Espurr plays old DS shovelware (and some others)! Suffering through: Kung Fu Panda 2

Espurrhoodie

Oh frick, I just remembered: Mick Wingert isn't the only FE VA we'll be seeing in my shovelware journey. I forgot that Lani Minella, aka Mia, voiced Smefanye the main character in America's Next Top Model! Although, to be fair, I don't know if the DS version has voice acting in it.

56 minutes ago, Benice said:

I am still Un"Abel" to believe that an FE VA would participate in this, though.

That was bad, go home. jk

56 minutes ago, Benice said:

That pig is glorious.

That pig will show up in my nightmares. The fact he's the apothecary makes me think he deals in certain... other kinds of "medicines".

57 minutes ago, Benice said:

Mayhaps he's just got a very very thick tatoo?

That could be likely.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Cron said:

Imagine being competitive at this game with multiplayer. I think a pair of friends who owned this game had to be.

I think this is the closest thing for competitive Kung Fu Panda.

There might be others though.

Also, I've surprisingly have never played DS shovelware since I was obsessed with Pokemon when I first had a DS. I once bought Cory in The House for the memes but never played it. I mostly played GBA shovelware or games that were based on movies though back when I was a child. Wish my GBA or DS Lite worked to revisit those games.

Whoops, didn't see your comment!

I stopped buying shovelware after I bought Pokemon X. Never gave shovelware the time of day after that until this LP.

Once I get a computer, I should probably add Cory in the House to the poll.

I think I actually have 3 GB shovelware games. A Disney Princess game for the GBA I never figured out how to save with because it used passwords (seriously, why was that a thing?), Catz for the GBA, and a Shrek fighting game on GBC. All of which were given to me by my cousin.

4 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I've heard the Xbox 360 version is pretty good, but I've never tried it.

I actually have the Xbox 360 version with Kinect! It absolutely SUCKS There's minigames where you have to lean in front of the camera to turn a cart and a ton of other things to do with the camera that I don't remember.

7 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Oh yeah! Quick announcement: I'm going to be unavailable on Saturdays because of DnD. Anyway...

Have fun! I tend to play RPGs like DnD on Saturdays as well.

OH GOOD NAGA HE LOOKS HORRIFYING!:

15871582392461589846058.jpg

Was this pulled from another videogame or something?! It looks so bad!

Yikes. I get the feeling this is a model they took directly from the movie, but no one ever intended for it to be seen this close, and this still, which is what makes it so...Ugh....

Oh yeah, apparently the VA for Po in this is also the same VA as Jesse in SoV and Arden, Abel, Jeorge, and Inigo/Laslow in Heroes, making this the first (and probably only) FE voice actor in these shovelware games.

Huh, that is an interesting piece of trivia.

3 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Oh frick, I just remembered: Mick Wingert isn't the only FE VA we'll be seeing in my shovelware journey. I forgot that Lani Minella, aka Mia, voiced Smefanye the main character in America's Next Top Model! Although, to be fair, I don't know if the DS version has voice acting in it.

Well that is another interesting tidbit that I probably should know, but I never pay that much attention to Voice Actors (or Actors in general if I am being honest). I kinda hope the DS one ends up being close to the comedy gold the wii one is.

3 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

A Disney Princess game for the GBA I never figured out how to save with because it used passwords (seriously, why was that a thing?),

Passwords were a way of dealing with saving a game without using extra hardware for non-volatile memory. Basically it was a way to "save your game" without the game having to write to memory, and simply read user inputs. It was a standard from olden times when such technology was either cumbersome, or expensive, probably used on that old shovelware to make manufacturing the cartridges cheaper, as they would need to add in a memory battery and the tiny bit of RAM needed to save the game. I would expect that more from the GB or maybe even GBC era game, which makes me think they were just being super cheap with their cartridges.

6 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Well that is another interesting tidbit that I probably should know, but I never pay that much attention to Voice Actors (or Actors in general if I am being honest). I kinda hope the DS one ends up being close to the comedy gold the wii one is.

Honestly I hope that the DS version is the exact same thing as the Wii. The Wii version was glorious.

6 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Passwords were a way of dealing with saving a game without using extra hardware for non-volatile memory. Basically it was a way to "save your game" without the game having to write to memory, and simply read user inputs. It was a standard from olden times when such technology was either cumbersome, or expensive, probably used on that old shovelware to make manufacturing the cartridges cheaper, as they would need to add in a memory battery and the tiny bit of RAM needed to save the game. I would expect that more from the GB or maybe even GBC era game, which makes me think they were just being super cheap with their cartridges.

Huh, interesting.

I've still never been able to figure out how they work, though