Disney+ dropping

Corrobin

With Disney+ officially out... I am freaking out!

As a Gen Z, all these sitcoms and original movies from the late 90s and early 2000s that I remember watching (as well as the stuff that started when I was a kid like Good Luck Charlie and Lab Rats) is hitting all my Nostalgia Nerves. Plus, I get to enjoy classics all the Millenials and Gen Xers rag on about like the 90s X-Men show and Gargoyles and Sister Act!

Personally, I can't wait to rewatch Let It Shine and Girl Vs. Monster again for the fist time in a while.

Anything you'd like to share regarding Disney+, shows you're excited to watch (new or old) on it, or just general disney TV show/movie memories?

Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I was heartbroken when it got took off of netflix but then Disney said they'd be putting it on + AND giving it its seventh season. It's going to be so good, especially since it looks like it's going to finally end the character arcs of the clones and cover Order 66. In general, though, I'm just super excited to see a show from my childhood come back. It's really rare.

Out of all the shows on Disney+,  I"m most interested in the Star Wars content. The Mandalorian first episode had a solid start for the series; wish to see the final season of the clone wars for some resolution. Other than that I'm not that interested. I watched majority of Disney shows/movies several times to know the plots by memory. The MCU shows may be interesting but I need more information.

I can finally see Atlantis and Treasure Planet! I've heard they're underrated Disney classics.

And I can see Gravity Falls, my friend says Gravity Falls is really good.

I don't have D+ yet though. I've heard it's kind of buggy, so I'm waiting a bit.

Our family got it last Monday just to watch the Mandalorian. So far it's a solid show, and I'm curious on seeing what direction it takes. We also saw some Pixar shorts and the first episode of The Clone Wars.

I'm not much of a TV show or movie person, but now that I have the ability to finally watch all those classic and recent Disney cartoons, movies, and shorts that I've heard great things about but never had the opportunity to see might change that.

• 2 months later...

It really doesn't have much to offer once you've finished the Star Wars movies and watched a few Marvel movies. It didn't even have the MCU movies I needed to finish, sadly. I dropped it after 2 months. 

• 1 month later...

So, it released here and my sister had the bright idea of encouraging the Disney media behemoth.

Not seen too much so far, but I watched the live action Lady and the Tramp and frankly? This should have been released in the cinema instead of all the bad ones I've seen so far. It might be a loyal piece, but it has fun with changing things about itself (Jock as a particular example) and while it misses the original's gorgeous style it works better in live action than the others I've seen as well. The characters do actually feel like they're similar but not 1:1 (see: Lady getting some sass in). Not massively better and a bit overlong, but hey I was expecting it to be weaker than it is. I may have been a bit critical and annoyed some people though, but I'm always kind of keeping that stuff in mind while I'm watching something.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:40 PM, Ae†her said:

It didn't even have the MCU movies I needed to finish, sadly.

What!? That is like what I am expecting Disney+ to have. MCU is like the biggest thing out there, rivalled maybe only by Star Wars.

• 2 months later...

I have been a wary sort about things that go to this platform. So when my niece went on about watching Artemis Fowl, combined with some of the concerns beforehand, I was not expecting much. And I'm not someone who's read the lot (but does want to).

I certainly didn't expect a betrayal of the book where the substance has been so twisted, a complete restructure of the story that sees focus on an item made up for the movie, changing of character motivations, killing off the mother, bad acting, bad framing around the events of the film and a casting mess that actually changes theming from the book and has whitewashing and blackwashing accusations against it! Do not watch if you're a fan, do not watch if you're not, do not watch if you are curious about the poor movie that this is besides.

Percy Jackson fans, I would be afraid for you too.

• 5 months later...
On 6/13/2020 at 6:05 AM, Dayni said:

I have been a wary sort about things that go to this platform. So when my niece went on about watching Artemis Fowl, combined with some of the concerns beforehand, I was not expecting much. And I'm not someone who's read the lot (but does want to).

I certainly didn't expect a betrayal of the book where the substance has been so twisted, a complete restructure of the story that sees focus on an item made up for the movie, changing of character motivations, killing off the mother, bad acting, bad framing around the events of the film and a casting mess that actually changes theming from the book and has whitewashing and blackwashing accusations against it! Do not watch if you're a fan, do not watch if you're not, do not watch if you are curious about the poor movie that this is besides.

As someone who grew up with the books, it's a true shame hearing this. How hard would it be to just adapt the first book? Like, I'm forgiving of certain departures from canon in film adaptations, but not to the point of messing up the characters' personalities, and dynamics.

Anyway, I'm considering getting Disney+, but I already have Netflix through a family plan. Obviously, I could have both, but... it feels a bit indulgent to take on a new streaming service, when I'm not watching 99% of the one I already have. So it's a tough call for me. Were I to get it, though, my first stop would probably be Kim Possible. Loved that show.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Anyway, I'm considering getting Disney+, but I already have Netflix through a family plan. Obviously, I could have both, but... it feels a bit indulgent to take on a new streaming service, when I'm not watching 99% of the one I already have. So it's a tough call for me. Were I to get it, though, my first stop would probably be Kim Possible. Loved that show.

We only got it for a while, we went off it.

There's handling it like that to consider. New movies also costing a pretty hefty amount for a while is something that gives me pause, but is optional to do at least.

• 5 months later...