Espurr plays old DS shovelware (and some others)! Suffering through: Kung Fu Panda 2

Espurrhoodie

^title.

At the request of many people (and by many people, I mean @Eltosian Kadath, and @BEST TRYNDAMERE PLAYER. I was going to do this even if no one wanted me to), I am going to LP old shovelware I have.

I genuinely don't remember most of these games.

I'm not sure if anyone wants to see me cover LEGO Harry Potter, LEGO Lord of the Rings, or Nintendogs since they're both good games and Nintendogs is first party, but I might as well cover them if someone wants me to.

I think the LPs for Nursery 2 and Bunnyz Bunch would be short since I remember those games being short.

I can't take screenshots, unfortunately.

So yeah, which one of these eldritch abominations lost to time do you wanna see first?

Edited by Espurrhoodie

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

Wreck-It Ralph gets my vote. And yeah, you should do a Nintendogs LP sometime down the line.

I remember the beginning of Wreck-it Ralph spoiling the entire movie.

35 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Can you take pictures of the screen though?

It would look like hot garbage.

Also, I don't know of a good place to upload pictures.

9 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

It would look like hot garbage.

Also, I don't know of a good place to upload pictures.

1: Do it anyway, it will help us see what you're describing.

2: I use postimg, but imgur is a popular choice.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

1: Do it anyway, it will help us see what you're describing.

2: I use postimg, but imgur is a popular choice.

Yeah, I probably should. Mostly because I remember ZhuZhu Puppies looking horrendous.

Oh, hey. Tangled. I remember my sister had that game. I also remember the minigames being repetitive, even if painting mustaches on the wanted posters occasionally got a chuckle out of us.

Somehow I've heard of Petz Bunny Bunch before, despite knowing nothing about the game itself. I'd chalk that up to the days I thought that typing random words into search engines was a good idea. Who am I kidding? I still need to break that habit.

Anyway, @Rezzy did an LP of Fates: Conquest a year back using phone pictures, so if that's your only option, don't be afraid to use it.

15 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Oh, hey. Tangled. I remember my sister had that game. I also remember the minigames being repetitive, even if painting mustaches on the wanted posters occasionally got a chuckle out of us.

The music in those was pretty repetitive, too.

15 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Somehow I've heard of Petz Bunny Bunch before, despite knowing nothing about the game itself. I'd chalk that up to the days I thought that typing random words into search engines was a good idea. Who am I kidding? I still need to break that habit.

I heard about it as a child because it kept getting advertised around the same time my pet rabbit died.

16 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Anyway, @Rezzy did an LP of Fates: Conquest a year back using phone pictures, so if that's your only option, don't be afraid to use it.

The picture quality would be even worse since I have Android.

17 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Yeah, I hope the quality wasn't too bad, but I don't have a capture card or anything.

31 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

The picture quality would be even worse since I have Android.

I took pictures with my old Android with my Revelations LP (and current Awakening one, speaking of which I may have to get back to that). As long as you get it to focus its not the worst quality.

Side note, I pity the Lego games a bit as it sounds like the quality of Nintendogs may be dragging them into the next poll.

14 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I took pictures with my old Android with my Revelations LP (and current Awakening one, speaking of which I may have to get back to that). As long as you get it to focus its not the worst quality.

My hands are really shaky, so that's another issue.

15 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Side note, I pity the Lego games a bit as it sounds like the quality of Nintendogs may be dragging them into the next poll.

The Lego games are actually pretty good.

14 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

May I add a suggestion if you can find a copy?
After all, how could you not include it in a list of shovelware? This is the epitome.
00250d77f23d4772e67885383c267737-wtf-ds-

Sounds tempting.

I'll consider it if I find a copy at the bottom of the bargain bin.

EDIT: actually, if I can find an emulator that plays DS games, I can emulate it once I get a computer.

Edited by Espurrhoodie

3 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Apparently it goes by the less memorable name of "Astrology DS, the Stars in your hands" outside of the PAL region. Go figure.

That will help me find it better.

Apparently it has no reviews on Metacritic.

I just realized.... you know what game came out on the Wii and also has a DS version?

AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL, BABY!

Espurr plays Tangled! (Part 1)

(Also, I disabled autocorrect)

The frick is DGamer?
I thought this game took a while to load, but I just didn’t tap anything bcz I was typing and I woke up like 20 minutes ago.
The game begins telling the same backstory the movie begins with about the sun and the flower and whatnot.
I wish I could have taken a picture, but baby Rapunzel looked horrifying.
What are sundrops supposed to do? The game says to collect them but idk wjat they do.
And here we get into my main criticism of the game: the minigames are repetitive.
I think this “befriending Pascal” (also, why does Pascal need to be befriended? He's known Rapunzel for years?) minigame is used 10 times throughout the entire game.

20191116-083329.jpg

After befriending Pascal, it's time to paint! Not really. You just take a color and scratch the entire bottom screen until the painting is finished. And then you talk to Gothel, who looks kinda high for some reason:

15739123518111412843311.jpg

Time to brush Rapunzel's long AF hair! (Also, I only just started and I have 41 sundrops. The hell do I use these for?) You just drag your stylus on leaves and brish them out. But you should really just pick the leaves out of your hair rather than brush them in.

After brushing her hair, Rapunzel then causes brain trauma to Flynn. Poor Flynn. And bribes him into taking her out.

I think that's a good point to pause. Sorry for the first part being short. I'm getting used to this.

2 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I think this “befriending Pascal” (also, why does Pascal need to be befriended? He's known Rapunzel for years?) minigame is used 10 times throughout the entire game.

I am kinda hoping some of those feature Flynn or the horse befriending Pascal, but that seems optimistic . Also 10 times...is a lot, and I doubt they do enough to ramp-up the difficult or mix thing up.

20191116-083329.jpg

This image is a treasure trove of questions and comments. First Pascal looks really out of place in this, with Rapunzel having this fully realized 3d model, and him looking like a sprite. It could just be the way the two of them don't look like they are interacting, with no shadow or shifting of clothes to make Pascal look like she is one Rapunzel's leg instead of poorly photoshopped onto her leg. I am kinda getting that old school animation vibe where you can kinda tell what can move (Pascal), and what is the background by this difference in quality. Next thing that comes to mind is where did she find this field of grass with flowers... inside the tower?

You just drag your stylus on leaves and brish them out. But you should really just pick the leaves out of your hair rather than brush them in.

I do kinda wonder how she got leaves in her hair while inside the tower, but I guess the wind might have blown them in while raising/lower mother Gothel. Also brushing must be a daylong affair with that much hair (lets not even think about the hassle washing that much hair would be)

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I am kinda hoping some of those feature Flynn or the horse befriending Pascal, but that seems optimistic . Also 10 times...is a lot, and I doubt they do enough to ramp-up the difficult or mix thing up.

Not exactly. iirc, it's reused with other animals, including Maximus (the horse).

This image is a treasure trove of questions and comments. First Pascal looks really out of place in this, with Rapunzel having this fully realized 3d model, and him looking like a sprite. It could just be the way the two of them don't look like they are interacting, with no shadow or shifting of clothes to make Pascal look like she is one Rapunzel's leg instead of poorly photoshopped onto her leg. I am kinda getting that old school animation vibe where you can kinda tell what can move (Pascal), and what is the background by this difference in quality. Next thing that comes to mind is where did she find this field of grass with flowers... inside the tower?

Pascal does get closer as the minigame progresses.

I can't explain the background, though. Maybe the devs were lazy? Oh who am I kidding? This is shovelware.

I do kinda wonder how she got leaves in her hair while inside the tower, but I guess the wind might have blown them in while raising/lower mother Gothel. Also brushing must be a daylong affair with that much hair (lets not even think about the hassle washing that much hair would be)

I had hip length hair until last month and let me tell you, it was a hassle.

While I'm waiting for Okami to install, I'm going to play more of this!

Yay?

Espurr plays Tangled! (part 2)

After leaving the tower, I have to talk to Flynn, again, and SERIOUSLY WHAT IS THE POINT OF THESE SUNDROPS? DO THEY DO ANYTHING?

Anyways, Flynn wants me to skedaddle because he hears something, and so we do.

I encounter another minigame where you mimic what some frogs on the top screen are doing with frogs on the bottom screen.

1574012696215994892327.jpg

I also realize that taking pictures for this is as easy as putting my DS near my knees and lifting my tablet a little to take said pictures.

It goes until you get something wrong. Or in my case, when you stop caring.

I keep unlocking things for something called Dgamer. I'm going to assume Dgamer doesn't exist anymore.

Our first repeat minigame! It's the Pascal one, but with a bird instead of Pascal.

15740131881262034526521.jpg

Something I noticed is that on the picture I took of this minigame the last time, Rapunzel's hips looked dislocated once she started petting the animal. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the entire upper part of Rapunzel's body is a 3D model while the rest is a sprite. It would have looked nearly seamless if she didn't dislocate her body once she started petting the bird.

Also, her hair was glowing for some reason. I thought she only did that when she started singing?

Anyway, I have to find some random girl named Nadya's kitten, who got scared off because Nadya's brothers were being mean. I don't remember that in the movie.

I found her kitten, and surprise, surprise, it's the same minigame as the one I mentioned above. 

I found another minigame involving Pascal where you drag mosquitoes to Pascal to feed him. First of all, he's a chameleon, he can get them himself.

1574014142857900148084.jpg

Second of all, I remember this minigame getting reused with different textures at least two other times in the game. One where you're in the flooding cave and have to drag air bubbles to Rapunzel, and another time at the end of the game where (and I shit you not) you have to drag Rapunzel's tears to Flynn's dead body.

Yeah. I'm dead serious.

Something I should mention is that the controls are good for shovelware. They're quite responsive and accurate during the befriending animals minigame, so that's a plus.

After giving Nadya her kitten back, she decides to give Rapunzel a hairbrush (Which begs the question of why Rapunzel didn't bring one considering how long her hair is) and you have to brush Rapunzel's hair again. Thankfully, you can skip this minigame since you already did it. Unfortunately, I accidentally hit play.

Why is the brush you use in the minigame a thin comb? I didn't take a picture of it, but that thing is spindly. It should not be used for Rapunzel and her 70+ foot long hair.

After going through a cave, we are finally in the outside world! I think that's a decent place to end things off.

...is what I would say if this game had a save option.

Really, Disney? You couldn't be bothered to add in a save button? I'm going to have to keep playing? My tea is cold. I would like to drink said tea. I've been doing this for an hour and a half. Or maybe it just feels longer because I'm typing.

Sigh, I guess I'll have to finish this chapter then. Good thing I have nothing to do today.

Anyway, I encounter Nadya's brothers, who won't let me/Rapunzel pass because we're friends with Nadya. But will let me/Rapunzel pass if we give them Nadya's kitten.

Fuck you too, I guess.

After talking to Nadya, she suggests that Rapunzel should give them something they think is a kitten, but really isn't.

After doing some searching, I find a skunk.

Guess what I have to do next?

It's only chapter 2 and I've done this "animal friends"/befriending animals minigame four times. Sure the bird wasn't required, but I forgot that lead to a minigame.

At least the skunk looks kinda cute.

15740164989161825110521.jpg

I just noticed Rapunzel is missing her other toes. What is up with that?

After giving the skunk to Nadya's brothers, I have to wonder if their noses work. They should have smelled it multiple feet away. Trust me, I live in an area where skunks are decently common, and I can smell them when they even get near places, and days after the skunk has left. And my nose doesn't work well.

Apparently I called it quits early, because all I had to do was that and the chapter was finished.

Well, I'm calling it quits for now. See you on Tuesday! I can't really do Mondays and Wednesdays since I have tae kwon do classes on those days, but Tuesdays are alright!

1 hour ago, Espurrhoodie said:

While I'm waiting for Okami to install, I'm going to play more of this!

Yay?

Have fun, as that game has such a gorgeous art style, and the way the story is ingrained with Japanese mythology is utterly charming.

I keep unlocking things for something called Dgamer. I'm going to assume Dgamer doesn't exist anymore.

It little bit of googling shows Dgamer was a site Disney setup where you could play online games, and connect with your DS online to access additional content when linked with an account. Once the DS online servers were shutdown that part of the service died with it, so you are right. Also if those Sundrops have a use I am guessing it something to do with this Dgamer site.

15740131881262034526521.jpg

That bird looks like some kinda hideous troll baby that is about fall over.

Something I noticed is that on the picture I took of this minigame the last time, Rapunzel's hips looked dislocated once she started petting the animal. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the entire upper part of Rapunzel's body is a 3D model while the rest is a sprite. It would have looked nearly seamless if she didn't dislocate her body once she started petting the bird.

This whole minigame is becoming a cavalcade of horror.

Second of all, I remember this minigame getting reused with different textures at least two other times in the game. One where you're in the flooding cave and have to drag air bubbles to Rapunzel, and another time at the end of the game where (and I shit you not) you have to drag Rapunzel's tears to Flynn's dead body.

Yeah. I'm dead serious.

So this minigame, in all of its forms, is about giving people/animals the things they need to live. That is really dark, I am afraid to ask what happens if you fail any of them.

Something I should mention is that the controls are good for shovelware. They're quite responsive and accurate during the befriending animals minigame, so that's a plus.

I guess Disney cared enough to ensure some quality control with games using its IP (as I doubt the shovelware studio cared)

...is what I would say if this game had a save option.

...Yikes, that is some frustratingly archaic game design. I guess with all those functional controls they had to cut corners somewhere.

I just noticed Rapunzel is missing her other toes. What is up with that?

Must have been a planned crossover with Awakening 😛. On a more serious note, its probably just that feet and hands are hard to get right, and they didn't want to try.

After giving the skunk to Nadya's brothers, I have to wonder if their noses work. They should have smelled it multiple feet away. Trust me, I live in an area where skunks are decently common, and I can smell them when they even get near places, and days after the skunk has left. And my nose doesn't work well.

I am legit disappointed they didn't follow through with the clear comedic setup, where the brother gets the skunk, and is sprayed in the face. Why make it a skunk if he wasn't going to get sprayed with its stink?

3 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

55 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Must have been a planned crossover with Awakening 😛.

Wait, that's the skunk from Bambi!

Guess you're half right on the crossover @Eltosian Kadath.

Oh good grief this minigame collection was a mistake, I'm sorry for voting for this.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Have fun, as that game has such a gorgeous art style, and the way the story is ingrained with Japanese mythology is utterly charming.

I've seen Chuggaaconroy's LP of that game, and that is what made me want to buy it! I think this is the third time he's made me want to buy a game.

It little bit of googling shows Dgamer was a site Disney setup where you could play online games, and connect with your DS online to access additional content when linked with an account. Once the DS online servers were shutdown that part of the service died with it, so you are right. Also if those Sundrops have a use I am guessing it something to do with this Dgamer site.

Ah, that explains alot!

That bird looks like some kinda hideous troll baby that is about fall over.

Yeah, you're right.

This whole minigame is becoming a cavalcade of horror.

I think it's just a layering error.

So this minigame, in all of its forms, is about giving people/animals the things they need to live. That is really dark, I am afraid to ask what happens if you fail any of them

And because you said that, I will deliberately fail one to see what happens.

I guess Disney cared enough to ensure some quality control with games using its IP (as I doubt the shovelware studio cared)

Apparently Disney's in-house game studio made this game. I didn't even know they had one.

...Yikes, that is some frustratingly archaic game design. I guess with all those functional controls they had to cut corners somewhere.

Would it have killed them to add in a save feature? Or maybe have the game autosave whenever you leave/enter an area?

I am legit disappointed they didn't follow through with the clear comedic setup, where the brother gets the skunk, and is sprayed in the face. Why make it a skunk if he wasn't going to get sprayed with its stink?

They failed one of the most obvious jokes in the book!

41 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Wait, that's the skunk from Bambi!

Wait, seriously? I didn't even notice that! Mostly because it's been years since I've last seen Bambi, but still!

42 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Oh good grief this minigame collection was a mistake, I'm sorry for voting for this.

This is one of the better games in the shovelware pile.

At least you didn't vote for the horror that is ZhuZhu Puppies.