Espurr plays old DS shovelware (and some others)! Suffering through: Kung Fu Panda 2

Espurrhoodie

Winx club: Fairy party sounds funtastically painful! 

Maybe it's about a Windex that lost its de? Windex-winx?

Edited by Benice

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

Winx club: Fairy party sounds funtastically painful! 

Maybe it's about a Windex that lost its de? Windex-winx?

It's actually based on an Italian cartoon named Winx Club! It's about fairies and it used to air on Nick. I don't remember if the show has fully been dubbed into English, though.

6 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

It's actually based on an Italian cartoon named Winx Club! It's about fairies and it used to air on Nick. I don't remember if the show has fully been dubbed into English, though.

Golly! You learn something every day.

Well, if it's an adaption, chances are that it's...not great... (Looking at the Legend of Zelda anime)

Spoiler

This is from only 13 episodes, too.

Edited by Benice

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Golly! You learn something every day.

Well, if it's an adaption, chances are that it's...not great...

Yeah, most licensed games aren't that great. Although the Project Diva series is pretty good! And I've heard that some JoJo games are pretty good.

10 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Yeah, most licensed games aren't that great. Although the Project Diva series is pretty good! And I've heard that some JoJo games are pretty good.

No discussion of good licensed games is complete without SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom, the greatest non-Mario 3D platformer of all time. When the remake comes out, you can play it to take a break from all the shovelware.

Edited by Lightchao42

I voted for Hannah Montana, because it sounds fun.

No discussion of good licensed games is complete without SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom, the greatest non-Mario 3D platformer of all time

I thought that was Banjo-Kazooie?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

36 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

No discussion of good licensed games is complete without SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom, the greatest non-Mario 3D platformer of all time. When the remake comes out, you can play it to take a break from all the shovelware.

Frick I forgot about that! Mostly because I've never played it, but still! How could I forget that!

1 hour ago, Espurrhoodie said:

So, uh. Guys?

I switched over to another tab so take a picture, but when I switched back to this tab, Serenes didn't load anything except for what I wrote above. So we're missing an entire level and a half of what I wrote. Don't worry guys, It wasn;t anything interesting. I'm still pissed though.

Loosing an update to random technical difficulties is like a right of passage for those doing forum LPs.

Rumpel explains that he captured Fiona to lure Shrek here and makes her agree to sign a contract to surrender herself and he'll stop capturing the other ogres. Or something. Was this in the movie? I can't remember, but you're supposed to write in Fiona's name, and I, being the mature person that I am, somehow managed to squeeze in "fuck me' instead of Fiona. I wish I could show you my handiwork, but my dog is on me and he's preventing me from taking pictures. Thanks, Pepe.

I thought it was Shrek that did something similar in the movie...I think... shrug, its been long enough that I don't really remember\

Finally.... I'm finished with the last level.

With a weirdass stylus minigame to drag Fiona and Shrek close together so they can kiss, we are finished.

Congrats on soldiering your way through this terrible piece of shovelware. Hopefully the next one has something that more closely resembles fun in it.

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Congrats on soldiering your way through this terrible piece of shovelware. Hopefully the next one has something that more closely resembles fun in it.

Thanks! I hope so too lol

3 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I thought it was Shrek that did something similar in the movie...I think... shrug, its been long enough that I don't really remember\

Yeah you're right! It was Shrek who originally signed it and Fiona was exempt from it because she wasn't fully ogre!

32 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I thought that was Banjo-Kazooie?

Maybe, but Banjo-Kazooie doesn't reward you for jumping around in Squidward's house like an idiot and breaking all his stuff so I'd still say Battle for Bikini Bottom is better.

23 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Frick I forgot about that! Mostly because I've never played it, but still! How could I forget that!

I wouldn't expect you to remember it if you haven't played it, so you are forgiven. There are other SpongeBob games that are pretty good, but BfBB is seen as the best because it's both a good platformer and a good SpongeBob game.

21 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

With a weirdass stylus minigame to drag Fiona and Shrek close together so they can kiss, we are finished.

Now that's my kinda game! limfow

I have Shrek Forever After on Wii, and if I ever get the guts to play it, I'll gladly compare and contrast with you although I doubt you would ever want your mind to revisit this veritable hell of a game.

You know what, I'm switching to Kung-fu panda  2 to break the tie!

I feel bad for Espurr since no one has chosen the not-shovelware.

7 minutes ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

Oh, and I've just learned something about Kung Fu Panda 2 that can be found with a quick Google search...

What is it? I tried but didn't find anything other than videos.

6 minutes ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

Something that will be hilarious see a reaction to about 12 seconds into the startup screen that will be revealed should this game be next on the list.

Oh dear. I fear for Espurr's sanity. I fear she might be POwned by this game! Becuase the main character is called Po, geddit?

I'll leave now.

To be honest, it doesn't LOOK that bad at first glance, but as I stated earlier, these things are almost always awful; the How to train your dragon one was pretty good, though.

36 minutes ago, Ika Musume said:

Now that's my kinda game! limfow

I have Shrek Forever After on Wii, and if I ever get the guts to play it, I'll gladly compare and contrast with you although I doubt you would ever want your mind to revisit this veritable hell of a game.

Please, compare! Maybe it's better than this one. Oh who am I kidding an FE game with the writing of Heroes/Fates, the map design of SoV, and the voice acting of RD would be better than this game.

9 minutes ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

Something that will be hilarious see a reaction to about 12 seconds into the startup screen that will be revealed should this game be next on the list.

Huh, I played the absolute shit out of this one as a kid and I can't really remember something on the title screen. Then again, it's been years. I think it might be one of the better games in this trash heap of shovelware (although iirc Nursery 2 was decent and obviously I'm not counting Mirai or the Lego games as shovelware), but all I can remember is that:

1. It has an original story that takes place after the events of the movie
  2. The combat is turn-based like Dragon Quest and Pokemon
  3. There was a really annoying gorilla boss that was early on in the game.

Anyway, Kung Fu Panda 2 it seemingly is, then! ..... after I finish my food.

3 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Anyway, Kung Fu Panda 2 it seemingly is, then! ..... after I finish my food.

Keeping your lunch down might be kung-futile after the beginning of this shovelware! Looking forward to watching the torture of my fellow human beings!

23 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Rumpel explains that he captured Fiona to lure Shrek here and makes her agree to sign a contract to surrender herself and he'll stop capturing the other ogres.

I think that was supposed to be Shrek.

Because he wanted to capture Shrek before he ruined his new world.

I probably shouldn't remember this movie, but hey it's not the third one.

54 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Oh who am I kidding an FE game with the writing of Heroes/Fates, the map design of SoV, and the voice acting of RD would be better than this game.

I mean, SoV wasn't that bad.....

Besides, Reunion at Dawn might actually infuriate me more now.

Also I missed the poll, sorry. KFP2 does at least have a pretty good movie behind it, so this should be good? Right?

....Y'know I can't remember if I have any batteries for my keyboard incase it runs out of juice. Sigh.... oh well.

Oh yeah! Quick announcement: I'm going to be unavailable on Saturdays because of DnD. Anyway...

Espurr plays Kung Fu Panda 2! (part 1)

Fun fact: Kung Fu Panda is one of my taekwondo teacher's favorite movies because it emphasizes the relationship between the master and the student.

This is going to be the first videogame in, well, probably a few, that were published by the now-defunct THQ. Although iirc, most of the games I have (including "he who is green who shall not be named") were published my Activision.

Oh fuck.....

It's them.

Griptonite Games. The same developer of Shrek Forever After.

Is this what @Emperor_Siegfried wanted my reaction for? The fact it was developed by Griptonite Games? Why, oh wh-

Oh hey! I had the music for this game turned down for whatever reason, but the music on the title screen actually isn't bad! In fact, it's actually kinda good! I mean, it's probably ripped from the movie like how in "My Green Nightmare" it used the main Shrek theme for the title screen and world map, but I actually have no issue with this! And the sound-effects aren't bad either!

What was I talking about again? Bah, probably wasn't relevant.

Apparently this game has multiplayer. Unfortunately, I can't cover multiplayer since unless I convince my irl friend to pick up this game, that doesn't seem likely (and also, y'know, coronavirus).

Anyway, starting the game.

Oh thank god, the traditional Chinese instruments aren't just a title screen thing, it's seemingly most of the OST.

Anyway, the game begins after the events of Kung Fu Panda 2 (btw, if you haven't seen the Kung Fu Panda trilogy, please do, they're great movies) with Shifu reminding Po that victory is temporary and that, after the defeat of Shen, the remnants of Shen's army is terrorizing the rest of the land. The members of the Furious Five (sans Tigress) splits up to spy on various areas of.... the country? I think. It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, guys.

Anyway, some gorillas stole a bunch of weapons and gunpowder from the armory and- oh for the love of:

15871573513881129706742.jpg

Do you see the outlines on his neck? They forgot to erase that when they were cutting his portrait out of.... whatever he was on before.

Also, thanks Shifu for calmly asking where the gorillas are even though I'm pretty sure that he'd be surprised. He sends out Po and Tigress to get the gunpowder back.

I'm a little annoyed that when you exit a sub-menu (like if you wanted to see what attacks are currently available) it boots you to the world map.

Speaking attacks, it seems there's something like a weapon triangle in this game, with blue beating red, red beating yellow, and yellow beating blue. Not... entirely sure what that'll do, but there will most likely be a tutorial explaining them.

Anyway, to move you tap on one of the red circles in that location and then tap it again to actually enter the area.

OH GOOD NAGA HE LOOKS HORRIFYING!:

15871582392461589846058.jpg

Was this pulled from another videogame or something?! It looks so bad!

Oh yeah, apparently the VA for Po in this is also the same VA as Jesse in SoV and Arden, Abel, Jeorge, and Inigo/Laslow in Heroes, making this the first (and probably only) FE voice actor in these shovelware games.

Anyway, onto the combat! It's actually kinda interesting. You select an attack, but all of the attacks cost something called chi. Chi affects when you can attack/take an action and it refills during combat, once it's fully refilled, you can attack again. Anyway, we're fighting against two wolves, and the "weapon triangle" colors have names and the enemies themselves are associated with a certain color/element. Po, who is blue, is tough while Tigress and the two wolves are red, which is fierce. If my memory is right, I think yellow is clever.

After defeating the wolves, Tigress realizes that this was probably a trap... or something. I had to turn the game off as I was typing this since my battery was dying so me and my 5 second memory can't remember exactly what was said.

See ya guys back on Sunday!

Hehehehehehheheh…. Yes.  I could practically hear the opening of One-Winged Angel - REBIRTH (timely, I know) the moment that pause hit..... only to hear a record screech the moment the soundtrack commentary started up.

I haven't seen the Kung Fu Panda movies, but I did play the first game long ago when I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas back in '08.  It was a bundle game with that and Lego Indiana Jones, it actually wasn't too bad of an action game.  Gameplay for this one sounds like an ATB system based RPG sans the RPG bits.  At least from what's been shown so far.  Seriously you need some rechargeable batteries bad.

30 minutes ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

Hehehehehehheheh…. Yes.  I could practically hear the opening of One-Winged Angel - REBIRTH (timely, I know) the moment that pause hit..... only to hear a record screech the moment the soundtrack commentary started up.

Welcome to ADHD-ville. I get distracted all the time.

31 minutes ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

I haven't seen the Kung Fu Panda movies, but I did play the first game long ago when I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas back in '08.  It was a bundle game with that and Lego Indiana Jones, it actually wasn't too bad of an action game.  Gameplay for this one sounds like an ATB system based RPG sans the RPG bits.  At least from what's been shown so far.  Seriously you need some rechargeable batteries bad.

I've heard the Xbox 360 version is pretty good, but I've never tried it.

Actually it was my DS that was dying, my keyboard is fine so far.

I made the right choice voting for this.

I am still Un"Abel" to believe that an FE VA would participate in this, though. That pig is glorious.

3 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Do you see the outlines on his neck? They forgot to erase that when they were cutting his portrait out of.... whatever he was on before.

Mayhaps he's just got a very very thick tatoo?

Imagine being competitive at this game with multiplayer. I think a pair of friends who owned this game had to be.

I think this is the closest thing for competitive Kung Fu Panda.

There might be others though.

Also, I've surprisingly have never played DS shovelware since I was obsessed with Pokemon when I first had a DS. I once bought Cory in The House for the memes but never played it. I mostly played GBA shovelware or games that were based on movies though back when I was a child. Wish my GBA or DS Lite worked to revisit those games.