Espurr plays old DS shovelware (and some others)! Suffering through: Kung Fu Panda 2

Espurrhoodie

16 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

D...do you guys actually want me to get all the crystal balls even though the reward for them is probably on par with the massive korok turd in BOTW? I think (and this is pure speculation on my part since I don't know what they do and if the instruction booklet for this game told me what they did, I'd still have no idea since I don't know where it is other than that it's still in the case and I don't know where my grandma put the cases for these games) they're like the Comet Medals from Mario Galaxy where they unlock harder versions of those levels.

A little googling has led me to stumble upon the full text of the Shrek Forever After for the DS instruction manual online

https://archive.org/stream/NintendoDSManuals/Shrek-ForeverAfterusaenfrndsiEnhancedb_djvu.txt

Which tells you three things about crystal balls, first there is one per level, and second there is something called a crystal ball indicator, and third that they are required to 100% complete the game, whatever that means. My suggestion is don't bother unless the game is giving you the real final boss/level is hidden behind the collectables kinda vibe.

16 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

End of the level. No idea where the memento was. Maybe they aren't in all of the levels?

One thing this random find did reveal is that there are 12 mementos, which I think is less then the number of levels in this game.

14 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Uhh, Shrek? You came to the tower to find Fiona, right?

SHE'S RIGHT FRICKIN' HERE!:

15779016520771355980191.jpg

Now that's what I call a plothole!

It feel like there is a lot more hole than there is plot in this game...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

A little googling has led me to stumble upon the full text of the Shrek Forever After for the DS instruction manual online

https://archive.org/stream/NintendoDSManuals/Shrek-ForeverAfterusaenfrndsiEnhancedb_djvu.txt

Which tells you three things about crystal balls, first there is one per level, and second there is something called a crystal ball indicator, and third that they are required to 100% complete the game, whatever that means. My suggestion is don't bother unless the game is giving you the real final boss/level is hidden behind the collectables kinda vibe.

Well my research sucked, I guess.

I'm starting to think they're a bit like the stray beads in Okami. Required for a 100% run, but if you just want to play the game and have fun, they aren't necessary.

One thing this random find did reveal is that there are 12 mementos, which I think is less then the number of levels in this game.

Yep, there are seemingly 18 levels.

It feel like there is a lot more hole than there is plot in this game...

Spongebob has less holes than this game.

1 hour ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

So Shrek can drown in lava.  I knew ogres had layers but I didn't know they were made of layers that strong.

Well, more like got his ass burned now that I think about it.

20 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Could that be another female ogre not named Fiona?

No it's Fiona. And I'm pretty sure Shrek would be able to recognize his own wife's face/voice.

I'm taking a break today for perhaps the dumbest reason possible:

I think I figured out what the crystal balls are for.

I want to collect them to see precisely if my theory is true.

I'm not saying what I think they're for, but it's interesting.

Thank you TV Tropes.

Yeah, no. Nevermind.

While attempting to look for a guide/walkthrough to find the balls, I found out that for some reason this topic came up?

Anyway, according to TV Tropes, the fates of Charming and the Fairy Godmother are supposedly touched upon in the game. That is what I thought the crystal balls were for.

Espurr goes through immense pain and suffering playing Shrek Forever After! (part 6)

Yay, random stylus controls. You have to pull a chain to open a gate.

Aaand more shitty fire mechanics that I love so much. You have to get a box to a certain button, but there are flamethrowers near said box like this:

1578074841315399548439.jpg

Oh, and they deal a half a heart of damage and can knock you back into the other throwers.

FUCK! I finished that puzzle, but after putting the box on the button, you're supposed to defeat 5 guards. Wave 1 isn't so difficult since it's two guards, but with wave 2, you have to defeat THREE GUARDS! I died.

Ugh.

Please let me play something decent after this. I need to restore my faith in... something.

Finally, I finished that portion.

The rest of the level was a freaking cakewalk compared to that.

Next level!

Okay, these new headphones my parents got me work nice, but they're uncomfortable whem I'm wearing my glasses. I can't take off my glasses because going without them makes my head hurt. How do I fix this conundrum?

Anyway, I finished the level without anything of note happening.

It seems the next area is the ogre camp.

That's all for now!

22 minutes ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

Ah the ogre camp.  I was just thinking this game could use an ogreload.

If this game does in fact have 18 levels, look at it this way, you can now say this game is about a third of the way ogre.

Yes. Thank the gods.

• 1 month later...

Hey guess who has returned from the depths of hell?

Brief announcement: when I finally get a computer, this LP is going to have another hiatus because I plan on doing a semi-blind LP of FE4. I will finish whatever game is currently being LP'd at the time before I do it and after I'm finished with that, I'll add (assuming I can find the roms for those games) Russell Grant's Astrology/Astrology: The Stars and You and America's Next Top Model DS as options on the next poll afterward.

Anyway, let's get back to pain and suffering, shall we?

Espurr goes through immense pain and suffering playing Shrek Forever After! (part 7)

Can't believe I've spent nearly 3 hours playing this thing.

Yeesh, Donkey moves more than I do when he's talking. I've seen MMD videos that were less jittery than him.

Anyway, during the infamous scene where Donkey eats waffles, you have another stylus minigame where you have to have Donkey lick the waffles. Why?

Okay you remember that one ogre at the resistance camp that's voiced by Jon Hamm named Brogan? Well, here's his portrait sprite (in other words, what he looks like in the movie):

1582998338740420371127.jpg

Aaaand here's his actual model:

158299843738419819980.jpg

That looks absolutely nothing like him! Game, why? This butchers the Shrek canon more than Shrek the Third!

Also, I swear his voice sounds familiar. I can't put my finger on who it is though. (Then again, recently I saw an ad for a drug named Myrbetriq and I could have sworn that the guy listing the side-effects was Robbie Daymond since the guy sounded exactly like his voice for Hubert)

Apparently Cookie is a girl in this. Why is Cookie a girl he has a beard with garlic in it he's clearly a dude.

Anyway, Donkey got captured, Cookie is going to cook him, and now we have to prevent Donkey from getting cooked.

Oh yay, bad camera angles.

And pillars that pop out from under the water and go back in them WAAYY TOO QUICKLY FOR MY LIKING! Game, stop pretending your controls are good enough for that.

I found Fiona again. Her rhythm minigame still reminds me of better games I could be playing. Like Project Diva Mega 39s when it finally gets released in English.

I. KEEP. DROWNING!

Every time I think I can make it across, I accidentally drown Shrek. Be it from shitty hit detection or the fact that for the split seconds the pillar I'm on is in deep enough water that I can't drown and I jump to the next pillar, the water drags me down and I can't jump as high.

Fuck it,  I'm going to shuffle my powers. I vaguely remember that there was a power related to jumping.

Going into the menu, it seems there are cheat codes I need to enter in order to unlock certain features. No clue what they are.

Actually, give me a second...

Shit, all I can find are Action Replay codes, and I don't have one. And there wasn't a power related to jumping.

Ugh, time to go back to suffering.

I ALMOST MADE IT!

I ALMOST FUCKING MADE IT!

BUT I SLIPPED AND DROWNED AT THE LAST MINUTE!

FUCK!

I finally made it.

FINALLY!

After all of that frustration, the rest of the level isn't much to write home about.

Okay, turns out Cookie isn't a girl in this. Then why did Brogan call Cookie a "she"? Was that in the original movie and I just forgot?

Anyway, Shrek learns that Fiona is the leader of the resistance camp and now he must find her tent!... Even though we've seen Fiona several times already?

Aight, next level.

Yay, more bad box pushing mechanics. I prefer Okami ball pushing physics, but I digress.

Completely unrelated to the game, I accidentally dropped my stylus in my tea (oh btw I forgot to mention but I got a replacement mug after it broke). Yay....

Aaand I found Fiona again in the level. Game, make sense, please. Tangled had less errors. 

Everytime I drown in this little area I'm forced to watch an unskippable cutscene where the camera pans around the area and I hate it.

Yay! End of the level!

I just... have to display Fiona's bad model:

15830027117772042867165.jpg

Anyway, Shrek is surprised to see Fiona and Fiona doesn't know who Shrek is.

...Even though they've seen eachother several times already.

Anyway, that's it for today! Now if you'll excuse me, I need to fish my stylus out of my tea.

10 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Brief announcement: when I finally get a computer, this LP is going to have another hiatus because I plan on doing a semi-blind LP of FE4. I will finish whatever game is currently being LP'd at the time before I do it and after I'm finished with that, I'll add (assuming I can find the roms for those games) Russell Grant's Astrology/Astrology: The Stars and You and America's Next Top Model DS as options on the next poll afterward.

Have fun, its my favorite of the Fire Emblems because of its story,

Anyway, during the infamous scene where Donkey eats waffles, you have another stylus minigame where you have to have Donkey lick the waffles. Why?

That sounds really disgusting...

1582998338740420371127.jpg

Aaaand here's his actual model:

158299843738419819980.jpg

That looks absolutely nothing like him! Game, why? This butchers the Shrek canon more than Shrek the Third!

It looks like he Hulked his way out of most of his shirt, with the arm bulking up to shred the sleeves, and chest busting out to make it a vest...

Anyway, Donkey got captured, Cookie is going to cook him, and now we have to prevent Donkey from getting cooked.

Why is this part all about Donkey having horrifying food related things happen to him. This must be Donkey's Kitchen Nightmares.

I. KEEP. DROWNING!

Drowning, apparently Shrek's only weakness...

Okay, turns out Cookie isn't a girl in this. Then why did Brogan call Cookie a "she"? Was that in the original movie and I just forgot?

I think the writers/editors for this game just didn't care enough to catch the error.

Anyway, Shrek is surprised to see Fiona and Fiona doesn't know who Shrek is.

...Even though they've seen eachother several times already.

That is incredibly dumb, which is more evidence of how little the writers cared.

An entire minigame dedicated to Donkey licking waffles huh?  Sure hope somebody at the studio had that be the highlight of their day.

Boy Shrek sure got jacked. Looks like all the fat was just unshaped muscle all these years.

Advice for FE4: Save states are your friends.  Abuse them.

No episode tonight, guys! I unfortunately am having stomach issues. I'll reply to the comments, though!

On 3/1/2020 at 12:54 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

Have fun, its my favorite of the Fire Emblems because of its story,

I already know what happens, I just want to play it just so it won't be awkward when I say that I like Genealogy even though I've only read the manga.

That sounds really disgusting...

It wasn't really gross, it just looked like something you'd do in Sony Vegas.

It looks like he Hulked his way out of most of his shirt, with the arm bulking up to shred the sleeves, and chest busting out to make it a vest...

He looks like somebody tried to draw Shrek from memory.

Why is this part all about Donkey having horrifying food related things happen to him. This must be Donkey's Kitchen Nightmares.

Eh, there's less angry British yelling on this.

Drowning, apparently Shrek's only weakness...

And also lava. And bottomless pits.

That is incredibly dumb, which is more evidence of how little the writers cared.

Apparently this was to compensate for the fact that in the Xbox 360 version you could switch between all of them. Of course, I haven't played that, so I'm not sure about how well-implemented that is.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:55 AM, Emperor_Siegfried said:

Advice for FE4: Save states are your friends.  Abuse them.

Oh I know I will! I am legendarily bad at FE!

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Ika Musume said:

This thread is so blessed! I have a ton of DS shovelware games, and it's a really fun pastime.

Oh shit thanks for reminding me that I need to update this! I got lost watching NicoB's Persona 5 lol

11 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Oh shit thanks for reminding me that I need to update this! I got lost watching NicoB's Persona 5 lol

NicoB! I love the Three Houses content. Also I would be very interested if you kept this updated.

You'd think a worldwide pandemic that keeps me trapped in my house would make me update more, but nope! I just get distracted by other things! Like Tokyo Mirage Sessions and NicoB. (Or just plain forgetting). Anyway.....

Espurr goes through immense pain and suffering playing Shrek Forever After! (part please let this end already)

For a second my DS wouldn't read the cartridge. I was kinda concerned on that.

Anyway, into the level!

Aaaand I drowned already. Great.

After defeating a few enemies, I go to an area with everybodies favorite feature of this game, box pushing. But not just any old box pushing, box pushing near water! My greatest nemesis! Miraculously, I only drowned once trying to do this puzzle!

I've found that belly-slamming is one of the better attacks to do since it covers such a wide area.

And I found Fiona again. What happened last time? What is Shrek doing here again? I can't remember, but I don't think Fiona is supposed to be here. Anyway, you know what that means! Me wishing that I was playing Project Mirai! (speaking of rhythm games, I'm surprised TMS didn't have a small rhythm game segment. Can we have an FE rhythm game? Tap Battle in FEH is fine and all, but what about an actual rhythm game?)

This game is still boring. I'm not sure if it's because I'm bad at talking or if it's the game itself, but I can'r find much to talk about.

It snowed where I live. It sucks. Everybody says they like snow until they have to shovel it.

END OF THE LEVEL! YAY!

Oh hey! Puss! Out of the models in this game that I've seen so far, Puss has one of the better ones:

Unfortunately, he keeps moving, so this was one of the better pics I took. His voice sounds drunk though.

Well, that scene was pointless. It was just Shrek talking to Puss about weapons, and not even the interesting kind of weapon talk.

Anyway! Next level!

FUCK! I completed a puzzle, and then I drowned. Lovely.

Aaand it happened again.

Puppy save me plz

Yeah, didn't have much to commentate on.

.... Y'know what? I'm going to finish this game today. Or try to.

Oh yeah, I unlocked a swimsuit costume for Shrek, so if staring at Shrek's half-naked body is your thing, this is the game for you!

This just in, according to this game, Fiona is around six feet tall.

.... Well I was going to complete this, but my dog fell down the stairs, so I need to make sure he's alright, so take care!

Omg I hope your dog is okay

Shrek bathing suit costume sounds like an absolute dream come true (it's perfect that he has one because he keeps falling in the water)

I have so many hours on project Mirai it isn't funny lol

Edited by Ika Musume
I wanted to add something instead of just post again for hardly any reason

20 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

(speaking of rhythm games, I'm surprised TMS didn't have a small rhythm game segment. Can we have an FE rhythm game? Tap Battle in FEH is fine and all, but what about an actual rhythm game?)

That is a really fair point, TMS should have had some rhythm game minigame in it. That being said its still a fun game, I still think of it as the game that most made me feel like I was playing a Magical Girl Anime.

22 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Oh yeah, I unlocked a swimsuit costume for Shrek, so if staring at Shrek's half-naked body is your thing, this is the game for you!

...WHY? Who would want that?

24 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

.... Well I was going to complete this, but my dog fell down the stairs, so I need to make sure he's alright, so take care!

...Oh no, hopefully the clumsy puppers is ok...

Woohoo!  The local Shrek meme factory of Serenes Forest is open again!

2 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Like Tokyo Mirage Sessions and NicoB. (Or just plain forgetting).

Uh huh... A likely story.

Boy with all this box pushing and drowning makes this game sound more and more like a puzzle game.  Wonder how many of the kids back in the day had their attention glued to this?

It snowed where I live. It sucks. Everybody says they like snow until they have to shovel it.

Just in case anyone was about to make a "Hell freezes over." comment.

Puppy save me plz

Sounds like he thought your cry for help was a little more desperate than it actually was.

49 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

For fanservice.  Seriosuly, in what way is Shrek not Top 3 Husbando material at minimum?

2 hours ago, Ika Musume said:

Omg I hope your dog is okay

Shrek bathing suit costume sounds like an absolute dream come true (it's perfect that he has one because he keeps falling in the water)

I have so many hours on project Mirai it isn't funny lol

He's aight! He does this all the time, but I worry about him since he's old

I love that game! Although I hate playing Skeleton Orchestra and Lillia

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

That is a really fair point, TMS should have had some rhythm game minigame in it. That being said its still a fun game, I still think of it as the game that most made me feel like I was playing a Magical Girl Anime.

C'mon Atlus/IntSys! Get on that!

Fiona

It's the same swimsuit he wears at the beginning of Shrek 1 iirc.

Oh no, hopefully the clumsy puppers is ok...

He is! Thank goodness.

32 minutes ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

Woohoo!  The local Shrek meme factory of Serenes Forest is open again!

Y'all drag me back from the grave.

32 minutes ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

Boy with all this box pushing and drowning makes this game sound more and more like a puzzle game.  Wonder how many of the kids back in the day had their attention glued to this?

This game is probably somebody's childhood.

33 minutes ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

Just in case anyone was about to make a "Hell freezes over." comment.

I mean, it certainly did in January!

33 minutes ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

Sounds like he thought your cry for help was a little more desperate than it actually was.

Actually the one I was talking to then is different from the one that fell. Pepe is definitely more graceful than Chico.

34 minutes ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

For fanservice.  Seriosuly, in what way is Shrek not Top 3 Husbando material at minimum?

It's Shrexy time!

20 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I love that game! Although I hate playing Skeleton Orchestra and Lillia

I took me ages, but I eventually got A minimum on every song on every difficulty, and Skeleton Orchestra took me the longest lol. The secret is to reposition your hand so that you just wave your fingers for the  swing beat (it's weird).

1 hour ago, Ika Musume said:

I took me ages, but I eventually got A minimum on every song on every difficulty, and Skeleton Orchestra took me the longest lol. The secret is to reposition your hand so that you just wave your fingers for the  swing beat (it's weird).

I'm going to dread doing that because I have Mirai on the list of games I wanna play for this (for no reason other than that it's third party. But I'm not going to add it to the rankings because it's not shovelware. Same thing with the three LEGO games and Nintendogs) and I plan on unlocking all of the items for the shop and one of the things you need to do to unlock some of the items is to clear certain songs on hard and that song is one of them. (The only other songs I remember that I need to do that for are 1,2 Fanclub, Common World Domination, Matryoshka, and I think also Snowman?)

Espurr goes through immense pain and suffering playing Shrek Forever After! (part I'M FREE! ESPURR IS FREE!)

So, uh. Guys?

I switched over to another tab so take a picture, but when I switched back to this tab, Serenes didn't load anything except for what I wrote above. So we're missing an entire level and a half of what I wrote. Don't worry guys, It wasn;t anything interesting. I'm still pissed though.

Anyway, the second level is done.

Rumpel explains that he captured Fiona to lure Shrek here and makes her agree to sign a contract to surrender herself and he'll stop capturing the other ogres. Or something. Was this in the movie? I can't remember, but you're supposed to write in Fiona's name, and I, being the mature person that I am, somehow managed to squeeze in "fuck me' instead of Fiona. I wish I could show you my handiwork, but my dog is on me and he's preventing me from taking pictures. Thanks, Pepe.

Great, I drowned because the floor and the water were the same color.

Well, I messed up a puzzle, so, when it doubt, drown Shrek. (Note: Espurrhoodie does not condone drowning Shrek. Or at least that's what my lawyers want me to say)

End of level. One more level, and then I can be free at last.....

Aaaaand once again, I accidentally died after finishing a puzzle.

sigh.

Finally.... I'm finished with the last level.

With a weirdass stylus minigame to drag Fiona and Shrek close together so they can kiss, we are finished.

What did I think of it?

Yeah, it was bad. I'm just.... exhausted, with how bad it is.

Would I rather watch Shrek the Third or play this again? I'd definitely rather watch Shrek the Third because at least I can mentally drift off while watching Shrek the Third. So, current ranking:

1.) Tangled

2.) Shrek Forever After

Anyway, I'll set up the poll in a few minutes so y'all can vote for what I play next. Please be merciful

Wow, not even a big celebration of how it's over, it was that exhausting to get through.

Onto our regular observations news however, this game has official been

Shrekt | Know Your Meme

They always say it isn't ogre until it's ogre, and it looks like the ending was about as tear wrenching as a baby watching onions getting cut.

And what other better way to celebrate?  These for everybody!

Hostess Twinkies - Shrek - October 2004 | Here's a special e… | Flickr

… Okay fine, here's the obligatory music video ending.

20 minutes ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

Wow, not even a big celebration of how it's over, it was that exhausting to get through.

I'm deadass drained rn. Send help.

Anyway, the poll is up.