going to recruit from other houses? I see him recruiting Marianne, definitely. And Ashe after a certain point.

I am going to limit him to 2 from each house. Will that be fine?

I think it would be better for him to do what he wants.

Just now, De Geso said:

I think it would be better for him to do what he wants.

3 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

I don't see why you have to limit him? Isn't it HIS choice? That kinda takes the fun out of some stuff, don't you think? (Unless he self imposes it)

Yeah, I did think about it. I will let him do what he wants, then. Sorry.

1 minute ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Yeah, I did think about it. I will let him do what he wants, then. Sorry.

No need to apologize. It was a fair point you made - imposing that restriction would be more fun on a second playthrough, I think, since he'd have to be very picky with who he decided to "save."

13 minutes ago, De Geso said:

No need to apologize. It was a fair point you made - imposing that restriction would be more fun on a second playthrough, I think, since he'd have to be very picky with who he decided to "save."

He does not know that “saving” part yet, but you are right.

What I said above is something I would do. And he is not me.

2 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

He does not know that “saving” part yet, but you are right.

What I said above is something I would do. And he is not me.

What I meant to say was, "it would be fun to restrict him to saving two units per house on his second playthrough once he understands the implications."

2 minutes ago, De Geso said:

What I meant to say was, "it would be fun to restrict him to saving two units per house on his second playthrough once he understands the implications."

Yes, you are still right,

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I know it has been a while, but my friend told me he wanted to play some more tomorrow night. The time spent will be twice as long, so he will be able to see more content.

Also, I decided to make a tier list of how likely he would recruit some characters. These are just predictions, so I might be wrong about some things in the future. He may not even want to recruit anyone at all.

Spoiler

Almost Guaranteed: Ashe, Marianne

Likely Recruit: Mercedes, Ignatz, Alois

50/50: Felix, Annette, Sylvain, Raphael, Lysithea, Shamir, Hanneman, Anna

Not too likely: Ingrid, Hilda, Lorenz, Leonie, Manuela

This update is three days late because I did not make time to type. So here are some things that happened in Friday night’s session (which was certainly longer than the previous session). This went from the first day off to the second week of chapter 2.

Spoiler

-Forgot to introduce him to Jeritza in the exploration segment prior to choosing the houses. My friend gave him the sort of sarcastic response that could be applied to Jeritza.

-My friend seems to be prideful in our success in getting Kostas’s axe in the prologue.

-He is starting to think Hubert is a cool character.

-My friend nearly declined Sylvain’s quest in the first day off because he was already a bit tired by Sylvain’s antics.

-My friend is really into the lore of the world, so he really liked seeing what the library had to offer.

-My friend was a bit taken aback by some of the enthusiasm shown in the mock battle by the students. And also Edelgard’s straight-up savagery towards the likes of Claude.

-In terms of student recruitment, he has found interest in Ashe, Ingrid, and Ignatz. He just sees them as cool people.

-The classes for the characters (I told him about Master classes a good bit before we got to Professor Level C) are being decided next session.

That will be it. Our next session might be after winter break.